• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glasslip 7

"PLEASE STAY ATTRACTIVE"

Meanwhile I'm like telling this anime to please stay interesting. What a weird ass episode.

Glasslip 8

Finally, Yanagi the best girl fanservice. I'm just going to walk around naked in my house real slowly. Why would you go running after taking a shower though?

I wonder what these weird visions mean.

Glasslip 9

What the hell. Real smooth Sacchan.

Hiro kun deserves better.

You can delete the text but you cant delete the love bro.

TUSR

Banned
Hehee. Well if you like this portion of Hyouka you will love the Festival part. A lot of people were largely disinterested before then so if you already love it then you will REALLY love it.

Well shit, Im torn between watching 2-4 more episodes tonight or putting it off again. Im absolutely in love with this show.

KyoAni saved anime
before Trigger

Funimation screwed up. Why would you put a recap episode after what happened in the previous episode?? Anyway, this was another incredibly lazy recap with 0% insight.

The only recap episode worth watching is the last one since it got a little bit of new stuff at the end. Don't think it's up on Netflix though.

Edit: Just checked and it's actually on Netflix. Can skip at least the first half of episode 27 and just watch the bit at the end if you want.

Episode 18 is definitely not a recap episode. There is an episode 16.5 which is the recap. Maybe its numbered 18 in order? I hate recap episodes for this reason.

In order it's 18 since there was another recap episode before 8.5 (aka 9 if you number all of them out)

cajunator

Banned
The only recap episode worth watching is the last one since it got a little bit of new stuff at the end. Don't think it's up on Netflix though.

In order it's 18 since there was another recap episode before 8.5 (aka 9 if you number all of them out)

Probably right in terms of official order. However Im going by my dvd set which has the two recap episodes separated in volume 7 along with Chibits.

I have a confession... of sorts... I guess...

I pretended to like Madoka Magica because it was really popular, and I like Magical Girl anime.

But one of my friend had me watch it recently and... I really... I really really really didn't like it. :( It didn't feel like a magical girl anime at all. It was too dark and depressing. And it got worse with every episode. The only part I kind of liked was the beginning and the ending.

I love Magical Girl anime so much. And Madoka Magica took everything I loved in Magical Girl anime and made it awful. I know that it was on purpose. But it's just too depressing and horrible.

It makes me kinda sad that this is the most new and popular Magical Girl anime. And I love Madoka's personality and character design. But it's just... nothing like a Magical Girl anime and has nothing about a Magical Girl anime that I like and love so much. I hope someone makes a new Magical Girl anime soon that is a normal Magical Girl anime, or a "reconstruction", but not a "deconstruction" like Madoka Magica was supposed to be.

But I pretended to like it anyway... I shouldn't have done that...

I pretended to like Madoka Magica because it was really popular, and I like Magical Girl anime.

But one of my friend had me watch it recently and... I really... I really really really didn't like it. :( It didn't feel like a magical girl anime at all. It was too dark and depressing. And it got worse with every episode. The only part I kind of liked was the beginning and the ending.

I love Magical Girl anime so much. And Madoka Magica took everything I loved in Magical Girl anime and made it awful. I know that it was on purpose. But it's just too depressing and horrible.

It makes me kinda sad that this is the most new and popular Magical Girl anime. And I love Madoka's personality and character design. But it's just... nothing like a Magical Girl anime and has nothing about a Magical Girl anime that I like and love so much. I hope someone makes a new Magical Girl anime soon that isn't a normal Magical Girl anime, or a "reconstruction", but not a "deconstruction" like Madoka Magica was supposed to be.

While it's good to be honest, I doubt anyone even remembers you saying that you liked it.

Hugstable

Banned
As soon as I saw your post, I checked it out on amazon and preordered it. And yes you should since it's a pretty good anime.

I already got my new Steins;gate complete Blu Ray pack preordered also even though I already own the series and have watched it multiple times. I love it too much and everyone should watch Steins;gate if they haven't had the chance yet. I love the beginning even though many think it's slow, but once it gets going it never ever lets up.

MetalDeer

I thought Madoka was okay, I honestly wasn't liking it at all until the final few episodes when *Spoilers*
they revealed that Homura was actually travelling back in time over and over again. Gave me a little Steins;Gate vibe.

What's different about the movies? Are they just a retelling of the story like Evangelion Rebuild, or a sequel, or what?

TUSR

Banned
But I thought Madoka got better with every episode?

At least it did for me when I watched it last month, the fabled "wait for episode 3" quote going around really was accurate.

It makes me kinda sad that this is the most new and popular Magical Girl anime. And I love Madoka's personality and character design. But it's just... nothing like a Magical Girl anime and has nothing about a Magical Girl anime that I like and love so much. I hope someone makes a new Magical Girl anime soon that isn't a normal Magical Girl anime, or a "reconstruction", but not a "deconstruction" like Madoka Magica was supposed to be.

I love the story of Madoka Magica, but I understand how you feel here.

I watched Madoka after I finished watching Code Geass for the first time, and I had pretty much the same thoughts as you.

But like it or not, the characters are still magical girls, and I find it fun to imagine them fighting alongside other popular magical girl characters as part of some Super Robot Wars-esque thing. It helps to forget about its depressing atmosphere a bit.

Gosick 17

HfOQ9JJ.jpg

hRrSoUv.jpg

Not gonna win any father of the year awards then.

Lots of magic tricks, a murder to get rid of somebody with competing beliefs and then the floodgates gets opened.

I haven't seen Rebellion, though I'm not sure I want to.

I just saw the original series. I did kind of like the ending. Just because it was so epic.
And I liked the beginning, before all the bad things started happening..

I like uplifting and heartwarming happy anime...

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
lol, I JUST finished up Madoka Magica like 12 hours ago.

I get why you didn't like it, and it's for those exact reasons that I did like it. I went into it expecting what you were hoping for.. a fun but well done magical girl anime. Once it turned by episode 3, then again by around 7-8 and finally again by 10.. while I understand the horror you must have felt, at the same time I appreciated and loved the story and the layers they were building.

I can totally see it being one of the most polarizing anime released in recent years. I've also seen a number of negative reviews swirling around exactly what you disliked.. the psychological torture of the girls, the disregard for human life under just "really? you guys are like that? lame." It is absolutely a horrifying anime with an ending that basically goes with "well... this is probably about the best case scenario you could realistically hope for."

It is not a feel good anime at all. It's an emotional roller coaster that you get to at the end and say "man.. those were some serious drops and loops. but in the end I get it."

I'll skip the first two movies unless anyone says otherwise, but I'm looking at grabbing the third movie asap.

I just saw the original series. I did kind of like the ending. Just because it was so epic.

I don't think you should watch Rebellion, I doubt you'll enjoy it.

Clov

If you like happy and uplifting anime, it's no wonder you didn't like Madoka! I'm a big fan of it, Rebellion included, but if you didn't like the original series you probably wouldn't like Rebellion (past the first hour and a bit).

If you just want cute, fun anime, I can recommend a bunch to you! If you're alright with short episodes, there's Chi's Sweet Home. If you liked the character designs in Madoka, you'd probably like the Hidamari Sketch series! If you just want to get away from Shaft for a bit, you could try another slice of life series; the cutest recent ones I can think of off by heart are Kiniro Mosiac, Is the Order a Rabbit, and Non Non Biyori. Though if you're not really looking for something moe, Barakamon may be something you'd want to watch. It's still airing, but it's a very uplifting series. Of course, if the scars Madoka's left on your heart are deep, you may want to watch a "healing anime", the best two being the Aria series and Tamayura.

I don't know what you've seen and haven't seen, but if you're looking for something to watch, hopefully this helps!

The joke is that Madoka isn't darker than the non monter of the week arcs in Sailor Moon for example.
Madoka didn't invent any of it's key elements.

The selling point was that the tv series basically killed all the fat around so many magical girls shows - SoL, monster of the week arcs etc..

cajunator

Banned
I already got my new Steins;gate complete Blu Ray pack preordered also even though I already own the series and have watched it multiple times. I love it too much and everyone should watch Steins;gate if they haven't had the chance yet. I love the beginning even though many think it's slow, but once it gets going it never ever lets up.

Awezom. But why are you getting the new set if you already own the old ones?

lol, I JUST finished up Madoka Magica like 12 hours ago.

I get why you didn't like it, and it's for those exact reasons that I did like it. I went into it expecting what you were hoping for.. a fun but well done magical girl anime. Once it turned by episode 3, then again by around 7-8 and finally again by 10.. while I understand the horror you must have felt, at the same time I appreciated and loved the story and the layers they were building.

I can totally see it being one of the most polarizing anime released in recent years. I've also seen a number of negative reviews swirling around exactly what you disliked.. the psychological torture of the girls, the disregard for human life under just "really? you guys are like that? lame." It is absolutely a horrifying anime with an ending that basically goes with "well... this is probably about the best case scenario you could realistically hope for."

It is not a feel good anime at all. It's an emotional roller coaster that you get to at the end and say "man.. those were some serious drops and loops. but in the end I get it."

I'll skip the first two movies unless anyone says otherwise, but I'm looking at grabbing the third movie asap.

Yes I would recommend skipping movie 1 and 2 since they are basically just the TV series. Movie 3 is entirely new.

The joke is that Madoka isn't darker than the non monter of the week arcs in Sailor Moon for example.
Madoka didn't invent any of it's key elements.

The selling point was that the tv series basically killed all the fat around so many magical girls shows - SoL, monster of the week arcs etc..

Sailor Moon original series had some incredibly dark moments in it. I was literally shocked the first time I saw it and what happened towards the end. Didnt think a magical girl anime would go that far.

Hugstable

Banned
Awezom. But why are you getting the new set if you already own the old ones?

So I can have both together in one box -____-. Yes I'm that crazy of a Steins;gate fan lol. Plus I can let my brother have my old blu rays if anything. Plus I have hope that if I keep getting Steins;gate stuff that they might do a release for the BluRay Movie that's affordable. It's like 65 on amazon, and I'm sure just as much in other places to import. Then again that's only like 20$ more than what I'm already spending to own the series again on BluRay -_-

Clov

So I can have both together in one box -____-. Yes I'm that crazy of a Steins;gate fan lol. Plus I can let my brother have my old blu rays if anything. Plus I have hope that if I keep getting Steins;gate stuff that they might do a release for the BluRay Movie that's affordable. It's like 65 on amazon, and I'm sure just as much in other places to import. Then again that's only like 20$ more than what I'm already spending to own the series again on BluRay -_-

Funimation recently licensed the movie, so it will be getting a more affordable domestic release.

Midonin

Marimite S3 05 + Final Thoughts

International trips are a great chance to see what's important to the characters. There's a sense of longing for home, but also joy at being with friends. Though it was to Italy instead of England, this final episode of the OVA "season" gave me some strong K-ON! movie vibes. Yumi's way too nice, she didn't even realize she was being set up for a snipe hunt at the start. And the airmail reminded me of some of my own vacations. It's nice to get in touch, but you'll often see the person you're writing it to in person again by the time the mail reaches them.

A pleasant surprise to see Shizuka again, too. On the whole, there's a lot to like about this season. It was bookended by two episodes that deal extensively with how Yumi and Sachiko view each other, and in the middle was the two festivals and the encounters with Hanadera. The cast was expanded, and though no new sisters were chosen, the feel surrounding the cast is completely different from the awkward interactions at the start. Everyone's more sure of themselves, forging their own way forward. I also loved the arrangement of "pastel pure" used for these OVAs. The hour length runtime for each episode also allowed for a more cinematic sense of pacing that didn't need to be broken up by commercials or episodes like the TV series, even if as a whole, it had less screentime than any of the TV series before it.

Only one more season to go. The school festival draws near.

Well, most of Sailor Moon was really uplifting.

I feel like Sailor Moon had a lot of balance of things. There were funny times, and heartwarming times, and sad times, and uplifting times.

But that event was certainly not uplifting. D:

Jex

Does anyone outside of GAF, besides that time at 4chan, care about what we think about anime though?
I'm not particularly fussed whether a theoretical third party cares about the opinions of particular Gaffers. I care about well written thoughts in this field and so I feel they should be preserved and brought to other people's attention.
Someone could make an eye-catching banner to put in the OP that links to the resource. I don't think a mega post like the one you are already working on will get much attention. :\ Personally, big posts like that make my eyes glaze over. Also an external resource would make it easier for other people to update it. A combination of the two could be used.
I basically agree with you. As I said earlier, I was just writing a draft. It's not a finalised post as of yet. Attractive layouts and pretty banners aren't my field of expertise so I hope someone would be kind enough to help put that kind of stuff together

I love Ojamajo Doremi. It's my second favourite Magical Girl anime of all time.

In fact, it might be my second favourite anime of all time. My favourite anime of all time is Fushigiboshi no Futagohime.

Both shows are so uplifting and happy, though.

Gosick 20

Victorique gets forced to solve the biggest case yet. Kujo does some investigation on his own and discovers something about a doppelganger that seems to be connected to this. More interesting is the question why they want this case solved though.

And there's some music in this episode that sounds similar to some in that Sherlock Holmes movie from 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom