• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 03

iOBVfI1.png

Does Mike keep giving me anime with animal abuse?

For a piece of literature to be entertaining and engaging you need to have a coherent story, likable characters, an interesting setting or backdrop and and some conflict that pushes the story forward. Yamibo has none of this.

I know none of the characters names by the end of three episodes and have to look them up while writing this. The story sequences seem to be attempting something similar to Baccano! by telling different parts of the story in a non chronological order. However in Baccano! we can link these stories together with shared characters and plot devices so that it all comes together to make some sense by the end of each episode. Yamibo fails to do this and it is a constant struggle trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

I wish I could forget what I have started. This is boring and uninteresting with no sight of it getting any better.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Well of course watching foreign media makes you intellectually superior. That's not even an anime fandom exclusive thought. Ask anyone into the world of high culture and they'll tell you it is just so.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Mondays: Sailor Moon Episode 34

So that is where Mass Effect got the idea for the endless elevator. Anyway, this episode is a direct continuation from last time and this is Sailor Moon at its finest. As the stakes have been suitably upped to lure the injured Tuxedo Mask into surrendering his portion of the Rainbow Crystals so that this arc can conclude and we can move on with the story. Usagi unwittingly gets caught up in these machinations that eventually lead to some true revelations both known to the audience and at the time of release unknown.

I would imagine that it is pretty common knowledge that Sailor Moon is indeed also the Moon Princess Serenity these days, though for the sake of safety I shall keep this under spoiler tags. Anyway, that is the truth bomb dropped on everybody, even the audience. Both Mamoru and Usagi learn the duality of the other and I have to give kudos for handling it without contrivance. I also liked the little touch of Zoicite flat out outing Mamoru and he just shows off a titanium rose.

More kudos are deserved for building up Kunzite and Zoicite as actually credible threats to the Sailor Scouts and they are having a shockingly epic showdown thus far. More on this later as, well, I have opinions about things done later down the line. The big problem with this episode nay this mini-arc is it is proving to be the absolute worst time for Sailor Venus to join because she is immediately out of focus along with the other scouts as the heavy plot stuff has to be taken care of. Moreover, her being a minor catalyst for a couple of events during these past two episodes lacks an uniqueness, as you could have taken any of the scouts in her stead and have the same result. Basically, Minako should have been added before or after the heavy stuff and whomever thought this was a good idea deserves several punches to the face. That aside, this was not only the best episode since the end of the Nephrite arc, but one of the best episodes overall of season one, highest recommendations all around.

cajunator

Banned
Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito 02

Makes about as much sense as Baccano!

Yeah pretty much lol

For a piece of literature to be entertaining and engaging you need to have a coherent story, likable characters, an interesting setting or backdrop and and some conflict that pushes the story forward. Yamibo has none of this.

I know none of the characters names by the end of three episodes and have to look them up while writing this. The story sequences seem to be attempting something similar to Baccano! by telling different parts of the story in a non chronological order. However in Baccano! we can link these stories together with shared characters and plot devices so that it all comes together to make some sense by the end of each episode. Yamibo fails to do this and it is a constant struggle trying to figure out what the hell is going on.

I wish I could forget what I have started. This is boring and uninteresting with no sight of it getting any better.

It does eventually go somewhere, but you might or might not like it.
Heres a hint, it has to do with MadP's twitter name.

Herobank Episode 22 - Final Round! Gold vs Dominion

Hate predictable outcomes when it involves my favorite character
as an antagonist
First Nagare fight v Kaito was much better than this.

I dont know where the Money Ghost plot goes from here, they didnt seem to provide any hints which is weird.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 50
lmao at dat tweeeeeeeeest, don't really think it adds anything tbh

Whatever, of all the partings this was obviously gonna be the hardest. But it's all neatly tied up by the end, and everyone deals with it in varying :firehawk ways. It's all done! Happy ending! Doremi is a really good girl. She always thinks of everyone.

But...
What about her!?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 51 - END
Hah, It's payback time... ;__;
Well, I guess I was wrong above, this was the hardest.

Fuck ;___;

It was played as straight as you would expect, and it hits all the notes you would expect in the hardest way. A brilliant final episode, closing in an amazing final stretch for a brilliant show. They even brought back Carnival! ;__; It even ended with
Doremi fulfilling her 'dream' and giving a love letter. Although NO STEAK WAS EATEN, THE FUCK SHOW

Man, it's starting to hit me that I cruised through 216 episodes of Doremi in a damn month. I got hooked as hell on this, and it was entirely worth it. I had to put up with the horrors of early digital Toei, early Toei-tier video quality, toy mongering and overlong stock footage, a ton of cheap, iffy looking episodes and many entirely bad ones, but ultimately the characters endeared themselves to me so strongly that I couldn't get enough of them, their lame antics and their crazy silly faces. It's probably the best children's show that has been made and one of the best anime I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Igarashi's masterpiece.

i1gbEaOf1e1x3.jpg

No, thank you.

This is the episode where at least some things started to make sense for me. You'll never be able to make sense of everything anyway though. Enjoy!

Hugstable

Banned
Starting to watch the Haruhi movie right now and gonna write up a series review for both the show and the movie. Really enjoyed the show even though I thought it was a bit strange to do the whole endless 8 thing and then end with filming the movie that we got a glimpse of in Episode 00. Gonna be interesting to see where they take this movie, hopefully more Nagato awesomeness!

Edit: Woah everything in this movie is pretty strange so far!

376258.jpg

SHE HAS MORE FEELINGS NOW?!?!?

Clov

So the fact that Sony is giving away the 3 Berserk movies on PS+ makes me think that a 4th one might be coming. Which would be awesome.

Hopefully they'll give them to a different studio. I love Studio 4C, but they're not the right team for Berserk. I'm still upset at how bad that CG was and how frequently it was used.

Hopefully they'll give them to a different studio. I love Studio 4C, but they're not the right team for Berserk. I'm still upset at how bad that CG was and how frequently it was used.

Some of the scenes looked pretty good (because they were key scenes, so they invested more time and money), while others looked very cheap.

In other words, I think it's more a need of a bigger budget, more than needing change studios. Do we know what was 4C budget?

Syrinx

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 50
lmao at dat tweeeeeeeeest, don't really think it adds anything tbh

Whatever, of all the partings this was obviously gonna be the hardest. But it's all neatly tied up by the end, and everyone deals with it in varying :firehawk ways. It's all done! Happy ending! Doremi is a really good girl. She always thinks of everyone.

But...

What about her!?

Ojamajo Doremi Dokka~n! 51 - END
Hah, It's payback time... ;__;
Well, I guess I was wrong above, this was the hardest.

Fuck ;___;

It was played as straight as you would expect, and it hits all the notes you would expect in the hardest way. A brilliant final episode, closing in an amazing final stretch for a brilliant show. They even brought back Carnival! ;__; It even ended with
Doremi fulfilling her 'dream' and giving a love letter. Although NO STEAK WAS EATEN, THE FUCK SHOW

Man, it's starting to hit me that I cruised through 216 episodes of Doremi in a damn month. I got hooked as hell on this, and it was entirely worth it. I had to put up with the horrors of early digital Toei, early Toei-tier video quality, toy mongering and overlong stock footage, a ton of cheap, iffy looking episodes and many entirely bad ones, but ultimately the characters endeared themselves to me so strongly that I couldn't get enough of them, their lame antics and their crazy silly faces. It's probably the best children's show that has been made and one of the best anime I've had the pleasure of experiencing. Igarashi's masterpiece.

That steak-sized hole in my heart still hasn't been filled. :(

Hitokage seriously did not overhype this show. Deciding to watch it to see what he was fussing about is still one of the best anime decisions I've made.

Defuser

Sabagebu! ep 9
Thats my Momoka, don't even show mercy while slaugtering old people. Dat Live free or Die Hard crash. I'm surprised the Mangaka of this show is a big fan of western media influences.

Sailor Moon 33

It's Sailor Fake.

So the Dark Kingdom guys finally comes up with a pretty good plan. Too bad for them Sailor Venus and Artemis shows up and spoils their plans. And the Sailor Guardians team is finally complete.

Yeah. I really did not like the CG. Berserk deserves better.

So the fact that Sony is giving away the 3 Berserk movies on PS+ makes me think that a 4th one might be coming. Which would be awesome.

I thought that was already known. Weren't we going to get the the parts where Guts forms his new group.

Starting to watch the Haruhi movie right now and gonna write up a series review for both the show and the movie. Really enjoyed the show even though I thought it was a bit strange to do the whole endless 8 thing and then end with filming the movie that we got a glimpse of in Episode 00. Gonna be interesting to see where they take this movie, hopefully more Nagato awesomeness!

Edit: Woah everything in this movie is pretty strange so far!

That's because you watched it in an order that isn't logical. When Kadokawa, Ishihara, Takemoto, and Tanigawa (yes, he's credited for assistance) decided to make Disappearance into a movie, the group decided to re-do the series into one 28 episode run instead of simply adding 14 more episodes. If you watched it in order, you would've seen it that way and it wouldn't "end with filming the movie." Sadly, the peer pressure from people who insist you must watch the broadcast order of 2006 and then only watch the new 2009 episodes create this mess when there's not been any different orders since 2009 on Japanese TV. (Yes, it gets re-aired pretty regularly on Japanese TV through the specialty channels.) It's meant to show you how bad Haruhi was in Sigh and then how she grew through Live a Live and Someday in the Rain.

Must've about that thing lol, please I can bet my ass we here in asia generally more friendly to Gay than y'all in muricah despite make those little ignorance like that here and there.
ಠ_ಠ You really don't want to play this game, especially over fuckin' Yosuke.

phaze

Texhnolyze 20-22 END

ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

That was about as depressing an ending as it gets.
I knew things weren't going to end pretty but I thought that I would at least get some singular, stray ray of optimism in that sea of darkness. The massacre of the main and supporting cast in the last 2 episodes was hard to watch. Onishi ;_;
Loved the music during
Ichise's final walk to the Opera
and even the "engrish" song at the end was actually really good.

The show is very deliberately paced and at times (episodes 2-4) slows down to a crawl but other than that part, I always found it captivating and interesting enough to continue. Initially I disliked where the story went with the introduction of
Shapes
. That just seemed so out of there even for this show. Fortunately, the last 4 episodes dispelled any qualms I had about the direction they were taking. They really knocked those out of the park.
The surface world
was just an incredibly atmospheric and disturbing place. I can't fault
Yoshii
for getting his deranged ass out of there. The latter was still better antagonist that Kano who I feel had too small a presence during the second half. I much appreciated that the show answered some of the questions that puzzled me throughout its duration and that I've given up hope of getting answers for. Like
the whole source of light in Lux, or what the hell happened to the world above. I still don't get how Yoshii survived there though, considering he had plenty of implants himself.

Very good maybe even great show but definitely not for everyone.

Now to read some, peasant friendly, essay on the philosophy of the show to wrap my head around that ending.

Midonin

Blade Dance 08

Fianna's (not) busted. She and Claire have more in common than they think. Some serviceable action, some service in action, and Kamito getting more people waking up in his bed. As I've been saying all along, it's not bad, it's just very middle of the road. I'm okay with that.

Anyone thinking of getting the Ghost in the Shell 25th anniversary BluRay this month? I am tempted to preorder it on Amazon, saw it listed but I am worried the transfer might be terrible.

Anyone thinking of getting the Ghost in the Shell 25th anniversary BluRay this month? I am tempted to preorder it on Amazon, saw it listed but I am worried the transfer might be terrible.
It shouldn't be much worse than the Japanese Blu-ray transfer. I was just looking into it and apparently a new/different transfer aired on Japanese TV that was better than the Blu-ray. o_O

TV
Blu-ray

The color timing is really different, for one. Paging Risette.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Fate/Kaleid 1

No. So many of my No's. Is this comedy? I can't tell what the fuck is going on. What have I done? WHAT IS THIS?!

It shouldn't be much worse than the Japanese Blu-ray transfer. I was just looking into it and apparently a new/different transfer aired on Japanese TV that was better than the Blu-ray. o_O

TV
Blu-ray

The color timing is really different, for one.

Eehhhh ok I think I will hold off on the reserve. See what people think before I jump in. Thanks for that.

Watched the Persona 5 teaser. Why did they think that scene with the 3D crowd was a a good idea? Atlus needs to work with better animation studios. -_-

That's because you watched it in an order that isn't logical. When Kadokawa, Ishihara, Takemoto, and Tanigawa (yes, he's credited for assistance) decided to make Disappearance into a movie, the group decided to re-do the series into one 28 episode run instead of simply adding 14 more episodes. If you watched it in order, you would've seen it that way and it wouldn't "end with filming the movie." Sadly, the peer pressure from people who insist you must watch the broadcast order of 2006 and then only watch the new 2009 episodes create this mess when there's not been any different orders since 2009 on Japanese TV. (Yes, it gets re-aired pretty regularly on Japanese TV through the specialty channels.) It's meant to show you how bad Haruhi was in Sigh and then how she grew through Live a Live and Someday in the Rain.

Yep, screw the "purists" who think broadcast order is best. Chronological order actually shows the growth of Haruhi over the course of the series.

I just got done rewatching the series/movie yesterday, still amazing. Disappearance is just so good.

Clov

I'm thinking of it, but I'm going to wait for reviews. I can't really bring myself to trust Anchor Bay/Manga Entertainment. I remember reading a nasty rumor that the release is only going to have stereo for the Japanese track, and only English SDH subtitles. I really hope that's not true.

I'm thinking of it, but I'm going to wait for reviews. I can't really bring myself to trust Anchor Bay/Manga Entertainment. I remember reading a nasty rumor that the release is only going to have stereo for the Japanese track, and only English SDH subtitles. I really hope that's not true.

Even more reason to wait. Thanks for the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom