• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Omamori Himari 01

Well that was about as standard early 2000's era harem anime opening episode as there is possible. On the bright side of things, it has catgirls and mofuwa in it. But the art, the music, the plot, its all paint by numbers harem stuff so far. With a bit of a supernatural bend of course.

Gosick 21

wVJLYbA.jpg

qgApg3q.jpg

A tale of secret love, a murder, a murder to cover up a murder and almost as many doppelgangers and various other people that look alike as The Prestige.

Yes! Precure 5 28

Dawww, that's sweet, but OH GOD, this NozomixNuts and KomachixNuts romantic subplot is still going on....whyyyyy? I mean, I get that they can turn into bishie guys, but knowing what they truly are, you're going to get into a relationship with that?? Poor Karen is getting NTR'd by a fucking chipmunk.

This shit ain't right. You girls need to find Jesus.
Rk13jdS.png
This sh*t right there is the reason why yes precure is the shittiest precure show. He has a lot of flaws , but goddamit this romantic sub-plot can Die in a fire fuelled by my RAGE

Agreed. But if we ever decide we care about the opinion of others we need to tackle popular subjects.

A deconstruction of Bleach, and why it is shit

You don't need to deconstruct bleach to know that it's shit. ( aside from his soundtrack )
Ranking of Waifus: Not on looks, but on personality and their contribution to society
I'm up to the task if needed
The history of mecha anime, and why it hasn't been able to get past the same tropes
seem like the most logical one of the 4 ... could be cool if done seriously.

The fascination of lolis in the industry: a look in the history of the creation and popularization of said characters
I'd argue that the problem was there when there was too much tentacles.

That's not nearly clickbaity enough. We need -

10 Reasons why Bleach may not be the best of the Big 3
It's not even in the big 3
Just how good is your Waifu? Check our list and find out
Now that's a nice clickbait... like a bear attracted to honey !
Is Aldnoah Zero the best mecha anime since Evangelion?
I ...should start aldnoah zero it seems ... but did everyone forgot about capTAIN EARTH ?
Oh no, another show about lolis doing x thing is airing

Loli or moe ? pick your poison !

Jex

[Stardust Crusaders] - 22

Wow, the mood shifts in this series are truly something else. I don't think the direction this episode was particularly effective but I did enjoy all the characters reaction faces.

The representation of the women, on the other hand, was about as bad as the show has ever gotten.

mankoto

HeartCatch Precure Movie + Final thoughts

Great movie through and through. Wish it was a bit longer though and didn't feel like one long episode.
---

The quality of the episodes varied quite a bit in the show. All of the plot focuses ones were great. But, the monster of the week ones were either okay or I just didn't care for it. There were only 3 or 4 episodes I really liked out of them. I will say though, the series definitely got better as time passed and some of the best final episodes I've seen in a while.

The characters themselves were also great, heroines and villains alike. I must say though, Erika is just a wrecking ball made out of fun. I mean really, she's just so loud but somehow not annoying. I was honestly surprised at the amount of character development too. Action-wise or just simple growth.

Overall regarding the series, there were some inconsistencies where it broke its own rules, but, some episodes were good enough for the rule breaking to not matter. That being said, I'm honestly surprised as to how good it was. Not saying I expected it or be bad, but I just didn't expect to be this captivated.

Link Man

Banned
So, finally found some time to watch this.

Hanamonogatari: Suruga Devil

ibdhQEaYK13Kd5.jpg

So I guess "he" was crossdressing last season?

Hmm, don't think bikes work like that.

lol, the mere mention of Ararararararagi's name sends all the girls a-twitter.

Hmm, this girl has her leg all bandaged up. And calls herself a devil. Seems familiar.

:O

Just who is this "guy"? He's a boy "now"?

:D

Now with a beard!

Fuck, now I'm hungry.

So we have a "collector" collecting all the parts of the devil, and we learn about it after
Kanbaru loses her devil's arm
. I have an idea where this is going, I think.

Yep.

Okay, the movement in this basketball game seems really off.

Wow, it's getting pretty :SDBurton in here.

Whoa. This just got a whole lot more interesting, thanks to Karen.
No, no toothbrushes.

Dat ahoge!

Must...not...post...FotNS image...

Well, that wrapped up nicely.

...goddamit, Araragu.

ibgNulx76VdWca.jpg

Nyoro~n

Well, that was really fun. This series really excels at character studies, and this arc was no slouch in that department. Add in some nice cameos, and it was a really nice arc (though it would have been a bit more easily digestible if it was split into episodes rather than one large chunk, it can be a bit exhausting to watch the whole thing in one go).

Rokujouma no shinryakusha - 08

When it comes to magical girls , there is ONE rule that is above everything else , it's "friendship is above all".

So , Magical girl Rainbow Yurika, i must say :

"You did well ."

Now that being said , i hate cliffangers, especially those like this and i reallly like the show so far with each arc.
I hope that the next arc won't follow the format of " rivals appears, use underhanded methods to win , get his ass kicked"

Bonus gif , because she deserve it:

cajunator

Banned
Rokujouma no shinryakusha - 08

When it comes to magical girls , there is ONE rule that is above everything else , it's "friendship is above all".

So , Magical girl Rainbow Yurika, i must say :

"You did well ."

Now that being said , i hate cliffangers, especially those like this and i reallly like the show so far with each arc.
I hope that the next arc won't follow the format of " rivals appears, use underhanded methods to win , get his ass kicked"

Bonus gif , because she deserve it:

Oh. This is that other show I was thinking of.
Does this show have a common english title?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 28
Really damn good episode. The way it progressively integrated every girl into the house while turning the premise on its head was impressive coupled with a gentle pace that built organically to the little thematic quip by the end. Gotta thank Yamauchi for this one, he always delivers on this series.

More interesting however, was the involvement of Umakoshi as AD. He rarely appears in Doremi, only doing 1 or 2 episodes a season, but for Dokkan he had 4 slotted (1, 28, 40, 51). While watching Naisho I noticed something slightly different about the drawings. Of course they were on average of higher quality thanks to Naisho being a 13 episode OVA instead of a cheaper, 50 episode TV series, but that's not it. After watching a pre-Naisho episode with Umakoshi AD I realize what was missing:

The trademark Umakoshi way of drawing noses wasn't fully developed yet! I checked some eps from previous seasons too, and it was also like this. Now, go 1 year later into Naisho, or even later into the Doremi 16 covers, and we get:

It seems like the little circle he drew for the noses got more and more simplified, with one half omitted entirely and it ended up becoming that distinctive and instantly recognizable curved line. Sometimes he draws it straight like in the left shot, sometimes it's more broken-up like in the two others. In some shots you'll still see the full little oval, or even just a bit of the other half. I really like how it looks with the shading on the other side, it gives otherwise flat faces a bit of a three-dimensional feeling and a lot of character. Later he would go on to make Heartcatch in this same vein. Of course Umakoshi has a huge range as a character designer, so you won't usually find this kind of stylization in something like Mushishi. It's most prominent in Heartcatch and Doremi Naisho, and I feel like this particular quirk came directly from his work on the TV show.

The designs Umakoshi was doing before were comprised of classic 90s semi-realism (Grappler Baki, Berserk) or full-on shoujo (Marmalade Boy, Gokinjyo Monogatari); Doremi's designs are like a cross of his shoujo side, as they have Marmalade Boy's neutral faces ripe for cartoony deformations coupled with Gokinjyo Monogatari's simplified forms and 'mover' propensity. To a large extent Doremi's designs also avoid the shoujo aesthetics of those two and feel more 'kids show'. These designs were definitely Umakoshi's most satisfying at the time, and still remain among his absolute best works.

So, basically...Umakoshi da gawd!
After your review of Na-i-sho 13, I rewatched it and the reaction faces are something else, so good, but I would never get this little detail about the noses. Thanks.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 19

Move sounds like a pretty limited use card, but I said the same thing about Flower. Sakura's clever enough that she can find a situation where all of these are necessary. The key point of that skirmish was that her magic power is increasing. I like the new animation for the Kero segment, and I know that Meiling is an anime original character (and one of Yukana's earlier roles.) She's very... energetic. I enjoyed the summertime stretch of episodes, some of the most peaceful in this already peaceful show.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
so I spent most of my birthday in my room on the computer. Kind of sad.

sorry to hear that man. If it helps I used to want to have a big thing for my birthday party, but now I'm much more likely to go out with like 3-5 of my closest friends, go have dinner and maybe go to a bar if we feel like it. Nothing extravagant.

Nozaki-Kun - 7

I legit thought they were going to
have an actual heartwarming moment with Nozaki and Sakura this time.

NOPE. "I made too much food".

They really got me with that fade-to-black, lol.

jbug617

Banned
Love Stage 8

I didn't expect that they would do
Izumi's debut conference this early. I wonder where they will go with this maybe his first role without Ryouma.

Branduil

So it turns out that pulling together online resources covering anime isn't that hard. What is proving difficult is digging up old, good reviews of anime that aren't my own (I tend to save links to my larger posts).

I know that plenty of people have written great stuff but I just can't find it all (mainly because I've forgotten who wrote what when). So, don't be shy, just send me links to your own stuff and I'll look to include it! The same is true if you happen to remember anyone else's posts.

I suppose the fact that this is such hard work just illustrates the need to collate and save these kinds of posts because otherwise they just go missing. So far I have:

Patlabor by Jexhius

Giant Robo - by Jexhius

The Big O: Thoughts and analysis by CorvoSol

Pupipo! by hosannainexcelsis

Gundam Build Fighters: Episode 21: Amid the Glittering Particles by CorvoSol

Log Horizon by Jexhius

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade by Typographenia

Ninja Scroll by Typographenia

The History of AnimeGAF
by Nafe

Angel's Egg by icarus-deadelus

I don't know if I'll even be able to find all of my own posts. Well, I did write about Giovanni's Island last week:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=126681524&postcount=13462

I guess my tumblr has a couple things on Rozen Maiden and Hanasaku Iroha:

http://branduil.tumblr.com/

Hugstable

Banned
so I spent most of my birthday in my room on the computer. Kind of sad.

I've kinda stopped counting my birthdays at this point (26) but I know that feeling sometimes :(. My last birthday I just stayed at home and ended up watching TV since my PC was broken during that time as well. Cheer up though, there's always stuff to look forward too! :D.

I really need to write my impressions for this Endless 8 soon, I've only watched 2 episodes of it, but I don't think I can deal with any more of this in Haruhi. I really like the show, and I think it's really funny that they pulled this off after 4 years of waiting.

I really need to write my impressions for this Endless 8 soon, I've only watched 2 episodes of it, but I don't think I can deal with any more of this in Haruhi. I really like the show, and I think it's really funny that they pulled this off after 4 years of waiting.

Watch the last 2 of the 8 at least before you end.

At least recognizing its my birthday now. Just a bit of acknowledgement makes me happy

Happy birthday!

Secret Anime - 3

Wow. Three episodes in and already a fanservice beach episode! Come on show, I know another magical girl show that at least waited until episode 5!

And holy crap, the animation on those Seagulls was so lazy. They were literally just floating in the sky wiggling back and forth. No gliding, no flapping, nothing.

I hope I see the main girl use these powers in some kind of battle soon. So far these powers have been nothing but a lame excuse for a deus ex machina.

Major hint (not decoded this time just for you): When this show was first aired, it aired alongside a certain other magical girl show that went on to become pretty popular. It makes me understand why I haven't heard much about the one I'm watching prior to watching it.

Chobits Ep. 21

i5XIkjCms7cvd.gif

Ueda's persocom after being hit by that truck. The broken speech was too much.
If I didn't know better, I'd think this was a subtle satire. It's amazing how straight faced this show can be and oblivious to how ridiculous Ueda's story is.

Midonin

Secret Anime - 3

Wow. Three episodes in and already a fanservice beach episode! Come on show, I know another magical girl show that at least waited until episode 5!

And holy crap, the animation on those Seagulls was so lazy. They were literally just floating in the sky wiggling back and forth. No gliding, no flapping, nothing.

I hope I see the main girl use these powers in some kind of battle soon. So far these powers have been nothing but a lame excuse for a deus ex machina.

Major hint (not decoded this time just for you): When this show was first aired, it aired alongside a certain other magical girl show that went on to become pretty popular. It makes me understand why I haven't heard much about the one I'm watching prior to watching it.

Ryuusei Sentai Musumet

I know because it's on my backlog and I already have it penciled in. It aired alongside Nanoha, also in the fall of 2004.

Midonin

Nope! That show's 13 episodes!
It fulfilled the requirement of a beach episode at episode 3, so I thought I was close.

(I'm still watching it, but I'll try again.)

Edit: I'll get you next time, Gadget. Next time. Now I know exactly what it is. Don't underestimate me when it comes to magical girls.

cajunator

Banned
So according to someone on twitter Im not supporting anime because I dont buy all japanese original releases.
this reeks of elitist bullshit to me really.

Happy birthday!

Secret Anime - 3

Uta Kata?

Future Card Buddyfight Episode 34 (engDub)

Glorified clipshow wasnt too bad due to the moments shown being all of the best episodes these past few weeks. I hadnt realized we went through so many after the ABC cup. Best moments were all with Ryouga who came across not as bad as the plot was trying to make him. He could still smile, have a good time, and even want to be friends. Too bad the clips skipped it.

I think it is building up to be a more than 50 episode show, all the new disaster force folks introduced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom