• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nordicus

RahXephon 23

Sooo, did Ayato just basically say "I will not join you and use your powers... but I'll totally make use of your powers" to his Ishtori? And it/she/he was okay with this? I'm not sure what exactly happened here, but I guess RahXephon singing means something significant just occurred.

Kunugi got the last laugh by nuking the everloving fuck out of that huge flying dreadnought of a dolem. Pretty predictable moment of sacrifice, but it was cool still.

PFnOmPG.jpg
yeVLtTJ.jpg
Ro3l0l1.jpg

Pretty much but then again that didn't happen in The World God Only Knows, it was a bit of a suprise. Though Nisekoi is a different beast altogether and it probably won't be a suprise.
I certainly admit there are exceptions.

But that's just it, it is absolutely shocking when the formula is broken because it so rarely happens.

Onodera is literally perfection, too bad she's trapped in such a terrible show

You know, when you have a very shy character who's willing to take the steps and go outside her comfort zone and have that ruined multiple times due to godly intervention for the sake of stagnating the fricking plot, just no thank you.

That show can go fuck itself. Baseball through the window and random case of Narcolepsy.

Nisekoi had a pretty decent progression up until the final bunch of episodes, then it went to shit.

You know, when you have a very shy character who's willing to take the steps and go outside her comfort zone and have that ruined multiple times due to godly intervention for the sake of stagnating the fricking plot, just no thank you.

That show can go fuck itself. Baseball through the window and random case of Narcolepsy.

Nisekoi had a pretty decent progression up until the final bunch of episodes, then it went to shit.
Because the manga has been dragging it out for ages, I guess the money is just too good to actually let it finish.

Vylash

Nisekoi reminds me of Detective Conan since they're both shows that started out good but eventually descended into complete and utter shit because the author got greedy and decided to drag it out for 50 years

BluWacky

RahXephon 23

Sooo, did Ayato just basically say "I will not join you and use your powers... but I'll totally make use of your powers" to his Ishtori?

Good lord, what translation are you watching here? It's Ixtli, not Ishtori!

Speaking of RahXephon, I've just ordered a canvas print of the "fan art" below by Jun Suemi, illustrator of the Guin Saga novels:

Should be turning up tomorrow.

Nisekoi reminds me of Detective Conan since they're both shows that started out good but eventually descended into complete and utter shit because the author got greedy and decided to drag it out for 50 years

Man Detective Conan is such a joke as far as that goes. Even as a young teenager I grew so darn tired of the shows overarching storyline getting pretty much zero progression.

I mean that Black Organization stuff is basically the main thread. And then you look at this list and just what the fucking hell:

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Black_Organization_Appearances

In over 730 anime episodes (which is an insane number in and of itself) only 55 are pertaining to the Black Organization. And even then, who knows how much 'appearance' even really means.

e:
It's like I picked this avatar for nothing.

Well is he to blame? For how little little that character actually plays a role in Nisekoi (anime at least). Same for Marika.

Dynedom

Speaking of RahXephon, I've just ordered a canvas print of the "fan art" below by Jun Suemi, illustrator of the Guin Saga novels:

Should be turning up tomorrow.

That is legit awesome. I need to re-watch this show. Gotta remember to bring my DVDs back with me from Canada.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Fate/stay night up through 12

Meh.. still calling all harsh critics of this show whiny drama queen man-babies. Is it "omg the bestest animez eVAR!!!!"? No. Is it fun, serviceable, well-drawn and enough to keep me coming back every episode? 12 episodes in and the answer to all of those is yes.

I see a lot of the complaints "they leave hooks for depth that never get fleshed out, they build up to a battle that is anti-climactic, etc" and all I can think of is my least favorite type of review.. "I wish it were this but it's not so I am going to complain." Granted that is most reviews I suppose.. but so many critics in niche media or specific critics in any media like to think "everything should be the best ever and if it's not is sucks" that it's hard to take them seriously (hell, even just in these threads)

anyway I'll finish off the remaining 12 episodes and then start on Fate/Zero.. If it really is better than HOORAY!! That being said I haven't regretted my time with FSN at all.

Actually the only two series I haven't finished are Samurai Flamenco S2 (uggghhhhh.. talk about a series shifting drastically...) and WataMote.. just for it being pretty disturbing.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Penguindrum has some of my favourite episodic stories in recent years (I'm thinking in particular about the assassination episode) and it really has an amazing soundtrack as well. You're right, of course, to point out that as a whole the show doesn't really come together and it's held back by some awkward points but it comes pretty damn close to being great.
I think this is an absurd understatement, to say the least. Although I have went out of my way to forget the series as quickly as possible (much like, say, the last few seasons of Lost or the last season of BSG), so I unfortunately can't account for why I so violently disliked where the show went at the end or how it all (didn't) come together.

cajunator

Banned
I saw that everyone was dropping their twitters so I'll drop mine too
https://twitter.com/Astrogamer

Now to start watching anime

I added you

On a purely academic note, I think the best definition of moe is still:

From Moe - Exploring Virtual Potential in Post-Millennial Japan by Patrick W. Galbraith.

The key part about this definition is that it avoids the obvious pitfall of tying "moe" down to a particular type of character or representation and instead turns the word around to describe the reaction the viewer gets from observing the fantasy character. I feel this makes far more sense.

Thats kind of fits my definition of it. the squee feel I get from a character, not just the characters appearance or design.

added you as well. MIne is https://twitter.com/Jeffrey_Jue

I'm a ken akamatsu supporter , despite the misteps he did.

Tsundere mode on
It's not like i enjoyed "Itsudatte My Santa!" or the stuff he did before love hina or anything of the sort , don't get me wrong , ok ? b-b bbaka
Tsundere mode off

I think that for Love hina he just didn't know where to stop( because of the sucess ) .love hina didn't end well because it didn't end when it should have ended !

I like that Santa OVA too. Im not a fan of Love Hina or NEgima much but I like his work that XX described.

Sabagebu 04

ipZlNxLZYZ4N.gif
ib14BkH9JJVE8H.gif

This fucking show, Momoka is such an entertaining dirtbag, been wanting a character like her since Binbougami Ga, amazing episode and I haven't laughed that hard in a while

I really loved Binbougami Ga and the selfish asshole MC who ended up being likeable so to see a similar character in Sabagebu is refreshing and a joy. Anime needs these characters so we arent always rooting for a doormat.

Uuuuuurgh.... already...? And I have to wait ages for a fig for the shows I like (if it's lucky enough to even get one...)

Still waiting for my KMB fig... wait it's up for preorder! BUY BUY BUY! Wait... January 2015! That's ages away! Boo hoo hoo.

Yeah I was pretty happy to see KMB getting a figurine. I really never expected that!

TUSR

Banned

This is such an apt description of Nisekoi, I hope Chitoge (best girl) wins.

It took me about 3 seconds to find Cajun on Twitter.

Nordicus

Eh, some fansub, who knows.

RahXephon 24

Confessions of love were made, and our multicultural team of mech pilots got utterly wrecked. Looks like Ayato is attempting to survive through the apotheosis (I don't get to use that word enough) with his humanity untouched by keeping his mind on his main goal, which is to keep Haruka safe.

Also, is Ayato blood-related to like 25% of the cast now? And did that cool reporter guy lower his age by 20 years or take off some old man make-up he used before?

I really loved Binbougami Ga and the selfish asshole MC who ended up being likeable so to see a similar character in Sabagebu is refreshing and a joy. Anime needs these characters so we arent always rooting for a doormat.
Amen to that

Firemind

I'm trying to come up with an anime where the actual best girl won and I'm drawing a blank. And I watched a lot of romance/harem/trash back in the day.

BluWacky

Penguindrum is a pointed example of the whole being less than the sum of the parts.

I'm going to slightly disagree with you. I think.

I assume you're coming at this from the point of view of the dropped/underdeveloped plot threads in the second half of the series which make parts of the series seem very rushed - so for instance even though individually the myriad subplots are interesting and entertaining, their haphazard treatment means you have a lesser opinion of the whole show.

I guess what lingers with me about Penguindrum that makes it stronger than its occasionally botched writing and the odd dodgy storyboard is the emotional reaction I had to it. I know this is a poor response to have - letting my heart cloud my mind etc. - but despite the minutiae not really being followed through I found that the overarching themes were handled movingly and interestingly, the writing was tonally consistent and characterful throughout, and the finale in particular is a beautiful culmination of all of that - even with its "oh, here's Tabuki and Yuri again in case you forgot about them! And Masako, too!" moments.

So for me, the whole of the show was much more effective than its parts.

I really must import the Blurays from somewhere. Did it get a complete collection anywhere or is it still in split collections? It never got a Bluray release in the UK and I'm not buying something so beautiful on DVD :(

cajunator

Banned
I'm going to slightly disagree with you. I think.

I assume you're coming at this from the point of view of the dropped/underdeveloped plot threads in the second half of the series which make parts of the series seem very rushed - so for instance even though individually the myriad subplots are interesting and entertaining, their haphazard treatment means you have a lesser opinion of the whole show.

I guess what lingers with me about Penguindrum that makes it stronger than its occasionally botched writing and the odd dodgy storyboard is the emotional reaction I had to it. I know this is a poor response to have - letting my heart cloud my mind etc. - but despite the minutiae not really being followed through I found that the overarching themes were handled movingly and interestingly, the writing was tonally consistent and characterful throughout, and the finale in particular is a beautiful culmination of all of that - even with its "oh, here's Tabuki and Yuri again in case you forgot about them! And Masako, too!" moments.

So for me, the whole of the show was much more effective than its parts.

I really must import the Blurays from somewhere. Did it get a complete collection anywhere or is it still in split collections? It never got a Bluray release in the UK and I'm not buying something so beautiful on DVD :(

For me its just that PenguinDrum is such a bizarre and utterly unique show. the character designs, the art style, the music, the setting and animation...Its just so wonderfully weird. No way in hell I could ignore such a quirky show.

Midonin

the emotional reaction I had to it. I know this is a poor response to have - letting my heart cloud my mind etc. -
That's not a poor response at all. A person's reaction to a series should be just as emotional as it is logical. So much of art is about trying to draw out emotions, and denying their place in a work's evaluation is being dishonest. "Objectivity" is okay when trying to recommend to someone else, but in a review done entirely for yourself, go all the way and make emotions the central thesis. There are several anime that can and should be read that way.

I believe that emotions don't cloud judgment, in many cases, they can enhance it.

cajunator

Banned
That's not a poor response at all. A person's reaction to a series should be just as emotional as it is logical. So much of art is about trying to draw out emotions, and denying their place in a work's evaluation is being dishonest. "Objectivity" is okay when trying to recommend to someone else, but in a review done entirely for yourself, go all the way and make emotions the central thesis. There are several anime that can and should be read that way.

I believe that emotions don't cloud judgment, in many cases, they can enhance it.
Yami to boshi affected my emotions so much I gave it a 10/10

Mature

Well, I guess there's a fundamental misconception of Detective Conan that needs to be cleared up so it wont be treated as a punching bag.

Drag it out? Drag what out? The individual stories are as much the main story as the arcs that surround them. You're mistaking Detective Conan with a battle shounen. The narrative involving the Black Organization is interesting and a large part of the series, but it shouldn't be the hook. The bulk of the series are one-off whodunit mysteries and its been that way since the very beginning. And it's really shitty for you to say Aoyama is "greedy" even though there's zero evidence of that. The guy is legit into mystery and is constantly talking about being enamored by other series like it. He's clearly got a passion for it, and his series is set up in such a way that it can go as long as he wishes, so why not?

Man Detective Conan is such a joke as far as that goes. Even as a young teenager I grew so darn tired of the shows overarching storyline getting pretty much zero progression.

I mean that Black Organization stuff is basically the main thread. And then you look at this list and just what the fucking hell:

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Black_Organization_Appearances

In over 730 anime episodes (which is an insane number in and of itself) only 55 are pertaining to the Black Organization. And even then, who knows how much 'appearance' even really means.
I'm assuming you don't watch the show since you're gauging progression by the number of appearances as if that's some metric by which the overarching story line can be measured. You're telling me you watched the show and you didn't get the direction it was going from the very beginning?

Let's examine the first season:
RDcOYaV.png

I went ahead and crossed out all the episodes that directly involve the overarching storyline. Four. Hell, in more recent years we have whole series of episodes dedicated to BO and other main story things. If anything, it's tilted more in that direction as it's gone on.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Well, I guess there's a fundamental misconception of Detective Conan that needs to be cleared up so it wont be treated as a punching bag.

Drag it out? Drag what out? The individual stories are as much the main story as the arcs that surround them. You're mistaking Detective Conan with a battle shounen. The narrative involving the Black Organization is interesting and a large part of the series, but it shouldn't be the hook. The bulk of the series are one-off whodunit mysteries and its been that way since the very beginning. And it's really shitty for you to say Aoyama is "greedy" even though there's zero evidence of that. The guy is legit into mystery and is constantly talking about being enamored by other series like it. He's clearly got a passion for it, and his series is set up in such a way that it can go as long as he wishes, so why not?

I'm assuming you don't watch the show since you're gauging progression by the number of appearances as if that's some metric by which the overarching story line can be measured. You're telling me you watched the show and you didn't get the direction it was going from the very beginning?

Let's examine the first season:
RDcOYaV.png

I went ahead and crossed out all the episodes that directly involve the overarching storyline. Three. Hell, in more recent years we have whole series of episodes dedicated to BO and other main story things. If anything, it's tilted more in that direction as it's gone on.

image.php

I absolutely loved Penguindrum. I loved to love the character I liked and loved to hate the characters I disliked. At times it was all so surreal in what was happening and how some things that happens didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Oh and I thought the bits that were trying to be funny were funny.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
I absolutely loved Penguindrum. I loved to love the character I liked and loved to hate the characters I disliked. At times it was all so surreal in what was happening and how some things that happens didn't seem to make a whole lot of sense but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

Oh and I thought the bits that were trying to be funny were funny.

now watch Utena and appreciate what happens when that staff makes something actually good!

Kill Me Baby 09

Guest starring a ninja turtle.

What was this episode about again? Oh, yeah, memory loss and other lost items. There's also fishing competitions and other games played. Good thing Yasuna got all the luck. Not so good thing is that it's bad luck.

Is Kirari Moroboshi in this?
Who's who:

On the left, in bunny suit - Nina Ichihara
On the left, in mid-air with raised arms - Akane Hino
Front middle, kneeling with a finger to her mouth - Airi Totoki
Middle, standing above Airi with a green top - Aiko Takamori
Middle, wearing a white top and with another girl's arms around her shoulders - Miria Akagi
Middle, with her arms around Miria - Kirari Moroboshi (I think)
Far back, the left of the two slide girls - Syoko Hoshi
Far back, the right of the two slide girls - Mio Honda
On the right with blonde hair - Rika Jougasaki
On the right with pink hair, behind Rika - Mika Jougasaki
Now that a clearer picture's up, the hairclip confirms it's definitely her.

/XX/

I guess what lingers with me about Penguindrum that makes it stronger than its occasionally botched writing and the odd dodgy storyboard is the emotional reaction I had to it. I know this is a poor response to have - letting my heart cloud my mind etc.
Man, we are talking about a work of entertainment here, keeping into account a general audience in mind that's most probably a fair and intended response the creators wanted! Sometimes I think the need to dissert about reasonings to any impending reaction it triggers uniquely for every one of us somehow kills the fun!

Isn't the whole show like filler if we're going by definition? It's extremely episodic and they might bring in a scene or two of character development. Is that enough to make it non-filler?

Regardless he then went on to enjoy that Choices in my Head anime.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Man, we are talking about a work of entertainment here, keeping into account a general audience in mind that's most probably the intended response the creators wanted! Sometimes I think the need to dissert about reasonings to any impending reaction it triggers uniquely for every one of us somehow kills the fun!
Like, the whole reason Ping Pong succeeded so well was because it used it's strong writing and direction to connect on an emotional level, those aren't mutually exclusive!

cajunator

Banned
Now that a clearer picture's up, the hairclip confirms it's definitely her.

Your dedication to this is very admirable.

Man, we are talking about a work of entertainment here, keeping into account a general audience in mind that's most probably a fair and intended response the creators wanted! Sometimes I think the need to dissert about reasonings to any impending reaction it triggers uniquely for every one of us somehow kills the fun!

For me a show needs only to entertain, and not meet some set of requirements. It just has to keep me watching it. Penguin Drum had me riveted for months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom