• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OceanBlue

does it go Mushiishi s1 > ova > s2

or s1 > s2 > ova?

In order of release, it's S1 > OVA > S2. You could probably watch the OVA after S2 though without any real problems. They're all pretty disjointed from each other; a few people here started Mushishi with S2 I believe.

Erigu

does it go Mushiishi s1 > ova > s2
or s1 > s2 > ova?
As is generally the case with Mushishi, the order doesn't matter.
But if you'd prefer to follow the release order anyway, the special (I don't think it's an OVA) was made right before the second TV series. Then again, it's the animated adaptation of a short story that was written long after the original comic both TV series are based on, so...

Who can really say what the chronology of Mushiishi is?
The stories aren't even in the same order in the original comic and in the TV series...
That being said, the special (the animated adaptation, that is) briefly shows a bunch of characters from the first TV series, and that would imply it's set after those particular stories.

santeesioux

Someone on twitter is very upset that I dont like SAO.
What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.

SAO and Attack on Titan are shows i think i may have like when i was 15, but then i remembered i liked Cowboy Bebop and Trigun when i was 15. (I also liked Inuyasha so it evens out i guess)

Midonin

All these upcoming social game adaptations - Kantai Collection, Girlfriend (Beta) and iM@S Cinderella Girls - makes me curious how their anime will handle the massive cast of characters present in each. Since more of Girlfriend's cast was announced - and it includes a lot of big name VAs - I'm hoping that at least one of them takes the Sengoku Collection method. Anthology anime can be pretty great when done right.

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 28
Suddenly plot.

Gotta say though, Oyajiide is better at taking care of the kids than the two witches lol. He gained some respect points when he played the lullaby on the piano, for sure.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 09

Kero was being really passive-aggressive to Syaoran in the Kero Corner this week. Forced to cover his outfit by the producers, but didn't necessarily want to. Between Fly, Jump and now Sword, Sakura has enough stuff in her arsenal that she's more or less a classic magical girl. And again, the teacher-student romance angle. It's in this episode that I've realized that CCS has a much bigger and more fleshed out cast of side characters compared to Sailor Moon, though they're slightly different in their focus as magical girl shows anyhow.

What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.

I've asked this myself a bunch of times, too. There's just too little—nigh nothing really—good about this show to be this successful.

However it probably really does boil down to the fact that wish fulfillment is quite strong after all. Perhaps large parts of the younger audience have an easy time imagining themselves as this badass womanizer Kirito.

Also a strong OP can do wonders. It's not even really a favorite of mine but it has a catchy song (-intro at least) so maybe that added a bit, too.

Otherwise though...nice backgrounds, even though they're disjointed from one-another and feel like generic fantasy stuff.

edit: From a reddit thread about unpopular anime opinions:

SAO is my favorite anime. I don't know why, but apparantly on reddit this is an incredibly unpopular opinion.

Kirito is an interesting and multifaceted character that I can personally connect with, the art and music are gorgeous, the story and plot are compelling, and the overall presentation is above almost every other anime I've watched.

I have watched Clannad, Steins;Gate, Madoka, Cowboy Bebop, Monogatari seasons 1 and 2, Evangelion, and full metal alchemist, and none of them were even remotely as good as SAO. It was so good that I re-watched it twice right after I watched it originally, then I watched it again when the english dub came out. It would be fair to say that I believe it is the best anime made so far.

tatsuki

ibdJJCHF078Kww.gif

ic6ntUBbjQsz7.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Ohhhh.
Ok.
It's fun*

*BGBW definition of fun

Branduil

Kirito isn't even a real womanizer, though. He doesn't have the smarmy charisma of a Tony Stark, or a Peter Quill; he doesn't even have the stoic, passive aura of charm like a Jotaro Kujo. He's just a vapid, personality-less Gary Stu who attracts women because they're written to be attracted to him, not because he actually has any attractive traits as a human being. He's pure wish fulfillment in the dullest, hackiest expression of that idea.

Momo Kyun Sword 7
Something stupidly important was lost. Just proves how much Onihime is probably the best girl in the show. Also, some foreshadowing from the humans

I honestly believe that I wouldn't dislike SAO as much if it weren't so highly regarded. I might've even enjoy it, the same way I enjoyed a lot of other generic, but fun harem series. It just isn't as good as it's popularity makes it out to be.

Firemind

While true theres just something particularly ridiculous about him in particular.
There's some truth in the author's wish-fulfillment. Parts of it are exaggerated though. I'm pretty sure the nurse is just teasing him. That or she's a shotacon. Sachi and Silica didn't add romantic tension. Same with Shinon (yet). I think Suguha just soured people. :lol

I honestly believe that I wouldn't dislike SAO as much if it weren't so highly regarded. I might've even enjoy it, the same way I enjoyed a lot of other generic, but fun harem series. It just isn't as good as it's popularity makes it out to be.

Well popularity definitely plays a role. The only reason I started watching that show in the first place is because of how many recommendations I saw for it. That was mostly on /r/anime before I was browsing animeGAF. At least even on reddit I read that the second half was weaker.

Then I jumped in and even the first episode was kinda boring. But hey, it would probably pick up considering how many people like it and there's some good stuff you can dive into with that premise. But alas...

CorvoSol

I'd just like to remind you all that Sword Art Online is the show where a nerd who plays video games actively praises a mass murderer while simulating a particularly brutal murder himself.

No one should ever enjoy that fucking travesty.

Hanamonogatari

Kanbaru is the most adorable thing ever: http://a.pomf.se/avcnpw.webm

Man. This one. This one was so god damn good. I mean holy shit. Sure there was a whole lot more dialogue and I mean a lot more dialogue it seems than some of the other character's stories but I loved absolutely every minute of it because all of the dialogue and internal monologue felt like it actually mattered and wasn't just there for fluffy or pointless talking like the series is known for doing at times. I was also surprised at how much I liked it as well since Arararararagi plays a relatively minor role in it all.
Couldn't help but feel bad for Namuchi though I never even suspected that she wasn't alive anymore though looking back on it I suppose the hints were there be easily overlooked.

Excellently done. Bravo SHAFT.

i wonder about this sometimes, but i don't know. i feel like i don't even have to be nit-picking to come up with a massive list of flaws and missed opportunities because the show comes off like it wants to be taken semi-seriously. if it seemed like average fun "trapped in a video game!" stuff, a lot of the problems would slide, or at least not be as big of a deal as they are.

Quasar

Are there any male anime screenwriters that get the same reaction out of people as Okada does? Because I've never had too much of a problem with her, and at times it can seem like the criticism is being directed at Okada herself instead of at her writing.

I cant really think of any writers who seem to be as vilified around here (though for me her presence gets me interested). Which I guess is unusual...writers seem non entities, its directors/studios who get talked about more and praised/hated.

survivor

Banned
Zetsumetsu Kigu Shoujo: Amazing Twins
This show could have been so much more, but it decided to go the safe route. Too much battle shounen and power of friendships save everything than I would have liked to see. Action scenes reminded me of Yozakura Quartet out of all shows and they were pretty much lighthearted and a bit fun, but well this isn't exactly the reason I checked out this anime. Also for a 2 episodes OVA, there surprisingly were a lot of characters that did pretty much nothing.

Samurai Champloo 18

Mugen learns to read. This show is hilarious sometimes with it's OTT characters like the reading/writing teacher.

Was Samurai Champloo animated by the same studio that did The Boondocks? The art is sooooo familiar.

The baseball episode in Samurai Champloo is particularly awesome, as great as 'filler' episodes go. It was so awesome that the Boondocks did a Dodgeball episode as an homage.

Quasar

Pretty sure it was the one-two punch of Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha followed by Black Rock Shooter soon after.

Still havent seen Black Rock (of course theres lots of shows she wrote for I haven't seen), but those other two are I think the source of my Okada love.

Rhapsody

Banned
Pretty sure it was the one-two punch of Anohana and Hanasaku Iroha followed by Black Rock Shooter soon after.

Welp. I enjoyed Anohana and most of Hanasaku Iroha (I feel like the 2nd half was less eventful). Never watched BRS TV.

There aren't too many staff members I really dislike. There's Chiaki Kon, but at least Nodame Cantible got out okay.

wonzo

Banned
I'd just like to remind you all that Sword Art Online is the show where a nerd who plays video games actively praises a mass murderer while simulating a particularly brutal murder himself.

No one should ever enjoy that fucking travesty.
@momsagainstgam's was right

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom