• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mature

You watched it dubbed? What was it like? Did they retain the Russian and Korean? Or was everything just dubbed into English? This seems like the sort of film which would lose something by being dubbed given how it's about a very specific clash of culture.
Yeah, they showed the dub debut at AX. It was a very nice event (that should have had a packed room, but of course didn't) and the director was even there to show it off with the English voice actor for the younger brother. They retained the Russian I believe... I have an awful memory, but I do remember being all-around surprised by its quality. I also remember not being brought out of the scenes that involved the culture clashes, so I think they handled it well. Perhaps watching the Japanese version will give me that much more appreciation for those scenes though.

Hunter x Hunter 143

qmipRDV.jpg

It's been a while since we saw the crazy clown filter.

I still don't remember this arc chronologically very well but I can feel it in my bones that they're getting close to that part and I think they only got 10 chapters left to adapt.

Gonna be sad when this is over.
At least I'll still have JoJo.

Someone on twitter is very upset that I dont like SAO.
What the fuck is it with this show? I seriously dont get it. Like I honestly dont understand what of ANY value anyone sees in it unless they have like a 15 year old view of romanc-

Ohhhh.
Ok.

Well if you're trying to understand why someone likes something that you don't like then insulting them probably isn't best way to start. But you said you were berated on Twitter so your anger is understandable.

I have a few reasons why I like SAO. One is because of the potential in its setting, being trapped in a virtual reality MMO is something I've only seen once before in .HACK//SIGN so seeing another anime with decent production values using the same setting is interesting to me. When I watched .HACK//SIGN I had plenty of thoughts and day dreams about how fun it would be to play an actual virtual reality game and I experienced the same at certain points in SAO. The show didn't make use of the setting as much as I expected but there were some things to enjoy.

Second would be the fight scenes. I really like watching well animated fight scenes with interesting choreography and SAO had a decent number of these. I would have liked to see more of these but it seems that their production budget didn't allow for more.

I think the story was going in an ok direction until after episode
13 where Asuna got demoted to damsel status. I think it would have been more interesting if the positions were switched, since that seems to be a rarity for a male character to be in need of rescuing. Or that idea could have been scrapped altogether but since the anime is an adaption I guess there was no chance of that happening to start. There are more issues that I don't think made any interesting contributions to the story like having 4 girls vying for Kirito's attention and love. After the last episode I've seen of season 2 I'm assuming that Sinon is going to be the 5th which is disappointing because I don't see any particular reason why that makes for an interesting development when there are already 4 girls after Kirito.

I could go into more issues but it's not really necessary. I think the point I want to make is that we all like things that contain flaws. Some people are more forgiving than others because they see some value that they enjoy that makes dealing with those flaws worth it. Everyone does this without exception. In the same way you don't understand why people like SAO, there are others that have no idea how you could enjoy certain things that they dislike.

Also this is more directed to a post I read in passing but I don't think that popularity should be taken as meaning that a game or show has few flaws or is of high quality (whatever that means in your view) but more that the people watching it see some value in it despite what flaws or issues it has.

Rhapsody

Banned
I don't recall SAO having particularly great battle choreography. The animation was good I guess in like a couple of early boss battles. Am I remembering wrong?

It had a lot of stills iirc (which isn't good). I think I remember one of the bosses having a decent one, but the others didn't stick out much for me.

CorvoSol

Sailor Moon 1

Before going anywhere with this, I'm aware that some of what I describe is going to relate to a number of other genres of fiction. But the comparison I'm drawing is in large part for my own benefit.

Anyway, there's a great deal of similarity to this and the set up to the average episode of Getter Robo G or Great Mazinger.

Queen Beryl is seated on her throne in an unnamed realm of evil, where she states her need for an unspecified but presumably large amount of energy to complete her evil scheme for the sake of a greater evil power. Sound familiar? That's because Emperors Gore and Burai were obsessed with getting their hands on Getter Rays for (in Gore's sake) a greater power.

In order to wrest this energy from humanity, One of Beryl's chief followers volunteers. Much like General Hidler would in Getter Go. Jadeite isn't going to sully his hands, though. Rather, he goes to Morga, one of his servants, and dispatches him, much as any villain in Great or G would do. This fourth-tier villain sorties to the human world, where our heroes will inevitably be ensnared in his scheme until they overthrow it.

Switch over to Sailor Moon, going about her every day teenaged life. (As insane as it sounds, Kouji, Tetsuya, Ryouma, Hayato et al were in fact all teenagers, too. Insanely jacked up ones, but still.) Rather than having the villain show up as an enemy athlete ready to show them all up, Sailor Moon stumbles across her foe while out shopping.

From there it plays out exactly as the first episode of a lot of mecha anime does. Sailor Moon is given her powers unexpectedly as disaster strikes, informed that this is her lot in life now, and uses her powers, after some important words from her sponsors, to strike down evil, sending the other villains running back to their masters.

If I had to point to any differences at this point, they'd all be the simple, obvious, and sorta superficial ones.

I don't recall SAO having particularly great battle choreography. The animation was good I guess in like a couple of early boss battles. Am I remembering wrong?

It had a lot of stills iirc (which isn't good). I think I remember one of the bosses having a decent one, but the others didn't stick out much for me.

There were one or two alright ones that I remember, other then that it wasn't really all that great.
The fight in the second(?) episode of SAO II with Sinon and that guy who really likes his chaingun was better then anything in the first two parts

Midonin

Sailor Moon 1

Before going anywhere with this, I'm aware that some of what I describe is going to relate to a number of other genres of fiction. But the comparison I'm drawing is in large part for my own benefit.

I'm a big fan of both magical girls and mecha, but when it comes to anime, I think I prefer magical girl anime more. I want to watch more mecha series - and have a few in my backlog - but ultimately I prefer magical girls because the stories are less likely to involve a war/military setting. So I prefer to go for more super robot-flavored things.

Not that robot shows can't have emotional moments - I know I've seen a few - but the emotions that magical girls tap into tend to resonate with me more. I mostly prefer my robots in the context of Super Sentai, it seems.

CorvoSol

I'm a big fan of both magical girls and mecha, but when it comes to anime, I think I prefer magical girl anime more. I want to watch more mecha series - and have a few in my backlog - but ultimately I prefer magical girls because the stories are less likely to involve a war/military setting. So I prefer to go for more super robot-flavored things.

Not that robot shows can't have emotional moments - I know I've seen a few - but the emotions that magical girls tap into tend to resonate with me more. I mostly prefer my robots in the context of Super Sentai, it seems.

I think you might be more interested in Super Robots than Real Robots, then. Real Robots are the ones with constant wars, but you can get some Super Robot shows where there's nothing of that sort. Like Dai-Guard.

Midonin

I've already made a decent list of mecha shows that I'd be interested in my backlog.

Now if someone were to combine magical girl shows and mecha... I know of at least one like that already. And it's in my backlog.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I've already made a decent list of mecha shows that I'd be interested in my backlog.

Now if someone were to combine magical girl shows and mecha... I know of at least one like that already. And it's in my backlog.

Sounds like you would be wanting Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

You've pretty much got Star Driver and Rayearth to choose from.

Midonin

Sounds like you would be wanting Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha.

You've pretty much got Star Driver and Rayearth to choose from.
I don't really count Star Driver in that category. Not magical girl-y enough for me. Rayearth is the one I was thinking of, and Nanoha (already seen it, hyped for Vivid) is coming from the opposite direction.

But my favorite magical girl/mecha combo is Happy Robo. Savior of mankind, piloted by Reika, Yayoi's the best.

Mothman91

Madoka wtf is this shit Magica 4

this is surely getting interesting...but I still don't know how you all voted this aoty back then lol.

RangerBAD

I don't really count Star Driver in that category. Not magical girl-y enough for me. Rayearth is the one I was thinking of, and Nanoha (already seen it, hyped for Vivid) is coming from the opposite direction.

But my favorite magical girl/mecha combo is Happy Robo. Savior of mankind, piloted by Reika, Yayoi's the best.

That's because it's Mahou Shounen. lol

Ojamajo Doremi - 12

Toei plz. There was a 12-second slow zooming still image in this episode.

Other than that, it was a pretty touching episode. I like how these chain reactions with the Magical Stage work.

Like, this episode consisted of the girls casting the spell to get this kid in the soccer game, but it doesn't just make the coach have a change of heart just like that.

No, instead it summons a herd of angry dogs chasing the good players to notice the kid getting better practising, causing them to ask the coach to give the kid a chance.

It's really creative.

Vs
Heathcliff (2nd time)
Vs
Eugene
Vs
World Tree (first attempt)

Maybe I gave the wrong impression with my last post but I'm not saying these are the best fight scenes ever animated. Just that I found them done well enough for the show while maintaining a good flow (for the most part) and offering something different with each one.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure 7
This episode was interesting. Regarding the fact that
Itsuki is actually a girl (RIP Tsubomi fragile heart),
something is telling me we'll see more of her soon. Everyone else's problems have been an easy fix and just overly simple. But hers not an easy fix whatsoever making her character much more valuable. And when she was turned into a Desertrain, her heart was only wilted ever so slightly which strengthens that belief. Besides, when she decides to join the Fashion Club, not only will she notice that there are 3 ghost members, but Tsubomi and Erika are never there either.

Maybe I'm just looking too far into it. But, it's just that when they summon their Tact, there are 4 jewels on it, a silver one, a blue one, a pink one, and a yellow one. Blue obviously correlates to Marine as pink is to Blossom. As I said before, Itsuki is a very strong character, and due to her hair color it'd make sense she'd make the yellow part of the set.

But simultaneously, the key visual, the OP, and the synopsis only ever show Blossom and Marine Precures... Why am I giving myself such false hopes...

Hunter X Hunter - 143

i'm Soo sad that i have only 5 episodes left ... Hxh will leave a giant hole in my anime schedule.

Oh and hisoka is crazy as usual ...

duckroll

Yeah, they showed the dub debut at AX. It was a very nice event (that should have had a packed room, but of course didn't) and the director was even there to show it off with the English voice actor for the younger brother. They retained the Russian I believe... I have an awful memory, but I do remember being all-around surprised by its quality. I also remember not being brought out of the scenes that involved the culture clashes, so I think they handled it well. Perhaps watching the Japanese version will give me that much more appreciation for those scenes though.

Did they dub the classroom singing scenes?

Because it was the best anime of that year?

Nah, Penguindrum was better (along with a few other shows), but Madoka was a very good show, and at least deserving of a top 5 finish. It was certainly the one with the most mainstream appeal of the great shows of the year, though, which has some bearing on its victory.

fertygo

Everytime someone said "SAO isn't that bad" then episode like last week episode come, and the argument break lol.

I'm very certain I not affected by any hate bandwagon or something like that and still I can say SAO just can get THAT bad, for example I actually enjoy first five eps of S2 and then the last two eps is something that I just can't ignore the bad. Its really awful, its give me head ache.. there something in SAO brand of drama that really broke, lack of subtlety, heavy handed theme, etc.

I think part of problem lay on the directing, we all know the writing quality.. but even if its very bad, like Very bad.. its still not impossible to salvage some of it, or at least give some weight on it. Directing in SAO just came across as lazy most of the time, for example playing the flashback straight and not play it as small piece, its happen all the time. Lazy cinematography, we have 15 second of still for last episode hugging scene ffs.. they give no effort at all.

I know its not impossible to give weight to some questionable narrative because The Servering Crime Edge

The narrative of that show maybe just as bad as SAO, but the effort in directing set it apart.

I have 2 extra CR passes as well if somebody wants them. I mean I'd personally nab them on the weekend when all the relatively good shows are out, but hey if we're giving them away...

I didn't think about the timing of it, I just noticed I had a pass when I logged into crunchyroll. It's probably best to save them to give away on the weekend.

Hanamonogatari

Shit's so coming of age that I'm tempted to have a new outlook on life then promptly forget what I've learned. It's kind of refreshing to have
a new character
introduced, explored, and then resolved for once without feeling like they'll be part of some grander scheme somewhere down the line. And making a comedic character like Kanbaru more serious without feeling unnatural was pretty nicely done too.

Also Terror in Resonance has spoiled me on how up to date things are because now it bothers me that
Arararagi's beetle
isn't the new and inferior redesign.

Anyway time to wait for Kizumonogatari. Yup, any day now!

JoeFu

Banned
Hanamonogatari

Awesome
I want more. Where is Kizu? Where is the stuff after the event of Hitagi End? Who the hell is Ougi? ahhh i need moreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

The SHAFT was so strong here. I loved all those stupid art style changes and we get some sweet looking ones here!

Branduil

Are there any male anime screenwriters that get the same reaction out of people as Okada does? Because I've never had too much of a problem with her, and at times it can seem like the criticism is being directed at Okada herself instead of at her writing.

Tomino
Kawamori
Reki Kawahara(technically not a screenwriter, but it's his material)

Maeda Jun is the ur-example among male writers, although technically he writes VNs. Several have simply happened to receive high-profile anime adaptations.

Can't believe I forgot that one.

Everytime someone said "SAO isn't that bad" then episode like last week episode come, and the argument break lol.

I'm very certain I not affected by any hate bandwagon or something like that and still I can say SAO just can get THAT bad, for example I actually enjoy first five eps of S2 and then the last two eps is something that I just can't ignore the bad. Its really awful, its give me head ache.. there something in SAO brand of drama that really broke, lack of subtlety, heavy handed theme, etc.

I think part of problem lay on the directing, we all know the writing quality.. but even if its very bad, like Very bad.. its still not impossible to salvage some of it, or at least give some weight on it. Directing in SAO just came across as lazy most of the time, for example playing the flashback straight and not play it as small piece, its happen all the time. Lazy cinematography, we have 15 second of still for last episode hugging scene ffs.. they give no effort at all.

I know its not impossible to give weight to some questionable narrative because The Servering Crime Edge

The narrative of that show maybe just as bad as SAO, but the effort in directing set it apart.
Crime Edge at least has some nice animation.

Urobuchi is also starting to lose some of his prestige that came when he was making his best stuff. And this is coming from someone who genuinely looks forward to shows where he's mentioned.

I hope he doesn't Don Bluth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom