• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Zankyou no Terror 8
95691.png

Lisa's amazing cooking skills at work again I see.

Oh joy. So this is when everything just starts to fall apart. I honestly can't really say I'm excited for this series anymore. I like it still, but it feels like it lost its touch.

SAO 2 Episode 10

Lol this show never fails to deliver. So many leaps of logic. Kirito forgetting
he was directly responsible for the deaths of a couple of others in SAO, but no that doesn't bother him. What bothers him is killing two murderers in self defense, but the other one he killed in self defense is forgotten lol

Also the scene
"Oh this is a wide open space, there is no cover for us"

You're the one that willingly drove there lol.

The
robot horse keeping up with the car
was hilarious too. I guess it's video game logic, not a real one, but still you've given little reason to use a car if that can travel just as fast and go off road.

"Hekate. That's a part of me. Nobody else can use it"

"How can he keep so calm in a situation like this?"

Because not everybody is MLG takes video games too seriously girl.

Also her
breakdown and crying as she turned into a weak woman weakly punching him all "baka! baka!"
was hilarious the Sinon fan tears will be mm mmm mm mm mm delicioso.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Can someone tell me how to make webms? Do I need to first find some program to cut a scene from the larger episode, then use that Firefox plugin to turn it into a webm?

Aldnoah Zero Episode 10

Something finally good happens to Slaine. He's set free! He's treated nicely! He gets his very own Kat! Yay!

Theyre a little too sympathetic to Rayet but she will probably come through in the clutch sometime in the series. I also dont think the Princess looks at Inaho in a romantic manner, so Slaine still has a chance.

Dat ending music always gets me hyped. I wanna see some awesome fights next week.

Aldnoah Zero Episode 10

Princess lives, but I didn't think she really died anyway.
You know I'm totally okay with how that was all resolved and they're general reaction to Rayet. Like I said last week Rayet did nothing wrong and since Inaho agrees that makes me right.

Slaine finally catching a break was great to see as well so I'm pretty happy with this episode overall. I look forward to episode 11.

Mr.Jeff

Those are the right VA .

Get used to it since soon you'll go buy every single released of your favorite.

Don't fight it!
Boo! Lack of my all-star VA cast is sadness.

It's going to take a while. From that first episode I'm not really liking any of them outside of Takane. Copious skimming of the episode was required.

Can someone tell me how to make webms? Do I need to first find some program to cut a scene from the larger episode, then use that Firefox plugin to turn it into a webm?

Theres a program easy to use called WebMconverter. Its pretty straight forward, but if you need directions or have questions you can PM me

SHONEN HOLLYWOOD –HOLLY STAGE FOR 49- Episode 10 Sensational Music Room

Lovely episode with all the songs and performances on Sensation Music Room. Kou Osaki and Shonen Hollywood for best performances, Tomii on the scenes, then Makki looking pretty happy (and so funny on set being all nervous and such) was pretty amazing. Their dance was pretty splendid too. I cant wait to see it on BD, I think funi video player seemed to make it too grainy at times. Miss Monochrome was also good to see singing and dancing again too, and the Cherry song wasnt bad either.

Perhaps one of the best talk show type animated segments in awhile.

Defuser

Aldnoah Zero ep 10
pqnapn.jpg

You mean those professionals that got their ass kicked by Martians and needed a emotionless batman teenager to save their asses? Inko please.

Mr.Jeff

Another easy use webm converter for windows. Select video file, add time frames (Ctrl+G in MPC-HC), await result.

Is there like, an agreed upon list of Lupin episodes worth watching?
Requoting this to add my own personal list for the second series.

Episode 20 - Lupin Against The Wall
Episode 29 - The Electroshock Pigeon Operation
Episode 30 - The Wind is Hot in Morocco
Episode 32 - Lupin Dies Twice
Episode 39 - Operation Missilejack
Episode 48 - Lupin Laughs While the Alarm Bell Rings Twice
Episode 57 - Will it be the Computer or Lupin
Episode 58 - The Border is the Face of Farewell
Episode 69 - The Woman the Old Man Fell In Love With
Episode 85 - ICPO Secret Directive
Episode 98 - The Day the Old Man Died
Episode 108 - Zantetsuken's Lament
Episode 112 - Goemon's Close Call
Episode 129 - In Jigen is the Gentleness of a Man's Soul
Episode 137 - The Magnificent Team Play Operation
Episode 145 - Albatross - The Wings of Death
Episode 148 - The Target is 155 Metres
Episode 151 - The Arrest Lupin Highway Operation
Episode 155 - Farewell My Beloved Lupin

Skipped a few episode that I was indecisive about. 145 and 155 are the two greatest easily though. I'd supply reasons but I'm pressed for time just now.

Midonin

Captain Earth 23

There's a part of me that likes these "a world that could've been" stories. By contrasting it with the world our characters have been inhabiting, it can be a good way to draw what's important about them to the front. It's telling that in Daichi's world, Akari, Hana and Teppei weren't in it. The transition out to the final scene was also nicely done. Only two episodes to go.

Aldnoah Zero 10

This show is trying to pair up Inaho and the Princess so hard, all those "how many times have you saved me now?" bullshit. I guess all my hopes for poor Slaine will depend on
whenever they meet up again on her reaction. And assuming he goes to earth to help the princess it shouldn't be too far off maybe even next episode
. I really do hope they don't though, Inaho is such an uninteresting 'badass' character. Slaine isn't the best character ever but at least we can root for him.

SAO2 10

This is character drama done right. Both Kirito and Sinon have suffered some emotional turmoil previously in their life and now is the time for a tell all of each others deep seated issues.

The gun Death Gun uses to kill others just happens to be the gun Sinon used to kill that robber in real life. This has sent her on a tail spin of emotions that she can no longer fight on her own and needs the support of her new BFF to work through it. Kirito also has past problems that are equally as horrific as being 11 years old and shooting someone in the head so he has no problems relating to her. Together they work through their horrific trauma they have both been dealt and can now move on to defeat Death Gun.

Sinon's character design does wonders for these dramatic character scenes. We really get to feel the emotions pouring out of her heart and chest.

mankoto

SAO II 10
Why didn't Kirito
shoot Darth Vader in the back of the head instead of going through all of this?

That was the only thing going through my head the entire time. The exchange of backstories was nice, sure. But this entire episode could have truly been avoided.
Sinon practically falling apart didn't help this episode either

Onii-sama 23

Boring episode full of talking and people not acknowledging that they are just lucky to be breathing the same air as onii-sama. This show should know by now that I don't care about its plot or other characters, unless they are directly related to onii-sama getting his metaphorical dick sucked.

So once again, Sword Art Online ends up being the most entertaining show of the three action shows. I'm enjoying Space Dandy and Barakamon more on saturdays, but those aren't 'serious' action shows.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SAO2 10
So there's literally nothing to say about this episode that isn't any different from a review of any other previous episode of SAO. Kirito is so awesome that the woman that he is conveniently left alone with ends up wanting to have his children. Even the fact that he's some kind of noble warrior monk who regrets taking life is enough to get a woman hot and bothered.

But maybe I'm at a point where I just don't give a shit any more and, as a result, I'm starting to see positives where there probably aren't any in reality.

For example, the climatic scene between Kirino and Sinon after they escape Death Gun:
iArrq7yl.png

NPqeE6jl.png

I was just surprised, and amused, at how hard Sawashiro is trying in this scene. It's like she really, really believes in this role and is acting her heart out here.

You know how at award shows, they'll show a clip of the nominated actor in question in order to illustrate why they were nominated for a performance in the first place?
This is Sawashiro's version of that clip: http://a.pomf.se/luenni.webm

I couldn't help but laugh and think "OSCAR MOMENT" when that scene played out. It just felt so sincere for a scene that is so decidedly cheesy and manipulative in a show that I know is terrible otherwise. There's a part of me that wonders what Sawashiro would be like if she was giving a real meaty role in a text that actually deserves that kind of acting... because if nothing else, I have become convinced that she must care about every role she is given.

I suppose I could be in denial about her motivations - maybe she actually thinks this is a great role and actually cried in the recording booth in order to go full method, Mcconaughey-style.

Midonin

Mahouka 23

This arc's minimal Tatsuya is something of an improvement, but knowing that he's going to become even worse as a character in a few episodes, knowing that'll be too little, too late, and knowing that a thesis competition was exactly as boring on screen as it sounds means that these minute improvements aren't really improvements at all.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Mahouka 23

I really hope people watching this took Physics otherwise you're just going to be wondering how fucking bullshit these explanations are. Not that these explanations aren't bullshit in the first place. Also, the lack of shit happening and just hyping things up is boring as fuck.

Aldnoah 10

Character moving episode.
Princess is alive,
Inaho gives the gun back to the maniac he just disarmed and Slaine is free to do what ever the hell he wants. Of course the princess's words of peace will never reach the right people because the last remnants of Earth are too incompetent to relay their message directly to the king.

mankoto

Aldnoah.Zero 10
Finally, something good happening to Slaine. He deserves this. This first half is going to end with something ridiculous happening. I can feel it.

Sailor Moon Crystal 05

After three weeks, we're finally back to this completely whatever series. I dunno why I'm even watching this, really. It's pretty bad. I now realize what the people shitting on this are saying without knowing shit about Sailor Moon. It's just boring and not good.
So basically they fight evil love powered Ghost Rider and get a new member of Mahou Shoujo clique. Nothing new.
And you're basically a Wizard and you've seen magical zombies and demons and talking cats and shit but a GHOST is too farfetched?
Fuck off Mercury!

Sword Art Online II 10

Oh look,
Sinon didn't actually die.
That was some prime character assassination right there.
It's not even a joke anymore. She just literally fell prey to the dick and became a tsundere.

Aldnoah Zero 10

Oh look,
Hime-sama didn't actually die. And NTR intensifies. And they don't even let Rayet kill herself so something interesting can happen. Maybe Slaine can save us by becoming a Char?
And what the fuck happened to Inaho's ruthlessness when he just shot down Slaine? He just handed Rayet back her gun. The fuck? THE FUCK?

Midonin

Barakamon 09

Survivor: Rural Town didn't last very long, and I liked how the key from an episode or two ago came back into play here.

jman2050

It is interesting that there seems to be little middle ground. At least not among people who post about it online. I'd say I'm really positive about it despite the terrible, now standard it seems, key end.

Hmm, I hated Fuuko and Ryou, didn't care for Kotomi or Nagisa or <insert other side characters no one cares about here>, I liked Tomoyo, Kyou da best girl, Nagisa's parents were the best characters, I disliked half the routes in Clannad and liked the other half, I liked After Story and think it did some things very very well, I still disliked Nagisa throughout the whole thing because she's a bad character, I liked Kyou coming back, I hated Fuuko coming back, and the ending is an abomination that very nearly ruined the entire thing for me and actually might have had it been the anime I saw rather than the VN.

You know, I can't tell if this post disproves your assertion or merely reinforces it. I guess overall I liked it, but more in a "the good half outweighed the bad half mostly" way.

Now Corvo needs to watch Angel Beats to appreciate TRUE suffering.

Aldnoah Zero - 10

Lets not do anything interesting like letting one of the
major characters die
and see how the plot can progress or shake things up.
Instead let the MC with the personality of a rock
revive her through CPR. Then confront the (still at the crime scene) perpetrator with a ghost ninja move (she was looking straight at them and he still got to her, 3 booths away before she could pull the trigger) and successfully soothe her from killing herself.
Why dont they just send him into space alone to defeat the orbital knights and be done with it?

Slaine (and moe overprotective maid) keeps being the reason I go back every week, and now he got his own little toy in which I hope he kills Stone Mcrock and get his waifu

phaze

Aldnoah Zero 10

Inaho solo'd CPR and the disarmament of Rayet. Never change. -_-

If you're going to make a cliffhanger of it, make it fucking stick.

Outside of the terrible anime logic in the first five minutes, it was a decent enough setup episode. More back story on Vers is always welcome. The rise of feudalism in the space of 40 years is still laughable though but I've learned to roll with it by now. Now watch Seylum's father (?) being brought from time space vacuum as the second cour's villain. Sauzbaum's motives puzzle me,
he seems to detest the first invasion and the feelings racial superiority among Versians but his revenge plan includes murdering of billions of people on Earth ? Surely there are more efficient ways of getting back at emperor and his family. As of now he's just realizing the dream of the man he hates.

YuruYuri Season 2 [END]

Thank you YuruYuri for all the laughs. What a hilarious last two episodes. So great.

I have decided this show deserves a full and proper review thingy. I'll get to that later today as I try to blast my through G Gundam. Don't worry Monster. One day I'll get back to you. One day.

TUSR

Banned
Mahouka 23

Does anyone else want to see Ichijou wreck some terrorists as part of the Joint Security Detail?

Crimson Prince owns.

I think Clannad, like most comedies actually needs you to find it funny to be entertaining. When you don't find something funny it's really easy to find problems with it, especially I've found with Japanese stuff where the humour can be very over the top. Personally when I watched Clannad I found it hilarious so when Nagise exclaims that she's been having sex I'm cracking up.
Yes, enjoyment hampers critical thinking.

Ano Natsu de Matteru OVA

What a good OVA. A new OP and ED was created just for this using both Ray and Yanagi Nagi. It's basically an episode you wanted to see even though it doesn't provide much more of a closure to the series. Also, more Kanna -- and she does an armbar!

CorvoSol

So when you're ready to take on another one, remember that Narag and me are available!

After finding out that Narag had planned to get me to watch these episodes? I'm probably not going to do a watch bet any time soon. Trust issues and all.

I remember when [name withheld to avoid shaming] recommended Clannad: After Story to me in the past. I dodged a bullet there.

A bullet implies precision. What you missed was a multi-staged hydrogen bomb, codenamed Ivan, invented by the Soviets with enough power to crack the crust of the Earth because they couldn't be bothered to invent something precise.

I think Clannad, like most comedies actually needs you to find it funny to be entertaining. When you don't find something funny it's really easy to find problems with it, especially I've found with Japanese stuff where the humour can be very over the top. Personally when I watched Clannad I found it hilarious so when Nagise exclaims that she's been having sex I'm cracking up.

The problem with Clannad's humor, as I once explained, is that it goes too far. If Clannad could restrain itself it wouldn't be as bad as I found it to be. Every single thing has to be exaggerated and hammered well past the point of necessity. Clannad could be funny, it just isn't confident enough that it is, and so it telegraphs things in an annoying way for the sake of making damn certain the audience knows they need to laugh here.

At times it almost manages to be funny, like when the Furukawa family are all teasing Okazaki about his interest in Sanae. Even things like this are bungled, though, when the entire scene is brought about by Nagisa getting drunk off a single drink of alcohol.

The show could be what people want it to be if it ever bothered to try. But so much of it is just the most disingenuously insincere grab for emotional response instead of the active effort to achieve that response.

I mean, again, look at the entire end of the show! They build Okazaki's character, have him bury the hatchet with his father, find happiness with his daughter where his father could not with him, and it seems that the show finally has something to say about what it means to be a family and what a family should be about, and then it throws that away for the sake of shamelessly wringing tears from the viewer over the corpse of a child slain by a disease so completely unexplained that it can only be plotitis, and then, atop that, they have the gall to pull away from that and backpedal everything like it was all one big dream! All this while throwing in the most horribly confusing metaphor about a little girl and a robot that makes NO sense within the context of the show's plot.

I'm sorry but Clannad just does not give a fuck. How people can defend this show after the Imperial Fleet of tomfuckery that is that final episode is completely beyond my faculties.

jman2050

Part of me wants to explain the ending to Clannad(believe or not the VN actually explains it! Pretty well too!) but it's still stupid and asspully and renders half the story moot even when you know what's going on so why bother?

G Gundam 17

So glad this show moved from a "who will Domon fight next" weekly show to a show at least trying to tell a story.

Super Sayia---- I mean Super Mode!!!! SUPER MODE!!!!!!

Gundam fights = cool
Rain = Rational, need someone to equalize out Domons stupidity
Neo Germany fighter = awesome
Music at the end = actually really melancholic and nice for the scene

Master Asia = I just find him a very
atypical villain
. Zero reasons given why he's doing what he does and I am sure it's a BS excuse.
Domon = dumb ass, just a terrible character
English dub = probably half the reason I am not connecting with the show. So stilted and bad. But it's my only way to legally watch the show.

Psycho-Pass 8

Well that played out almost exactly as expected. Loose Cannon Cop Kogami is off the case, he's the only one who can find the real solution, and so on.

I have to question why this girl thought it would be a good idea to not only imitate the crazy murder paintings of her father, but to choose victims from her own school repeatedly. Makishima is impressed that Kogami can figure all this out, but what's there to figure out? She basically left instructions to be caught. Granted, the art is apparently obscure enough that they have to visit some bizarre tattoo guy in prison, but still. At worst she left Ikea instructions. Now it's possible that Makishima intended for this to be incredibly obvious, but if that was the case we would have had a ten minute monologue about that already and with how omnipotent he seems at this point there doesn't seem to be any reason for Makishima to jump through those hoops if he wanted to bring Kogami to him.

Also, "I hunt people for sport!" is such an oddly specific cliche.

After finding out that Narag had planned to get me to watch these episodes? I'm probably not going to do a watch bet any time soon. Trust issues and all.

Well whenever you change your mind, it'll probably be best to set some ground rules.

Things like no KEY stuff, set a maximum episode limit, etc. In fact it'll probably be better to stick with shows that are 12-24ish episodes in length when it comes to watch bets in the future. Much less painful to sit through.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom