• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preferably anime, something revered but not popular. (Hidden gem?)

Genre doesn't matter.

Hmmmmm. The thing about anime is that so many films that are popular is that they are also revered. I'll list some non-Miyazaki films I love, tell me if any catch your interest.

Have you watched:
5 Centimerers per Second
Voices of a Distant Star (I think it's in Crunchy)
The Place Promised in our Early Days (this one for sure is in Crunchy I can swear)
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Sword of the Stranger (really popular but you never know)
Vampire Hunter D
The Girl Who Lept Through Time
Jin Roh the Wolf Brigade (highly recommended and chances are some haven't seen it I guess)

cajunator

Banned
Cool I'll check this out.

Watched the first episode of Sabagebu. Meh. Really silly but everything felt off. Will check a couple more episodes but not really interesting so far.

Barakamon might be more fun for you.

I don't know anything about it. lol

---
Meanwhile, finished up what was left of the current Sunrider release:

Yep, it's anime. They also got a Japanese band to do their theme song, so it was a bit of a surprise to hear Japanese lyrics all of a sudden. lol

The art in this looks so terrible and bland :(

I haven't watched any Anime since my childhood days but now my gf and me are really enjoying Barakamon. Anyone got some other recommendations in the same genre?
Preferably funny without any moe or pantie shot stuff, which certainly would get me the eyes :V

Bunny Drop is a good lighthearted show without anything that raises eyebrows.

Anyone got a list of good movies on hand?

Got some days off here and im under the weather.

Millennium Actress!!

cajunator

Banned
I wish I could see more, but due to reasons it seems like anime films don't get licensed much for streaming.

I wish CR would do something about that.

you are correct they dont unfortunately, which is why millennium Actress goes unwatched by many. Its worth buying anyway!

Dilli666

Bunny Drop!

Cromartie High School
Gekkan Shojo Nozaki-kun
Gintama
Moyashimon 1st season
danshi kokousei no nichijou
Tonari no seki-kun

Bunny Drop is a good one if you want the same older man/adorable child dynamic. Little less comedy, little more heartwarming, but very good.

Bunny Drop is a good lighthearted show without anything that raises eyebrows.

Thank you everybody! Will try to watch Bunny Drop with her.
Is Silver Spoon any good?

Thank you everybody! Will try to watch Bunny Drop with her.
Is Silver Spoon any good?

Extremely good, though it's more solid slice of life that teaches you about farming/agribusiness and its economics. It's still extremely funny as much of the humor is similar to FMA, since you know same mangaka.

Acosta

Once again I must praise the good taste of people in this thread. Nozaki-kun is good!

The fist episode was really good, but the second has been really hilarious thanks to the new characters.

Sakura is fantastic, I love how her face express her inner thoughts.

P2gSDFA.jpg

The voice is fantastic and the design of her is really good. The chemistry with Nozaki is also really great, I like their contrast of personalities. And the new characters in the second episode are amazing, especially Seo.

3dYSQ74.jpg

Her part in the second episode had me laughing laud for some minutes. Best girl.

Thoraxes

Texhnolyze 9-10

Well all that punching practice earlier finally paid off.
kruemelmonster9bq1o.gif

This felt more like a climax to the entire show than just the 10th episode out of 22. They finished off the one and probably the two most active characters who carried the show so far. Will be interesting to see where it will go from here as we finally learned something more of the mythology of the world.

Some great music in this episode and the ED has really grown on me.

One thing I will say is that this has relatively tame violence wise, I remember Shigurui being several grades more disturbing.]

If you thought that was a great climax, you ain't seen nothing yet.

And the chart.

Last weekend anime

Sabagebu 8
Weak, barely funny, this is starting to deflate.

Nozaki-kun 8
Not as funny as the previous two episodes, but in the other hand I thought the previous two were great. The direction also didn't convince me, I could notice easily the 4-koma structure that came from the manga in lots of scenes.

Mushishi S2 11-12
Yay more Mushishi. A nice insight into the world of Mushishis, in which some parts are darker than you may believed before. And Ginko's waifu appears. Though I felt it lacked some something at the end, a more definitive narrative climax or some character growth, it all ends as it started.

JoJo S2 21
This was good! I liked the ambient and the direction, they were stronger than usually are in most episodes of JoJo. A slower pace but focused on a single character and his feelings, a look inwards for the character.

Space Dandy S2 08
The artistic visuals are arresting, at times it looked like some European animation film and not a tv episode, they are really going all the way in the second season. I was less convinced by their approach of surrealism for the sake of surrealism in the episode narrative structure, but they fixed it with a poignant end. And the dimension-hopping ability that started in the first episode and teased since appeared again in a more clear way.

Barakamon 8
Bored in the first part about the birthday, but it has a nicer second part with a more intimate but light tone visiting the graveyard in the festival of the dead.

Haikyuu!! 21
Competent shonen sports episode. It's going well.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
For a fan project that managed to get put out on Steam for free with a fun scifi story, I'm willing to forgive.

And unlike a lot of Kickstarters, it actually took less than a year for it to happen. lol

Is HuniePop any closer to releasing? That's going to be a fucking spectacle. ahahaha

cajunator

Banned
It's what's inside that counts!

For a fan project that managed to get put out on Steam for free with a fun scifi story, I'm willing to forgive.

And unlike a lot of Kickstarters, it actually took less than a year for it to happen. lol

yeah. Im not expecting anything I helped kickstart until 2015 t earliest if ever.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is HuniePop any closer to releasing? That's going to be a fucking spectacle. ahahaha
It'll be peak VN, right next to this game:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197667538
Then the floodgates will truly be open!

yeah. Im not expecting anything I helped kickstart until 2015 t earliest if ever.
Still waiting for Broken Age. I want to assume they're still making it!

I hope all the dialog is a colorful as that one scene they posted. I just want to watch the videos that are going to come out from it.
You're such a sluuuuuut!

So what's the story behind the sunrider game?
It's a free VN/SRPG that's on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/
It got 44k on Kickstarter in January and in half a year they put out something playable. Something unheard of with games, it seems. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
my god. it's Deviantart: The Game.
I am looking forward to me Steam key whenever they get on Steam. lol

Huh, alright. It's kinda weird that they released for free though.
I think Steam seems to be open to free fan projects now, because this game made it there a while ago:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283880/

But, the guy promised to release the game as freeware and pretty much delivered on it since he well exceeded his funding goals.

firehawk12

Subete no aware

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Mother of god...
That is the most accurate dialogue for a teenage girl. Usually they are just too polite.
Doesnt make it appealing but yeah the videos should be hilarious.

One year from now, people will be hailing HuniePop as a "deconstruction of moe" or some shit. Bank on it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Encouragement of Climb S1

Well that was short and sweet. Though it didn't really feel like a mountain-climbing anime, more like trail-walking really. Which really confused me because they introduced a tent and a propane cooker early on.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

It'll be peak VN, right next to this game:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=197667538
Then the floodgates will truly be open!

Still waiting for Broken Age. I want to assume they're still making it!

You're such a sluuuuuut!

It's a free VN/SRPG that's on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/313730/
It got 44k on Kickstarter in January and in half a year they put out something playable. Something unheard of with games, it seems. :p

Truly the peak of VN. Move over Saya no Uta and steins;gate, your time is up!

Figures that the anime fan game delivers more results than the pros!

I for one embrace the inevitable furry gender bending future of Steam. If only because it offends so many people. lol

You know, if only the visual is good, then maybe more people will accept it. There will mass converter. Furry will be the norm!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom