• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
the only good thing to come from anohana other than the pastebin

prisonschool114.png
Ano Hana had some nice comedy, I'll never forget that amazing shrine scene.

CorvoSol

Mecha Illuminati s currently corrupting him on twitter. You'll never know now.

Brother Madp has at last found the light of Mecha Jesus' path to Mecha Heaven. I may have fallen into the den of Magical Girl sin, but we should all be happy for Brother Madp in this delightful new era, so that he, too, can weep with us all over the rotting, overdesigned, CGI corpse of our beloved God.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ai Mai Mi Mousou Catastrophie 02-06
03ABX33.jpg

I did not realize this was a skit show after the first episode. I also did not realize that it is the best show airing this season. Now I know better.

duckroll

Are there any male anime screenwriters that get the same reaction out of people as Okada does? Because I've never had too much of a problem with her, and at times it can seem like the criticism is being directed at Okada herself instead of at her writing.

Hiroyuki Yoshino is a pretty terrible male screenwriter. Both his original stuff (Mai-Hime, Mai-Otome) and his adaptations (Magi) tend to be filled with bad writing decisions. Sho Aikawa (Original FMA, E7AO) is a male screenwriter who is known to be a huge fan of leading the audience on and delivering contrived plot twists for better or for worse.

Keiko Nobumoto (Cowboy Bebop, Tokyo Godfathers) is a female screenwriter known for writing stuff like great character development with unique character voices which really flesh out the unique settings of the stories. Reiko Yoshida is a female screenwriter known for being able to capture the female perspective really well, and unless she's taking work for hire which doesn't fit her style, there's a consistently relaxing but positive vibe to her scripts.

There are good female screenwriters, there are bad female screenwriters. Just like there are good male screenwriters and bad male screenwriters.

Durarara 06-09

Back to a watchbet I've been neglecting. There hasn't really been a focused plot that has really grabbed me yet. Most of the episodes so far have been to establish the huge cast of characters. Episode 08 was interesting, it seems the plot will revolve around Dullahan's missing head. Episode 09 we discover what happened to her head and suddenly there is
incest
. Why you do this to me anime? WHY!?!?!

Midonin

Alright, got some of the answers I was looking for. As long as things don't get to the point where the writer is being attacked as a person, then everything should be okay.

Branduil

Alright, got some of the answers I was looking for. As long as things don't get to the point where the writer is being attacked as a person, then everything should be okay.

The only anime/manga writer I feel antipathy for as a person is whoever wrote Nisekoi.

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 29
These 'scary' episodes always have neat production values. I loved the ghost's attitude.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 30
Cook-off!
It's nice that the plot gets quickly tied into something more light-hearted, Doremi is not at its best when it goes all magic hijinx on us.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 31
That shitty CG library... OTZ

...now you've done it, Toei.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 32
Yes, because you girls didn't ever fuck up with Hana at all during Sharp. Aiko pretty much told Momo to get fucked because of a simple mistake of inexperience that didn't even amount to anything; she didn't get this treatment when she took Hana to the streets and let her almost get ran over by a truck. Get some perspective gal.

Onpu -again- shows that she understands human relationships the best. It's always the show-biz characters!

Also, this is a new one: Nagamine episode! His very first storyboard too. He's not as overt as Igarashi or Yamauchi, but this was a notch above the rest of the regular directors, quite impressive. Nagamine's been helping out as an assistant episode director since the very beginning of Doremi, it was due time he got promoted. He would later go on to direct Heartcatch aka the best Precure season and One Piece Z; the Umakoshi connection really paid off!

DEATH™

For the guy who recommended me Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, I am in great gratitude...

Also, I realized that there is nothing more satisfying than a wacky OVA after a pretty good roller coaster happy ending series where the chars got nothing to do but screw around. Even if considered filler/irrelevant to the plot, it gives a reassuring feeling somehow that I can't explain.

Anyway, guys is there any other series that I need to watch before school starts?

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 29
These 'scary' episodes always have neat production values. I loved the ghost's attitude.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 30
Cook-off!
It's nice that the plot gets quickly tied into something more light-hearted, Doremi is not at its best when it goes all magic hijinx on us.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 31
That shitty CG library... OTZ

...now you've done it, Toei.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 32
Yes, because you girls didn't ever fuck up with Hana at all during Sharp. Aiko pretty much told Momo to get fucked because of a simple mistake of inexperience that didn't even amount to anything; she didn't get this treatment when she took Hana to the streets and let her almost be ran over by a truck. Get some perspective gal.

Onpu -again- shows that she understands human relationships the best. It's always the show-biz characters!

This is why I rocked an Onpu avatar for a while

zulux21

DEATH™;126230429 said:
For the guy who recommended me Dusk Maiden of Amnesia, I am in great gratitude...

Also, I realized that there is nothing more satisfying than a wacky OVA after a pretty good roller coaster happy ending series where the chars got nothing to do but screw around. Even if considered filler/irrelevant to the plot, it gives a reassuring feeling somehow that I can't explain.

Anyway, guys is there any other series that I need to watch before school starts?

man... I have no clue what your tastes are so I can't really make a suggestion... but alas seeing the word school makes me think School Rumble... which is an awesome comedy in general.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Writers can be terrible people too.

DEATH™

man... I have no clue what your tastes are so I can't really make a suggestion... but alas seeing the word school makes me think School Rumble... which is an awesome comedy in general.

S far, I liked Toradora, Golden Time, Anohana, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer, Say I love you and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I guess Im a sucker at romance anime lol. But I'll watch School Rumble, I dunno if it will match up with Nichijou though (NICHIJOU DA BEST).

Anyway this thread flies so quickly its hard to keep up lol.

Syrinx

DEATH™;126232148 said:
S far, I liked Toradora, Golden Time, Anohana, Pet Girl of Sakurasou, Waiting in the Summer, Say I love you and Dusk Maiden of Amnesia. I guess Im a sucker at romance anime lol. But I'll watch School Rumble, I dunno if it will match up with Nichijou though (NICHIJOU DA BEST).

I imagine some will give you some Chihayafuru recommendations. I'm only three episodes in myself but it's all right so far. Maybe give that a shot.

zulux21

DEATH™;126232148 said:

oh wait I think you might be the person I told to watch nana... I am bad with names lol.

but yeah given that give school rumble a try... it's a bit out there/wacky but it is indeed a romance anime... though you may need this romance chart at some point :p (btw feel free to glance at it... as long as you don't try to memorize info you shouldn't retain any as there is so many lines you shouldn't be able to figure anything out by a glance lol)

I imagine some will give you some Chihayafuru recommendations. I'm only three episodes in myself but it's all right so far. Maybe give that a shot.

much like nana the first 5 or so episodes of chihayafuru is purely set up and while needed isn't all fun/interesting to watch. they are really just alright episodes that allow fun episodes to come later ^^

I want to check out Chihayafuru but I can feel the disappointment radiating from it. :(
I feel like you are a lot like one of my friends, who in general hates all shonen and sports anime (over 26 episodes - FMA) due to the fact that they stall out and take forever to tell a story.
They are like the MMORPGs of anime.

zulux21

Don Bluth had a point he was making amazing films and was at the top of the world, but then he started delivering some crap and never really recovered from what I recall. He's still remembered for his good stuff obviously.

Anastasia was a pretty good movie, and Titan A.E. wasn't terrible (and those are 2 of his last 3 movies)

though admittedly his peak seems to have been here
An American Tail (1986)
The Land Before Time (1988, also co-storyboard and production designer)
All Dogs Go to Heaven (1989)

Quasar

Yeah. One of my favourite shows.

Death: seeing as you like Kanna-tears, you probably would also like Teacher Please. You might also like Amagami, but I guess it depends on what you like about the romance anime is the romance bit or the tears of pain bits of many romance anime.

I'd probably also be pimping Say I Love You, Kimi ni Todoke, Lovely Complex, Nodame Cantibille.

Hiroyuki Yoshino is a pretty terrible male screenwriter. Both his original stuff (Mai-Hime, Mai-Otome) and his adaptations (Magi) tend to be filled with bad writing decisions. Sho Aikawa (Original FMA, E7AO) is a male screenwriter who is known to be a huge fan of leading the audience on and delivering contrived plot twists for better or for worse.
How can you mention Yoshino and not his partner in crime, Ichiro Okouchi?

Anastasia was a pretty good movie, and Titan A.E. wasn't terrible (and those are 2 of his last 3 movies)

though admittedly his peak seems to have been here

didn't even realize Anastasia was some of his last. Love that movie. For some reason I thought All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 and Rock A Doodle or w/e the fuck it was called were his last films. Critically isn't Titan A.E. pandered? Also not sure if he worked on it, but I hear there's a Secret of Nimh 2: Electric Mousegaloo

edit: derp, just realized I wrote the wrong word. Panned*

zulux21

I want to check out Chihayafuru but I can feel the disappointment radiating from it. :(

They are like the MMORPGs of anime.

I can promise you one thing about chihayafuru. It will hands down be the best anime about competitive poem reading you have ever seen...

it will also likely be the worst :p

as for the mmorpg thing, I can see that, but in general I would rather watch shows about teams and friendship over girls eating cake and falling over or girls that are violently abusing male characters because they have a disease of the mind (and should have charges pressed against them and locked up instead of eventually falling for the men they abuse leading to what will likely result in a murder suicide 10 years down the line) :/

didn't even realize Anastasia was some of his last. Love that movie. For some reason I thought All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 and Rock A Doodle or w/e the fuck it was called were his last films. Critically isn't Titan A.E. pandered? Also not sure if he worked on it, but I hear there's a Secret of Nimh 2: Electric Mousegaloo

as far as I know critically titan AE did alright(it's a 6.6 on imdb aka not great but still pretty good), it's just known to be not a great movie because it bombed at the box office because no one was sure if it was aimed for sci fi fans or little kids due to poor marketing.

as for his movies...
rock was earlier and he wasn't the director of all dogs go to heaven 2... as far as I see he wasn't involved

Jarmel

Banned
Because Okouchi actually has writing talent, even if you might object to his personal taste. Yoshino has none whatsoever!

Yoshino has an absolutely deplorable record.

Jukki Hanada's record would be worse, by some miracle, if it wasn't for Steins;Gate. That's the only thing he's help adapt/write that wasn't a steaming pile of shit because of him. Even then I'm not sure how much credit I can give Hanada as there were some issues in the adaptation and also how strong the source material is.

Clov

I've been watching Escaflowne lately. Almost finished the series, and I've really liked it so far! The antagonists are pretty great. Wonder when the crazy one will come back.

I'm considering watching The Violinist of Hamelin next. Good decision, or a bad one?

Jarmel

Banned
I actually really liked Titan A.E.. I wouldn't say it's great but it was a lot of fun and the actual setup was really good. Whole thing reminded me of Advent Rising in that the story was something I would have really wanted to play in a videogame.

Jex

I'm less interested in specific writers than the actual style of the writing.

*adds to reading list*
Since you are one of the more well read people around here, can you recommend me a book on storytelling in film/television?

Yes. There are obviously a great deal of these texts and they tend to either focus on critical analysis of film and there's two major focuses of discussion. Firstly you have critical analysis of a films content/message/representations e.g. the Feminist Critique, Soviet Montage, Third-World Critiques etc. Then you have more specific breakdowns of how individual shots and the elements within them actually create meaning e.g. studying the very fine details of the images themselves.

In general, Film art : an introduction by Bordwell, David, Thompson, Kristin is a pretty good starting point. You can see a full list of the kinds of books that are worth reading here https://rlo.ncl.ac.uk/modules/FMS8055/2014

Jarmel

Banned
I can't even recall what Titan A.E. was about, everytime I try to think about it for some reason I'm reminded of that sci-fi Treasure Island from Disney.

Treasure Island was a stinker when I saw it last. Had nothing on Muppet Treasure Island.

Titan A.E. was about a small group of humans in space trying to find another Earth or a new planet after the current Earth gets blown up by aliens.

CorvoSol

I've been watching Escaflowne lately. Almost finished the series, and I've really liked it so far! The antagonists are pretty great. Wonder when the crazy one will come back.

I'm considering watching The Violinist of Hamelin next. Good decision, or a bad one?

Oh I really liked Escaflowne. Especially toward the end when it went nuts.

Treasure Island was a stinker when I saw it last. Had nothing on Muppet Treasure Island.

Titan A.E. was about a small group of humans in space trying to find another Earth or a new planet after the current Earth gets blown up by aliens.

It's almost Yamato 2199 lol. To be fair I'm sure Simpsons did it.

And Muppets Treasure Island is amazing. It has that sweet transvestite of transexual transylvania, plus Margaritas at the Midnight Buffet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom