• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Tokyo Ghoul 8
They really messed up the exchanges of dialogue between Kaneki and Amon. In the manga he wasn't some punk kid the anime made him out to be. He fought all the way through and didn't do the whole "I'm going to have to accept this monster inside of me bit," the usual shounen protag would. Not to mention the character development that was supposed to happen wasn't as effective. Sure he understood his place in the world, but at the same time in the manga, he took Amon's words to heart.

It's weird that manga Kaneki has undeniably matured much more than his anime counterpart has, when his anime counterpart has gone through much more technically speaking.

He has never spoken about it and he has never been interviewed about it. Japan is not like the west where people are "tracked down" to give answers. His friends in the industry definitely know where he is and what he's doing, but no one will talk about it because they respect privacy. It's none of the public's business.

Keiko Nobumoto vanished from the industry after Tokyo Godfathers too. She's now back writing Space Dandy. What happened during all those years? Who knows. Unless you know the person personally you'll probably never find out, and that's probably a healthier thing culturally.

Well this particularly thing might be healthier than hounding people from Hollywood, but this is also the culture where if an idol, VA or music star does anything remotely out of the ordinary like having a relationship or saying one negative thing one time they get shat on and must apologize to practically the whole country because fans apparently hold a grudge.

I don't know the exact story but isn't the actress from Pacific Rim looked down upon?

Terror in Resonance 7

The problem I have with this show is even after 7 episodes, I still have no clue what anyone's motivation is beyond Shibazaki. This could have been a more grounded and subdued Death Note, but instead it's just vague boringness.

Crocodile

Am I seriously going to be judged because I'm not following the hate bandwagon? Most of the folks complaining haven't enjoyed most episodes from what I recall so....

It's not like I'm calling it the show of the season, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief on some of the plot holes of how reality works, and I've been calling out issues on every episode.

edit: also fuck all y'all, the Engrish was amazing and a 10/10 by itself alone.

25e25429ace4eeeb1e308cb0fb2ada14.jpg

How in the world did you misconstrue that as an attack on you? I was joking that since Shard ignored/didn't see your opinion, you had played up the dog jokes so much that people bought into it as your persona. IT WAS A JOKE. Like I didn't mean to offend but I also don't see how that wasn't obvious *scratches head*

Jarmel

Banned
He has never spoken about it and he has never been interviewed about it. Japan is not like the west where people are "tracked down" to give answers. His friends in the industry definitely know where he is and what he's doing, but no one will talk about it because they respect privacy. It's none of the public's business.

Keiko Nobumoto vanished from the industry after Tokyo Godfathers too. She's now back writing Space Dandy. What happened during all those years? Who knows. Unless you know the person personally you'll probably never find out, and that's probably a healthier thing culturally.

Hmmm. It definitely is a healthier thing culturally, it's just that it's sort of weird/hard for people to sort of disappear in this day and age, in that sense.

Is Amagi Brilliant Park a Harem?

Serious answer, I don't know. I've heard it is and isn't. He seemingly isn't interested in the girls but I have no clue if the girls want the D or not.

Yeah it's a harem but it does have a main girl.

Supposedly it's not the one people think it is.

duckroll

Well this particularly thing might be healthier than hounding people from Hollywood, but this is also the culture where if an idol, VA or music star does anything remotely out of the ordinary like having a relationship or saying one negative thing one time they get shat on and must apologize to practically the whole country because fans apparently hold a grudge.

I don't know the exact story but isn't the actress from Pacific Rim looked down upon?

What you're talking about is really just idol culture. Some VAs promote themselves in the same way and are seen as idols, but that's definitely not true for all or even most of them. It's pretty toxic, but that's the price people pay for wanting fans like that in the first place. They're easy to get because they're bottom feeder losers who obsess over people and not normal healthy functioning human beings. Most people don't really care what people do in their private life, and lots of singers and actors have scandals and stuff which don't really affect their careers at all. It just depends on your audience. If your audience are basement dwellers, then yeah you're going to have problems.

Terror in Resonance 7

The problem I have with this show is even after 7 episodes, I still have no clue what anyone's motivation is beyond Shibazaki. This could have been a more grounded and subdued Death Note, but instead it's just vague boringness.

See this I can't disagree with. If the main characters had been the Tokyo Police detectives then our main characters would have a goal, to stop the terrorist attacks. That'd be enough to fuel episodes for a bit as you get more and more glimpses into what the terrorists are attempting to do. But with the terrorists filling in the shoes of protagonists, and not explaining what their goal is besides a musical flashback of them running away as kids, then there are issues in keeping the audience interested if we don't know what the goal of the protagonists is.

Being unaware is fine if done correctly. I'll argue that this show is really trying to be V for Vendetta. But V was focused, even when we didn't know exactly what the lead was doing he had a clear goal of killing x people for y reasons, and then we'd find out his goal. This show has been introducing new characters and now adding more complication.

Heck even Death Note had a simple goal of 'kill all the criminals', and then it expanded into a cat and mouse game. I'm still enjoying it but they really need to start working on their plot foundations.

[IM]http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/25/e2/54/25e25429ace4eeeb1e308cb0fb2ada14.jpg[/IMG]

How in the world did you misconstrue that as an attack on you? I was joking that since Shard ignored/didn't see your opinion, you had played up the dog jokes so much that people bought into it as your persona. IT WAS A JOKE. Like I didn't mean to offend but I also don't see how that wasn't obvious *scratches head*

I didn't say you were attacking me, I was only stating my reasons as to why I enjoyed the episode, shed some light on the fact most here came in prepared to hate the show, even went ahead and said that engrish was largely why. Admittedly the opening of that comment could've been clearer. Regardless, I'm not a negative nancy unless the show or episode deserves it. And this show is simply not explaining things or taking liberties with reality, not enough for me to pretend it's a horrible show.

Zankyou No Terror 7

Amazing episode. I was entertained by the engrish so much in the first half. No joke when Five was speaking engrish, it sounded like when Meow in Space Dandy says his real name, that "Wree Mree Mreeow", same way of speaking like if you couldn't control your tongue.

The other half was pretty interesting. I'm now part of the 'Lisa is useless and adding complications' team. Not every character needs a use, but her sole purpose right now is to be the foil of two leads, and the coined 'useless moe' isn't too far off now.

Five better have an actual reason for all of this besides
"you left me behind!"
or I'll be very disappointed.

I feel like you are the only one with sense in here! Amazing episodes indeed.

Mature

What you're talking about is really just idol culture. Some VAs promote themselves in the same way and are seen as idols, but that's definitely not true for all or even most of them. It's pretty toxic, but that's the price people pay for wanting fans like that in the first place. They're easy to get because they're bottom feeder losers who obsess over people and not normal healthy functioning human beings. Most people don't really care what people do in their private life, and lots of singers and actors have scandals and stuff which don't really affect their careers at all. It just depends on your audience. If your audience are basement dwellers, then yeah you're going to have problems.
Everyone should watch Perfect Blue for further reading!

The world would be a better place if more people watched Shounen Hollywood.
Care to elaborate why? (Or link to where you already have, perhaps?) Just glancing at Wikipedia tells me it's a sequel to a novel. Kind of a tough sell.

duckroll

Hmmm. It definitely is a healthier thing culturally, it's just that it's sort of weird/hard for people to sort of disappear in this day and age, in that sense.

I find it pretty common in Japan actually, especially since videogames and anime production are industries which are generally not considered "public life". Sometimes I think as fans we think of talented people we respect and admire as figures who are more public than they really are. In reality they're just people who have an office job making stuff which we happen to really like. If they're not interested in telegraphing their life online for everyone to see, more power to them.

Mature

I find it pretty common in Japan actually, especially since videogames and anime production are industries which are generally not considered "public life". Sometimes I think as fans we think of talented people we respect and admire as figures who are more public than they really are. In reality they're just people who have an office job making stuff which we happen to really like. If they're not interested in telegraphing their life online for everyone to see, more power to them.
Are the fans in Japan less vocal about the individual people that make up a show? I could see the industry being less public about their upcoming work (or lack there of) if they had less vocal fans in general.

Crocodile

I didn't say you were attacking me, I was only stating my reasons as to why I enjoyed the episode, shed some light on the fact most here came in prepared to hate the show, even went ahead and said that engrish was largely why. Admittedly the opening of that comment could've been clearer. Regardless, I'm not a negative nancy unless the show or episode deserves it. And this show is simply not explaining things or taking liberties with reality, not enough for me to pretend it's a horrible show.

You asked if you were being judged. I'm not judging you or your opinion so you don't have to defend it to me (I haven't even seen that episode yet so I can't have an opinion). I guess I must have misread because that post came off as defensive which only makes sense if you think I was being offensive (which I wasn't).

Finalow

Terror in Resonance 7

it's ok, they're probably going to reveal their motives/actual plans with a 20 seconds flashback in the last episode.

duckroll

Are the fans in Japan less vocal about the individual people that make up a show? I could see the industry being less public about their upcoming work (or lack there of) if they had less vocal fans in general.

Well, even outside of Japan, how many people who watch movies do you think really know about the individuals who make it? Even among fans, aside from directors I don't think it's that common to find people who are well versed in directors of photography, second unit directors, storyboard artists, vfx directors, costume designers, etc. The most hardcore audiences who follow the industry closely are probably aware, but that's not really the norm.

You asked if you were being judged. I'm not judging you or your opinion so you don't have to defend it to me (I haven't even seen that episode yet so I can't have an opinion). I guess I must have misread because that post came off as defensive which only makes sense if you think I was being offensive (which I wasn't).

Should've been more careful with the connotation and word choice, my b.

Care to elaborate why? (Or link to where you already have, perhaps?) Just glancing at Wikipedia tells me it's a sequel to a novel. Kind of a tough sell.

I'll refer to you here and here. In a sentence, it's a quirky yet grounded slice-of-life show about a group of young men figuring out their future, exploring how dreams don't always come true and how to handle life despite that. It is set 15 years after the novel of the same name, which followed the original Shounen Hollywood group while the anime follows a new generation, but it doesn't require knowledge of the novel to follow. One episode is a play; one episode features a musical sequence. It's well worth watching!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, even outside of Japan, how many people who watch movies do you think really know about the individuals who make it? Even among fans, aside from directors I don't think it's that common to find people who are well versed in directors of photography, second unit directors, storyboard artists, vfx directors, costume designers, etc. The most hardcore audiences who follow the industry closely are probably aware, but that's not really the norm.
It's why most people only care about the awards in the last 30 minutes of the Oscars anyway.

Everyone should watch Perfect Blue for further reading!

I have a of lot past posts talking about why I like it if you're interested.

duckroll

I'll refer to you here and here. In a sentence, it's a quirky yet grounded slice-of-life show about a group of young men figuring out their future, exploring how dreams don't always come true and how to handle life despite that. It is set 15 years after the novel of the same name, which followed the original Shounen Hollywood group while the anime follows a new generation, but it doesn't require knowledge of the novel to follow. One episode is a play; one episode features a musical sequence. It's well worth watching!

I really need to give this show a try. I didn't think I would have liked Nozaki-kun either, but after the recommendations here I tried it out and loved it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Shit is too long anyway though.
There is that. I'm looking forward to not watching the Emmys and just waiting for people to bitch about the winners the day after.

Ah, thanks for those. I just gave the first one a bit of a watch so far. I was actually thinking of if that part was based off of something that happens or not. I'm not from or ever been to Venice and I thought of things like the tide like the guy in the video mentions but that's a lot more than once a year. Just watching some documentary programs sometimes and you find out about specific little events like that that can happen. I just wondered if it was part of the made up story for Aqua or not.
You'll find that a lot of the Venetian traditions are based on real ones... and it's strange how authentic everything feels considering Amano herself - at least as of the release of the Aria The Origination DVDs in Japan - has never been to Venice. A little research goes a long way.

Mature

Ah, that's certainly true. It's easy to get caught up in the vacuum of staff whoring.

Great, I'll give it a look!

Aria: The Animation 03

A new character is introduced and she is a little rough around the edges. After spending some time with Akira, Alice comes to the realization she has to relax a bit more and learn to smile. Akatsuki comes off as very demanding and a hot head at first but he is really a nice guy.

We get to see how the world functions with the floating island the controls the atmosphere. It looks like there are pieces of land sticking out of the endless ocean. I have to wonder how much of this world is land and sea.

mankoto

Love Stage 7
One part of me is going to be sad when this is all over. Another part telling me not to read the manga.

I still don't understand the imagery behind Ryouma and Izumi turning into sky backdrops when things happen, but okay.

cajunator

Banned
We even got Jexhius here to start promoting the show, and his opinion actually matters to people here! lol

If you're gonna watch it, expect the complete opposite of Korra though. Little action besides an arc in the beginning and end. The show shines in its politics, economics, world building and non-standard lead. Shiroe speaks to me because he's an engineer with what is easily the most clever mind for strategy and plays entirely in the background as he makes his puppets dance. Amazing lead.

Also there's a lot of glasses pushing.
a5W2UmU.gif

I love the glasses pushing stuff. I can identify with that. my nose bridge is really narrow so I have had to do that a lot. Now I use those glasses bands that go around my head.
But it doesnt look as cool!

Fate/Zero 2

Holy hell, Caster!

So this show is going to be super-edgy, I take it?

Yeah its got quite a dark edge to it. I wont say angsty, because thats Fate stay Night with its teenage mrgrgr, but Fate Zero just has a lot of cold hearted bastards in it and they dont get mad, they absolutely get even.

Ok, so I'm trying this again since my friend kept telling me to, and you guys and gals said it would be worth it.

Bakemonogatari Episode 1

The art, the cuts and the way this anime presents itself is fantastic, superb in every way that I could think of. I have not seen that much animes yet, but this one is so far above the rest (
in those categories
) that I've seen it is not even funny.

However... main guy is a douche with the friendly / kind librarian character. Even though the latter seems to like the same things that he does (
yes, I mean in that sense, but I might be imagining things
), she shouldn't have to put up with his bullshit.

Now, to the main event: Senjougahara. I like dere characters, that's not the problem. But this one is written is a way (so far, only 1 episode so bear with me) that I cannot do anything besides hate her, with all fibers in my being. I should really congratulate the writer, because I never felt such hate watching anime in a long time. Yes, I understand that there are much, MUCH worse characters (mass murderers, liars, cheaters, plain old cunts, etc) in the anime universe, but she kinda hit me in all the wrong places.

Oshino san, though, is very good. Liked a lot the character. Witty, smart, knowledgeable, nice balance from the girl.

Sorry if you dontl ike Senjou. I like the way she is and many others do too, but I could see how you might hate her. Youll likely find a waifu in there somewhere lol.
The style and approach of the show is unlike anything else really (aside from other Shaft)
Never will you see so many creative ways to frame two people talking (as Jexhius has pointed out)

Sentai's December releases have been revealed! http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?34698-Sentai-Filmworks-December-2014-Solicitations

There's actually a few surprises on there for me; a combo pack with both seasons of Ef, a standalone BD of Hidamari Sketch SP and most surprising of all, a BD release for Detroit Metal City. I never thought that would happen in a million years!

Sentai is getting more courageous with its pricing I see. Still gonna nab Chuunibyo blurays and Infinite Stratos 2 for wonderful mofuwa love and naturally hidamari Sketch SP. But whats this? DETROIT METAL CITY BLURAY? SOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

I figured this would be as good as a place to ask as any.

Does anyone know if there is a good place to buy OSTs as well as singles/albums from Japanese musicians with digital downloads?

I only know of CDJapan for physical releases. Not sure of a japanese digital media service. Does Itunes carry a lot?

The beach at my college wasn't bad, barely any bugs, usually only 5-10 people across a half mile stretch... and not to hot because it was the U.P. so beach weather was 75-80 lol

As for the review format I actually copy and pasted that from one of my old blog posts (I didn't want to link to that because I had amazon affiliate links in the article, something I never got working right, but still something I don't want to be linking to from this site as I don't want to cause any trouble) in that review there is also a full list of characters from the opening with small details about them (hidden behind a button you have to press if you want the minor spoilers :p) and pictures (that are mostly still working :p) that I didn't feel like copying over for an example, but that is in general how I try to review my anime. I don't like to give any real spoilers, and I prefer to talk about what type of people would typically enjoy the show as well as what is unique about the show. I should write more of those at some point... I stopped because I only had a few people who read them and they were taking me a few hours to put together.

It's likely because I have been working with people to recommend anime to new anime watchers for 10 years now that I am so "it's a waste of time." Over the years I have always found it best to throw the big ones at them (FMA, Bebop, death note ect) then follow up with less straightforward shows (neon genesis (yes despite me myself finding it to not be anything special I still recommend it to most people eventually), lain, and maybe something like mushishi) from there I typically work with them to find what aspects of the shows they liked and didn't like and work with them from that point as they actually have an anime personality at that point and have an idea of what they like or don't like about anime. As I said though I am always more than willing to help someone find something to watch if they are willing to put in a little effort themselves going into detail about what they want.

and yeah CG isn't going anywhere, it's only going to get cheaper and cheaper as tech gets better and better. It's a lot easier to make one detailed character model and use programs to alter than in scenes then draw the model over and over in the different scenes.

*looks at this list as well as another one*
nope I haven't a clue what in the hell makes something josei instead of shojo lol.

though it seems likely it's more just the age group the drama is dealing with as most of those shows are college age drama instead of highschool o_O

by all means keep up with those review posts! They are quite a welcome addition here.

Aria: The Animation 02

This show is so relaxing I was actually able to fall asleep to it last night when I didn't think I would sleep at all. The silly faces the characters make are so fun to watch.

So there is a yearly flood that happens every year at the same time in Neo Venezia? You'd think they would implement some counter measure to this.

I'm starting to see the structure to this show. We have some conflict in the beginning/middle of an episode which is resolved before the end of it. It's not to overly sentimental or sappy (No sappy lines allowed!) and the pacing feels just right. Aika is not entirely happy at the company she works at so she decide to run to another where the mentor is much more mellow. She discovers that although her instructor can be harsh they work with each other the best.

This is indeed a relaxing show. If I were to criticize a bit it is TOO relaxed sometimes, leading inevitably to falling asleep sometimes. But if you are well awake, watch a good bit of it. Its really beautiful and cute.

jbug617

Banned
Cajun hold off on Infinite Stratos 2. It's only coming out on DVD in December and they confirmed that the Bluray release is coming out after.

Syrinx

Chihayafuru 7

PfGCoSy.png

Deep shirt breh.

Chihaya, good as she is, still has a lot of room to improve in her memorization. Hopefully that's what she takes away from this.

Chihaya in this episode was great. Just walking into Komano's classroom and recruiting him, then dragging him and his desk all the way to their shed after he refuses. Komano's a dope.

Does anyone know how long it takes for live-action movies to get subbed? I enjoyed the last Rurouni Kenshin film, and am aware the sequel is out but still raw.

Persona The golden - 07

Alright episode ..i really liked how they did adachi this time , but it's a shame they only took care of his character during 2 episodes. As for marie , well it's ok i guess ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom