• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gargantia 2

So I started to watch it after Neon alley announced the dub would be removed from Hulu on the 6th and it's pretty good so far.

I do have a question though. Is there supposed to be a specific language(s) that the dub is using when communicating the language barrier between Ledo and everyone else or are they just speaking gibberish?

cajunator

Banned
Earth Maiden Arjuna 3

This Chris guy is an asshole. Even I don't know whatever the fuck it is he wants from Arjuna. "But you said that these things are devouring the Earth and that I need to protect the Earth". "And yet you would kill them just for that?"...What?

Also, don't eat strange mushrooms you find in the woods.

Oh yes Chris. Chris is so kind.
hehehee

Gargantia 2

So I started to watch it after Neon alley announced the dub would be removed from Hulu on the 6th and it's pretty good so far.

I do have a question though. Is there supposed to be a specific language(s) that the dub is using when communicating the language barrier between Ledo and everyone else or are they just speaking gibberish?

What did they do in the dub? I honestly can't remember what the subbed version did

14086295707774mof7.png

Pokemon XY 40

NUDISUTO BEAAACH!!

Pretty obvious that Aikuro Sycamore and Nurse Joy had a nice night together.

That conversation between Ash and Serena about their dreams was so sweet.

Don't really mind Serena's goal turning out to be an idol girl.

Just so long as it doesn't become boring like contest or she never makes any progression like Misty, I'll be cool with it.

School Days 4
Makoto takes things too fast, tries to learn to take it slow, going too fast on another girl. And so many floating plotpoints. Next episode, pool episode

Frog-fu

Banned
Who else is hyped for this Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis? The trailer looks phenomenal. I'm getting Shingeki no Kyōjin/Fate vibes from this one.

It's based on a card game, so I was pretty sceptical before seeing that trailer, but now I know I'm definitely going to be watching it. It might not be great but the production values alone warrant a try.

Who else is hyped for this Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis? The trailer looks phenomenal. I'm getting Shingeki no Kyōjin/Fate vibes from this one.

It's based on a card game, so I was pretty sceptical before seeing that trailer, but now I know I'm definitely going to be watching it. It might not be great but the production values alone warrant a try.
I'm curious how it's going to turn out too. There hasn't been any new footage since then, so I imagine that initial trailer was a pilot film and the actual series will look different.

Edit: Obviously, a television production won't look nearly that good most of the time anyway.

cajunator

Banned
So tonight I finally showed my friend Millennium Actress. He still likes Perfect Blue more but agreed that it is a really really good movie.
He also pointed out to me that Chiyoko played a prostitute in one movie based on her outfit whereas I just thought she was a geisha all this time. Apparently in old japan those kinds of ladies wore the ribbon tied in the front "for easier access"

And we though anime bombas could be bad.

2014bomb.png

I dont even recognize this. When did it come out?

School Days 4
Makoto takes things too fast, tries to learn to take it slow, going too fast on another girl. And so many floating plotpoints. Next episode, pool episode

Most pool episodes are less shallow than School Days lol.

Finished Gurren Lagann

Holy shit. I don't even know what happened in those last two episodes. The show was crazy. I loved the evolution theme, starting out from a rudimentary village underground to fighting in space-time. Nuts how that happened without me even realizing it. The show started off a bit slow, but it made the end so much better with the whole evolution you witness.

That was great, thanks for recommending it everyone!

Syrinx

Aria: The Origination 11

The introduction scenes now have largely featured President Maa the last few episodes. Giving way to a new generation indeed.

Akira after Aika gave that tour was great. Just so used to mentoring her and scolding her and being hard on her and such, and then Aika gives a pretty much perfect tour and Akira just has that weird look on her face as she's completely at a loss for what to say or what to do. The whole rest of that segment was just Akira really coming to the fact that Aika really is ready to become a Prima, and her just processing that. This has been been my favorite relationship in the show, and the resolution will be hard to watch but damn worth it.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Looks like they unwisely opted for a celebrity voice cast.

An important lesson voice casters need to learn, celebrities often make terrible voice actors.
Pixar needs to learn this lesson for their Ghibli dubs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
An important lesson voice casters need to learn, celebrities often make terrible voice actors.
Pixar needs to learn this lesson for their Ghibli dubs.

Ugh, the Princess Mononoke dub is just drenched in this thought process.

duckroll

I have a confession to make. When they first announced that Claire Danes was in Princess Mononoke, it actually made me more excited for the English version, because I still remembered her as the cute Juliet in Romeo+Juliet. I'm sure business-wise the thought process works, because it gets more people who might otherwise not be interested in anime to pay more attention to upcoming releases. Celebrity power is a thing!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I have a confession to make. When they first announced that Claire Danes was in Princess Mononoke, it actually made me more excited for the English version, because I still remembered her as the cute Juliet in Romeo+Juliet. I'm sure business-wise the thought process works, because it gets more people who might otherwise not be interested in anime to pay more attention to upcoming releases. Celebrity power is a thing!

Even if it means listening to Billy Bob Thornton: Buddhist Monk.

NeonZ

Motto To Love Ru episodes 1+2

Did I miss something? Who are these new characters? Flower head toddler, and two girls that look like Lala? Motto To Love Ru happens after the 1st season, right? Or do I have to watch the OVAs first?

The OVAs and later seasons of To Love Ru aren't really continuations of the original anime. They're adaptations based on later (and a couple of earlier too) chapters of the manga that just go straight there without bothering to cover all new elements that appear there compared to the original anime. You get the most important ones, Lala's sisters and some radom plot devices, introduced in the OVAs, but, even so, some elements will be clearly 'off' coming from the first anime, which was a much less direct adaptation of the manga than the later ones and other bits still will pop out of nowhere (like Oshizu having an artificial human body and going to school).

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Thing is Pixar's releases of the Ghibli films (especially the old ones that were basically straight to DVD releases) don't even have much publicity. The only name you need is Miyazaki.

At least the UK is happy with subs so our releases tend to offer both thank God. Also interestingly the Wind Rises posters, from what I recall and from a quick gander at Google Image Search results, make no mention of the voice actors (not even Hideaki Anno? But he's such a big name!) so maybe they've realised it was a silly idea after all.

Just a shame they only cottoned on to that fact with the release of one of Ghibli's final films (for now).

Moaradin

It's about 67 chapters long and each chapter is in the range of 30-40 pages, so there's likely to be noticeable cutting down. I've seen it happen with Tokyo Ghoul and the results ain't pretty.

2-3 chapters an episode doesn't seem too bad. Tokyo Ghoul is only like 12 episodes.

2-3 chapters an episode doesn't seem too bad. Tokyo Ghoul is only like 12 episodes.

The only problem I could see is if they rearrange things, skip important details, and mess up characterization like Tokyo Ghoul.

Yeah I just hope they dont butcher the manga like whats currently happening to Tokyo Ghoul.

Additionally, I don't remember Parasyte having obvious "filler" or episodic content independent of the rest, so while I'm sure 24 eps is enough to focus on the core parts and make a decent story, there will be nice stuff left in the montage room. It was also fairly dense, this isn't Miura's Berserk full of double page spreads or Inoue's Vagabond or Matsumoto's Ping Pong full of silent panels capturing the moment through multiple angles.

Toradora - 01-02

*barf*

Not interesting in following a story about stereotypes and slapstick humor. Nothing was funny, everything predictable and I already loath pretty much all the characters. Dropped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom