• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

So have you seen Mars of Destruction yet?

Mars isn't so bad... the animation is terrible, the story is terrible, but it's terrible in a mystery science riffable way (actually did this with some friends in college)

found the chrono trigger OVA to be way worse to watch. The animation was a little better than mars, and the story was terrible, but we had major problems riffing it and in the end we had to drop it from our project because we just couldn't make it fun to watch :/

Fate/zero

RIP Rider )=, man you know you are badass when you make even Gilgamesh respect you. Gil went full out, he didn't talk down to Rider, he didn't spam his weapons, he showed his true power. Rider is the most biggest bro in the entire nasuverse, no doubt. I hope he is back for the sequel.

Shergal

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 46
ohmigod this episode was hysterical. I've noticed that these crazy-ass episodes are mostly written by the same guy, Yamatoya Akatsuki. Just this season he wrote episode 40 with the sweet potatoes, the one about the fairy strike, the Nobu-chan manga one with Doremi Robo and the temple visit episode. He also wrote some more 'normal' episodes like the kid who had a cop dad, or Momo-chan taking care of Hana, but what sets him apart is that with him the characters feel slightly crazier and thus the interactions, comedic or otherwise, are always more snappy and on the edge. Stuff like Doremi seriously telling a dude to hide in an oven, the girls getting super mad at Kotake for not trying their sweets, or the way he handles Aiko in general which makes her seem like an insane person, lol.

e: oh and what do you know, he was the lead writer for all Gintama seasons. I can't say how much this matters though since I haven't seen Gintama and yes, it's an adaptation, but from reading other people it seems to have great comedy.

Midonin

Aikatsu! 96

Lots of twinkly music box BGM this time around. Akari's overcoming a lot of personal.... I won't say demons, but confidence issues in these episodes, so I wonder if there's going to be anything left for her when she takes over as protagonist. Ichigo's role was a lot smaller than it's been recently. I do enjoy episodes like this for a change of pace, just that, once again, it feels like the show is quickly approaching the end of an era.

Motto! Ojamajo Doremi 46
ohmigod this episode was hysterical. I've noticed that these crazy-ass episodes are mostly written by the same guy, Yamatoya Akatsuki. Just this season he wrote episode 40 with the sweet potatoes, the one about the fairy strike, the Nobu-chan manga one with Doremi Robo and the temple visit episode. He also wrote some more 'normal' episodes like the kid who had a cop dad, or Momo-chan taking care of Hana, but what sets him apart is that with him the characters feel slightly crazier and thus the interactions, comedic or otherwise, are always more snappy and on the edge. Stuff like Doremi seriously telling a dude to hide in an oven, the girls getting super mad at Kotake for not trying their sweets, or the way he handles Aiko in general which makes her seem like an insane person, lol.

e: oh and what do you know, he was the lead writer for all Gintama seasons. I can't say how much this matters though since I haven't seen Gintama and yes, it's an adaptation, but from reading other people it seems to have great comedy.

I believe it does matter since Gintama's comedy is well crafted and really great.

Link Man

Banned
I haven't watched any anime except Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix at all recently. I'm loving it, but I'm at the last season and will want something new to watch. What is the best of the best of the anime of the season of summer of 2014 y'all?

I've got a CrunchyRoll subscription, so I'm all set there.

If you're enjoying FMA, you might like Akame ga Kill.

If you're enjoying FMA, you might like Akame ga Kill.

Considering that FMA has a lot of depth towards it's characters and Plot. I don't know if he would like Akame Ga Kill since it barely has any character development, Villains are cartoonish, and the plot isn't well developed either. Unless he likes over the top edginess and the shock value.

Roubjon

Well if you're set on watching shows from the current season then I can only recommend Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun which is a comedy. Barakamon is also pretty well regarded around here, although I'm not following it.

Other than that I'm rather disappointed in the others shows or they aren't interesting me to begin with.

Why not watch something good from outside this season?

I'm open to anything really. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything worth watching this season.

Considering that FMA has a lot of depth towards it's characters and Plot. I don't know if he would like Akame Ga Kill since it barely has any character development, Villains are cartoonish, and the plot isn't well developed either. Unless he likes over the top edginess and the shock value.

I mean, I enjoyed watching World Conquest Zvezda Plot, so even if it's rather shallow I'm fine with it as long as it clicks with me. But yeah, if something has more depth to it, then I'd much rather spend time with that compared to something that's just visually stimulating.

I haven't watched any anime except Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood on Netflix at all recently. I'm loving it, but I'm at the last season and will want something new to watch. What is the best of the best of the anime of the season of summer of 2014 y'all?

I've got a CrunchyRoll subscription, so I'm all set there.

You may want to open up your search criteria to things outside just this season, I think a lot of the higher profile shows that people were hyping up before this season ended up disappointing a few people (myself included). Point is, if you're looking for anything in the same genre / containing the same tone like Fullmetal Alchemist from this season then you're going to come up empty. The best shows from this season are Slice of Life / Comedies.

That said, out of that selection ...

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun - probably the most consistently enjoyable thing that I've seen this season and a show that came completely out of left field.

Barakamon - I'm basing this mainly on GAF's reception of the series as I've only seen the first episode but a lot of positive reaction to this

Space Dandy S2 - Much more consistently enjoyable than season 1 was and since its episodic there's really no downside from just starting at this point and moving forward.

Zankyou no Terror - Probably the best non-slice of life/comedy airing this season? Its got some issues with making the battle of wits between opposing sides all that interesting in later episodes but a combination of the great animation and stellar soundtrack makes me keep tuning in regardless.

From last season there's ...

Ping Pong the Animation - Best anime thats aired this year. Don't let the subject matter put you off.

Mushishi Season 2 - It's Mushishi.

Roubjon

You may want to open up your search criteria to things outside just this season, I think a lot of the higher profile shows that people were hyping up before this season ended up disappointing a few people (myself included). Point is, if you're looking for anything in the same genre / containing the same tone like Fullmetal Alchemist from this season then you're going to come up empty. The best shows from this season are Slice of Life / Comedies...

Thanks man. I completely forgot about Space Dandy and should look into that, as well as the other stuff you suggested.

And yeah, Mushi-shi is great.

I'm open to anything really. I guess I was just wondering if there was anything worth watching this season.

I mean, I enjoyed watching World Conquest Zvezda Plot, so even if it's rather shallow I'm fine with it as long as it clicks with me. But yeah, if something has more depth to it, then I'd much rather spend time with that compared to something that's just visually stimulating.

Well if you want great shows this season try

Barakamon (Slice of Life and comedy that contains messages and is heartwarming)

Nozaki-kun (makes fun of shoujo tropes)

Terror in Resonance (Thriller with cat and mouse dynamic)

Midonin

Glasslip 08

That was a very nice sequence before the first eyecatch. Otherwise, the show remains as it is. Slow-paced, no big drama outbursts yet, and Touko's visions of the future throwing her into uncertainty as to what she actually wants to do. None of the more impactful ones have actually happened yet. I wonder if the stills are an artistic choice.

Link Man

Banned
Fate/Zero 1

Exposition! Walking around in circles!

No, seriously, why are these two just walking in a circle around this guy while explaining the backstory?

Wait, this priest is the guy's father? This is so not church doctrine.

Well, that just upped the ick factor to infinity.

So, that was a lot of exposition, with not much action. Or time to really get to know the characters. Also, a lot of characters. But with that out of the way, maybe the story can begin.

pkg01vrkyj.jpg

Date A Live II vol 4 details are up. Includes 9 minutes of unaired scenes, an inferior cover to vol 4 of season 1, and some other stuff.

Acosta

Nanana

6uuaabF.jpg

Found the time to finish this. I have this feeling I could have used the time to watch something better, and with that I'm not saying it was bad, but it was not great though. It was entertaining and it had some nice characters (Nanana and Tensai overall) but I have this feeling I got nothing form the story, just a bunch of stuff happening in a kind of disjointed way.

Just entertaining I would say. It has its moments.

Link Man

Banned
Nanana

6uuaabF.jpg

Found the time to finish this. I have this feeling I could have used the time to watch something better, and with that I'm not saying it was bad, but it was not great though. It was entertaining and it had some nice characters (Nanana and Tensai overall) but I have this feeling I got nothing form the story, just a bunch of stuff happening in a kind of disjointed way.

Just entertaining I would say. It has its moments.

Yeah, it would have benefited from a complete arc.

Mononoke

Banned
Glasslip 08

I didn't mind the slow pacing at first. In fact, I kind of liked the warm feel of the show, and how laid back it was in tone. But it's starting to really get on my nerves now. I think my issue is more so with the characters, and how much it feels like they are emotionally flat. The show already has a very subdued laid back style, but these characters are dealing with some pretty heavy emotional stuff (at least with regards to the group becoming disconnected, and certain people having strong romantic feelings for others they can't have). You almost want to slap these people at how blank they are.

The characters are almost comatose. Doesn't help that the pacing/editing is strange on this show too. I can't really explain it, but this show is like being in a really bad drug trip where everything is muted, and feels off.

Also, these characters are all kind of awful. Hiro is the only likable person out of this, and he's getting strung a long by a girl that was using him. Gah damn. Maybe this ends like School Days and takes a dark turn. :p We can only hope.

Hidamari Sketch End

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH? Sae has a little sister? Oh god she's so cute. I totally wasn't ready for this. D: Heh, it's only fitting that they get a christmas cake from the christmas cake. So much feels from this episode! I hope that the little sister shows up again.

Final thoughts: I know that this show has been pretty well received before but I honestly wasn't expecting it to be this good. It was cute, it was relaxing, and it has just a bit of fanservice. This is definitely one of my favorite slice of life shows now. Thanks to Cajunator and Thoraxes for forcing me to watch this. <3
Welcome to the wide wagon, All are welcome here.

She breaks Jugo arm not to mention beat the crap out of him.
To be fair she warned him and he chose to fight him, he was trying to cop a feel and he let her wreck his arm in order to do so.

PK Gaming

Log Horizon 9-10

This anime somehow managed to take a bunch mundane concepts (business and economics, legislation and food processing) and presented them in a way that made them interesting. As of now, the plot seems kind of non-standard in its execution, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's no *big* bad, or main quest, but (now) there's definitely a goal to strive for. It's mostly about adventuring and economic advancement, and i'm totally ok with that.

I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

mankoto

Terra Formars is less gruesome than I expected it to be. Although I am interested in how censored it will be and how much they'll overall cover in the anime.

Terra Formars is less gruesome than I expected it to be. Although I am interested in how censored it will be and how much they'll overall cover in the anime.

How many chapters did you read?

Here's info on what it's gonna cover.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2014-07-27/terra-formars-promo-video-introduces-ova-story/.77057

Oh yeah the studio adapting it is apparently Liden Films who are a pretty new studio. They are also doing the Yamada and the Seven Witches OVAs which look pretty good.

Clov

According to Rakuten, Discotek's release of the first Cardcaptor Sakura movie on BD will be out October 28th.

Just one day before my birthday! Can't wait to pick it up. Hoping that the second one gets picked up soon.

Log Horizon 9-10

This anime somehow managed to take a bunch mundane concepts (business and economics, legislation and food processing) and presented them in a way that made them interesting. As of now, the plot seems kind of non-standard in its execution, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. There's no *big* bad, or main quest, but (now) there's definitely a goal to strive for. It's mostly about adventuring and economic advancement, and i'm totally ok with that.

I'm excited to see where it goes from here.

You're currently watching what would be considered the surprise anime of the season for me. Log Horizon transcended that for me though and became my AOTS.

All caught up.

Having the OVAs cover Bug 2 is a smart move. Although that might have been the only way since making the screen pitch black at some scenes just wouldn't work

Yeah the source material is pretty fucked up. And we wouldn't want censors like Tokyo Ghoul's since it pretty much would ruin the atmosphere.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Zankyou no Terror Episode 7:

I have really tried with this show but no amount of technical proficiency is allowing me to actually enjoy this program, another one for the dropped heap.

Well damn, thought nothing could beat the masterpiece that is Sword Art Online.

I enjoy Sword Art Online ironically in a MST3K fashion. I love Log Horizon in every possible way. If I have one complaint about the show is that the character design and animation can be very bland, but besides that everything is grade A solid.

Mononoke

Banned
I enjoy Sword Art Online ironically in a MST3K fashion. I love Log Horizon in every possible way. If I have one complaint about the show is that the character design and animation can be very bland, but besides that everything is grade A solid.

Was just messing around. I don't think SAO is a good anime by any stretch of the imagination. I have no problem with those that like it though (I myself, find elements of it to enjoy). Anyways, your high praise of Log Horizon has convinced me to check it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

Was just messing around. I don't think SAO is a good anime by any stretch of the imagination. I have no problem with those that like it though (I myself, find elements of it to enjoy). Anyways, your high praise of Log Horizon has convinced me to check it out. I've heard a lot of good things about it.

We even got Jexhius here to start promoting the show, and his opinion actually matters to people here! lol

If you're gonna watch it, expect the complete opposite of Korra though. Little action besides an arc in the beginning and end. The show shines in its politics, economics, world building and non-standard lead. Shiroe speaks to me because he's an engineer with what is easily the most clever mind for strategy and plays entirely in the background as he makes his puppets dance. Amazing lead.

Also there's a lot of glasses pushing.
a5W2UmU.gif

Mononoke

Banned
We even got Jexhius here to start promoting the show, and his opinion actually matters to people here! lol

If you're gonna watch it, expect the complete opposite of Korra though. Little action besides an arc in the beginning and end. The show shines in its politics, economics, world building and non-standard lead. Shiroe speaks to me because he's an engineer with what is easily the most clever mind for strategy and plays entirely in the background as he makes his puppets dance. Amazing lead.

Also there's a lot of glasses pushing.
a5W2UmU.gif

lol I'm pretty much game for everything. I watched School Days without knowing anything about it, lmao and I walked away from that. :p Albeit, I've lost faith in the romance genre. But I'm still here. :D

Pooya

Argevollen 8

I'm shocked, I actually enjoyed the fight this time, thanks based Richthofen! Nice knife combat and the action flow decently unlike anything before in this show.

The story seemingly coming together now,
so the experiment that killed his sister is probably connected to argevollen, SHOCK and AWE lolz

This show is bad but might actually become better than Aldnoah now at this point...

mankoto

Have you read the manga for Tokyo Ghoul because it's really good.

Oh yeah forgot to ask how did you think of Terra Formars manga?
Yes. I caught up on that yesterday before I started Terra Formars. I originally stopped when
he got the white hair.
Had to stop again since for whatever reason 2 chapters are missing.

As for Terra Formars, it was interesting to say the least. The concept of
the cockroaches in a sense becoming more human-like as time passes (IE the smart/talented ones have a cloth on their body) whereas the humans have to rely on animalistic strengths
has me grasped. And in some way, it reminds me of Cage of Eden.

lol I'm pretty much game for everything. I watched School Days without knowing anything about it, lmao and I walked away from that. :p Albeit, I've lost faith in the romance genre. But I'm still here. :D

the romance genre honestly shines in classics though. Watch the 'Ef: A Tale of' seasons. Those are considered among the best, outside of Toradora. I mean you could always watch Golden Time from the Toradora author, but why suffer through the annoying plot device?

But if you really want to read good romance with solid comedy and zero drama, which imho is the best romance in manga/anime, go read Ore Monogatari and Horimiya.

Ah, more and more people are discovering the magnificence that is Log Horizon.

The more people to discuss it with us the better, we might even have a chance at an OT!

Fate/Zero 2

Holy hell, Caster!

So this show is going to be super-edgy, I take it?

The good kind of edgy though, the kind that actually takes itself seriously and goes more into philosophy over shock value.

Mononoke

Banned
the romance genre honestly shines in classics though. Watch the 'Ef: A Tale of' seasons. Those are considered among the best, outside of Toradora. I mean you could always watch Golden Time from the Toradora author, but why suffer through the annoying plot device?

But if you really want to read good romance with solid comedy and zero drama, which imho is the best romance in manga/anime, go read Ore Monogatari and Horimiya.

The more people to discuss it with us the better, we might even have a chance at an OT!

The good kind of edgy though, the kind that actually takes itself seriously and goes more into philosophy over shock value.

I saw School Days after I watched all the classic Romance anime lool. I'm again just being facetious. Although I do have to say, I've found romance anime to be a lot more frustrating than other genres (usually the lack of pay off or resolution). Seems to be very common in the genre.

On a more serious note, I guess I've just become burnt out on it. But I've seen all the ones you've mentioned (and yeah, Golden Time had some pretty atrocious things about it). For all the bad, there is something like Nodame Cantabile though. So I'm not 100% out on the genre. Just waiting for something great to come a long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom