• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Strike Witches - 8

...I'm sorry, what?

Minna says she has to make sure she never loses anyone ever again.

Then proceeds to point a gun at Sakamoto.

Aldnoah Zero and SAO II - 10

The way these shows trying to make us empathize with characters who killed someone is pathetically bad.

It's 10000000000% clear to the audience that Kirito, Sinon and PTSD-Man did the absolute right thing in their respective situation. There is no gray area or anything. Kirito killing the laughing coffin members in a battle of life and death is justified. Sinon, at the age of 11, shooting a bank robber who even threatens to kill her mom, is justified. PTSD-Man giving his friend the coup de grâce is not just justified, it's fucking expected. Watching the sequence last episode actually made me think "damn man, just shoot him already. He's burning alive with zero hope. DO IT NOW."

Yet these themes are presented as a major character conflict? Urgh. Again, the audience is already aware that these characters are/were completely in the right. So now we're just waiting for them to think just the slightest bit logically and consider the same.

I understand that the events were traumatic either way, but in these cases it seems like the characters cannot even justify their doing logically. If it still bothered them big time, fine. But don't be so obnoxiously stupid about it.

Just recently dug myself out of an anime slump by thoroughly enjoying Mirai Shonen Conan. It's a little dated in ways you would expect being made in 1978, but it is one of my favorite things directed (at least in part) by Hayao Miyazaki. If you enjoy anything by him and wished he developed a whole series, then check out Conan. Super highly recommended, it's fun to see all of Miyazaki's archetypes develop in this series. The world, events and characters in Conan are based on a book by Alexander Key called The Incredible Tide and it was a perfect foundation for Miyazaki and staff to express his ideas and style.

So after finishing Conan I see the company that made it, Nippon Animation, made numerous anime based on classic literature. Anyone have experience watching some of their adaptations? I'd love to find something on-par with Conan. It doesn't necessarily have to be by future Ghibli staff.

Jarmel

Banned
Let's have a bunch of faceless kids in a circle mocking her for dramatic effect.

Good fucking god. Are Japanese kids that fucked up?

survivor

Banned
Just recently dug myself out of an anime slump by thoroughly enjoying Mirai Shonen Conan. It's a little dated in ways you would expect being made in 1978, but it is one of my favorite things directed (at least in part) by Hayao Miyazaki. If you enjoy anything by him and wished he developed a whole series, then check out Conan. Super highly recommended, it's fun to see all of Miyazaki's archetypes develop in this series. The world, events and characters in Conan are based on a book by Alexander Key called The Incredible Tide and it was a perfect foundation for Miyazaki and staff to express his ideas and style.

So after finishing Conan I see the company that made it, Nippon Animation, made numerous anime based on classic literature. Anyone have experience watching some of their adaptations? I'd love to find something on-par with Conan. It doesn't necessarily have to be by future Ghibli staff.
Anne of Green Gables is pretty excellent work, directed by Isao Takahata. There is also Heidi, Girl of the Alps. I remember watching it, but have no strong memory of it, but it is also supposed to be good.

Shergal

You could try with the three TV series made by Takahata, considered the masterpieces of the whole classic literature adaptation trend: Heidi, Marco and Anne. Heidi is not Nippon Animation, but it's basically the same, like with Nausicaa being "not Ghibli".

Be aware though that the animation in Conan is some of the most lush you'll find in 70s TV anime, probably unmatched by anything else from the period.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh and I love seeing these character designs right before they talk about PTSD and traumatic experiences.
1410027190414.jpg
Look at that strong independent pose.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Barakamon Episode 9:

More wacky fun times with the local flavor I see. This was a pretty typical episode all things considered.

This may be me ranting, but if Tokyo Ghoul's manga was faithfully adapted and was done by a competent Studio. It may have been AOTY.

Oh well I hope Parasyte doesn't turn out disappointing. Your my only hope.

Starting my penalty show for Linkman.

Watamote 1

A Death note reference? A WcDonalds? A mix between The World God Only Knows and Welcome to the NHK? Made by Silver Link? Linkman.... you just get me. Silver Link, those brilliant bastards. This was a really strong first episode. I hope the whole season is like this episode. Main girl kind of freaks me out though.

Also OP is awesome.

Starting my penalty show for Linkman.

Watamote 1

A Death note reference? A WcDonalds? A mix between The World God Only Knows and Welcome to the NHK? Made by Silver Link? Linkman.... you just get me. Silver Link, those brilliant bastards. This was a really strong first episode. I hope the whole season is like this episode. Main girl kind of freaks me out though.

That anime is really cringeworthy man.

Mr.Jeff

Did you watch S1 of Lupin III too? I really enjoyed those.

Still slugging my way through 155 episodes of S2.
Yeah I went through the first two seasons. S2 is just a mixed ride of average and good. S3 on the other hand is proving to be a horrific mess. Episode 2 didn't get any better at all.
Might just skim through it.

Midonin

Happiness Charge Precure! 31

Cure of the Day: Akane! (VOLLEYBALL)

The YuPhan ship just took off. To the point where Phantom doesn't even want to fight her because the power of rice, music and proportions have warmed his heart. And with Iona getting a love story of her own next week, the amount of yuri teasing I can come up with on the fly for this series continues to decrease. It feels like Precure and Pretty Rhythm have somehow traded places. As enjoyable as always, and next week, Innocent Form finally makes its in-show appearance.

I hope it's not just a glorified finisher.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
This may be me ranting, but if Tokyo Ghoul's manga was faithfully adapted and was done by a competent Studio. It may have been AOTY.

At this point Akame Ga Kill is a better anime series, think about that, and despair.

G Gundam - 14

So as I said in my last impression of this show, I knew Master Asia was evil but
not the others.

I thought this show was gonna be about
Domon, Sai, George, Chibode, and Bolt forming the team to take down the Devil Gundam.
Clearly I was way off.

But with the way it was all handled kind of worries me.
If becoming a slave to the Devil Gundam is THAT easy, how am I supposed to believe these Shuffle Alliance dudes are on the side of good if a turnaround betrayal could be right around the corner? The only people I can trust in this show is Domon and Rain!

And while we're on the subject, these Shuffle Alliance dudes are not where it's at anyway. The other guys had way more likeable designs. It kind of makes me sad, honestly. Knowing that for the duration of this show, Domon's going to be fighting against them. So like, is the OP going to change to show the Shuffle Alliance now?

So all in all, all of Domon's new friends left him and now we're back at square one. Being Domon is suffering.

Barakamon 09

8e21127ff8.jpg

da0036e097.jpg

b49056151a.jpg

Truer words have never been spoken, Shensei ;_;7

Captain Earth 23

Literally what the fuck is going on in this show anymore.
I like these kind of alt universe stories but this was just boring as shit and hamfisted. I actually forgot about green boxer guy, red photo guy and teal motorcycle girl because they don't do anything.
Sasuga Bones.

ONII-SAMA the Animation 23

There was like a 15 second still this episo

What? What?

I don't care if this is the dumb chainsaw robot or the Batman flying suit.
My interest has been raised. Do not squander it.

Joe Molotov

Yeah I went through the first two seasons. S2 is just a mixed ride of average and good. S3 on the other hand is proving to be a horrific mess. Episode 2 didn't get any better at all.
Might just skim through it.

Yeah, I'd heard that S3 was pretty bad. I've never seen it, but most of the Post-S3 OVAs and TV specials that I have seen are pretty awful.

zulux21

it would be far better, but not AOTY (not even sure it would make my top 5). So far that goes to no game no life pretty easily for me.

At this point Akame Ga Kill is a better anime series, think about that, and despair.

through the material covered in the manga (as that is all I have read of either show, just the stuff already animated) I prefer akami ga kill over tokyo ghoul to this point (tokyo ghoul has the better character development, but overall akami has just been more entertaining). Tokyo ghoul is better than average, but not really anything special (same with akame ga kill for the record :p)

Syrinx

Earth Maiden Arjuna 6

"Isn't it because you say things like that that your wife left you?"

I'm trying to think of whatever the fuck is the reason Tokio said this. Was he trying to tell off the teacher (who didn't do anything to him), or was he just being an oblivious dolt (well, he is an oblivious dolt, but this instance)?

Though his statement isn't entirely wrong; this is a teacher who couldn't be arsed to put down his fucking textbook even after one of his students started screaming and jumped out the goddamn window.

CorvoSol

I've just clicked a link in the tag of a GAFfer (Byakuya769, but he's not to blame). It led me to a YouTube video that happens to be related to School Days, which I planned to watch in the upcoming weeks. I didn't pay much attention to the video itself, but I looked at the list of suggested videos on the right. And of course, the title of one of them has to be a major spoiler for the ending of the School Days:
School Days Ending Uncut with -Makoto's head in bag added

Fuck YouTube.

To be entirely honest the show is more fun if you already know. You're not on some pins and needles ride about some big thing, you're more "I'm glad I know how this ends because boy is it a deserved ending!"

Branduil

Earth Maiden Arjuna 6

"Isn't it because you say things like that that your wife left you?"

I'm trying to think of whatever the fuck is the reason Tokio said this. Was he trying to tell off the teacher (who didn't do anything to him), or was he just being an oblivious dolt (well, he is an oblivious dolt, but this instance)?

Though his statement isn't entirely wrong; this is a teacher who couldn't be arsed to put down his fucking textbook even after one of his students started screaming and jumped out the goddamn window.

He did it because it was easier.

it would be far better, but not AOTY (not even sure it would make my top 5). So far that goes to no game no life pretty easily for me.

through the material covered in the manga (as that is all I have read of either show, just the stuff already animated) I prefer akami ga kill over tokyo ghoul to this point (tokyo ghoul has the better character development, but overall akami has just been more entertaining). Tokyo ghoul is better than average, but not really anything special (same with akame ga kill for the record :p)

The reason I say this is because the Aogiri Arc is when it hit's it's stride. That Arc is fuckin insane and the rest that follow have been really great. The character development of the MC and the symbolism is amazing. The manga is in my top favorites considering the recent developments. So pretty much what you have read is just an entire build up of what's to come.

Also I'm sorry I know it's an opinion, but Akame Ga Kill is not even above average. It's characters have no depth and the MC is a chick magnet with every female on him with no apparent reason. Like even the antagonist is in love with him like wut. And don't even ask me about the Villains. Who are half baked cartoons with no purpose and are evil for the sake of being evil. Add to the fact that the tone doesn't know what to be with it's not funny comedy.

I mean sure the twists can be entertaining but even that can be predicted miles away at times. Pretty much Esdese is the only good thing about the series.

Quasar

Now Corvo needs to watch Angel Beats to appreciate TRUE suffering.

I only barely made it through 1 episode of that. Probably mostly due to complete non interest in the setup. But really after Clannad, Kanon, and Little Busters (though there I got warned about the twist so only watched the first half which I enjoyed) bullshit Key twists at the end makes it pretty dam hard for me to watch any more. At least till I hear about one which doesn't use that structure.

Branduil

Hmm, I hated Fuuko and Ryou, didn't care for Kotomi or Nagisa or <insert other side characters no one cares about here>, I liked Tomoyo, Kyou da best girl, Nagisa's parents were the best characters, I disliked half the routes in Clannad and liked the other half, I liked After Story and think it did some things very very well, I still disliked Nagisa throughout the whole thing because she's a bad character, I liked Kyou coming back, I hated Fuuko coming back, and the ending is an abomination that very nearly ruined the entire thing for me and actually might have had it been the anime I saw rather than the VN.

You know, I can't tell if this post disproves your assertion or merely reinforces it. I guess overall I liked it, but more in a "the good half outweighed the bad half mostly" way.

Now Corvo needs to watch Angel Beats to appreciate TRUE suffering.

Really, you have to watch Angel Beats just to appreciate how much KyoAni actually manages to elevate their KEY material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom