• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

Aria: The Origination 2

Whether or not that woman was from the Gondola Association (apparently not), this was the first time I've really thought that Akari is ready to become a Prima. Or at least very, very close to becoming one.

President Aria spotting Aika and Alice while they were spying on Akari was funny.

Because Okouchi actually has writing talent, even if you might object to his personal taste. Yoshino has none whatsoever!
You could say the same thing about Okada. :p
Yes. There are obviously a great deal of these texts and they tend to either focus on critical analysis of film and there's two major focuses of discussion. Firstly you have critical analysis of a films content/message/representations e.g. the Feminist Critique, Soviet Montage, Third-World Critiques etc. Then you have more specific breakdowns of how individual shots and the elements within them actually create meaning e.g. studying the very fine details of the images themselves.

In general, Film art : an introduction by Bordwell, David, Thompson, Kristin is a pretty good starting point. You can see a full list of the kinds of books that are worth reading here https://rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FMS8055/2014
Thanks. I realize now that my question was a bit too broad for what I'm actually looking for. I guess a better way to phrase what I'm interested in is narrative structure and other aspects of narrative. I actually already own Film Art: An Introduction, bought it for an intro film course a while back.

Link Man

Banned
DEATH™;126232148 said:
S far, I liked Toradora, Golden Time, Anohana, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer, Say I love you and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I guess Im a sucker at romance anime lol. But I'll watch School Rumble, I dunno if it will match up with Nichijou though (NICHIJOU DA BEST).

Anyway this thread flies so quickly its hard to keep up lol.

You're a sucker for anime romance? Then definitely give Clannad and Clannad After Story a try.

I apologize if this gives you wood, PshycoNinja.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 3

Finally getting used to the new animation studio, took a few episodes, but love the cleaner look, and less black scribbles all over the characters; necks.

<3 Natsu

The Magic Games will never end.

Syrinx

Chihayafuru 4

Saw how that phone call would go the second she decided to call Arata. It's pretty frustrating watching Chihaya get so hung up on the past like this. She's Class A now; she's made her way througn the ranks which seems like it should be a reward in and of itself rather than a hopeful way to get the band back together, so to speak.

Arata seems like a jerk now anyway so fuck him.

DEATH™;126232148 said:
S far, I liked Toradora, Golden Time, Anohana, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer, Say I love you and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I guess Im a sucker at romance anime lol. But I'll watch School Rumble, I dunno if it will match up with Nichijou though (NICHIJOU DA BEST).

Anyway this thread flies so quickly its hard to keep up lol.

Watch Yamato 2199, it has one of the better romances subplots out there because the leads had great chemistry.

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood also has one of my favorite romantic B-plots between Ed and Winry, it moves really slow but it does advance throughout the show.

Kokoro Connect should be right up your alley if you can deal with some of the drama of those shows you mentioned, and best girl wins so it's a win-win.

Definitely watch Spice and Wolf. While it doesn't really end in the anime (apparently it gets much more romantic in the later LN's) the two leads have really good banter and click very well together, but if you don't find economics talk interesting you might get bored as the show is based on a trader/salesman.

Also if you haven't, watch the 'Ef: A Tale of' series, definitely high up there with good romance anime.

If you're willing to read manga I can't recommend Ore Monogatari and Horimiya enough. Especially because they have very little drama if at all. It just focuses on sweet relationships and comedy.

Quasar

Log Horizon : Gold of the Kunie

Finished reading this, the seventh volume. Had quite a different feel compared to others, mostly because of few regular characters carry the story. Theres little of the banter we normally get. And that hurt my enjoyment, even if the conclusion was pretty awesome and it did once again delight in getting into its mmo-ness.

Really hope we get a more normal book soon with the main cast all together again.

Its kind of interesting what this and volume 6 mean for the style of S2. One being a tiny ninja book, this being a shiroe book.

Link Man

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 4

Best friend bound buy a giant tree growing in her house. Just another normal day for Tomoyo, lol.

Wait, did Tomoyo just take an upskirt shot?

...I think I'm focusing on the wrong character.

JoeFu

Banned
I watched 2 more episodes(4 and 5) of that Rokujyouma show and its weird. I don't get it.

Episode 5 felt like some Saturday morning cartoon thing but I dunno. Not sure I'll watch any more of it. Maybe when I'm super bored.

Link Man

Banned
So this has been bugging me for a little while now, but is it really okay to be discussing fan-subbed anime here if it hasn't been licensed in the west?

Thoraxes

I watched 2 more episodes(4 and 5) of that Rokujyouma show and its weird. I don't get it.

Episode 5 felt like some Saturday morning cartoon thing but I dunno. Not sure I'll watch any more of it. Maybe when I'm super bored.

It's a harem with and end-goal that will never be attained.

There's not much else to get than to just watch it, pick a waifu, and enjoy the ride and hi jinks that ensue.
So this has been bugging me for a little while now, but is it really okay to be discussing fan-subbed anime here if it hasn't been licensed in the west?

Judging by all the Yamato 2199 full series viewers...

Thoraxes

Haha I dunno the harem show I watched last season, If her Flag Breaks, was more enjoyable and comprehensive.

That's because despite the multitudes of sharks that were jumped at the end, there was a concrete ending in mind for that show. But most of them just don't go that route.

jman2050

Hanamonogatari

I can definitely see why this would have been difficult to fit into Season 2 proper just taking into account scheduling and the context of this story in relation to everything else that happened. Assorted thoughts:

-Best moment by far was Kanbaru pouting at Kaiki as he picked her up

-Second best moment by far was Kaiki's glorious, glorious facial hair. Dude rocking the beard like a pro.

-Speaking of glorious hair, Araragi had a comparitively minimal role in this story but he certainly made use of his screen time to great effect. I do worry about Karen though...

-As per usual, the central conflict is nothing particularly earth-shattering with a couple not-so-shocking twists thrown here and there. It's all a backdrop for developing the central theme of the work after all. This time we have what is fundamentally a story about taking control of your own destiny. It's interesting though, as it kind of eschews the typically optimistic "you are what you choose to be" or "follow your dreams" reasoning and approaches the theme from a decidedly different direction, simply by putting forth the question of "When you or someone you know is in trouble, what do you do?" There is a lot of detail and nuance explored in the work along with your typical Nisio bullshittery which can be troublesome to wade through, but I think a lot of what's put forth is clear and direct enough to allow the watcher to draw something useful from the experience. So in other words, it's typical Monogatari. I could say a whole lot about that final basketball match in the context of the larger story but it's late and to hell with that for now.

-Kaiki once again steals the show, and not just from his beard. His scene acts as a coda of sorts to Koi, as it clarifies his relationship to Kanbaru's family and the reason why he helped Senjougahara. It all feels so genuine when you watch him explain why he's out to help her. And yet in the back of your mind you just wonder, you know? Was he really helping Kanbaru out of a bout of sentimentality? Or did he just see a prime opportunity to be rid of an annoying "business rival"? Alas, we may never truly know for sure what's truly going on in that head of his, but then it's best that way, is it not?

-Shaft was Shafting it up far more than usual. Given how about 97% of this story was talking talking and more talking I suppose it's to be expected. It's hard to tell when Shaft is making a deliberate visual metaphor and when they're just dicking around, or possibly both. To their credit, the most striking visual metaphor that stuck with me was the sea of floating basketballs, suspended in their neat little formation right as Numachi called 'halftime' in her exposition of her past to Kanbaru. A formation that required little more than a slight nudge from Numachi to completely collapse into chaos at the same moment Kanbaru emphatically chose to hear about the true nature of what she was doing as opposed to staying ignorant.

-So yeah this owned and was well worth the wait and I thought it was really well done NOW WHERE THE HELL IS KIZU SHAFT?!!?

EDIT - Oh right, was I the only one who got major BRS (the OVA, not TV) vibes from the OP? (which is actually at the end, nice going there Shaft)

JoeFu

Banned
Nice write up!

And seriously where the hell is kizu? I mean Hana is movie length but is really bare on the action scenes. I guess kizu is just too hard lol

cajunator

Banned
The shitstain known as Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae wo Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai probably did it for most people. Then that was followed up with other all time classics like Black Rock Shooter and Lupin the 3rd: The Woman Called Fujiko Mine, and most people just accepted that the majority of what Okada wrote was always going to be crap (unless Ando was reigning her in).

Urobuchi has a much smaller body of work and some pretty bad stuff too but I dont see nearly the criticism for his version of despair.

JoeFu

Banned
So what is left for shaft to tell? is Kizu it? I'd think if its to be a film, its being held till last.

There are more books in the series that aren't animated yet. I think there are 5 more books left to animate if they are really going to do it all.

Kizu will come out

Kizu will come out

Kizu will come out.

fertygo

Halfway into Hanamonogatari

Shaft cheapness aside, this is sorta awesome.. maybe just as good as Kaikimonogatari and Neko, nisio da gawd, etc.

Kizumonogatari already exists. It's that short film within Bakemonogatari. Ya'll just can't appreciate SHAFT's hyper efficient telling of the story.

jman2050

Kizumonogatari already exists. It's that short film within Bakemonogatari.

image.php

Quasar

There are more books in the series that aren't animated yet. I think there are 5 more books left to animate if they are really going to do it all.

OK. Didnt realise they were that far behind. Though I thought the last book just came out/is due soon.

Chihayafuru 4

Saw how that phone call would go the second she decided to call Arata. It's pretty frustrating watching Chihaya get so hung up on the past like this. She's Class A now; she's made her way througn the ranks which seems like it should be a reward in and of itself rather than a hopeful way to get the band back together, so to speak.

Arata seems like a jerk now anyway so fuck him.

I was kinda iffy about the show at that point but, unless you can't find yourself liking Karuta (I find it quite interesting and it'll get explained in more detail) it's definitely getting much stronger the further you get down the line. The opening bunch of episodes are somewhat heavy handed drama which I'm not a big fan of. It does a good job establishing the character (don't worry, they still have progress) at least.

I'm just going to rewatch Hyouka and pretend it's new.

I finished that show...2 weeks ago, I think. I can't stop myself from listening to the first OP and ED a bunch of times per day. Hyouka overall is so, so good.

I'd just like to remind you all that Sword Art Online is the show where a nerd who plays video games actively praises a mass murderer while simulating a particularly brutal murder himself.

No one should ever enjoy that fucking travesty.

I feel like that's pretty well justified actually. At the end of the first arc Kayaba Akihiko and Kirito have this pivotal dialog where Kirito (and the audience) gets to empathize with Kayaba's, seemingly despicable, decision to create this SAO world: he forgot why he did all this.

How can you not look up to him after that?

And the second villain was pure evil, so it's totally fine to go full sadist!

phaze

Durarara 06-09

Back to a watchbet I've been neglecting. There hasn't really been a focused plot that has really grabbed me yet. Most of the episodes so far have been to establish the huge cast of characters. Episode 08 was interesting, it seems the plot will revolve around Dullahan's missing head. Episode 09 we discover what happened to her head and suddenly there is
incest
. Why you do this to me anime? WHY!?!?!

But she's the only one who can protect him.
KuGsj.gif
And yeah they're pretty much done with establishing the cast. Next episodes will be more focused.

I've been watching Escaflowne lately. Almost finished the series, and I've really liked it so far! The antagonists are pretty great. Wonder when the crazy one will come back.

Dilandau was awesome though I didn't like what they have done with him at the end. You'll see.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Kizumonogatari already exists. It's that short film within Bakemonogatari. Ya'll just can't appreciate SHAFT's hyper efficient telling of the story.

True, not to mention it's already cover all the important part in the novel...

I still want it to be fully adapted though

Hanamonogatari

Wait, Ougi is a guy? wait, wait, what!?

fertygo

Hanamonogatari

Yeah, this is fucking awesome.. I can't decide which one that I like more from Season 2, this or Koi.

I love how very friendly to digest the theme for this story is, might be the lightest theme from what I saw from Monogatari, you can easily relate with the theme and story, and yet despite the light theme its very engaging and adding some angle that you not expect and its awesome.

The dialogue is effing great, touching issue like prying into others problem and such.. its resonant with me greatly although unlike Rouka I dislike people telling their problem to me, but I always become their target to tell..
Damn its totally get me when Rouka talking about statistic about people have tendency liking sharing their problem to disable person fuck.

Btw Characters is fantastic as always, Numachi Rouka is fantastic nemesis characters..
Araragi and
Kaiki makes brilliant cameo
although as always araragi can disgust you fast >_>
but goddamn both looks fabulous in their new look.

And as basketball fan I appreciate those one-on-one, better animation than Kuroko's anime btw, and its ended with such a badass
poster dunk
Blake Griffin ain't shit.. dayum.

Log Horizon : Gold of the Kunie

Finished reading this, the seventh volume. Had quite a different feel compared to others, mostly because of few regular characters carry the story. Theres little of the banter we normally get. And that hurt my enjoyment, even if the conclusion was pretty awesome and it did once again delight in getting into its mmo-ness.

Really hope we get a more normal book soon with the main cast all together again.

Its kind of interesting what this and volume 6 mean for the style of S2. One being a tiny ninja book, this being a shiroe book.
I loved the change of focus of those 2 books , by separating the POV , the author was able to tell more and better. BY focusing on akatsuki , the writter was not only able to make her grow as a character , but he also managed to give insight on many other side characters as a result ( since it's another POV that shiroe will most likely never see ) Akatsuki
problem was something shiroe has already clear ages ago so it wouldn't make sense to put the characters together
. More importantly Book 6 was the first part of the intrigue about
the kunie and it would have been hard to trully sell shiroe motivation if it wasn't shown that they indeed have secrets

Overall , those 2 books are excellent because what the author tried not only worked but was necessary for the rest of the awesome.
I mean don't tell me you aren't hyped for book 8 that will be released in september ? i sure am.

Hanamonogatari

Wait, Ougi is a guy? wait, wait, what!?

Did at any point , he say that he was a girl ? No ? Carry on.
It's not like the author isn't playing with everyone on purpose , right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom