• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

santeesioux

Oh and Samurai Champloo, i watched that off and on when it was airing on Adult Swim. Need to sit down and watch it in order, i think it's on Netflix.

Midonin

Momo Kyun Sword 08

The first comparison that comes to mind is Strike Witches S1E7. Hot springs and panties are center stage, and yet, like Rail Wars, the show takes the path of having an episode full of fanservice while not actually showing anything explicit. In some ways, that's more effective. Leaving things up to the imagination is a powerful tool for sexiness.

And that scene of Pheasant and Enki bickering at each other was fun because their VAs were also Chihaya and Azusa in iM@S. Pheasant is way more than a meager 72. The demon was an outcast even among the lesser demons of the island, and as such, a goofy antagonist for a goofy story. Onihime and Momo can get along pretty well during fanservice episodes, it seems.

I know from the old version of the website that Momoko has a
fusion form that uses all three of her animal buddies at once
, so I'm wondering when that's going to show up. Next episode sounds about right.

cajunator

Banned
It was meant to be creepy

True, and indeed a lot of mahou shoujo anime happens to be really creepy at times. I think the nature of the genre, with the mysterious ways girls become magical, the horrible villains they face, sometimes fridge horror, and occasionally even the tragic circumstances that befall them are all things that give off a very creepy vibe to begin with. then they get mindbroken. Such a horrible thing happens to these girls sometimes.
Mahou shoujo is easily one of the most brutal genres of anime.

I got a thing!

ib26dfQvyDU0Xm.jpg

squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
My copy is arriving today along with Kabukimonogatari and Watamote!
I wont be able to get it until tomorrow after work though at the earliest.

Fate/kaleid liner PRISMA ILLYA 2

Well, the action's not too bad, and the humor is starting to hit its stride. Some nice fanservice seeing
Kiritsugu and Irisviel, as well as the Gae Bolg
. I'm guessing this Rider is the one we'll be seeing in Fate/Stay Night? I'm going to miss Iskander.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And now for something completely different!

Cardcaptor Sakura 5

Well, okay, but it has less fanservice!

And now plushies are creepy. Thanks, show!

You know, I don't think a stuffed animals could break through glass, no matter how hard it hit.

Well, that was pretty anticlim...

ixf7xDKJrBrWi.jpg

...I might as well not say anything at all. Thanks Sakura!

ib2BeM5aopFhKo.jpg

Uweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh!
Some of the cards are really creative, or at least were for their time.
Some of them posed quite a seeming threat but it never really truly put Sakura in mortal danger or anything.

Durante

The time has come for me to do my one yearly post in the anime thread!

I just watched Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya and it was absolutely amazing. It had just the right mixture of comedy and drama that you would expect, and really felt like a fitting conclusion to 200+ episodes and literally years of following these characters -- which is an awesome feat I wouldn't have considered possible before. I often feel left out when people talk about the "feels" they get from some anime, or almost any medium really, but this movie actually delivered for me in that regard.

I'm still sad that it really seems to be ending this time, but if it has to, there really is no better way to go.

I just watched Gintama: The Movie: The Final Chapter: Be Forever Yorozuya and it was absolutely amazing. It had just the right mixture of comedy and drama that you would expect, and really felt like a fitting conclusion to 200+ episodes and literally years of following these characters -- which is an awesome feat I wouldn't have considered possible before. I often feel left out when people talk about the "feels" they get from some anime, or almost any medium really, but this movie actually delivered for me in that regard.

I'm still sad that it really seems to be ending this time, but if it has to, there really is no better way to go.

Yep it was amazing. I wrote this very emotional review when I watched it. Nobody cared though. Probably since I waited till way after most had seen it, or maybe none of the big Gintama fans were on at that time.

edit: found it

DEATH™

Just started Rurouni Kenshin, it's a shame there aren't more samurai shows.

You have to stop after 66... The rest are filler arcs that gets old quick...

But yeah... it's a classic... Don't forget to watch the first OVA after...

------------

Guys, I kept up with Gekkan Shojo nozaki kun...

-DAT SLAP BASS

-Lol at Nozaki and Mikoto making that overnight manga/fanfic for that videogame char

-Seo and Waka might be an OTP lol

-Did I say DAT SLAP BASS?

cajunator

Banned

THESE ARE HIGH SCHOOLERS

Now that I am 32, high school seems about right for these characters.
Maybe its just age disparity setting in.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

THESE ARE HIGH SCHOOLERS
ACTUALLY THESE ARE ILLUSTRATIONS

Jex

Make sure you watch Trust and Betrayal afterwards (or really at any time).

And yeah Samurai shows don't really exist. Samurai Champloo is great, Samurai Flamenco has absolutely nothing to do with Samurai but everyone should watch it anyway.

It is slightly odd how few 'samurai', or rather 'chanbara', anime shows there are. You think it'd be a more popular subject for adaptation.

Jex

Gintama certainly doesn't feel like the mind of series that you can possibly put a cap on, as it were, and it really speak volumes to the quality of the movie that they somehow manage to encapsulate the entirety of the work into it.

santeesioux

Afro Samurai is pretty awesome.

Dat Samuel L. Jackson voice

DEATH™;127187984 said:
You have to stop after 66... The rest are filler arcs that gets old quick...

But yeah... it's a classic... Don't forget to watch the first OVA after...

Yeah, i've read you should stop before the filler starts...

Check out Shigurui as well !

I remember watching that show on Netflix, it was.... interesting.

They've joked enough about Gintama being in its final leg in the show itself. I'm pretty sure it's whenever they're getting close to catching up with the anime. It's popular enough, they're probably just giving it some breathing room so they can make another season when there's enough manga material.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
ACTUALLY THESE ARE ILLUSTRATIONS

Better shut the thread down, guys. Can't make fun of an art style because it's not real.

Durante

Yep it was amazing. I wrote this very emotional review when I watched it. Nobody cared though. Probably since I waited till way after most had seen it, or maybe none of the big Gintama fans were on at that time.

edit: found it
It's a great review. I didn't realize it before reading it, but you are probably completely right about the movie having even more of an impact if you watch it a while after the series, remembering it fondly.

review said:
Everything was perfect in the film. And I mean that. Nothing was off. The humor? Amazing. The plot? Incredible. The feels? As good as Gintama has ever brought. The fan service? And I mean fan service as in 'you are a fan, here are the things you love about the property' and not the lewd and despicable ecchi kind? AMAZING. I was laughing, I was crying, I was glued to my screen. The correct words are eluding me to describe just how amazing this is.
This is how I felt watching the final battle scene. It somehow manages to be a fitting culmination of years of stories and getting to know each character. I'm amazed that they pulled this off.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Honestly figured the gun stuff would be a turn off for you the same way the tank stuff was in GuP.

I actually really enjoy the way the show goes out of it way to point out its all fake like every few minutes.

The tank stuff in GUP was just bizarre. Like you had scenes where the girls were almost run over by real tanks and played off as if nothing just happened.

It's a great review. I didn't realize it before reading it, but you are probably completely right about the movie having even more of an impact if you watch it a while after the series, remembering it fondly.

This is how I felt watching the final battle scene. It somehow manages to be a fitting culmination of years of stories and getting to know each character. I'm amazed that they pulled this off.

Oh the final battle scene was everything I have loved about Gintama in one scene. The silliness, the troll twists, the amazing choreography, it was just great. I was crying by the end, not because I was sad but because I was laughing so damn much. Not to mention I was extremely happy. Tears of pure joy. One of my favorite gags of
Shinpachi's glasses fading away and leaving the human behind
made a glorious return that had me in stitches as I fell on the floor laughing. I couldn't believe they brought that back. So many nods for fans. Fan Service: The Movie.

They could end the series here and it'd be completely fine. But I really hope they make a new season.

More people need to see Gintama. The movie was an original anime story right? Did they get any input from the manga author? Because I'm surprised they captured the essence of Gintama so well.

Pretty sure the manga author largely wrote it if not entirely him. It was his thanks for the anime.

Moaradin

More people need to see Gintama. The movie was an original anime story right? Did they get any input from the manga author? Because I'm surprised they captured the essence of Gintama so well.

cajunator

Banned
I actually really enjoy the way the show goes out of it way to point out its all fake like every few minutes.

The tank stuff in GUP was just bizarre. Like you had scenes where the girls were almost run over by real tanks and played off as if nothing just happened.

I kinda loved that about GuP. It was so ridiculous and it just reveled in how absurd it all was.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 16

Super heartwarming episode. No Cards to be captured, just exploring more of the backstory and rainbows for everyone. Even the brief cutaway to Tomoyo was enjoyable, and had a bigger impact on the episode than showcasing her private theater. Nice use of Rain, too. After its debut episode, this is a chance for it to show what it can do when it's not being as mischievous.

cajunator

Banned
Cardcaptor Sakura 16

Super heartwarming episode. No Cards to be captured, just exploring more of the backstory and rainbows for everyone. Even the brief cutaway to Tomoyo was enjoyable, and had a bigger impact on the episode than showcasing her private theater. Nice use of Rain, too. After its debut episode, this is a chance for it to show what it can do when it's not being as mischievous.

Theres an episode coming up where all they really do is pick strawberries and it has the most adorable song ever.

I always complain that we need more grounded in reality seinen-esque anime that isn't slice of life or high school, and the closest I have gotten recently that I can recall at the moment is Zankyou No Terror. Which is an entertaining show, but I wanted so much more. I want The Wire anime.

When you walk through your senpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaai. WAY DOWN IN THE HOLE.

Wait till Gangsta adaption comes out.

Wait till Gangsta adaption comes out.

I've read that. It's not anywhere near what I wanted. Having a moe prostitute is nowhere near what I wanted.

edit: not to mention it still follows anime tropes such as superpowered badasses who are super anime, and form gangs to destroy cities as they look down on a city from a rooftop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom