• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
untitled-2-640x399gfsi6.jpg

ducrkoll exposed

e:
2oik8o.jpg
lmao

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 1

So if I understand how Haruhi's powers work, it will take 16 to 25 years before the earth is revolving around her and/or Earth's rotation starts moving in the opposite direction. I hope the former happens so that I get to hear an explanation of how the physical laws of the universe have changed so that the Earth revolves around Haruhi (I'm thinking physically here; it may be metaphorical but I'm assuming literal based on her other wish) and yet the universe is still a liveable place.

Branduil

untitled-2-640x399gfsi6.jpg

ducrkoll exposed

e:
2oik8o.jpg
lmao

Pretty sure someone there must be lurking this thread.

Soon West’s life spiraled out of control. He would call in sick for work so that he could re-watch episodes of Sword Art Online and refine his material. He would refuse to go out with his friends when Sword Art Online went live on Crunchyroll so that he could be among the first to tweet about it. West started cosplaying as Sword Art Online protagonist Kirito in his everyday life so that he could method act and get into the character’s head to better mock his behavior — West’s girlfriend later broke up with him when he demanded that she dress like Kirito’s romantic interest, Asuna, whenever she was around him.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Whisper of the Heart:

No wonder Japan's demographics are so fucked up if this is the kind of love story people grew up with.

Whisper of the Heart:

No wonder Japan's demographics are so fucked up if this is the kind of love story people grew up with.

Agreed. I can see why somebody might enjoy it as anything but a romance film. You don't go from
tsundere'ing each other, to kind of interested, to inspire each other but not really dating, to not see each other for extended period of time, to all of a sudden comes back and they agree to get married

firehawk12

Subete no aware
And thank you for reminding me that is out on VOD now. Your praise seems to line up with a good friend of mine who saw it at a film festival many months back. Been looking forward to it all year!
Yeah, I only remembered it because it was mentioned on Slashfilmcast. I'm glad I watched it, although it's probably one of those really divisive films that you'll either love or hate.

I dunno. I cannot imagine anything a whole lot worse than nuTrek.
Both ruin your memory of the original and make you regret wasting years of your life enjoying the franchise.

Yeah. It is confusing.

They are both 'wacky' Student Councils mostly featuring girls. Only one is really lewd though. The other I just remember having lots of 4th wall breakage.
Ichizon is basically more haremey and is more of the classic "one room" comedy that a lot of anime seems to like to use.

If I am thinking of my shows correctly that is the one that
started talking about tampons in the first episode
and I was like... nope I am done with this lol.
What's wrong with tampons???
Besides, you should watch Girl's High if that bothers you. lol

zulux21

What's wrong with tampons???
Besides, you should watch Girl's High if that bothers you. lol

tampon jokes to me feel like the bottom of the barrel type jokes. Every once in a while they can be funny but they are typically a sign that a show is running creatively dry... to have them in the first episode is in general a horrible sign... to be fair I didn't stop watching because of the tampon jokes, they were just the final straw... I hated pretty much everything about the anime before that...

Quasar

Both ruin your memory of the original and make you regret wasting years of your life enjoying the franchise.

Well. I never feel that way. If a terrible sequel/new series/reboot of something I like happens it doesn't impact my liking for the original. It just means I stop paying attention to the new bits.

I don't hate my time spent reading/watching various bits of TMNT just because Bay got his corrupting hands on it for instance.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
tampon jokes to me feel like the bottom of the barrel type jokes. Every once in a while they can be funny but they are typically a sign that a show is running creatively dry... to have them in the first episode is in general a horrible sign... to be fair I didn't stop watching because of the tampon jokes, they were just the final straw... I hated pretty much everything about the anime before that...
The joke was a one off just to point out the fact that all girl's schools aren't the pillow fighting dens of repressed lesbian lust that guys (particularly those watching anime) think they are.

Yakuindomo is one of my favourite shows anyway. Go figure.

Well. I never feel that way. If a terrible sequel/new series/reboot of something I like happens it doesn't impact my liking for the original. It just means I stop paying attention to the new bits.

I don't hate my time spent reading/watching various bits of TMNT just because Bay got his corrupting hands on it for instance.
I know I stopped being a Trek fan after JJTrek. And AO really does dampen any affection I had for E7.

Syrinx

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya S2 2

Yes you can eat cicadas. I've never done it myself, but you can eat them. Cajun has, I'm sure.

I chuckled at Yuki working the part time job, standing still in her frog costume.

I have to object to that statement :p

totally an anime.

I would argue the persona 4 anime is better then the first persona 3 anime we got :p

Persona 4 anime is enjoyable at times and entertaining but otherwise it's mediocre with it's shitty animation. Persona 3 movie adaption on the other hand is clearly superior and there's 4 more coming out too. And the next Movie contains Lotus Juice so yeah P4 anime has nothing on it.

http://youtu.be/19T1EwkqmVk

Lotus juice the bomb.

did not realize my ordinary life was nichijou :p
I still need to sit down and give it another try since I have heard a lot of good... wasn't impressed when I checked out the first ep years ago though.
You're not missing out on anything unless you really have the desire to be befuddled by how many ways someone can botch comedy.

zulux21

The joke was a one off just to point out the fact that all girl's schools aren't the pillow fighting dens of repressed lesbian lust that guys (particularly those watching anime) think they are.

Yakuindomo is one of my favourite shows anyway. Go figure.
fair enough, as I said it was just the final straw for me.... If I hate every single character and pretty much every single line that has been shown on screen at the end of episode one it's very unlikely I will ever want to watch episode two. (don't bother asking me why I hated everything... I can't recall... I just recall greatly disliking both of those series... random guess would be there is either a moe or tsundare character involved in the main cast as both of those can sour me on a show quickly)

You're not missing out on anything unless you really have the desire to be befuddled by how many ways someone can botch comedy.

I tend to get that with most comedies with tsundare/moe characters as the main characters >.>;
To be fair I don't innately hate all tsundare characters... mostly just the violent ones (especially if they are just violent for "comedic effect") and I can deal with moe when it's more about the flustered or just plain adorable type and less about the tripping/clumsy type unfortunately anime now and days seems to love the violent tsundare and has to put some character the trips a lot in there somewhere :/

survivor

Banned
Tamayura: More Aggressive 2-3

I completely forgot about the meaning of the title of the show and when they were explaining the white spots on the pictures I just remembered that was a part of the show. Finding it harder to go through these episodes, feels like the pacing is worse than the previous seasons, maybe I'm becoming more impatient in general. At least now there is a new cast member, maybe will add some interesting dynamics to the mix as Potte finally has a friend who gives a damn about photography. Also her gimmick better not be repeating words while nervous.

Clov

I'm definitely going to give Yakuindomo a watch, since I've heard nothing but good things about it. Have to finish up Violinist of Hamelin first though. I'm also thinking of watching Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory and Windy Tales.

fair enough, as I said it was just the final straw for me.... If I hate every single character and pretty much every single line that has been shown on screen at the end of episode one it's very unlikely I will ever want to watch episode two. (don't bother asking me why I hated everything... I can't recall... I just recall greatly disliking both of those series... random guess would be there is either a moe or tsundare character involved in the main cast as both of those can sour me on a show quickly)

I tend to get that with most comedies with tsundare/moe characters as the main characters >.>;
To be fair I don't innately hate all tsundare characters... mostly just the violent ones (especially if they are just violent for "comedic effect") and I can deal with moe when it's more about the flustered or just plain adorable type and less about the tripping/clumsy type unfortunately anime now and days seems to love the violent tsundare and has to put some character the trips a lot in there somewhere :/
Nichijou fails on a more basic level. It has no sense of how to setup and execute a joke. The writers are aliens that don't understand how human humor works.

Gosick
Fortune Arterial
Seitokai No Ichizon - Student Councils Discretion
My Ordinary Life
Omamori Himari

Hoping these series get licensed. Missed out a couple months ago when the first season BD-box of Seitokai no Ichizon was only about ¥9,000 at Amazon Japan. Oh well, at least I managed to stream all these series within the past year or so through Crunchyroll.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
Nichijou fails on a more basic level. It has no sense of how to setup and execute a joke. The writers are aliens that don't understand how human humor works.
Im just thinking its because some of their jokes are appealing to their fanbase and not us. Take for example the udons on the slide, i did not get the sliding noodle joke and im sure other western viewers didnt.

zulux21

Hoping these series get licensed. Missed out a couple months ago when the first season BD-box of Seitokai no Ichizon was only about ¥9,000 at Amazon Japan. Oh well, at least I managed to stream all these series within the past year or so through Crunchyroll.

to be fair gosick and my ordinary life were both licensed.... (late august 2011)
it was just less than 5 months later(early jan 2012) bandai went under and never released them :(

to be fair we don't know what the details with the license are (or at the very least I never heard anything about them aside from the releases were cancelled), it's quite possible that bandai actually still has the rights to them until their contract expires... at which time another company (such as NisA for my ordinary life and funimation for gosick) could pick them up :/

Quasar

Persona 4 anime is enjoyable at times and entertaining but otherwise it's mediocre with it's shitty animation. Persona 3 movie adaption on the other hand is clearly superior and there's 4 more coming out too. And the next Movie contains Lotus Juice so yeah P4 anime has nothing on it.

Well P4 and P4G looks perfectly fine to me and pretty enjoyable as a non game player. Haven't seen the P3 films though.

to be fair gosick and my ordinary life were both licensed.... (late august 2011)
it was just less than 5 months later(early jan 2012) bandai went under and never released them :(

to be fair we don't know what the details with the license are (or at the very least I never heard anything about them aside from the releases were cancelled), it's quite possible that bandai actually still has the rights to them until their contract expires... at which time another company (such as NisA for my ordinary life and funimation for gosick) could pick them up :/

Yeah, I probably should have stated license rescued for those two series. I too would only assume that Bandai's licenses have not yet expired for those series.

zulux21

Yeah, I probably should have stated license rescued for those two series. I too would only assume that Bandai's licenses have not yet expired for those series.
That's my guess. Gosick was a pretty solid series and likely could do decent numbers for a company like funimation or sentai. My ordinary life on the other hand likely has more of a cult following and the only people who would really get into it are likely sub title only people anyways so a sub only release would make more sense so a company like NisA or sentai makes more sense.

Either way I would love to add gosick to my collection... despite the garbage bones has put out this year (I am hoping next year they focus more on quality instead of quantity like this year) I am still a big fan of Bones and could always use more Bones in my collection.

Soma

Short Peace

iJ2j5USe9WDQv.jpg

Gave this a watch earlier. Not a bad way to kill an hour at all.

Of the four shorts I ended up liking Gambo the best. To me it felt like it utilized its 10 minute lifespan to the fullest. Pacing felt very brisk with not a significant detail left hanging for too long and not a moment felt wasted. The climactic fight scene was pretty brutal too. The whole short in general was a bit more violent than I was expecting yet every action had a good sense of weight and impact. Very simple tale but it feels expertly told and benefits from a really strong art direction and atmosphere.

http://a.pomf.se/citjra.webm

I also liked Farewell to Arms but I think it's mostly the futuristic military angle that gels with me a lot. Really nice display of tactics and a variety of futuristic weaponry that the team uses to take down their opponent. It's really intense. I kinda appreciated the brief moments of comedy too even if it ended up suffering from a slight mood whiplash by the end of it.

Don't get me wrong though, the other two are no slouches either (even the little introductory short was nice too). The art direction for both of them (well Combustible specifically) are rooted in a very traditional "Ukiyo-e" style that actually reminded me a lot of the Mononoke series while I was watching it. Though maybe it's the CG but I didn't feel like it accomplished that style as much as that show did and ended up being pretty distracting at times. Both of them have relatively simple stories to tell too but of the two, I think I liked the understated romantic tragedy that Combustible told better.

All in all, good stuff. I just wish Otomo would work on things a bit more frequently. :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Tamayura: More Aggressive 2-3

I completely forgot about the meaning of the title of the show and when they were explaining the white spots on the pictures I just remembered that was a part of the show. Finding it harder to go through these episodes, feels like the pacing is worse than the previous seasons, maybe I'm becoming more impatient in general. At least now there is a new cast member, maybe will add some interesting dynamics to the mix as Potte finally has a friend who gives a damn about photography. Also her gimmick better not be repeating words while nervous.
It's a shift back to Potte and her personal story, which is a change from the mini-arcs of the previous season. But, SatoJun power is good power!

That's fair. I just like Yakuindomo quite a bit. lol

Nichibros was probably funnier than nichijou, but I still enjoyed nichijou more.
Kobayashi was the best part of Nichibros!

Link Man

Banned
Gosick 1

Released in 2011. Only 480p on Crunchyroll. why

The king of pompadours.

Huh, I'm not sure what to think about this. It has the elements for an interesting show, but it seems kind of half-baked or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom