• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zetsuen no Tempest 14-24

Yeah unfortunately this show didn't do much for me apart from the soundtrack. Plot just wasn't very concise and dragged severely. For what little actually happens, 24 episodes is a lot and that shows in the amount of redundant, boring dialog.
The entire Tree of Genesis/Exodus aspect was talked about so much it became irritating.

Now if the characterization was strong enough to carry me through the plot that would've been nice. But I mostly cared about Aika and a tad about Yoshino, Mahiro and Hakaze. The side characters didn't grow on me whatsoever. They all have their great speeches and moments but pretty much no one felt like a relatable human being. I can't easily say why that it, it just so happens that I couldn't empathize with them. So I must imagine the direction in general was lacking and the characters felt too one-dimensional or poorly constructed.

In a similar fashion I also couldn't give a damn about the world and its inhabitants either. There was zero tension for me during the final battle against the Tree of Genesis. That reminds me, not like this is a very serious story to begin with, but it's completely laughable that they stated s.th. along the lines of "2 billion people died in all this but only a week later life goes on somewhat normally." They seriously want me to believe that 2 billion people (and not 'just' third world citizens either) die and humanity continues to function worldwide just fine?

Like that doesn't even really matter in the grand context of this show, still I thought the notion so ridiculous that I wanted to mention it.

Now there's all this Shakespeare quoting from Hamlet and The Tempest (dunno if other works, too, right now) and if I've actually read those classics I may have enjoyed at least the first half of the story a bit more? Possibly. But can't imagine much either way.

Animation quality was pretty good, although it didn't really have anything outstanding either IIRC. The kind of battle sequences present in this show are entertaining for an episode or two but then become a snore. That's mostly because of the generic anime combat physics and inclusion of magic. Can't be thrilled about anything when I have no idea if a character is ever in actual danger. Whether a character survives a huge explosion or not is seemingly arbitrarily determined. Usually nothing happens because the characters are supposed to stay alive and thus we got plenty "last second shield!" "healing powersssss!" moments.

Fuck it, in the last two episodes Yoshino even takes a gunshot and, at first they frame it so that it looks like it penetrates some part of his torso, just to reveal it being just his arm a little later. Like what was even the fucking point of that? To make your combat even more meaningless than it already is?

I just don't think the overall picture of this show is strong. Feels like it doesn't know what to want at times and it's individual parts don't add up to anything stronger.

Quasar

Against content uploaded to websites, so the usual peer-to-peer distribution methods in-between the community aren't affected.

Which I thought might have impacted the initial creation/distro of raws from Japan. Also I thought it might of included chasing the aggregators and websites of the scanning groups that frequently host the content.

Chariot

Every IM@S girl is a construct designed to sell things.
Yes, but we can like them anyways, yes. Despite what the reason for their existence is, they amused us. Don't be so grumpy, you're special, too.

Zetsuen no Tempest 14-24
Ah sad, you didn't like it that much.

The show only quoted from Hamlet and Tempest, I made a post somewhere in the last thread, I will post the link when I am home again.

phaze

Gankutsuo 8

untitled-3fju41.png

Holy crap if that chest contains what I think it contains then this was all kinds of wrong. And he even made Albert carry it. lol

Cristo is bent on ruining every single life, horse or
fetus (?
) to satisfy his revenge.

cajunator

Banned
The Devil is a Part-Timer! (1-2)

yg5QOEO.gif

This anime is great. There seems to be a strong focus on character interactions and situational humor rather than a coherent plot, which i'm totally all about. I can't wait to see more.

This show is quite fun and hyped me up for Yuushibu since it has a bit of the same idea. ended up really liking both of them. Maoudonalds got a little worse as it went on but was overall not bad.

Elfen Lied 11

Set up episode. We're introduced to another pink mutant that is more brutal than Lucy. Instead of killing Nana at the end she decides to rip off all her clothes cause, hey, we need to fill the nudity quota.

Kouta continues to be a tool and Yuka continues her jealous rampage over said tool. Why does everyone like this moron?

Nana does the noble thing and goes to sacrifice herself to protect others. Of all the characters, Mayu and Nana are the least offensive.

Yes Nana is my favorite in the show.

I missed out.

I missed out on a ton of fun anime :(

I mean sure, I can still watch them, but it's just not the same as watching them with a bunch of people. That said, i'm glad I get to experience Sabagebu!, Nozaki-kun, Locodol, etc with you guys. I'm having a ton of fun!

Glad youre enjoying it! IT is definitely fun to watch with the community. Especially stuff like Madoka Magica. that was legendary.

Elfen Lied 12

Wait... WHAT!?!?
Yuka and Kouta our cousins!?!?

Kouta... How the fuck do you forget
the girl that is staying with you killed for sister and father
? Holy shit. I've heard of selective amnesia but this is fucking ridiculous. She has pink hair and horns! They're such distinctive features you should probably never forget someone like that! His father was also oblivious to everything on the train right up until his
head got separated from his body

This episode somehow manages to reuse at least 4 minutes of stuff already seen. I guess the excuse is Kouta is now regaining lost memories so we can reuse the same shots to show that he has in fact remembered his deadly childhood friend.

That scene was so abrupt and unexpected lol. Gave me pause for a moment until I just accepted it along with all the other ridiculous things.

I hate to admit this, but this is a show where all the genki heartwarming storytelling is enough to get me to forgive the yuri harem that's developing. It's probably a show that me and SDBurton can equally enjoy for different reasons.

(Better than Sakura Trick at least. :p)

Im enjoying it too! Only on episode 2 though.

You are part of the problem!

In this case I'd say its quite possible lol

Hmm next anime required...

Thinking about giving Hyouka another go. I've watched the first couple episodes a while ago but wasn't liking it much. Characters were fine but those 'everyday mysteries' felt rather lame.

Now I've also heard plenty people say that it's not for everyone and I may be in that group. But with how highly regarded it is I shall give it another try. Also it looks good, so there's that.

Vylash

Hmm next anime required...

Thinking about giving Hyouka another go. I've watched the first couple episodes a while ago but wasn't liking it much. Characters were fine but those 'everyday mysteries' felt rather lame.

Now I've also heard plenty people say that it's not for everyone and I may be in that group. But with how highly regarded it is I shall give it another try. Also it looks good, so there's that.

Do you have a list of things you've seen? I can help you out with some stuff

cajunator

Banned
Elfen Lied 13 END

I don't know what I was expecting from this ending.

I'll write a review for the series tomorrow, I just don't have the energy to do it right now.

Congrats! now that you have finished, go have a lie down before you stroke out from what you just watched, then return to us and attempt to describe your overall thoughts without punching anything ^^

Well Love Live BD vol.2 first week 41,865,yeah just like many people expected,a big drop

Also GuP OVA BD+DVD first week 38,787

Those are still phenomenal sales. I had no idea Love Live was so popular!

Typical Miki fan logic: "if you insult my favourite idol I'll kill you". Tsk tsk.

Other idol fans on the other hand simply smile because one can only be correct if someone else is wrong. Basically we're grateful Miki fans exist so this can be true.

I am smug in the knowledge that Makoto and Takane are by far the best and require no such mgrgr.

Miki thinks dying her hair blonde and having it long is better than the short brunette look.

Pretty big flaw there.

Awakened Miki is aight. I can accept that.

/XX/

Which I thought might have impacted the initial creation/distro of raws from Japan. Also I thought it might of included chasing the aggregators and websites of the scanning groups that frequently host the content.
I think that nowadays those raw providers that aren't already managing distribution with trackers can adapt pretty easily to the situation anyway. It is true that self-hosting might end, yeah.

Chariot

...I'm not Femmeworth.

See, your lies have become exposed. *runs away crying*
Hups, that happens when I'm on the phone. You not as not cute as Femmesworth, but your not cute either :<

I'll say they don't even know that Chariot already has TUSR. Best girl in the harem.
It's not that I like him at all, I just have to share my place next to cajun-sama with him. Might as well be kind to him out of pity, yes.

BGBW. She's the snarky kind. Hito is the kuudere. As for the other deres I'm too lazy it's 8 am get off me back m8.
I am missing a certain kind of laugh from him.

Quasar

I think that nowadays those raw providers that aren't already managing distribution with trackers can adapt pretty easily to the situation anyway. It is true that self-hosting might end, yeah.

Oh I don't think it will have any real impact. If hollywood cannot stop pirates o the bay, I don't see Japan doing much.

Money would be better spent providing a legal service for non Japanese demand of digital manga and other japanese media.

kind of wish someone had tracked data to see what impact on fansub downloads all the legal anime streaming services has had. I imagine its down a fair bit in the areas served but some numbers would be interesting.

Vylash

Not yet. I should probably create one on MAL or so already.

well i'll just give you a small list of good stuff

Chihayafuru
Kokoro Connect
Girls und Panzer
Hanasaku Iroha
Allison to Lillia
Mirai Nikki
Shinsekai Yori
Suisei no Gargantia

there, gotta be something there you haven't seen

I have been lied to. Chariot said I'd be first in his harem.

To hell with everyone! It's not like I wanted to be a part of his harem anyway!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom