• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalDeer

**Potential Future Diary spoilers**

Now I think I'm starting to realize why I don't like the premise Future Diary's plot. While it's still enjoyable to watch if you ignore it, I can't help but think "Why are all of these people so ready and willing to kill each other just because some 'god' came out of nowhere and said 'Yeah so, you can read the future, go kill these other people that can read the future, then you'll become god'?" I understand that most of the diary owners have their fair share of problems (including being obviously insane), but I don't really think that's enough to coerce them to murder.
The only exceptions being a certain yandere individual, and that crazy terrorist chick. At least so far.
I absolutely hated Hunger Games for, generally, the same reasons. I guess stories where some entity tries to toy with peoples' weaknesses and get people to kill each other isn't my thing.

I'll continue watching it, I'm more than halfway through, no point in stopping now. Despite my complaints, I'm still enjoying it, for some reason.

Well shit I didn't know we were getting a new Tenchi. Why's everybody so excited for this after OVA 3 and GXP?

I don't know about you, but I'm not seeing the excitement for a 5 minute episode series that's being made to bring in tourists. I won't completely rule it out yet as a fan of the old series, though Yasuda's designs aren't inspiring much confidence in me.

Hugstable

Banned
**Potential Future Diary spoilers**

Now I think I'm starting to realize why I don't like the premise Future Diary's plot. While it's still enjoyable to watch if you ignore it, I can't help but think "Why are all of these people so ready and willing to kill each other just because some 'god' came out of nowhere and said 'Yeah so, you can read the future, go kill these other people that can read the future, then you'll become god'?" I understand that most of the diary owners have their fair share of problems (including being obviously insane), but I don't really think that's enough to coerce them to murder.
The only exceptions being a certain yandere individual, and that crazy terrorist chick. At least so far.
I absolutely hated Hunger Games for, generally, the same reasons. I guess stories where some entity tries to toy with peoples' weaknesses and get people to kill each other isn't my thing.

I'll continue watching it, I'm more than halfway through, no point in stopping now. Despite my complaints, I'm still enjoying it, for some reason.

That's how I feel about it at times, but it's really fun just to watch the trainwreck happen. The story gets a bit strange and nonsensical near the end though.

Jex

So I think one of the reasons I was starting to get burnt out on watching anime is due to feeling the need to do a writeup after every episode, to share here. So don't be surprised if you see me posting less in here; I'll probably give my impressions on current shows, or shows that I really feel the need to talk about, but if I can't really think of anything interesting to say, I'll probably not say much of anything or just give my impressions when I finish a series.

I don't think anyone should feel like they have to write up impressions for every episode of every anime that they watch. They may do so if they wish but it's not part of the rules of posting here. If you feel like what you've watched is worth writing about, you'll know it because you'll feel compelled to write. Most of the time, however, there's not that much to say about an individual episode of an anime unless it's something like Space Dandy.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Stardust Crusaders 22

So much Tokyo Ghoul censoring. But the OST is so good.
I forgot about that scene, but it may have passed the shit eating for some people.

And that confirms the next Stand is a two parter as well.

Midonin

Invaders 08

Magical girls are probably my favorite genre of anime, and Yurika is my favorite character, so this is the arc I've been waiting for. Looks like they're playing off the "Rainbow" motif and turning her adversaries into an entire group of Green Lantern types. Already a more compelling magic system and protagonist with anti-magic powers than all of Mahouka. (This is where Yuuichi Nakamura shines.) And best of all, this is when the 106 group can start seeing Yurika as more than just a "cosplayer". She's a bona fide magical girl, and that's awesome.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders Episode 22:

Aramaki sure does love scatological humor, that is for damn sure, I have much less of a taste for it personally. Also, retcons, retcons everywhere
as they are working overtime to handwave away what was supposed to be the definitive death of Avadol of India. Indeed I am aware he was supposed to expire back then but he got better due to popular demand.
Anyway, this was still a better episode of Tokyo Ghoul then whatever Tokyo Ghoul mustered up this week and Egypt is within sight.

Midonin

Tokyo ESP 08

The main thing I took from this is that instead of Mickey Mouse, Disney's mascot in this universe is apparently Louise Belcher.

Rail Wars 9
Not exactly a terrible episode but felt empty. Mainly just continuing from last episode. Some drama but not really anymore from last episode.

I'm not particularly fussed whether a theoretical third party cares about the opinions of particular Gaffers. I care about well written thoughts in this field and so I feel they should be preserved and brought to other people's attention.

Agreed. But if we ever decide we care about the opinion of others we need to tackle popular subjects.

A deconstruction of Bleach, and why it is shit

Ranking of Waifus: Not on looks, but on personality and their contribution to society

The history of mecha anime, and why it hasn't been able to get past the same tropes

The fascination of lolis in the industry: a look in the history of the creation and popularization of said characters

Agreed. But if we ever decide we care about the opinion of others we need to tackle popular subjects.

Ranking of Waifus: Not on looks, but on personality and their contribution to society

The history of mecha anime, and why it hasn't been able to get past the same tropes

The fascination of lolis in the industry: a look in the history of the creation and popularization of said characters

That's not nearly clickbaity enough. We need -

10 Reasons why Bleach may not be the best of the Big 3

Just how good is your Waifu? Check our list and find out

Is Aldnoah Zero the best mecha anime since Evangelion?

Oh no, another show about lolis doing x thing is airing

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
11 reasons why YOUR favorite anime is SHIT, SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

That's not nearly clickbaity enough.

Are we going for Kotaku trolling for clicks style?

Why Naruto, Bleach, Hunter x Hunter and other shonen action shows are the cancer of anime

An argument in favor of sexism in anime

Sword Art Online: Best modern anime series, or bestest anime in history?

11 reasons why YOUR favorite anime is SHIT, SHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT

We already do that to our own members, it wouldn't be hard for internet anime fans since their favorite shows are so easy to pick on lol

Jex

The joke is that Madoka isn't darker than the non monter of the week arcs in Sailor Moon for example.
Madoka didn't invent any of it's key elements.

The selling point was that the tv series basically killed all the fat around so many magical girls shows - SoL, monster of the week arcs etc..

If people actually want to see a 'dark' magical girl show they should be watching Vampire Princess Miyu, it's a great show with an amazing soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0hZ3vbjFWY&list=PL75BC068B4D9CCFF5

Huzzah!

Though I'm not sure Yuki can carry a show.

Fear not as Ryoko Asakura is there to drive the plot forward by any means possible.

What do we expect here? Fanfiction quality?

It took a few chapters for Puyo to get a better grasp of the characters and how they fit in this universe, but there's some interested plotlines in there. I wouldn't put it near Tanigawa's best, but it's better than Sigh/Indignation (novels 2/8 respectively). It's worth a watch IMO.

(Disclaimer: due to the immense amount of fanboying over Yuki from both English/Japanese forums, I grew a decent-sized hatred of her character. I still enjoyed this more as it's a different Yuki than the main series and one that has more character to her.)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Gosick 18

Good thing the bomb was shiny.

But... shooting at it? Oh, and Victorique figured out the name of that guy because there's a story about his sister in the newspaper? Ok then.

all i remember about that episode was it had a really awesome animation cut with the train

BluWacky

He's the only man in a house/school/planet full of women. You won't BELIEVE what happens next.

(no, wait, you will. You don't even need to click that one.)

Ranking anime's most datable imoutos.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Anti gravity boobs: the why and how.

Monster girl, or how i learned that interracial love is the best thing that ever grace anime

Schrodinger panties: Is it there or is it not?

edit: holy shit there's an urban dictionary entry for Schrodinger panties! http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Schrödinger's+panties

I love how we're joking about the reality of many anime/game discussion/review sites. Idealistically you want to make a difference and be honor-bound, but once you realize that the alternative makes you relatively bank, then fuck it "top 10 waifus in anime"

Hugstable

Banned
I love how we're joking about the reality of many anime/game discussion/review sites. Idealistically you want to make a difference and be honor-bound, but once you realize that the alternative makes you relatively bank, then fuck it "top 10 waifus in anime"

LOL, they gotta generate them hits somehow!

So...this new Tenchi Muyo is a sequel? I've tried to read something about it and I've mostly found that it will happen because some city needs to incentive tourism? Could that be a problem?

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 28
Really damn good episode. The way it progressively integrated every girl into the house while turning the premise on its head was impressive coupled with a gentle pace that built organically to the little thematic quip by the end. Gotta thank Yamauchi for this one, he always delivers on this series.

More interesting however, was the involvement of Umakoshi as AD. He rarely appears in Doremi, only doing 1 or 2 episodes a season, but for Dokkan he had 4 slotted (1, 28, 40, 51). While watching Naisho I noticed something slightly different about the drawings. Of course they were on average of higher quality thanks to Naisho being a 13 episode OVA instead of a cheaper, 50 episode TV series, but that's not it. After watching a pre-Naisho episode with Umakoshi AD I realize what was missing:
iuL3ATcH0deOM.jpg
iNP7Yfc6lvIVP.jpg
The trademark Umakoshi way of drawing noses wasn't fully developed yet! I checked some eps from previous seasons too, and it was also like this. Now, go 1 year later into Naisho, or even later into the Doremi 16 covers, and we get:
It seems like the little circle he drew for the noses got more and more simplified, with one half omitted entirely and it ended up becoming that distinctive and instantly recognizable curved line. Sometimes he draws it straight like in the left shot, sometimes it's more broken-up like in the two others. In some shots you'll still see the full little oval, or even just a bit of the other half. I really like how it looks with the shading on the other side, it gives otherwise flat faces a bit of a three-dimensional feeling and a lot of character. Later he would go on to make Heartcatch in this same vein. Of course Umakoshi has a huge range as a character designer, so you won't usually find this kind of stylization in something like Mushishi. It's most prominent in Heartcatch and Doremi Naisho, and I feel like this particular quirk came directly from his work on the TV show.

The designs Umakoshi was doing before were comprised of classic 90s semi-realism (Grappler Baki, Berserk) or full-on shoujo (Marmalade Boy, Gokinjyo Monogatari); Doremi's designs are like a cross of his shoujo side, as they have Marmalade Boy's neutral faces ripe for cartoony deformations coupled with Gokinjyo Monogatari's simplified forms and 'mover' propensity. To a large extent Doremi's designs also avoid the shoujo aesthetics of those two and feel more 'kids show'. These designs were definitely Umakoshi's most satisfying at the time, and still remain among his absolute best works.

Gosick 4-5
This exchange student arc was also interesting. I don't really get why they focus on ghost stories so much as a motif. The plot was kind of forced in there that it made what the twist was pretty obvious

Mr.Jeff

Lupin S2 - 112

The first episode in a while where we actually see some significant stakes in this episode. Goemon is captured and tortured by assassins and it's a particularly grim scene in comparison to some of the more recent episodes. It still has the smatterings of humour but this is a really great episode showing the dangers they face as well as the bond between the 3 men,

Additional, Lupin reading the Daily "Baka Aho".

cajunator

Banned

This waifu stuff has been going on for decades though. One reviewer I used to enjoy reading came up with "top ten anime babes of all time"
He had characters like Venus, Ginrei, Ifurita, Lum, Shampoo, and Madoka from Kimagure Orange Road on that list so he knew what he was doing.

Rail Wars! 09

Aoi has scored some major points in this episode not to mention it was actually interesting and pretty informative about trains. I rather enjoyed myself.

cajunator

Banned
OH WOW. That old site I was talking about is still up!
http://www.therossman.com/top10babes/runnersup.html

I love Ojamajo Doremi. It's my second favourite Magical Girl anime of all time.

In fact, it might be my second favourite anime of all time. My favourite anime of all time is Fushigiboshi no Futagohime.

Both shows are so uplifting and happy, though.

I havent seen Ojasmajo yet. IVe seen plenty enough of Fushigiboshi no Futago Hime to know it is diabetes causing teeth rotting sweet cuteness. The little lion princess is adorable beyond all belief.

He's the only man in a house/school/planet full of women. You won't BELIEVE what happens next.

(no, wait, you will. You don't even need to click that one.)

This amusing trope has played out in a surprisingly large number of series.

Fist of the North Star 2

Fist-of-the-North-Star-2-Title.png

Just why...
it starts of good, but there is a drastic change to the plot somewhere once the setting is taken to a new island across the sea. Here the story progression falls of a cliff. Kenshiro is jesus and kills everyone, new characters are introduced (sigh, Raoh had another brother?), who happens to be the main villain and is as power hungry as him? What, they couldn't even invent a new bad guy? As annoying is the constant explanation of everyone's past, and how literally everyone and their dog are seemingly related to each other. It even goes back 2000 years back and tries to relate it to the current situation. The main force driving both the protagonist and antagonist is "love", or the lack of it, and Kenshiro repeatedly has to reiterate the advantages of it, terrible. They ruined the Kenshiro character, he never talked much, here he is giving lengthy life lessons.

The few boss fights were as usual, awesome, as is the music. Overall it was disappointing because it goes to shit in the 2nd half. It was good until the first Rasho fight.

Joe Molotov

Yes! Precure 5 28

Dawww, that's sweet, but OH GOD, this NozomixNuts and KomachixNuts romantic subplot is still going on....whyyyyy? I mean, I get that they can turn into bishie guys, but knowing what they truly are, you're going to get into a relationship with that?? Poor Karen is getting NTR'd by a fucking chipmunk.

This shit ain't right. You girls need to find Jesus.
Rk13jdS.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom