• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
SAO Episode 9

HOOOOOOOOOOLYYY FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! That was AWESOME! I forgive all his whiny moments that led to this fight, because man this was good, very good. Finally this anime showed something awesome for a change.

And that setup for the next episode,
the duel
, maan, this took a while but it is finally getting better.

Next episode I'll see if he is a true Gary Stu or just another pretender.

Dual wielding too OP, Ghostcrawler, pls nerf.
(Yes I know he is not at Blizz anymore)

I genuinely can't tell if people hate SAO as much by their own or if AnimeGAF's majority opinion clouded their vision on it in a bandwagon effect. How was the run on Toonami?

Gazoinks

Nice to see dimb's comments on Dennou Coil, as I'm working through it myself. Definitely a great show so far. That beard episode!

THAT BEARD EPISODE.

Kieli

It's every bit stupid as the people deriding it make it out to be.

I watched SII with no expectations. Absofuckinglutely none because I hadn't even watched the first one.

And I was still disappointed.

But as far as shows go, it's quite harmless. So I don't really care. I don't put down people for their opinions of the show (because I like RWBY, so I kind of now understand what it's like to like a show that's shat upon, lmfao).

Kieli

lol that's your own fault by starting with the second season.

I understood the gist. He has a harem after him and a girl who worships him like a god.

Kind of confused as to why the author continues to introduce girls when he already "closed" the harem. What's the point?

SAO Episode 10

Wait, what? Really? What a lame ass duel,
Kirito got owned six ways from sunday.
Although I liked the other guy, not the character itself but the skills, I love tanking so
I liked what he did.

Not a very good episode, IMO, and it even ended with Kirito
being a pussy, instead of, you know. Scratch that, I wrote this while there was a bit of episode going, so I missed he asking her to marry him. Still, only bad things happen when protagonists decide to live a happy life, RDR taught me that.

My favorite scene:

Kirito: Pokes Asuna in the head while she is sleeping.
Asuna: Wakes up.
Kiritor: Sorry, I woke you up, didn't I?

Really, captain obvious?

Firemind

I understood the gist. He has a harem after him and a girl who worships him like a god.

Kind of confused as to why the author continues to introduce girls when he already "closed" the harem. What's the point?
It's not a harem. She's infatuated with him, yes. Do you have a significant other?

Mendrox

Right?!? It's really weird!

Hamatora and Re:Hamatora are the most useless, shittiest and worst animated anime series that I have ever watched. And still here I am, watching every episode weekly. It's like a car crash that I have to see myself. This series should go to hell and never come back.

These guys clearly have no budget at all and love still shots and uguuu faces. Also the story sucks. I clearly remember the bathhouse episode where the anime went down so fast that I couldnt believe what I watched.

Why do I do this. Everybody who reads this: DONT WATCH THIS POS

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
SAO Vita is up on PSN.

I know we got some other big SAO fans in here so I thought I'd just remind all of them. Can't wait to play it later today.

Wait, right topic.

SAO Vita is up on PSN.

I know we got some other big SAO fans in here so I thought I'd just remind all of them. Can't wait to play it later today.

code-11.gif

Keep doing God's work, son. Thanks.

Still 3 episodes before I can play the game, gogogo.

Jex

Today I've been reading Making Comics by Scott McCloud, not because I have any interest in creating my own but to held better understand the visual language how comics, how they build and convey meaning etc.

While most of the ideas discussed within (clarity, panel transitions, backgrounds, character design, expressions) etc apply to any kind of comic (or in some cases, animation/film etc) he does briefly touch on his experience with manga in a short section I thought was fairly on-point in it's assessment (apologies for the scan quality, click to enlarge):

It's a pretty good all round read for anyone interested in the topic and I'll also be picking his earlier work Understanding Comics as I understand it covers more of his theory where as this particular text is also a practical guide.

Today I've been reading Making Comics by Scott McCloud, not because I have any interest in creating my own but to held better understand the visual language how comics, how they build and convey meaning etc.

While most of the ideas discussed within (clarity, panel transitions, backgrounds, character design, expressions) etc apply to any kind of comic (or in some cases, animation/film etc) he does briefly touch on his experience with manga in a short section I thought was fairly on-point in it's assessment (apologies for the scan quality:

It's a pretty good all round read for anyone interested in the topic and I'll also be picking his earlier work Understanding Comics as I understand it covers more of his theory where as this particular text is also a practical guide.

I read two of his books as an assignment from college. I liked both a lot.

Gazoinks

While most of the ideas discussed within (clarity, panel transitions, backgrounds, character design, expressions) etc apply to any kind of comic (or in some cases, animation/film etc) he does briefly touch on his experience with manga in a short section I thought was fairly on-point in it's assessment (apologies for the scan quality:

All three of McCloud's books are definitely worth reading for anyone interested in comics and visual storytelling. Making and Reinventing are both pretty much exclusively about comics, but I always felt Understanding had a lot of theory that applied to most visual media. Great books.

Shergal

I've wanted to read Understanding Comics for a while, never got around to it. Seems to be quite well-received among mostly everybody too.

-------
Motto! Ojamajo Doremi Movie
I do think this one needed a bit more runtime, but it was a neat little piece directed not by Igarashi this time, but by Yamauchi.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 25
iAYQdWSLo1UB4.jpg

FUCK YOU.
When will steak happen!?!?
Also great riff on the S1 ending.

SAO Episode 11

Nice episode, I liked the development between the pair, but the girl that appeared in the end looks like trouble (Yui). Nothing much to say besides that, I guess.

Jex

All three of McCloud's books are definitely worth reading for anyone interested in comics and visual storytelling. Making and Reinventing are both pretty much exclusively about comics, but I always felt Understanding had a lot of theory that applied to most visual media. Great books.

Yes, I should be receiving Understanding Comics tomorrow and I look forward diving into it.

Incidentally, it must be odd for comic creator to be known primarily for their theory textbooks then their actual comic book creations.

PK Gaming

While most of the ideas discussed within (clarity, panel transitions, backgrounds, character design, expressions) etc apply to any kind of comic (or in some cases, animation/film etc) he does briefly touch on his experience with manga in a short section I thought was fairly on-point in it's assessment (apologies for the scan quality, click to enlarge):

Wow, that does seem like a good read. Thanks for the heads up.

I've been wanting to draw in a comic-style for a while now, but I always end up giving up, haha.

fertygo

Its Aika's time!

Aria the Origination - 10

Man tbh I really don't care with the 2nd half, yuri goggles aside I always feel I don't have any reason to give a damn to Aika/Al romance subplot, plus man.. its hard to take it seriously with the shouta looks.

Aria the Origination - 11

Based on eps 10, I thought this Aika's mini arc not gonna leaving strong impression as Alice's, what a foolish prediction.. playing it from Akira's PoV is brilliant and unlike what they do with Alice, its total straight declaration, that scene give me really big smile.. awesome.

The 2nd half is even more brilliant though, they already playing the change of status quo card.. and its pretty amazing to see this final development for Alice, the scene with
satisfied customer
once again give me huge grin, this show man..

And that last 3 minute, its a frigging emotion rocket.. goddamn

With the gang visiting Alice, her breakdown.. the gang consoling him,, oh man..
And you know even Aika's cartoonish punch-line felt different for this context, its like underlining "we always be there" remark, just incredible.

I don't want this to over guise..

And OMG at that preview.. Guise, guise... I can't..

SAO Episode 12

Well, that was a touching episode. Not the kind that I usually like, but it was well done.
For a moment I thought they would add another Mary Sue to the party, but it seems like that was short lived.

Almost forgot that the Reaper from the Persona series made a cameo, heh.

Onto episode 13 I go.

cajunator

Banned
Madoka-2

Witch Realms are like someones on a baaaad trip.

Not much has happened. Madoka is a moe-blob, Homura is going to be the villain with good intentions, Sakuya is annoying and Mami is life. QB makes me want to hit someone, his smug ass face could make even Gil angry. Man, if anything happens to Mami I'm going to rage.

Well onto EP3. Guess this is where ''shit gets real"

Trust me, this is going to be quite the interesting viewing experience.

Hitsugi no Chaika Season 1

Finished the show today and really liked it overall. Chaika was the highlight without a doubt for me, she is to adorable. I assume at the end of the last episode that Viivi
turns into another Chaika? Only thing I can assume by what happened to her
I suppose we will find out this fall.

Working! Season 1

This show was great, Popura was one of my favorite parts of it. Didn't think a show about people working at a restaurant would be so great. The cross dressing episodes were a highlight as well and Popura's reaction to it. Going to watch season 2 soon, looking forward to it.

In Chaika, what people are thinking is
when blue died along with little hitler, it createdcan imbalance in the number of chaika's so Vivi became one to restore the balance. Right out of Star Wars hehee

Log Horizon S2 first key visual

YEydMAg.jpg

Also three more cast members -

riseyoko-thumb-320x240-469655.jpg

Lize – Murakawa Rie

tetora-thumb-280x208-469660.jpg

Tetra – Fujii Yukiyo

kinjotate-thumb-240x320-469650.jpg

Kinjo – Yonaga Tsubasa

Is it just me or does the art look a bit different

It does look a bit different but more Log horizon is great!

I just saw a trailer for a movie called Maze Runner. And I can't help but feel that it'd be 100% more interesting if instead it was Maize Runner.

I saw that trailer too. Looks really bizarre but probably a lot of fun. IT could be really awesome or really really terrible.

Going through my OSTs and man I love My Soul, Your Beats!

Also, my signed Oath Sign CD by LiSA is missing. :)

That song is pretty awesome. Definitely gets you excited for the show. whether or not the show delivers on that OP is up to the viewer.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't read Understanding Comics first.

Are you -really- sure you want to lose? Because it's going to be a really, really stupid avatar.
Doing an avatar bet with duckroll sounds dangerous.
It's not like Aqua has anything to lose on that avatar. I'll never do an avatar bet with an animegaffer because I'm sure that if I lost they'd make me have an anime moe kawaii dog with tits or something.
Coward. I didn't know you were a scaredy cat.

Hmm... Maybe I should watch it then.
Why do you do this to yourself?

Midonin

Momo Kyun Sword 07

Momoko/Onihime are my yuri couple of the season. The princess can make all the excuses she wants, but it's clear that she's just in this for a good fight with her rival/girlfriend and the actual peach fragments seem to be secondary to that. I'm also curious about what exactly the human faction is planning. From the designs, I want to say a robot, but I'm not sure how that would help them gain dominance over the human world. It'd have to cover a much broader range. All things considered, Onihime's dad is also a pretty chill guy.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks yo. Throwback to the greatest scene in history.

Lol awesome avatar. Definitely one of the most amazing scenes I have seen.

Oh god no, not the tiny hats!

Tiny hats can be good when done correctly. I like Mio's and Chocolat's for example. Very cute.

Anime has taught me not to trust women with magic hats.

LOOOOOL

Thanks Linkman for letting me use the adorable Chiyo Toad as an Avatar. It's just too cute to pass up haha. Also thanks to Phoenix for also being a pro at photoshop and actually making it transparent for me!

ITS SO CUUUUUUUUTE
*hugs the hell out of it

About Madoka, I can't be the only one who thought
Mami was the bad guy in disguise, right?

Initially that was a possibility, but the more she talked with Madoka and the others it just felt like she
was a tragic case destined for the bad end
She was way too easygoing but something definitely felt odd about her.

Madoka-3

hahahaha, you thought this was going to be a light hearted kids show, you were wrong, dead wrong. Mami sure has gotten ahead in life. no tears only suffering, but, I can guess she'll be revived next episode, i'm sure she will.

This show contains Mari Okada levels of despair without the stupid writing/acting

Now I'm interested. What is so superior about Princess Tutu?

If you ask this again, Cat shall make you marry him.

Hmm, I don't know, this kind of character doesn't excite me much. This is the reason why I don't watch Evangelion, everything that I read about Shinji makes me think he is a whiny asshole.

Anyway, another one:

SAO episode 4

Really? They really had to show the little girl in undergarments? Other than that, he is really showing up as "I'm the best, kneel dirty peasants" kinda player. Also, I almost forgot, adding tentacles and vine monsters was a touch of class. Sigh.

Please get better. Please.

EDIT:

Who are the other two?

Please dont make the mistake of expecting SAO to get better. The pain will hurt less i you simply accept what it is.

Hugstable

Banned
Nozaki-kun Episode 7

I love everything about this anime, the facial expression and comedy is perfect and really well-timed, all the characters have quirks that make them hilarious, even the serious looking Nozaki-kun. Mikorin had me in stitches this whole episode as the playboy who isn't a playboy at all and really only knows how to make that first impression and then shits himself after. Easily one of my favorite shows this season, then again I'm not watching too many anime from this season right now since I'm still catching up on alot of older anime that I have yet to watch yet.

Midonin

Tonari no Seki-kun OVAs

Seki's skills at snowcrafting and creating obstacle courses have apparently been with him since he was a kid. But the hero Rumi is no match! The first OVA did remind me a little of the Yuushibu OVA, just with a more innocent tone. And the snow rabbit and snow penguins were adorable. This really does feel like the kind of show that could continue on for some time to come. Maybe a S2 someday.

Marimite ~Printemps~ 10-13 + Final Thoughts

The way that the end of episode 10 - the only time Yoshino and Rei got some focus this season - led into the small story arc that followed, with the rain and the umbrella, was a nice transition. I liked the ending of season 1 a little more, since Printemps.... I don't mind the drama, but it was overall a lot more dour. Everything turned out alright in the end, and we got a "I love you!" from Sachiko and Yumi, and a nice reconciliation for Yumiko (Lilian really is a place where stories repeat themselves, isn't it?). Overall, I felt the second season was a little bit more unbalanced in its focus than the first one. The White Rose family had a ton of screentime, and Yumi and Sachiko are always center stage, but I could've done with more Yoshino.

The vocal version of "Pastel Pure" was really well done, and the show is a pleasant thing to return to. I don't have a problem with Touko, even with the large amount of Kugyuu coming from her. Noriko's pretty interesting, and I look forward to seeing more of her. Shimako can be a little more open when she's around. Yumi herself even noted that she's becoming more fitting of her position.

So the next material from this show isn't a TV series technically, but five hour-long OVAs which are about as long as a 10-episode TV series in themselves. Interesting setup.

Before I start on Great Guardians, some confirmation on what the new Ikkitousen project for 2014 is went up recently. A new OVA called Extravaganza Epoch.

Jex

[Aldnoah.Zero] - 6 & 7

Where ham-fisted, obvious writing meets robot tropes you've seen before all scored by a composer you hate.

A winning combination.

SAO Episode 13

Well, it started slow but it ended very cool.
A 40+ man raid that reminded me of vanilla WoW or other MMOs,
that's a nice scene to end an episode. It also had Heathcliff showing the real badass that he is. Hopefully episode 14 will end nicely so I can go play the game without regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom