• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu - 12-19

Hmm now that was a really interesting way to cover a time-loop plot. That it actually took 8 episodes until the circle was finally over is quite something. I really liked seeing the amount of different animation for scenes as well as the small changes every iteration. Dragging it out this long gave this arc quite a bit of tension actually as I was thinking to myself "okay, it's gonna end now... right? Or...what, really? Again?!?" after episode 3 already.

That said, as you'd expect from something akin to this, you have to suffer through a lot of repetition and redundancy. Yes, one may be eager to see all the changes but in the end I was also bored to death seeing mostly the same plot happen again and again. Even though I think it was well executed overall, I'll never want to go through that again ;P

Hmm now that was a really interesting way to cover a time-loop plot. That it actually took 8 episodes until the circle was finally over is quite something. I really liked seeing the amount of different animation for scenes as well as the small changes every iteration. Dragging it out this long gave this arc quite a bit of tension actually as I was thinking to myself "okay, it's gonna end now... right? Or...what, really? Again?!?" after episode 3 already.

That said, as you'd expect from something akin to this, you have to suffer through a lot of repetition and redundancy. Yes, one may be eager to see all the changes but in the end I was also bored to death seeing mostly the same plot happen again and again. Even though I think it was well executed overall, I'll never want to go through that again ;P

To me it was like loop 6-7 when it started to grate on me. When I rewatched last week I only did 1,2 and 8.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Toradora - 01-02

*barf*

Not interesting in following a story about stereotypes and slapstick humor. Nothing was funny, everything predictable and I already loath pretty much all the characters. Dropped.

The show takes a few turns and I think sets itself apart from other romantic comedies. Having such a small cast certainly helped.

sonicmj1

Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 9

I don't like the parts about Maeno-san. He's too predictably ridiculous to be funny.

Though I really liked the gag at the end when Nozaki was trying to draw an illustration that Sakura would want.

Hugstable

Banned
Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun 9

I don't like the parts about Maeno-san. He's too predictably ridiculous to be funny.

Though I really liked the gag at the end when Nozaki was trying to draw an illustration that Sakura would want.

Same, I wasn't too big on the second half of this episode dealing with Maeno-san. I really hope they keep the focus on the fun and crazy characters that I love and don't do too much more episodes with Maeno >_>

e_i

Look at what I got:

Oh, do I see someone's arm around another? Squeeeeeeeee! And some nice Rin/Hanayo loving too. Squeeeeeeeeeee!

phaze

Toradora - 01-02

*barf*

Not interesting in following a story about stereotypes and slapstick humor. Nothing was funny, everything predictable and I already loath pretty much all the characters. Dropped.

Predictable is probably true but if the slapstick comment is directed towards Taiga's antics, then know that there is less of them as the show moves forward. (Though they don't fully go away.)

Monster 1-8

It's been decent. Interesting premise and Johan is a good antagonist so far. Tenma's fiancée, her father and his hospital crew is/were so over the top evil that it is/was hard to take them seriously.

Sabagebu 9

Dull and has been for a while now. Momoka's bursts of evil alone are not enough to carry the show.

Nozaki-kun 9
Not as bad as the above but Nozaki-Chiyo episodes are the worst. I hope the whole school cast will get together someday.

Look at what I got:

Oh, do I see someone's arm around another? Squeeeeeeeee! And some nice Rin/Hanayo loving too. Squeeeeeeeeeee!

Who is the one that sings accompanied with piano in the first episode? I saw clip last night and the voice was pretty great. Singers accompanied with piano need to happen more often (like Maaya Sakamoto's Be Mine (live).

Hugstable

Banned
Who is the one that sings accompanied with piano in the first episode? I saw clip last night and the voice was pretty great. Singers accompanied with piano need to happen more often (like Maaya Sakamoto's Be Mine (live).

Maki is the one who plays the Piano. Been awhile since I've seen that first episode but I'm pretty sure it was her. Also you should look up Aishiteru Banzai Piano Mix

EDIT: here's the link :D SONG

1990s character designs have not aged all that well.
At least they are remarkable for better or worse, compared to a lot of designs today.

Karas Ep. 3

Narrative continues to not be the series' strong suit, a setup for dramatic tension was kind of wasted. It's not bad, just mediocre. The action still hasn't been as good as the first episode, which would be fine for a television series but this is an OVA. Part of the action not being as good is how unclear the visuals got at times in this episode. Also the sexy spider woman is a mark against the series. Ugh.

Nakamura returns for the last episode, so I have that to look forward to.

Mokoi

Banned
Look at what I got:

Nice pick up!

That would be Maki, and if you so care to give a listen to it again. Here it is.

http://youtu.be/sQyLOurIqZM
It's one of my favorite song on the ost.

Joe Molotov

Yes! Precure 5 49 END

xl9IE2L.png

Nozomi tells Coco she loves him and he's just kinda like "Yeah!" Haha, oh man, great ending guys, really nailed it. No final battle against Desperiah-sama, after all that, she realizes she's just all messed up inside and and surrenders to the Precure. Bunbee was truly the best character of the series, I hope he survives to return in GoGo. He should be the main character.

cajunator

Banned
I have a confession to make. When they first announced that Claire Danes was in Princess Mononoke, it actually made me more excited for the English version, because I still remembered her as the cute Juliet in Romeo+Juliet. I'm sure business-wise the thought process works, because it gets more people who might otherwise not be interested in anime to pay more attention to upcoming releases. Celebrity power is a thing!

I really liked the celebrity voices in Mononoke. Even BIlly Bob.

Parasyte is confirmed for 24 episodes :(

At least its not the Pupa situation.

Look at what I got:

Wait what is this a book or something else?

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Is anyone watching Nobunaga Concerto?
It's pretty boss. Probably as near as "historically accurate account of Nobunaga's story" as we're ever going to get from japan.

cajunator

Banned
Ive resumed watching From The New World.
I already recommend it based on how strong of a story it is and the atmosphere but I havent actually finished it myself. Gonna start with part 2 today.

Is anyone watching Nobunaga Concerto?
It's pretty boss. Probably as near as "historically accurate account of Nobunaga's story" as we're ever going to get from japan.

BvgtT9qIMAE0M2b.png

Yep I love following Subaru's take on taking over JPN and how hes so different from everyone but they still get behind him. Hideyoshi is my favorite character plot point so far, curious to see what will happen with him end of day.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Marathon finished Space Battleship Yamato 2199.

Incredible.
Yup!

To me it was like loop 6-7 when it started to grate on me. When I rewatched last week I only did 1,2 and 8.
I don't think it's really worth watching after the fact, although I suppose it compounds the frustration into a shorter period of time. lol

Free! Eternal Summer 10

Rin sure is popular. That felt like a confession from Sousuke lol. And from the previews looks like Makoto is going to confess to Haru as well.

Felt bad for Sousuke.
Wanted Samezuka to win.

cajunator

Banned
Ahhh dammit its sold out. Folks this is why I buy so much anime on disc to begin with. You never know when it will be sold out. Its aggravating.

Midonin

Marimite S4 01-04

I don't feel that I can judge each season of Marimite individually. Even with the years separating their production, season 3 seamlessly transitions into season 4. Not having "pastel pure" for an opening, nor "Sonata Blue" for an ending, though the OVAs already changed that, is a noticeable shift for the show. Both songs are good, and I already voiced my complaints yesterday about Nozomi removing the ED videos.

The theme of this season is clear from the get-go. Yumi needs to find a little sister of her own. Yoshino does too, and having her take such a prominent position this season pleases me. Sachiko's idea of gender-swapping the entire cast of "The Changelings" was a fun little experiment - Alice was certainly pleased with it - and Kanako's resolution was certainly heavy on the drama. I've been seeing a ton of student-teacher romances lately. And not only is the Virgin Mary watching, but so is Mars. The way little things like Yumi's hastily thought up excuse come back around is part of what I like about this show.

Toradora - 01-02

*barf*

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that didn't like this anime. My friends always told me I was a monster for not watching/liking it.

zulux21

I'm glad that I'm not the only one that didn't like this anime. My friends always told me I was a monster for not watching/liking it.

in Toradora's defense it's another one of those series where the first 4-6 episode are at best just ok, but after that they figure out what they are doing with the characters and it gets quite a bit better.

In general I dislike violent tsundare types (in fact a violent cliche tsundare as a main character is one of the two fastest ways to get me to stop watching a series... the fastest would be to stick 4-6 moe females in a club setting >.>) But overall I like Taiga. She is a bad character that I disliked for the first so many episodes, but we start finding out reasons for her violence and in general the tsun garbage is toned down and she becomes a decent character.

That's not to say it's wrong to dislike the series, I could totally see that, but they are characters that aren't nearly as cliche as the first few episodes make them feel.

I did it for Nico.
Nico Nico Niiiiiii

You wouldnt understand.

I at least understand to the degree that the main reason I buy a lot of limited editions of japanese stuff is because worst case people like you will buy them from me for a profit :p

Free! Eternal Summer 10

Rin sure is popular. That felt like a confession from Sousuke lol. And from the previews looks like Makoto is going to confess to Haru as well.

Felt bad for Sousuke.
Wanted Samezuka to win.
Yeah, basically a parallel with Haru's cherry blossom scene in season 1 with Rin.

Makoto's probably gonna tell Haru what he wants to do -- become a coach or whatever. Next episode doesn't look too eventful. I wonder if Haru plans to only swim relays from now on, since competitive freestyle gives him too much unwanted publicity.

I was actually disappointed that they let Sousuke swim. Even if he really wants to swim relay, isn't that kind of irresponsible? I think Rin should have put Sousuke's health before his wants.

zulux21

http://asset3.neogaf.com/forum/image.php?u=34642&dateline=1302849696[IMG]

Wow, I was expecting 37 or so. There's definitely going to be some cutting, hope it won't end up like [B]Tokyo Ghoul[/B]
Hype levels fading, but I think Madhouse can still make a coherent adaptation with a lot of content cut.
[I]I think[/I][/QUOTE]

does the story have an ok stopping point towards the middle? it could be a case where they make a season of 24 episode with half of the material and if it does well animate the other half if it doesn't they just ignore the other half.

cajunator

Banned
I think the Love Live went quickly due to the inexplicable popularity of Love Live. Have never seen another NISA set sell out so quickly. Usually I have time to grab it.
I really wasnt happy to spend what I just did on it but thems the breaks.

Midonin

Prisma Illya 2wei 09

Masked Rider Miyu, our last hope, showtime! Battle-heavy episode, and most of it was pretty smooth, too. Hard to believe that next week is the last episode of this season. I don't know if we're getting a 2wei Part 2 or even an eventual adaptation of the third season of the manga, but I'd welcome it. This has been a pretty enjoyable magical girl series, and now that I have a bit of Type-Moon knowledge, all the little Easter eggs have given it another layer. (Also, I'm okay with both Riders, Medusa and Alex. Rock on, Miyu.) Looking forward to seeing how everything resolves itself next time.

Andrew J.

Prisma Illya 2wei 09

An awesome fight episode, with enough drama and character development to keep it from getting stale. Episodes like this are why I love the show.

Gag of the week:
The nurse looking like she was gearing up to do something cool, and then declaring that she'll go home and sleep.

sonicmj1

Pupipo!

Wow, that was really great. The first five-episode arc was just a taste of what was to come.

The great thing about short-format anime is that they don't have the luxury of wasting the viewer's time. That doesn't mean they have to be rushed, because you can accomplish an enormous amount with animation in three and a half minutes. It just means they have to be efficient, and make intelligent choices when they adapt their material.

Pupipo absolutely does that. In its brief runtime, it uses a smart blend of humor, drama, action, and even romance to build a great story that respects the humanity of all of its characters. It's a story of past regrets, loneliness, friendship, and the power that human bonds have to change and transform our lives. And at the center is a pink ball of cuteness with stubby arms who can banish ghosts. It sounds crazy, especially after watching just an episode or two, but it really works.

Bring on more works like Pupipo!

School Days 5
*Starts watching episode*
Well this is certainly going places. Not great places but places. Sekai's friend has bad taste. And Makoto is a very big idiot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom