• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
They were never going to stick around anyway. The entire point of their presence in that arc is to pass on their torches. Also they have an awesome theme song.

I guess I was too shocked by
the betrayal of the four that I actually thought they were going to stick around, haha. I legit thought that the others were going to be the show's main villains alongside Master Asia. Not that I'm complaining that that wasn't the outcome.

But anyways...

G Gundam - 16

Holy cat on a mousepad the Devil Gundam is UGGGGGGGLLLLY.

And that's not even its final form, isn't it?

Microsoft has a new Azure-tan.

Bw1RvvQCQAAWSS4.png
Perfection.

Shergal

Space Dandy 23
I'm amused at the little show-off inserts they put in; they just can't help themselves. This ep worked pretty well as a straight play of your typical romcom stories, but let me just insert an elaborate Itano Circus here, a weird monster with EXPLOSIONS there, and some ballin' mech work for good measure.

Also, next ep shit gets real

Space Dandy 23

Fuck you plot device train.

I really enjoyed this episode so much. The beginning was pretty funny and I wasn't exactly sure where it was going. I totally get why they'd have them miss their connection with each other. A tied down Dandy probably wouldn't be a as nearly as interesting Dandy.

G Gundam - 17

Wait, this Neo German Gundam Fighter is a mysterious masked dude whose identity is a mystery and uses a Samurai Sword...

*Proceeds to angrily stare at Gundam 00's Mr. Bushido.*

So I'm guessing a training arc begins now? I'll be okay with this. I mean, just as long as it doesn't drag out TOO long and we learn some interesting things during it.

CorvoSol

G Gundam - 17

Wait, this Neo German Gundam Fighter is a mysterious masked dude whose identity is a mystery and uses a Samurai Sword...

*Proceeds to angrily stare at Gundam 00's Mr. Bushido.*

So I'm guessing a training arc begins now? I'll be okay with this. I mean, just as long as it doesn't drag out TOO long and we learn some interesting things during it.

This arc lasts until episode 25, I think. Though not all of that is going to be training.

And Schwarz Bruder the German Ninja is every bit as cool as Nils Nielsen the Samurai Ninja Genius Boy.

This arc lasts until episode 25, I think. Though not all of that is going to be training.

And Schwarz Bruder the German Ninja is every bit as cool as Nils Nielsen the Samurai Ninja Genius Boy.

So it basically lasts about 8 or so episodes? That's good. Hunter X Hunter also had a training arc of similar length that wasn't all about training either.

Speaking of that, I'm interested on how this show is working less like a mecha anime and more like a Shounen anime that just happens to involve mecha.

-First few episodes are kind of slow.
-Main character has a super sayian-like power full of destructive potential.
-And now we're entering a training arc.

Jex

Yea I'm sorry but the climax and the resolution of it was awful. It felt not only cliche in premise but also execution.

You derided Miyazaki as a mere maker of children's movies, something akin to how the French auteur theorists would criticise some American directors as merely being Metteur en scène. I thought you were crazy then and you're still crazy now, Miyazaki wrote and directed movies of such quality that they moved the world and made Ghibli a recognised name not just in Japan but around the world. While he weakened somewhat in his later years his craftsmen ship is truly legendary.
One where someone's life isn't in danger due to some hamfisted accident and instead something more organic. That was something I expected out of Spider-Man 2, and that's because it's a comic book film.
Your critique is off the mark. You can't really critique for failing to adhere to your pre-defined notion of 'realism' in a story when Miyazaki was never, and has never, written that kind of narrative. Miyazaki wrote and directed movie stories, big and broad tales with larger than life people who could be better and stronger then anyone you knew. These people face situations and perform acts that to move the audience, to excite them, to entertain them. He writes big stories with bold characters to inspire an audience. Whether it's Lupin outsmarting the Count with cleverness, Nausicaa standing between the Earth and Manking, or Sheeta standing up to Muska inside the heart of Laputa these are meant to be big, exciting stories starring amazing, wonderful (but relatable) characters. Based on the success of his works I imagine others feel the same way.

Not that I have a problem with quainter, more realistic and retained storytelling. Miyazaki certainly doesn't because he worked with Takahata for decades and Takahata tells far more restrained and realistic stories with far more flawed characters, none so flawed as Seita from Grave of the Fireflies. But Miyazaki isn't trying to be Takahata and Takahata isn't trying to be Miyakai. There exist many different, completely legitimate approaches to telling a story. There's nothing wrong with how Miyazaki does it in his earlier films, even though later on his plots become more muddled.

Jex

Just recently dug myself out of an anime slump by thoroughly enjoying Mirai Shonen Conan. It's a little dated in ways you would expect being made in 1978, but it is one of my favorite things directed (at least in part) by Hayao Miyazaki. If you enjoy anything by him and wished he developed a whole series, then check out Conan. Super highly recommended, it's fun to see all of Miyazaki's archetypes develop in this series. The world, events and characters in Conan are based on a book by Alexander Key called The Incredible Tide and it was a perfect foundation for Miyazaki and staff to express his ideas and style.

So after finishing Conan I see the company that made it, Nippon Animation, made numerous anime based on classic literature. Anyone have experience watching some of their adaptations? I'd love to find something on-par with Conan. It doesn't necessarily have to be by future Ghibli staff.

Without taking the consideration for Nippon Animation on board, I'd say just stick to the Isao Takahata directed works from the World Masterpiece Theatre series: Marco, Anne of Green Gables and Heidi, Girl of the Alps.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
You derided Miyazaki as a mere maker of children's movies...
I don't feel this way about every Miyazaki movie but I would probably classify a decent body of his work as infantile and underdeveloped. I watched Totoro for the first time this week and it was a movie short on words with even less to say as a piece.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Space☆Dandy 20

JYB as the Gykro Empire leader named Johnny (lol)?
ALL HAIL SPACE LELOUCH

enteresting premise, but it seems kinda slow

Wow
food from Britannia?
here come the Geass references

He showed off his singing chops in the high school episode, but Ian Sinclair is actually a really damn good singer, wow.

Terror in Resonance 5

dat Australian

I'm really curious as to what the reasoning behind their non-murdering terrorism is

a three way cat and mouse? this getting fun

Captain Earth 18

oh crikey! we're in the outback, cunts

this is some really stupid action with some really bad set ups

DID THAT TANK REALLY DO A FUCKING NOSE STAND TO GET GUN DEPRESSION? this some :wonzo level tank shit

Attack on Titan 12

lol what you can totally retreat

words words words horrible direction words words words

lots of yelling, not very much action. par for the course.

One Week Friends 6

Hase getting cockblocked hard lol

Show is still really sweet and touching. I really love how they handle the light dose of comedy and romance but keep it so honest and innocent.

-------

The last episodes of Acchi Kocchi, Yami, and School Days are next.

fertygo

Captain Earth - 23

Fuck this fucking fucks, jebus this is worst episode that I seen today, and that saying a lot because I watching totally horrible eps of SAO and Aldnoah Zero

A whole episode about frigging nothing, fuck you Enokido.. jebus, I need to calm down..
iUB9See2POgwC.jpg

And when you thought you still not suffer enough throughout the episode.

Branduil

I don't feel this way about every Miyazaki movie but I would probably classify a decent body of his work as infantile and underdeveloped. I watched Totoro for the first time this week and it was a movie short on words with even less to say as a piece.

If Totoro is short on words, that's only because it's showing the POV of two very young children. I think it's pretty beautiful and poignant in how it captures the imagination, confusion, and pains of being a child in that situation.

CorvoSol

So it basically lasts about 8 or so episodes? That's good. Hunter X Hunter also had a training arc of similar length that wasn't all about training either.

Speaking of that, I'm interested on how this show is working less like a mecha anime and more like a Shounen anime that just happens to involve mecha.

-First few episodes are kind of slow.
-Main character has a super sayian-like power full of destructive potential.
-And now we're entering a training arc.

Yeah I think that you have roughly 3 arcs left in the show. The Guyana Highlands, the World Championship and the Grand Finale. Without spoiling it, the Guyana arc, although spent upon training, does get away from -just- Domon trying to cut things with a rusted sword. Some of it is pretty significant.

As to the rest, I think that it is important to remember that G Gundam draws heavily from old martial arts movies, so a training arc is necessary to maintaining that aesthetic. As to the absurd amount of power, that's pretty typical of Super Robot anime. I mean, let's not forget the endings to Gurren Lagann, or GGGF's Goldion Hammer crushing a sun. Absurdly over the top displays of power are pretty much -the- core tenet behind Super Robots to begin with.

And the slow build up is sorta normal for Gundam. I think the only Gundam series I can name off the top of my head with a strong start is Zeta. And I feel Zeta's middle sort of falters in spite of that.

Oh and Wing, I guess.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 12

I can't wait for this to finally be over...

Gargantua makes amends with busty underwear witch and they vow to be together forever in their storybook world. Hatsumi reveals her true form which is a naked magical girl with a force field which repels yuri love. Hazuki determines the only way to settle their love affair is to kill Hatsumi before taking her own life. Horny fox girl finds some elf dude who may have been in a previous episode and proceeds to rape him(!?!). This whole episode makes me wonder how I got this far without losing my fucking mind.

Soooo is it making sense yet? It shouldnt be!
It never does!
Also pancakes are magic.
My name is Quile.

The complete and utter ridiculousness of it all makes me wonder how this anime was conceived let alone how it got approved to be created. Everyone involved must have been higher than a kite during the whole production. I feel like I've destroyed more braincells with the sheer stupidity of this one episode than I have throughout this entire series.

Narag

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 12
The complete and utter ridiculousness of it all makes me wonder how this anime was conceived let alone how it got approved to be created. Everyone involved must have been higher than a kite during the whole production. I feel like I've destroyed more braincells with the sheer stupidity of this one episode than I have throughout this entire series.

Just need the VN to come over to NA so we can all suffer together and see what truly lies beneath.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
If Totoro is short on words, that's only because it's showing the POV of two very young children. I think it's pretty beautiful and poignant in how it captures the imagination, confusion, and pains of being a child in that situation.
I think there are a lot of positive things to be said about how the animation instills believable childlike qualities to the main characters, but outside of their mannerisms they don't actually act like children at all. Maybe feeling that way made it harder for me to really immerse myself inside what seemed like an overly idealistic point of view. And then there's like, this weird running theme of familial neglect that runs through Miyazaki's movies that just constantly butts in during Totoro. It's never really touched upon but it's just always there, and it feels really uncomfortable. Poor Goro.

Branduil

I think there are a lot of positive things to be said about how the animation instills believable childlike qualities to the main characters, but outside of their mannerisms they don't actually act like children at all. Maybe feeling that way made it harder for me to really immerse myself inside what seemed like an overly idealistic point of view. And then there's like, this weird running theme of familial neglect that runs through Miyazaki's movies that just constantly butts in during Totoro. It's never really touched upon but it's just always there, and it feels really uncomfortable. Poor Goro.

Well, I'm not sure what you mean by they "don't actually act like children" but I don't think I agree. The familial neglect is true, but unlike Miyazaki, their dad actually does have a decent excuse.

Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibto 13

Fuck this anime. Fuck the writer, the director, the animators, everyone involved. This is a fucking travesty and I think this may be the most offensive anime I have ever witnessed.

For the final episode almost 50% of it as reused footage from previous episodes. The much anticipated yuri kiss between the protagonists somehow impregnates the non witch character, we cry over our pancakes and it abruptly ends with no payoff. Most of these episodes put me to sleep now I'm just angry pondering how such a travesty was spawned from a human with a brain. Full series impressions later, I can't deal with his right now.

Branduil

Space Dandy 23

Another really strong episode. Great use of montage, and Dandy showed there's more to him than just a flat stereotype. It's surprising how much it got me to root for something that was obviously never going to happen.

Narag

Fuck this anime. Fuck the writer, the director, the animators, everyone involved. This is a fucking travesty and I think this may be the most offensive anime I have ever witnessed.

For the final episode almost 50% of it as reused footage from previous episodes. The much anticipated yuri kiss between the protagonists somehow impregnates the non witch character, we cry over our pancakes and it abruptly ends with no payoff. Most of these episodes put me to sleep now I'm just angry pondering how such a travesty was spawned from a human with a brain. Full series impressions later, I can't deal with his right now.

Feyl23p.gif

One day this hazing ritual will end. One day.

Woofington!!

Fate\Zero...dub or sub???

Like others have said if you can, go with the sub as over-all it's better, and if you join us on the discussion when Fate Stay Night starts airing this fall season, the transition won't be too off.

Having said that, the dub isn't half bad either there are some solid voice actors in there like Liam O'Brien and the guy who voices Lu Bu and Nier as Rider (aka the best character).

I'm pretty sure Netflix for sure has the dub, though they might give you the option to switch to Japanese.

Any questions you may have on the plot or want to discuss anything, let us know. It's always nice to see impressions of fate zero.

I watched half of episode one of Fate/Zero in sub, and half in dub. Can't decide which to watch.

Like I said, dub is decent but there are some really uninspired voice actors in there, like the guy who voices Lancer. I hated him each time he appeared on screen and the dub didn't help. The dub has the advantage of not having to read subtitles though.

RHShn6A.jpg

It's all you need son

Like others have said if you can, go with the sub as over-all it's better, and if you join us on the discussion when Fate Stay Night starts airing this fall season, the transition won't be too off.

Having said that, the dub isn't half bad either there are some solid voice actors in there like Liam O'Brien and the guy who voices Lu Bu and Nier as Rider (aka the best character).

I'm pretty sure Netflix for sure has the dub, though they might give you the option to switch to Japanese.

Any questions you may have on the plot or want to discuss anything, let us know. It's always nice to see impressions of fate zero.

Like I said, dub is decent but there are some really uninspired voice actors in there, like the guy who voices Lancer. I hated him each time he appeared on screen and the dub didn't help. The dub has the advantage of not having to read subtitles though.

Yeah I'll probably go with sub, I never mind reading and yeah I agree some of the voices in the dub just seem a bit...flat.

I feel I should mention this here because it was my first though.

I played Metro 2033. One of the many types of creatures that you find is kawaii kohai as shit. He will attack you and kill you, unless you look directly into its eyes and stare at him intensely. Which lead me to the conclusion that they want senpai to notice them, then they leave until another one wants to be noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom