• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syrinx

I can't quite recall but I think the singing is either not necessarily a requirement for all Undines or it's something unique to Orange Planet.

Either way, great episode.

IIRC, in the second episode (the one where Akira is introduced), Akira scolds Aika for slacking off in her room and said that if she's not out practicing she should be working on her singing or something.

Sword Art Online II: 09

EY3IPpa.jpg

Jedi Knight Kirito convinces Sinon to help him take care of Death Gun. Of course as soon as they split up,
Sinon gets shot with a paralyzing dart, incapacitating her as Death Gun points his, uh, Death Gun at her
, leading to a very predictable cliffhanger.

I'm thinking of it, but I'm going to wait for reviews. I can't really bring myself to trust Anchor Bay/Manga Entertainment. I remember reading a nasty rumor that the release is only going to have stereo for the Japanese track, and only English SDH subtitles. I really hope that's not true.
WTF Fuck them if that is true. (Presumably Bandai Visual is to blame as well.)

Clov

Even more reason to wait. Thanks for the info.

No problem!

WTF Fuck them if that is true. (Presumably Bandai Visual is to blame as well.)

They might be, but I'm not sure. If I'm remembering right, Manga was a production partner on the film, so I'd assume they could do whatever they want with it in North America and the UK. Personally I'd blame them more than anything. It might not be true, though. This is where I found the information: http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?33315-Ghost-in-the-Shell-%2825th-Anniversary-Edition%29&highlight=ghost+shell

It's best to wait and see if this is a proper release at last.

Midonin

M3 20

So Aoshi finally passed away
, and the invasion is only getting worse. This show may not give me a whole lot that I want to talk about, but I'm glad I stuck with it now that it's shown its true colors.

Joe Molotov

Yes! Precure 5: Great Miraculous Adventure in the Mirror Kingdom!

Dark Precure!

P0Xnz67.gif

Ha, it's funny that I just happened to watch this right after HapCha 30, with Dark Lovely.This movie had some pretty good fight scenes against the Dark Cures. Disappointing that the final boss fight was just Dream using her Crystal Shoot to blow him away with one hit. Uhh...that was a guy, wasn't it? For most of the movie I thought that it was a woman with some wicked abs, but they said "he" at the end.

But it was great that they finally collected all the Pinkies, now they can restore the Palmier Kingdom!!...oh wait, let's just pretend like that never happened.

Sabagebu! 9

GHCcmJ7.png

efCRMx3.png

The first 2 parts were alright, but the last one was great. The part with the old lady flying through the air was just the best. Good episode, and Momoka is back to being selfish, evil person.

Jex

It shouldn't be much worse than the Japanese Blu-ray transfer. I was just looking into it and apparently a new/different transfer aired on Japanese TV that was better than the Blu-ray. o_O

TV
Blu-ray

The color timing is really different, for one. Paging Risette.

Oh wait what? What is going on! The TV looks better, to my untrained and ignorant eye.

Midonin

Hooray!

Though it looks like it's only the first season, but this means when Akari's tenure begins in a few weeks, I may be able to watch that legally.

(Also, I just found out PriPara has 38 episodes total. Boo, but this is an ongoing franchise, so that may not be the end of the story.)

Midonin

Hanayamata 09

Sally and Machi's story hit the same sweet spot that the rest of this show has. Dramatic, but ultimately heartwarming. It's a little late in the show, but Machi finally join the yosakoi club. I look forward to seeing her dancing. Not even Naru's tumble during the performance can keep her down for long, and Hana/Hannah knows that a little bump on the forehead is nothing to fret over. This show needs a second season as soon as possible.

Blue Spring Ride 09

I like the newer, more confident Futaba. She was cute even when she was kinda slobby, but confidence is a makeover-worthy thing itself. Not that the love triangle has completely dissipated, it's still there around the edges, but not in a way that Futaba would spend an episode mulling over it. I think.

Jex

I don't know what's going on either. :(

Some more comparisons I found.
TV 1 2 3
BD 1 2 3
Hmm. The TV shots look slightly more detailed, and there's actually more in the frame e.g. some stuff is cut off the edge of the shots in the BD. However, it looks like the colour has been messed with.

Weirrrrrd.

Jex

Ghost in the Shell has suffered for too long due to bad releases. Why can't they just get it right!

Ghost in the Shell has suffered for too long due to bad releases. Why can't they just get it right!
And Oshii has let it happen. :( To be fair, it's not like big American directors like James Cameron haven't let (or couldn't stop) shoddy transfers get released like the original release of The Terminator on Blu-ray.

Now I have to wonder if the Patlabor movies also had suspect transfers. Shit. Probably everything released by Bandai Visual around that time needs to be examined. Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise was released that year (2007) too.

Clov

And Oshii has let it happen. :( To be fair, it's not like big American directors like James Cameron haven't let (or couldn't stop) shoddy transfers get released like the original release of The Terminator on Blu-ray.

Now I have to wonder if the Patlabor movies also had suspect transfers. Shit. Probably everything released by Bandai Visual around that time needs to be examined. Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honnêamise was released that year (2007) too.

I've only heard poor impressions of the GitS BD out of all of those. I haven't seen the BD versions of those other films, but I haven't heard a lot of bad things about Bandai Visual's BDs of older films in general. The only BD I own from them is Akira, which looks pretty great. I've seen their BD of Jin-Roh as well, and it also looks very good (though it has some weird borders for some reason. Thankfully those will be fixed for the North American re-release this year).

Midonin

Ikkitousen Xtreme Xecutor 07-09

What the sacred beads can do seems to have expanded significantly this season. Not only is Hakufu a few steps away from being a waterbender, they can also be used a dowsing rod and a dream-based communication device. I don't like having Ryuubi out for the season. Her nature was always a good foil for everyone else (and she created plenty of yuri moments with Kanu.) As a whole, this season feels the most serialized, though that may have to do with everything beyond the first three episodes taking place on the island. Hakufu and Bachou's Rider Kick moment was pretty sweet, and the reveal of who Kentei is, while it ties to back to my favorite season, feels like it needs some more explanation. And that horse plan was almost Looney Tunes in its execution. Figures, for something thought up by two characters with fighting on their brains.

Mature

Maria the Virgin Witch anime (manga by same guy who made Moyashimon) staff was posted on twitter

Director: Taniguchi Goro
Script: Hideyuki Kurata
Character Design: Yuriko Chiba
Studio: Production IG
Website

Starts airing in January I believe.

Doesn't look too inspiring, but who knows I never read the manga. Although the description for it doesn't make it out to be anything special.
This interests me. Seeing another new Kurata show pop up reminds me I gotta watch Samurai Flamenco.

zulux21

one piece 3d2y special

I liked aspects of this special, but in general felt like it was just a huge waste of time... The villain was rather boring personality/motivation wise, and the overall story was way to much POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!!!!! which I know isn't uncommon in a shonen show but at least one piece usually gives reasons for suddenly making luffy able to handle the big bad guy beyond power of friendship.

Overall if you are a huge one piece fan and really need to have more it would be an ok watch, but beyond that I would just skip it. the special was way over hyped (as being important in regards to what happened during the time jump) and nothing of real importance was actually covered.

I've only heard poor impressions of the GitS BD out of all of those. I haven't seen the BD versions of those other films, but I haven't heard a lot of bad things about Bandai Visual's BDs of older films in general. The only BD I own from them is Akira, which looks pretty great. I've seen their BD of Jin-Roh as well, and it also looks very good (though it has some weird borders for some reason. Thankfully those will be fixed for the North American re-release this year).
The other films released around that time might still look good, but this raises (to me) whether they looked as good as they could have.

Akame Ga Kill 9

I'm surprised so many people are surprised by this twist... okay I didn't expect Esdeath to
suddenly slap a collar on him and publicly announce you're my sex slave/lover
but for the moment she appeared on screen saying she wanted to fall in love it was obvious she was going to fall for Tatsumi.

Overall though a pretty good episode, I really don't see Wave fitting in with the bad guys at all, I feel like he's a character who'll end up leaving the Jeagers for Night Raid...and then die while attempting to leave.

Kill the Temptation indeed for next episode gawd damn

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png
lLGKsTS.png

Re: Hamatora Episode 9 – Symphony in the Moonlight
BweejvpIUAE-06S.png

The play was the best part especially the offerings to Kaguya. I like the light hearted moments of the episodes just as much as the really serious moments, helps to keep it balanced and fairly light while carrying a few really powerful themes. I wonder how it can resolve in three episodes with more plot threads opening.
like poor Birthdays resurgence :(

Blade Dance 8
Filling in the weekly requirement for terrible, has the cooler villain go down in a cheap way as well as not explain why Fianna got her powers back

M3 the dark metal Episode 20

Powerful episode. The whole time in the hospital was something to be on the edge of the seat. Though I wonder if the writer is going to make this a sad ending type anime. I can only think of more sad events for this anime than happy ones. But something about it keeps me hooked. Perhaps its Akaashi.
BwemLBEIMAA_zJg.png

Kasane didnt have to go there to the hospital, though we did get one cool Akaashi Aoshi resonance link that was incredible for jumping

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 04
I don't know how this is connected to the previous episode other than sharing characters who are now a hundred years older. The costume design in this anime is ridiculous. Battle witches fight in bras and garterbelts it seems.

I've read the LN, and let me say this. Stop. Watching. It.

I'm a frequent LN reader yet i haven't read blade dance but i feel something is "off" when watching the anime . Is the anime pacing too fast ? do they skip events ? It honnestly feel like a VERY bad adaptation.

Can you confirm ?

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon 33

It's Sailor Fake.

So the Dark Kingdom guys finally comes up with a pretty good plan. Too bad for them Sailor Venus and Artemis shows up and spoils their plans. And the Sailor Guardians team is finally complete.

My favorite senshi finally showed up. Now the original team is complete. Didnt they cut this or an episode around there off the original DiC broadcast?

Fate/Kaleid 1

No. So many of my No's. Is this comedy? I can't tell what the fuck is going on. What have I done? WHAT IS THIS?!

Fate/Magical Squee Things.

Ooooh
Maybe one day I can see Kira Pata Shining. But thats a long way off. At least I could see what Aoi is like. Heard good things about her.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 04
I don't know how this is connected to the previous episode other than sharing characters who are now a hundred years older. The costume design in this anime is ridiculous. Battle witches fight in bras and garterbelts it seems.

The problem with Yami to Boshi (and what makes it amazing) is that its supposed to be taking place in the pages of different storybooks, with the girls ending up in a different book every episode. Its so terribly written though that this is all completely confusing and hard to tell when it transitions, outside of the episode count. Its such a glorious clusterfuck of bad ideas. Truly awesome to behold.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm a frequent LN reader yet i haven't read blade dance but i feel something is "off" when watching the anime . Is the anime pacing too fast ? do they skip events ? It honnestly feel like a VERY bad adaptation.

Can you confirm ?

I can't really recall. But from what I remember it's following the LN pretty good. The pace is probably good (4 episodes for each LN volume). It does seem they changes thing but it was nothing important. This episode ended exactly where volume 2 ends

I just found it more =/ at the story went on..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom