• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yo Pshyco the earlier page must of been a nightmare. I know I would of been a bit irritated if some people shitted on Gintama my favorite series.

Everyone has their own opinion. Nothing I say or do will change those opinions. So me getting upset, being irritated or take out any frustration on something else would just be a waste of energy.

Midonin

Cardcaptor Sakura 27

So Kaho knew Touya in the past (thank you, Return) and we get another student/teacher relationship, though with a much smaller age gap, and someone named Yue. The show certainly isn't starving me for information, but it's dripping out at a pretty slow rate. Now's a good time to mention that I ordered a copy of Discotek's remastered version of the movie, especially since I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'd need to watch it.

TCRS

Banned
this is the general anime thread, right?

anyways, today I finally decided to give Legend of the Galactic Heroes a try. Curiously I found all episodes and both movies on youtube in HD. Not sure how legal that is but wouldn't it have been taken down if it was dodgy? I dunno.

I started with the first movie and was suprised as fuck when the intro text was in German lolol (found a couple of mistakes but otherwise it was pretty good). So the empire is based on the German Reich (the prussian one I'm guessing). I like that I think, I certainly liked the baroque design in a galactic setting and the japanese pronounciations of German names lol. But yeah design wise it was great as is the premise: a 150 year old war between a republic and an empire.

The soundtrack was great too, I mean that landing sequence with Tchaikovsky playing was simply epic. And of course the actual battle was epic as well. The numbers didn't make much sense to me (18000 ships and 2,2 mio people lost in a single battle?), but that's a minor point.

So yeah I really like this and will continue watching. Finally an anime that has sparked my interest. I'm not a great anime watcher, I have only seen the usual stuff (bebop, champloo, welcome to the nhk etc.).

btw. the translation of the title into German (Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel) doesn't make much sense either..

firehawk12

Subete no aware

anyways, today I finally decided to give Legend of the Galactic Heroes a try. Curiously I found all episodes and both movies on youtube in HD. Not sure how legal that is but wouldn't it have been taken down if it was dodgy? I dunno.

I started with the first movie and was suprised as fuck when the intro text was in German lolol (found a couple of mistakes but otherwise it was pretty good). So the empire is based on the German Reich (the prussian one I'm guessing). I like that I think, I certainly liked the baroque design in a galactic setting and the japanese pronounciations of German names lol. But yeah design wise it was great as is the premise: a 150 year old war between a republic and an empire.

The soundtrack was great too, I mean that landing sequence with Tchaikovsky playing was simply epic. And of course the actual battle was epic as well. The numbers didn't make much sense to me (18000 ships and 2,2 mio people lost in a single battle?), but that's a minor point.

So yeah I really like this and will continue watching. Finally an anime that has sparked my interest. I'm not a great anime watcher, I have only seen the usual stuff (bebop, champloo, welcome to the nhk etc.).

btw. the translation of the title into German (Heldensagen vom Kosmosinsel) doesn't make much sense either..
I still find the numbers in the show hilariously large. It's like WW1/WW2 numbers, but in space.

jbug617

Banned
Barakamon 9

lol at Sensei and Hiro getting hyped up
to beat those little kids
. I'm going to miss this show when it ends.

Mahouka 23

This Yokohama arc sucks. Move on to the next one already.

We have to wait for a S2. We just need Japan to buy the blurays and dvds to make it happen.

kinger256

Oh no, another Anthony. You're wrong, they complete make the entire movie. It would be pointless without them.

The reporters being "there" is classic Satoshi Kon. The whole idea of blending her fantasy with reality is achieved through the reporters. Had it just been told in a straightforward way, it would lose some of the charm and experience in my opinion. You see Chiyokos life and get involved in her movie roles through the reporters experiences in her memories and it is a rather fun way of telling a story. As Jexhius said, the whole point of the movie is the involvement of the reporters as they appear to interact with Chiyokos past. Its a really interesting idea that not many films have attempted.
I feel that this was the most pure form of Satoshi Kons blend of fantasy and reality in that it wasnt shoehorned into a dream or psychosis, but instead felt organic. The reporters were simply there to "witness" her memories and it felt so natural.

I felt they effectively already accomplished that without they the need for the reporters. I can appreciate what they were going for but it felt unnecessary for me. Just didn't work for me I guess.

The problem with Clannad's humor, as I once explained, is that it goes too far. If Clannad could restrain itself it wouldn't be as bad as I found it to be. Every single thing has to be exaggerated and hammered well past the point of necessity. Clannad could be funny, it just isn't confident enough that it is, and so it telegraphs things in an annoying way for the sake of making damn certain the audience knows they need to laugh here.

At times it almost manages to be funny, like when the Furukawa family are all teasing Okazaki about his interest in Sanae. Even things like this are bungled, though, when the entire scene is brought about by Nagisa getting drunk off a single drink of alcohol.

The show could be what people want it to be if it ever bothered to try. But so much of it is just the most disingenuously insincere grab for emotional response instead of the active effort to achieve that response.

I mean, again, look at the entire end of the show! They build Okazaki's character, have him bury the hatchet with his father, find happiness with his daughter where his father could not with him, and it seems that the show finally has something to say about what it means to be a family and what a family should be about, and then it throws that away for the sake of shamelessly wringing tears from the viewer over the corpse of a child slain by a disease so completely unexplained that it can only be plotitis, and then, atop that, they have the gall to pull away from that and backpedal everything like it was all one big dream! All this while throwing in the most horribly confusing metaphor about a little girl and a robot that makes NO sense within the context of the show's plot.

I'm sorry but Clannad just does not give a fuck. How people can defend this show after the Imperial Fleet of tomfuckery that is that final episode is completely beyond my faculties.

I hate the end of Clannad AS. Hate it with every fiber lol. I remember watching it and get extremely angry and going on Animesuki forums and raging at the BS they just pulled. I already liked the show before that so it was more anger at ruining a good thing than anything else though.

Okazaki gets points because he has to suffer to get his perfect anime life, For example Kirito in SAO just turns up and is awesome saves the world etc. Okazaki barely passes school, doesn't go to college, has to work with a disability which he has to hide, gets an opportunity for real advancement screwed up because of dad who he hasn't seen in years, hates the town he lives in and what it continually takes from him. And then his wife dies! But apparently being good occasionally gives you the power of God.

Still laughing about your summary btw. Absolutely hilarious.

Yes, enjoyment hampers critical thinking.

Yea. That's what I say about Barakamon but I don't want to be lynched so I'll be quiet.

Shounen Hollywood - 10

Now an entire episode is a fucking tv show, with a bunch musical numbers including a Miku clone, a lady that came straight out of Perfect Blue, some old school singer guy, a former SH member, and the current titular band.

It's one of better looking episodes to date, something idol fans would like with all the musical numbers.

Mahouka - 23

If anything , the explanation make sense because they actually crossed 2 big unknows in the formula by .." we'reusing magic" !

Anyway,
Miyuki is still keeping a perfect appearance. Ms phantom was just about to spill her coffee if this conversation went longer. Electron sorceress is the ally you want and the ennemy you don't want.

NEXT EPISODE , everyone will kick ass , finally .. They better animate the last 3 eps well or else ....

SAO2 10
So there's literally nothing to say about this episode that isn't any different from a review of any other previous episode of SAO. Kirito is so awesome that the woman that he is conveniently left alone with ends up wanting to have his children. Even the fact that he's some kind of noble warrior monk who regrets taking life is enough to get a woman hot and bothered.

But maybe I'm at a point where I just don't give a shit any more and, as a result, I'm starting to see positives where there probably aren't any in reality.

For example, the climatic scene between Kirino and Sinon after they escape Death Gun:
iArrq7yl.png

NPqeE6jl.png

I was just surprised, and amused, at how hard Sawashiro is trying in this scene. It's like she really, really believes in this role and is acting her heart out here.

You know how at award shows, they'll show a clip of the nominated actor in question in order to illustrate why they were nominated for a performance in the first place?
This is Sawashiro's version of that clip: http://a.pomf.se/luenni.webm

I couldn't help but laugh and think "OSCAR MOMENT" when that scene played out. It just felt so sincere for a scene that is so decidedly cheesy and manipulative in a show that I know is terrible otherwise. There's a part of me that wonders what Sawashiro would be like if she was giving a real meaty role in a text that actually deserves that kind of acting... because if nothing else, I have become convinced that she must care about every role she is given.

I suppose I could be in denial about her motivations - maybe she actually thinks this is a great role and actually cried in the recording booth in order to go full method, Mcconaughey-style.

Holy shit.....those two images have me in stitches.

Will you...will you....(sees a moe anime girl with teary eyes)

hold the hands of a murderer!

xD

New Barakamon is up.......aww yeah

Sailor Moon Crystal 05

We continue the tradition of all the sailor guardians being completely useless until the new one is introduced. At least Jupiter doesn't play games when she finally gets her powers and blasts the enemy with one lightning strike.

Jex

What's with all the people watching LOGH lately? I mean, I'm not complaining because it's a great show and all, but it's quite the time investment!

Jarmel

Banned
Captain Earth-23

I liked the speech at the end but good fucking god, an entire episode of this nonsense was boring. Shit got old 10 minutes in.

This was a clear stalling episode. Everything about this has been so utterly lackluster.

Sailor Moon Crystal 5
The introduction of Sailor Jupiter. Usagi being weird after being saved. Mars seems to be man-hating which I assume will later on be reversed for at least an episode. Jupiter has the senpai trope.

mankoto

Stardust Crusaders 23
"I can't put on the gear by myself. Could you help me out, Jotaro?"
"Do it yourself"
He never ceases to amaze me. Truly a family man.

Kansoku

Aldnoah Zero - 10

Instead let the MC with the personality of a rock
revive her through CPR. Then confront the (still at the crime scene) perpetrator with a ghost ninja move (she was looking straight at them and he still got to her, 3 booths away before she could pull the trigger) and successfully soothe her from killing herself.

Actually you can see in the webm that
she was looking down. Her hair even cast up a shadow in front of her eyes.

Actually you can see in the webm that
she was looking down. Her hair even made up a shadow in front of her eyes.

Yeah, sort of looking down to the side. You could still with relative ease spot someone going towards you.

Barakamon - 09

Decent episode, Sensei on the playground was pretty amusing

Naru mashing herbs got me thinking of some loading icon

zfl7Z5R.gif

TCRS

Banned
What's with all the people watching LOGH lately? I mean, I'm not complaining because it's a great show and all, but it's quite the time investment!

a thread on /tv/ reminded of the fact that I always wanted to watch it. The thread was about space battles and how the battle in Return of the Jedi is still the greatest ever although it's over 30 years old. Someone mentioned that LOGH also has great space battles and that's when I was like yeah I should watch that.

as for time investment I don't know. I don't think I've ever watched such a long anime except for Dragonball. so we'll see I guess.

Mr.Jeff

Lupin S3 - 01
The 80's were not kind to Goemon. He gained weight and a stupid haircut.
That aside, this was absolutely dreadful. 100% awful. The low points of Season 2 were better than this. And they made 50 episodes? Fucking hell.

Patlabor TV - 01
Good 80's. Worried the young girl and guy will becoming annoying.

Ai Mai Mi - 01-13
wonzo was right.

Barakamon 9

Not really the strongest episode, but even the weakest point is filled to the brim with charm and character. Again the interaction between the kids and sensei proves to be the highlight of the show, and it's nice to see how all of them treat him as another one of the kids and want to play around with him.

The bullies were pretty great too. And seeing sensei use the police threat? Fah'get about it, top notch sensei. We'll see how good today's Space Dandy is but so far this is the episode of the day.

Jex

[Kiki's Delivery Service] - 2014

kiki02.jpg

Er, wait, no, what I meant was:

[Kiki's Delivery Service - 1989

Hayo Miyazaki was a damn fine director. Damn fine/

I must admit, when I consider Miyazaki's great works I often let Kiki's Delivery Service slip my mind. Perhaps this is because it lacks the scale, the conflict, the action and the thematic weight of his serious projects like Mononoke. For whatever reason I rarely give this movie the credit I deserves.

Unlike most of Miyazaki's other works Kiki's operates not just as a traditional narrative but as a series of vignettes, usually based around whatever assignment Kiki is completing. Perhaps this was the only way that Miyazaki felt he could enliven the relatively mundane and tranquil world that Kiki's is based upon. It's hard to say.

What I can say, though, is that the film remains as charming today as it has ever been. It's a shame Miyazaki never made more "grounded" works because his version of reality is quite the sight to behold.

I'm ashamed to admit it but I keep putting the show on hiatus because I care about the characters too much. I'm midway through episode 52 but I can't continue incase Reinhard loses, in which case my heart will break. Pathetic but I just can't bear it.

Jarmel

Banned
[Kiki's Delivery Service - 1989

Hayo Miyazaki was a damn fine director. Damn fine/

I must admit, when I consider Miyazaki's great works I often let Kiki's Delivery Service slip my mind. Perhaps this is because it lacks the scale, the conflict, the action and the thematic weight of his serious projects like Mononoke. For whatever reason I rarely give this movie the credit I deserves.

Unlike most of Miyazaki's other works Kiki's operates not just as a traditional narrative but as a series of vignettes, usually based around whatever assignment Kiki is completing. Perhaps this was the only way that Miyazaki felt he could enliven the relatively mundane and tranquil world that Kiki's is based upon. It's hard to say.

What I can say, though, is that the film remains as charming today as it has ever been. It's a shame Miyazaki never made more "grounded" works because his version of reality is quite the sight to behold.

Yea I'm sorry but the climax and the resolution of it was awful. It felt not only cliche in premise but also execution.

Jarmel

Banned
It's a coming of age story. What kind of resolution did you expect?

One where someone's life isn't in danger due to some hamfisted accident and instead something more organic. That was something I expected out of Spider-Man 2, and that's because it's a comic book film.

I've just clicked a link in the tag of a GAFfer (Byakuya769, but he's not to blame). It led me to a YouTube video that happens to be related to School Days, which I planned to watch in the upcoming weeks. I didn't pay much attention to the video itself, but I looked at the list of suggested videos on the right. And of course, the title of one of them has to be a major spoiler for the ending of the School Days:
School Days Ending Uncut with -Makoto's head in bag added

Fuck YouTube.

jgminto

I've just clicked a link in the tag of a GAFfer (Byakuya769, but he's not to blame). It led me to a YouTube video that happens to be related to School Days, which I planned to watch in the upcoming weeks. I didn't pay much attention to the video itself, but I looked at the list of suggested videos on the right. And of course, the title of one of them has to be a major spoiler for the ending of the School Days:

Fuck YouTube.

I already knew the ending before I watched it but I still found it enjoyable.

Fuck YouTube.

It's still interesting to watch. It's just as much about what Makoto does throughout the show as it is about the end.

Joe Molotov

Lupin S3 - 01
The 80's were not kind to Goemon. He gained weight and a stupid haircut.
That aside, this was absolutely dreadful. 100% awful. The low points of Season 2 were better than this. And they made 50 episodes? Fucking hell.

Did you watch S1 of Lupin III too? I really enjoyed those.

Still slugging my way through 155 episodes of S2.

Ghost in the Shell: Arise is on Netflix (U.S.)? Huh. Oh, it's only the first two episodes. Samurai Champloo expires towards the end of the month and Eden of the East early October.

Fuck YouTube.

It was a simple title, no need to
lose your head over it.

Firemind

One where someone's life isn't in danger due to some hamfisted accident and instead something more organic. That was something I expected out of Spider-Man 2, and that's because it's a comic book film.
More organic? I thought they telegraphed and paced it quite nicely. Anyone who has an inkling of history would know it would go south quickly. In the end, the crisis helped in the main character's psychological growth and, whether you agree or not, gave the film a fitting end.

Jarmel

Banned
More organic? I thought they telegraphed and paced it quite nicely. I mean it's a friggin zeppelin. Anyone who has an inkling of history would know it would go south quickly. In the end, the crisis helped in the main character's psychological growth and, whether you agree or not, gave the film a fitting end.

I disagree I thought the nature of the accident was in stark contrast and tone compared to the rest of the film. Instead of something more 'down-to-earth', it turns into this huge life and death event.

G Gundam 18

Crying girls at the end? Check. Sad music to try and get you to feel something? Check. Effectiveness? I laughed? Anyways, that was just something that I found amusing and slightly ironic.

The episode itself wasn't all that bad to be honest. Minimal Domon. Focus on Rain and other girls who have a more interesting backstory. Fight that looked interesting. Girls switching shirts between cuts. The cheap rain effect. The girls talking in unison. A 15 second shot of each girl nodding their heads when they think of a dumb plan.

I don't know. The episode made me laugh more than anything else. I'll give it credit there. :)

Fuck YouTube.

YouTube did you a favor. F that show.

It's still interesting to watch. It's just as much about what Makoto does throughout the show as it is about the end.

I remember the show mentally breaking me for a few days. That was not fun. Never again. Never again. *cries in corner*

mankoto

Argevollen 9
How do you just stand there and get tackled like that. Regardless, he still won though so whatever. This episode was just a giant motivation piece for Schlein, I'm guessing?

Fuck YouTube.

The youtube video with the cake and the guy that's now in prison? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom