• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firemind

Nodame Cantabile is great and everyone should watch it. Really surprised me how much I enjoyed it.

Is it true the 2nd and 3rd seasons aren't as good? Haven't seen them yet.
Yes, though the third season redeems the series somewhat. Still, CG orchestras are a bit of a turn-off.

Nodame Cantabile is a nice romantic comedy, I almost could say it's very universal, every genre and age. I wouldn't pigeonhole it in a specific crowd.

I was placing it in context with this post:

I saw School Days after I watched all the classic Romance anime lool. I'm again just being facetious. Although I do have to say, I've found romance anime to be a lot more frustrating than other genres (usually the lack of pay off or resolution). Seems to be very common in the genre.

He said he liked Nodame Cantabile, but didn't like a lot of other romance series because of the lack of pay-off/resolution. So I referred Nodame Cantabile as a show for a more mature demographic and shouldn't pigeonhole it with sappy melodrama. Yes, even Toradora is guilty of this.

1408629812282c6qe1.jpg
Love it.

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 8

tumblr_nao52bGU3M1s22704o8_250.gif

That head tilt.

It was a good episode as a standalone that is. The animation was great as well as the OST. Fights between Mado/Touka and Amon/Kaneki were good. The crying at the end with Amon was nicely done. The ending credits were pretty funny too. That censoring though.

Though I still have lot's of problems if I look at it from the manga perspective.
Like they really changed up the scene with Hinami because she didn't run away because of her mothers scent. Initially it was because she found out that Touka killed a investigator through reading the newspaper. Also she was holding her mothers chopped hand not her purse. They also made Kaneki weaker in the fight with Amon. Not only that the dialogue from Kaneki in the anime seems different from the manga. The dialogue felt more of what a Shonen protagonist would say unlike the manga hmmm. Like his dialogue was more effective in what he was trying to convey through the manga. Also they skipped the part where the old man butler was standing on some building.

The more I watch this show the more I feel that Studio Pierrot is turning this show into some Shonen battle manga like Bleach and Naruto which it's definitely not. They are definitely gonna butcher the next Arc, four episodes aren't enough damnit.

Zankyou no Terror - 07

Lisa is literally become exactly what I predicted she would be: a point of contention between the boys that will lead to their downfall.

The show is worse off with her inclusion. Based Five though.

Linkark07

Banned
Much like its first season, 2wei is only 10 episodes. Though another OVA has already been announced for later. And I wouldn't be surprised if it got a third.

Darn, 10 episodes.

I wonder if Gilgamesh will manage to appear this season. Not likely though.

VRMN

Darn, 10 episodes.

I strongly suspect it's split cour and we'll see more in January. They're doing way too much foreshadowing of the second half of the manga to ignore it entirely.

zulux21

The more I watch this show the more I feel that Studio Pierrot is turning this show into some Shonen battle manga like Bleach and Naruto which it's definitely not. They are definitely gonna butcher the next Arc, four episodes aren't enough damnit.

I haven't read beyond the gourmet stuff so I am curious is the next arc longer than 40 chapters? as they just managed to do a 30 chapter arc in 2.5 eps ><;

mankoto

I haven't read beyond the gourmet stuff so I am curious is the next arc longer than 40 chapters? as they just managed to do a 30 chapter arc in 2.5 eps ><;
The next arc that will be covered is from 46.5 (Rize side story)-79. 32 chapters this time plus a side story if they choose to cover it. But this one is very meaty so them gunning right through it is ew.

Nafe

It's funny, because the real Venice is going through man problems with the flooding now and they are trying to find ways to save the buildings from damage at this point. You can some videos showing the flooding and the solutions that they're trying:
http://youtu.be/2QtfxYOkXIA?t=14m35s
http://youtu.be/JXKW7Ozhx8I?t=1m44s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1MNSomoQCM

Ah, thanks for those. I just gave the first one a bit of a watch so far. I was actually thinking of if that part was based off of something that happens or not. I'm not from or ever been to Venice and I thought of things like the tide like the guy in the video mentions but that's a lot more than once a year. Just watching some documentary programs sometimes and you find out about specific little events like that that can happen. I just wondered if it was part of the made up story for Aqua or not.

Yep! It plays an important part in Origination!

:firehawk,haha.

Yeah, I saw some mentions of graduation.

I just find this amusing because I remember someone somewhere complaining about all their reaction faces and chibimode transformations. But that's just Amano and her style. lol

The cast in Goldfish Warning! go through lots of reaction faces and chibi mode type things. It's a SatoJun comedy that kind of reminds me of Gintama at times how it will be self aware or break the fourth wall type thing. I'd recommend it to you but figured you'd mention it's too old now and will be on the backlog forever or something. :(

Good luck counting. :p

If Nafe's still counting after this episode I wager it can be done going forward. This episode probably has the most aras that I remember.

I'm actually a litte further along but in and out internet, as well as being a little busy, made me wary of trying to post any comments before. I don't want to start over but I figure one could add an Aika "Kinshi" counter and see how many times Akari reacts with "Eeeh?!" counter,haha.

See the reason why I say it's gonna be butchered is because they are definitely gonna skip so many things to finish the Arc, unless they stop in the middle with a cliffhanger. And the thing is since they screwed up Kaneki's character development. His growth won't be as satisfying for the next Arc. And also from what I hear chances are it might get an anime original ending. Which I hope doesn't happen because most anime original endings suck.

Oh yeah it's about 30 or so chapters.

Naruto Shippuden 373

Pretty disappointed with the poor animation.

You think the moment when the other characters showed off their new skills and Team 7 used their summonings would have been given some priorities.

Who the hell likes Nanana? She's the Index of the show.
I do .
She don't bite though, so that's the difference.
She also play phantasy star online 2 and virtua fighter .. i can't hate a virtua fighter player !
She breaks Jugo arm not to mention beat the crap out of him.
In a duel accepted by both parties

Fate Kaleid 07

So... In this universe "Being Lancer is Suffering" should be "Being Shirou is Suffering". He really got demoted to butt monkey here. Don't worry Shirou, a few months and you will become MC again.

BTW, has it been said if Fate/Kaleid will run at the same time with Fate/Stay Night from Ufotable? Or will it end this season?
10 eps
Darn, 10 episodes.

Indeed , but no chance for gil ( yet ) but he has to appear.

I strongly suspect it's split cour and we'll see more in January. They're doing way too much foreshadowing of the second half of the manga to ignore it entirely.

That would be awesome fi they do that.

Terror in Resonance - 7
The OST is sublime, even the fucking recap music is Ace. <3

Well, I thought this episode was interesting at least, especially once the stupid chess was over. Speaking of, Five really is the weak link of the show. She is so over the top in this episode that she literally blows up whatever plausibility show had.

I would prefer the love triangle over her.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 11

In many ways, this felt like a companion piece to the previous episode. This show's atmosphere is pretty incredible(ly relaxing), and seeing what was important to both Sonomi and Tomoyo highlighted both of their characters. That is to say, Sakura-obsessed. I am a bit surprised that Sword cut Shield. I was thinking it'd be an irresistible force/immovable object scenario. Then I remember that these cards have personalities, and not purely raw elemental type deals. Shield probably knew that Sakura needed it to get out of the way.

And the Tomoyo Sakura Theater is something special. Of all the uses for a home cinema, that is the most yuri-tastic.

Pooya

Terror in Engrish 7

First half is just boring, second half is ruined by terrible Five. The show kind of jumped the shark.

disappointing.

Finalow

Tokyo Ghoul 8 / Anime

now that I've read the manga I just gotta deal with the fact the anime adaptation is bloody awful.
the whole fight Amon vs Kaneki was terrible while in the manga it's pretty good. Kaneki doesn't get beaten up for no reason like a dumb kid (which he is, but not as dumb as the anime portraits him) and then he suddenly bites him. he realizes whatever he said "I'm the only one - I have to make him understand etc" *ghoul eye activated, then he provokes him - Amon loses his concentration, Kaneki dodges his attacks and bites him.
the Mado fight, well, I didn't even like it in the manga. it's funny how *manga spoilers*
Hinami is totally useless after that, like they use her just a couple of times for "her senses" and that's it.
while from this fight she appears to have some super kagune capable of killing a pretty skilled investigator.

anyhow, as far as I remember the scene Mado vs Jason and the whole Jason "introduction" is just an anime filler. I don't understand why they would do that since they're trying to skip a lot of stuff. they also did the whole ghoul restaurant thing way before it happens in the manga, they also did it much worse.

and censorship, I can't imagine how they're going to deal with some scenes later on if they can't even show an hand getting cut off, lol. edit: right, they even changed the hand that Hinami was holding with a purse.

Zankyou No Terror 7

Amazing episode. I was entertained by the engrish so much in the first half. No joke when Five was speaking engrish, it sounded like when Meow in Space Dandy says his real name, that "Wree Mree Mreeow", same way of speaking like if you couldn't control your tongue.

The other half was pretty interesting. I'm now part of the 'Lisa is useless and adding complications' team. Not every character needs a use, but her sole purpose right now is to be the foil of two leads, and the coined 'useless moe' isn't too far off now.

Five better have an actual reason for all of this besides
"you left me behind!"
or I'll be very disappointed.

Terror in Engrish 7

First half is just boring, second half is ruined by terrible Five. The show kind of jumped the shark.

disappointing.

Oh, so I'm not the only one who felt the first part was boring. Taking in account it's supposed to be a race against time where both parties try to catch the other and etc etc it was kind of boring. And the end, this show is soooo dumb. Even being the FBI and having orders the police boss to collaborate you can't do whatever you want because they are leaving lots of witness of everything they are doing (and they aren't even try to hide it), from dozens of policemen to all the airport staff, eventually some journalists would pick up the trail and a big scandal would blow up to the face of the government. But that's too much RL reasoning.

Well, Terror in Resonance, you wanted to be like western films and tv series and congrats, you did it! You are as dumb as a Roland Emmerich or Michael Bay movie.
You fuckin' did it.

Fate/Zero 1

Exposition! Walking around in circles!

No, seriously, why are these two just walking in a circle around this guy while explaining the backstory?

Wait, this priest is the guy's father? This is so not church doctrine.

Well, that just upped the ick factor to infinity.

So, that was a lot of exposition, with not much action. Or time to really get to know the characters. Also, a lot of characters. But with that out of the way, maybe the story can begin.

Good! All you need to know is Archer is basically the biggest egomaniac ever, and pretty much invincible, and Rider is the biggest bro ever, and oh being lancer is suffering.

Aria: The Animation 02

This show is so relaxing I was actually able to fall asleep to it last night when I didn't think I would sleep at all. The silly faces the characters make are so fun to watch.

So there is a yearly flood that happens every year at the same time in Neo Venezia? You'd think they would implement some counter measure to this.

I'm starting to see the structure to this show. We have some conflict in the beginning/middle of an episode which is resolved before the end of it. It's not to overly sentimental or sappy (No sappy lines allowed!) and the pacing feels just right. Aika is not entirely happy at the company she works at so she decide to run to another where the mentor is much more mellow. She discovers that although her instructor can be harsh they work with each other the best.

Frog-fu

Banned
Zanky&#333; no Terror 07

So who else thinks Five is a massive bitch and that her actions thus far completely break suspension of disbelief?

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 48-50 END
Thus ends the third season of the show, which remains as entertaining as ever. In a way, the title of this season telegraphs what it's about: More Doremi! that is, there's no real unity compared to the self-contained arc of the OG series or the super-focused Sharp which had a clear overarching theme. Hell, they even end the season mid-plot and start teasing with Dokkan in the post-credits, LOL.

It doesn't really matter though, because what this season does is play up the antics and comedy ten-fold, becoming more lax with structure and character interactions and giving rise to amazing light episodes such as 40 and 47 and just completely off-the-wall showings like 37 and 46.
Traditional 'side character of the week' style episodes are still around in abundance, of course, but the show refreshes itself with new cast additions who play off the established cast well. Highlights here were episode 15 (the one about the mom working at a bar) and the 3-ep arc about Kayoko, from which 20 and 45 were stellar.

Naisho is next, but I want to stock up on short anime first. I've been aching to see certain works, but I've been too occupied marathoning Doremi :p.

Syrinx

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 48-50 END
Thus ends the third season of the show, which remains as entertaining as ever. In a way, the title of this season telegraphs what it's about: More Doremi! that is, there's no real unity compared to the self-contained arc of the OG series or the super-focused Sharp which had a clear overarching theme. Hell, they even end the season mid-plot and start teasing with Dokkan in the post-credits, LOL.

It doesn't really matter though, because what this season does is play up the antics and comedy ten-fold, becoming more lax with structure and character interactions and giving rise to amazing light episodes such as 40 and 47 and just completely off-the-wall showings like 37 and 46.
Traditional 'side character of the week' style episodes are still around in abundance, of course, but the show refreshes itself with new cast additions who play off the established cast well. Highlights here were episode 15 (the one about the mom working at a bar) and the 3-ep arc about Kayoko, from which 20 and 45 were stellar.

Naisho is next, but I want to stock up on short anime first. I've been aching to see certain works, but I've been too occupied marathoning Doremi :p.
Naisho is only 13 episodes or so but it has some of the best episodes in the whole franchise.

And yes, episode 47 was the greatest.

Freaking Xillia 2 is making me want to try watching Fate/Zero again and pick up where I left off. What with the studio that does the anime scenes and all that.

duckroll

So does anyone actually know what happened to Iso? Did he straight up leave the industry?

For years after Denno Coil, he would continue to update his personal website from time to time (sometimes years apart) with points of interest regarding Denno Coil stuff - re-releases, licensing, or even public science events in Japan about AR stuff. Since the failure of the series he hasn't directed, written, or storyboarded anything again. It's pretty certain that he has done animation work for some productions - either uncredited or using a pseudonym.

Zankkyou no Terror - 07

The technicality is there but the plot has become nonsense in my eyes. I mentioned it when the last episode aired, the Sphinxes going to the airport made no sense whatsoever. Now the events that actually took place here made none either. I don't even really understand what anyone was trying to achieve really. Because if the FBI and Five wanted a bomb to blow up and take many lives or capture Five and Nine they could've done so with ease. Meanwhile Nine and Twelve... gained fucking what? Nine got to stare Five in the face? If he wanted to kill her, nothing 'actually' stopped him from doing so.

So what stops Five from doing another 50 bomb threats, will our Sphinxes appear at each one of them in order to save their current (YouTube-) image?

While at least technically on a high level, this show is in a similar spot as Aldnoah Zero for me. It's been 7 episodes and feels rather lacking.

I'm also rather annoyed about the way this show withholds information about the most important aspects, such as whatever happened in Nine's and Twelve's past and what goal are they trying to achieve now. It's kinda cheap to have us follow these guys closely without revealing all that in a timely manner.

I mean it's pretty obvious they're building up to some big twist but eh, if you're actively waiting for it, it has already lost some of its strength. Doesn't help that it means the audience has a all the time in the world to think of all kinds of routes this could go down. I mean no one is going to be surprised if Twelve and Nine have actually really honorable intentions. Especially knowing they avoid casualties as much as possible, surely there's a reason for that.

Keeping all that a mystery probably helps to distract from the currently ongoing plot which is kinda nonsensical and bad. At least one can look forward that mystery revelation.

You stopped watching Fate Zero for any other reason besides "I finished the show"?

Et tu Nintendoman?

I started watching it June last year, but I let it slide back then because the long exposition first-episode back then kind of burned me out and I sort of forgot about it at the time, haha. Not too much later after that I started watching TTGL for the first time.

It's been sitting on my backlog ever since. With me always saying: "I'll get to it eventually".

zulux21

For years after Denno Coil, he would continue to update his personal website from time to time (sometimes years apart) with points of interest regarding Denno Coil stuff - re-releases, licensing, or even public science events in Japan about AR stuff. Since the failure of the series he hasn't directed, written, or storyboarded anything again. It's pretty certain that he has done animation work for some productions - either uncredited or using a pseudonym.

sad face.... I didn't realize denno coil was a failure... was a solid show :(

Finalow

Oh, so I'm not the only one who felt the first part was boring. Taking in account it's supposed to be a race against time where both parties try to catch the other and etc etc it was kind of boring. And the end, this show is soooo dumb. Even being the FBI and having orders the police boss to collaborate you can't do whatever you want because they are leaving lots of witness of everything they are doing (and they aren't even try to hide it), from dozens of policemen to all the airport staff, eventually some journalists would pick up the trail and a big scandal would blow up to the face of the government. But that's too much RL reasoning.

Well, Terror in Resonance, you wanted to be like western films and tv series and congrats, you did it! You are as dumb as a Roland Emmerich or Michael Bay movie.
You fuckin' did it.
that's true but to be fair the show has been pretty dumb from the start. :p

I guess Admiral Woofington isn't people :p

Congrats Admiral, you've convinced the entire world you're actually a dog :p

Am I seriously going to be judged because I'm not following the hate bandwagon? Most of the folks complaining haven't enjoyed most episodes from what I recall so....

It's not like I'm calling it the show of the season, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on some of the plot holes of how reality works, and I've been calling out issues on every episode.

edit: also fuck all y'all, the Engrish was amazing and a 10/10 by itself alone.

I started watching it June last year, but I let it slide back then because the long exposition first-episode back then kind of burned me out and I sort of forgot about it at the time, haha. Not too much later after that I started watching TTGL for the first time.

It's been sitting on my backlog ever since. With me always saying: "I'll get to it eventually".

Is Woofdawg gonna have to choke a Nintendoman? Jokes aside, you really should get to it, especially with Fate Stay Night coming out next season.

Jarmel

Banned

Did the show bomb badly enough for him to be blacklisted or is it just him depressed that the show didn't take off? Did he ever do a post-mortem interview? It's just that I imagine someone had to have tracked him down to wherever he is. It seems like he's out of the industry though.

Hes been animating 4.0.

And it's all CGI.

duckroll

Did the show bomb badly enough for him to be blacklisted or is it just him depressed that the show didn't take off? Did he ever do a post-mortem interview? It's just that I imagine someone had to have tracked him down to wherever he is. It seems like he's out of the industry though.

He has never spoken about it and he has never been interviewed about it. Japan is not like the west where people are "tracked down" to give answers. His friends in the industry definitely know where he is and what he's doing, but no one will talk about it because they respect privacy. It's none of the public's business.

Keiko Nobumoto vanished from the industry after Tokyo Godfathers too. She's now back writing Space Dandy. What happened during all those years? Who knows. Unless you know the person personally you'll probably never find out, and that's probably a healthier thing culturally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom