• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

Man, we are talking about a work of entertainment here, keeping into account a general audience in mind that's most probably the intended response the creators wanted! Sometimes I think the need to dissert about reasonings to any impending reaction it triggers uniquely for every one of us somehow kills the fun!

It makes it so difficult to defend my opinion, though! Rationally and objectively Penguindrum is flawed - while Envelope's biting indictment of it in comparison to Utena is a little over the top, I do understand where he's coming from
even if it makes me sad :(
- and I would like to have a strong position based in facts as to why I think my opinion is valid other than just "I found it moving/funny/thrilling/etc."

oBS3kZb.png

As expected of Kotaku?

Jex

I think this is an absurd understatement, to say the least. Although I have went out of my way to forget the series as quickly as possible (much like, say, the last few seasons of Lost or the last season of BSG), so I unfortunately can't account for why I so violently disliked where the show went at the end or how it all (didn't) come together.

Wait, so, you're agreeing with me in that it doesn't come together at all?

I went ahead and crossed out all the episodes that directly involve the overarching storyline. Three. Hell, in more recent years we have whole series of episodes dedicated to BO and other main story things. If anything, it's tilted more in that direction as it's gone on.

Oh it never said it didn't start off that way. The issue is that at the beginning everything is fresh to you and so it's easier to tolerate the slow progression of the main arc. But the longer a show goes on the more you grow tired of reappearing aspects of the show. Eventually I wasn't interesting anymore in watching Conan solving their everyday cases in a similar manner. There's just a point where it's no longer funny, or otherwise entertaining to see Conan kick his football into a bad guys face, use Kogoro as a puppet to unravel the case in front of everyone.

The longer it goes on the less interested about the episodic content and long for the overarching storyline to go somewhere. And yes, I remember being fed up by this lack of overall progression when it reached liked the 5th season or so. I simply stopped caring about the show and having watched it since back then. Chances are I'll never touch it again, because it's highly unlikely a show with such a ridiculous episode output means quality.

Vylash

Did Miyako or Kei win? I can't even remember. :lol

based Miyako

Oh it never said it didn't start off that way. The issue is that at the beginning everything is fresh to you and so it's easier to tolerate the slow progression of the main arc. But the longer a show goes on the more you grow tired of reappearing aspects of the show. Eventually I wasn't interesting anymore in watching Conan solving their everyday cases in a similar manner. There's just a point where it's no longer funny, or otherwise entertaining to see Conan kick his football into a bad guys face, use Kogoro as a puppet to unravel the case in front of everyone.

The longer it goes on the less interested about the episodic content and long for the overarching storyline to go somewhere. And yes, I remember being fed up by this lack of overall progression when it reached liked the 5th season or so. I simply stopped caring about the show and having watched it since back then. Chances are I'll never touch it again, because it's highly unlikely a show with such a ridiculous episode output means quality.
My exact thoughts, I lasted over 500 episodes but I eventually realized that I was never going to get any sort of payoff for my time except for poorly thought out cases which have had an obvious decline in quality over the years,I'll watch the final arc in 2050 or whatever but for now it's nothing to me

Man Detective Conan is such a joke as far as that goes. Even as a young teenager I grew so darn tired of the shows overarching storyline getting pretty much zero progression.

I mean that Black Organization stuff is basically the main thread. And then you look at this list and just what the fucking hell:

http://www.detectiveconanworld.com/wiki/Black_Organization_Appearances

In over 730 anime episodes (which is an insane number in and of itself) only 55 are pertaining to the Black Organization. And even then, who knows how much 'appearance' even really means.

You are contradicting yourself.

Think about it. If, as you say, there are only 55 eps about the organization from 730 episodes... then they aren't the main thread! They are more like a main antagonist force put in the backdrop of the series, but the main thread is episodic cases.

/XX/

Like, the whole reason Ping Pong succeeded so well was because it used it's strong writing and direction to connect on an emotional level, those aren't mutually exclusive!
Exactly! It is simply that one needs to understand that enjoying a work on many different levels is a totally fair sentiment to have without over-thinking it at all times. Sometimes we can't even ourselves be sure of what response something will make on us, but neglecting that part alone is giving your back to what makes you yourself. Embrace the feelings as well!

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
It makes it so difficult to defend my opinion, though! Rationally and objectively Penguindrum is flawed - while Envelope's biting indictment of it in comparison to Utena is a little over the top, I do understand where he's coming from
even if it makes me sad :(
- and I would like to have a strong position based in facts as to why I think my opinion is valid other than just "I found it moving/funny/thrilling/etc."

When you get down to it though, "because I liked it" is the most unassailable position there is, but figuring out why you liked it is always a worthy endeavour!

You are contradicting yourself.

Think about it. If, as you say, there are only 55 eps about the organization from 730 episodes... then they aren't the main thread! They are more like a main antagonist force put in the backdrop of the series, but the main thread is episodic cases.

Uhm but how can that be a main thread really if there's little meaningful connection between those episodes... you know, no main thread/line.

But semantics. If you want to call the episodic nature it's main thread then fine. In that case, I really am not a fan of episodic shows that last too long, because it's pretty much impossible that those shows manage to uphold a decent quality and much less so keep me as interested.

cajunator

Banned
Nothing in Cowboy Bebop is filler.
Its episodic but thats not filler.
I would even argue that the first half of Noir isnt filler. Man this is all stupid.

BluWacky

I don't think shows and stories like Detective Conan are designed with the expectation that you are going to watch every single episode/buy every volume of the manga (although I'm sure manga sales would prove me wrong!). You watch it when you're in the mood - it's not strongly serialised, so you can dip in if it's on telly and you want to watch it, like a CBS cop show or similar. Ideally all really long running shows aim for this, as they start to collapse under their own backstories otherwise.

The show's been on the air since 1996. Who's going to have watched all 700 episodes other than an uber-fan? It's like Naruto - the show's been on the air for over 10 years now, and most of the people who started watching it at the beginning will now be grown up themselves and probably don't give a toss. Now there are whole new audiences for these shows.

Jex

[Log Horizon] - 1

So was there some kind of conspiracy to avoid talking about the background art in this series? Because it really succeeded, I had no idea going in how well great it would look:

cajunator

Banned
[Log Horizon] - 1

So was there some kind of conspiracy to avoid talking about the background art in this series? Because it really succeeded, I had no idea going in how well great it would look:

Thats one of the best things about it. Puts it way above that boring SAO setting.

Narag

[Log Horizon] - 1

No one ever talks backgrounds anymore if it isn't Pablo or Shinkai. That looks great though.

[Log Horizon] - 1

I think it just worked so well it wasn't something I actively thought about.

sonicmj1

[Log Horizon] - 1

Perhaps my standards for exemplary background art are too high compared to that wall of Yamato backgrounds from last year, or Aku no Hana, or some of the work in Mushishi. But Log Horizon does have good backgrounds. There's a great mix of fantasy stuff and overgrown urban settings.

jgminto

Love Stage!! 4

Rei continues to be the coolest, he's so awesome. The added scene with the sumo wrestlers was just weird, most of the new scenes fit but that one didn't make any sense at all.

Jex

Perhaps my standards for exemplary background art are too high compared to that wall of Yamato backgrounds from last year, or Aku no Hana, or some of the work in Mushishi. But Log Horizon does have good backgrounds. There's a great mix of fantasy stuff and overgrown urban settings.

Sure, those are some solid examples but I really don't think we see stuff like this in TV anime very often:

lhlarge0ci6d.jpg

BluWacky

Thats one of the best things about it. Puts it way above that boring SAO setting.

Admittedly I only watched an episode or two of SAO but I remember finding the background art quite impressive:

Anyway, the background art for Log Horizon was done by Ishigaki Productions - the link supplied is to their art gallery where you can see their work from a variety of shows and films. Some of the Gintama stuff is particularly impressive if you enjoy fantasy art, but all of it is worth a look.

Kokoro Connect OVA's 14-16

Well I'll be damned, I'm actually disappointed so far (one last episode to go). This time around the show messes up aspects I praised beforehand :/

In short: characters behave oblivious and stupid, drama is too much and too forced.

First of all I'm really not sure where all this Iori depression is coming from. So at the end of episode 13, you know, where she, in tears, finally accepted her friends help and even made things clearer/better with her mom again, Iori suddenly wonders if she actually likes Taichi. Seemed already quite random but, fair enough I guess. Asking yourself if you actually genuinely like the other person you think you're loving is quite reasonable.

But that's not all. Apparently Iori's also no longer feels like her cheerful persona, now she's calmer and withdrawn. Later on she even tells that this is how it always was, her cheerful attitude was just a facade. That, quite frankly, doesn't add up to me. Wasn't she actually constantly adapting her behavior in the past to appease her different fathers? I also never got the impression that her happy appearance wasn't genuine to a decent degree. I'd actually have a hard time imagining Iori just acting her positivity during the times she was helping out others.

The one justification that does make sense to me is her being especially beat down by this Heartseed guy, as she was indeed targeted quite heavily. However it isn't really that and the new phenomena that starts her breakdown. No, she's already depressed and rejects Taichi, seemingly before that phenomena even caused anything major.

So with that, I'm already not quite happy with her characterization at ep14. Weighting my arguments it feels like she's at least somewhat out of character here.

Now the second more annoying aspect is the following:
While feeling like that is one thing, being stupid about it and not just telling the friends, who she does still value a lot, what she's thinking for 2 and a half episodes, that's something else. Damn that, these characters behaved rather smartly beforehand. This is just objectively stupid, especially given what they've been through.

But she isn't even the only one doing so. Taichi, who hears her thoughts during the confession, doesn't get it either. And i mean this is the thought that he hears: "No, I'm not the person Taichi thinks I am."
That sounds pretty clear to me.

However this kind of thought is transmitted to multiple of the other crew members multiple times and still they don't catch on. Sorry, but this is just a typical idiot plot at that point. People being idiots in order to get your desired plot moving along.

Even the bullies behave particularly idiotic this time around. Oh and Taichi's brilliant "I forced myself on her, it's my fault!" speech was the epitome of stupidity.

I went into so much detail because I really wanted to elaborate why I think the show dropped the ball on something I thought it did well beforehand (that being meaningful relationship drama instead of relying on misunderstandings and stupidity).

I was too enthralled by the amazing pacing of Log Horizon to worry about looking at the background. One of the few anime where I would start an episode and before I knew it, it was over.

Jex

Admittedly I only watched an episode or two of SAO but I remember finding the background art quite impressive:

The problem with the SAO art isn't the quality of the individual images, because they tend to be quite striking. It's the lack of a unified art direction that robs the world of any cohesion. Log Horizon, on the other, feels like on cohesive world.

Mature

My exact thoughts, I lasted over 500 episodes but I eventually realized that I was never going to get any sort of payoff for my time except for poorly thought out cases which have had an obvious decline in quality over the years,I'll watch the final arc in 2050 or whatever but for now it's nothing to me
Myself and a few others would probably disagree about an "obvious decline" in quality. I don't know why you're so virulent towards it; the show is extremely inoffensive and amenable in it's execution and pace. Bluwacky was pretty on the point with their description; Detective Conan is a show known to be watched by families together in their living room. It's that accessibility coupled with its riveting and sometimes dark (usually by host of its Black Organization episodes) method of storytelling that make it such an attractive watch.

I was too enthralled by the amazing pacing of Log Horizon to worry about looking at the background. One of the few anime where I would start an episode and before I knew it, it was over.
Recently, Urusei Yatsura has been like this for me. Losing track of time on its account.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
The problem with the SAO art isn't the quality of the individual images, because they tend to be quite striking. It's the lack of a unified art direction that robs the world of any cohesion. Log Horizon, on the other, feels like on cohesive world.
When you move outside the ruins of the city the world can feel fairly plain as far as the fantasy setting goes. It was pretty rare for me to find myself very enthused with the environments in Log Horizon when they so often seem meaningless.

I keep hearing Urusei Yatsura is like the equivalent of anime Simpsons. Would you agree with this statement Mature? It's something that has me very interested in it. A massive cast full of funny people would go a long way. Similar to Gintama with its huge cast.

Jex

I keep hearing Urusei Yatsura is like the equivalent of anime Simpsons. Would you agree with this statement Mature? It's something that has me very interested in it. A massive cast full of funny people would go a long way. Similar to Gintama with its huge cast.

Clearly Crayon Shin Chan is a lot closer to The Simpsons!

(I have never seen an episode of Crayon Shin Chain).

Mature

I keep hearing Urutsei Yatsura is like the equivalent of anime Simpsons. Would you agree with this statement Mature?
In so far that they're both episodic comedies I guess. Are their comedic stylings similar? Probably not. Urusei Yatsura tends to be whatever it wants to be episode to episode. I'm in the thick of it though— better to ask Hito or someone else more qualified. It's really an amazing show (and hysterical). Pick it up!

I've never seen an episode either, but the focus being more on the domestic side does seem like it better fits the bill.

You actually just reminded me that show existed. The dub is absolutely freaking brilliant and hilarious, making all the jokes relevant for western audiences. Whoever wrote the jokes knew what he/she was doing. Gonna rewatch this show now lol.

In so far that they're both episodic comedies I guess. Are their comedic stylings similar? Probably not. Urusei Yatsura tends to be whatever it wants to be episode to episode. I'm in the thick of it though— better to ask Hito or someone else more qualified. It's really an amazing show (and hysterical). Pick it up!
Well I'm convinced. Will add it higher to my backlog, after I finish my watchbet.

BluWacky

I should watch Adult Empire Strikes Back at some point - it's the one Shin Chan film I see recommended over and over again.

Incidentally, looking up Shin Chan movies led me to the Wikipedia page for this one, which is almost entirely incomprehensible...

EDIT: omg all the Shin-chan film pages are terrifyingly comprehensive, apparently there is an Indian otaku who really really likes writing summaries of these films...

New arrivals

Didn't you already buy From the New World?

Anyways.....

-------------------------------------------------------
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 14

Domon is a dumbass. He has some serious social issues. He still acts like the same brat from the first episode.

Dialogue is still cringeworthy but the plot isn't half bad and we are finally getting some decent fights. Twist was beyond predictable because of the really bad foreshadowing.

At least now I am somewhat interested. Before starting this episode it felt like a chore to watch this show.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15

Don't worry guys. "Magic" will save us. Wait since when was magic a thing?

*Also we all talk in unison*

Master Asia isn't all that going by this episode. Pretty convenient how all the
next in line for the shuffle alliance just happened to be gathered in one spot.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 16

A better episode. Unneeded and really forced drama but whatever. The fights were still cool and at this point is really all I am watching for.

cajunator

Banned
Didn't you already buy From the New World?

Anyways.....

-------------------------------------------------------
Mobile Fighter G Gundam 14

Domon is a dumbass. He has some serious social issues. He still acts like the same brat from the first episode.

Dialogue is still cringeworthy but the plot isn't half bad and we are finally getting some decent fights. Twist was beyond predictable because of the really bad foreshadowing.

At least now I am somewhat interested. Before starting this episode it felt like a chore to watch this show.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 15

Don't worry guys. "Magic" will save us. Wait since when was magic a thing?

*Also we all talk in unison*

Master Asia isn't all that going by this episode. Pretty convenient how all the
next in line for the shuffle alliance just happened to be gathered in one spot.

Mobile Fighter G Gundam 16

A better episode. Unneeded and really forced drama but whatever. The fights were still cool and at this point is really all I am watching for.

part 2 just released. I only had part 1.

Shergal

Anyway, the background art for Log Horizon was done by Ishigaki Productions - the link supplied is to their art gallery where you can see their work from a variety of shows and films. Some of the Gintama stuff is particularly impressive if you enjoy fantasy art, but all of it is worth a look.

These guys are pretty good; I haven't watched/barely remember some of the TV series they worked on, but some of those pieces don't look like they'd be used as is in an anime episode. At least, I don't remember Ano Hana being that striking:

CorvoSol

Neon Genesis: Evangelion 26

vBIIObN.jpg

I think everybody's first reaction the final episodes of Evangelion is about the same: "What in the name of Saint Fuck did I just watch?" I mean, shoot, the show's protagonist's reaction is pretty much exactly that at the end of episode 25. Eventually End of Evangelion came out and an explanation was more or less given for what's going down, and I'm not here to rehash that explanation to you, because I trust you're all smart enough to do that yourselves.

I'm also not here to bother you with a detailed explanation of how Evangelion is a story about depression, and how depression makes things which seem perfectly safe hurtful and frightening to you. There's no real need to. Most everybody has heard about this aspect of Evangelion, and it's been talked to death. So, too, has its use of Christian imagery for the sake of creating an atmosphere of mystery.

What I do want to do is take just a minute to really appreciate an aspect of this show that I don't think gets discussed nearly enough. Specifically, how it works as both a brilliant affirmation and subversion of the entire Super Robot genre of anime. Numerous shows have attempted to recapture Evangelion's air of mystery, confusing introspection dressed up as a cheerful little adventure anime, but where all these pretenders to the crown fail is their lack of Eva's spine. That spine being its aim to deconstruct practically everything you know about Super Robots.

Specifically, Evangelion is the biggest contrast to Mazinger Z. Getter Robo and Mobile Suit Gundam, and many other mecha anime run the gamut, but Mazinger Z is important because as the genre's progenitor it plays each and every one of the genre's conventions completely straight.

Consider the protagonists. Kouji Kabuto is a hot-blooded, young, idiot hero. His victories are the culmination of his fighting spirit and the Mazinger's power. The Mazinger is a gift to him from his grandfather, who'd spent his life building it in preparation for conflict with the Mecha Beasts. Shinji Ikari, meanwhile, is a troubled young man who is both a coward and prone to over-thinking things. His victories are less a result of his indomitable will and more often the result of something within him breaking. His father had spent his life building the Evas to combat the Angels. Herein we see that Evangelion dedicates itself to setting itself up as being your standard super robot show while simultaneously preparing for its deconstruction. The Mazinger Z is supposed to grant Kouji the power to be either a God or a Devil, a power which Evangelion Unit 01 also is said to hold.

A large part of the subversion comes in the form of Gendo Ikari. It was for a long time a requirement that the protagonist's father be the scientist who built his mech. Whether it's the Mazinger Z, the Great Mazinger, the Grendizer, Getter Robo, or Tem Ray and the RX-78-2 Gundam. The mech is always the lifetime effort of the good doctor, and his gift to his son. The Evangelion series are also the work of Gendo Ikari, but the large difference is that Kouji Kabuto never once expresses anger at Juuzo or Kenzo for abandoning him, nor is he jealous that Jun and Tetsuya were raised by his father in his stead. Michiru never even speaks ill of her father, whose dedication to his work so consumes him that when his firstborn son dies in a horrific accident, he does not miss a step. Even Amuro, whose relationship with his father is markedly more strained than the others cannot bring himself to speak out against his father's work on the Gundam.

The difference here is clear. Gendo's relationship with Shinji is frigid, and Shinji's jealousy of Rei's closeness to his father is apparent at the show's beginning. Shinji thinks so ill of Gendo that when informed his father burned his hands to save Rei, Shinji automatically and immediately responds "Bullshit!" The show goes to great lengths to demonstrate just how terrible a toll the Evangelion project had on Shinji's mind.

Another factor is the way the Evangelion comes to life. Count on your own the sheer number of times in a Mecha show the hero's mech comes to life to save him at the last second, or in which he addresses it as a living being. The Mazinger Z shares a definite bond with Kouji, as does Unit 01 with Shinji. While every bit as miraculous, the Unit 01 awakenings are portrayed with a horrifying sense of realism befitting a gigantic machine coming to life. Consider the difference between Shin Mazinger Z's rampage, in which it becomes a majestic demon, leaving flames in its wake, and Evangelion Unit 01's awakening, in which it crawls on all fours and howls like a beast.

Yui Ikari plays a principle role in Evangelion in spite of her absence, which is a contrast to the normal set up, in which the mothers of the heroes play almost no role at all. Where is Mrs. Kabuto? Even when present, as Mrs. Saotome was, they have no major impact, or like Mrs. Ray their impact is mitigated and overshadowed by the influence of the hero's father. Yui Ikari, however, is perhaps a far more important character to Shinji than even Gendo, and perhaps more responsible for everything that has happened than Gendo himself.

Then there are the Angels. The fascinating thing about them is that at first glance they seem a callback to the blatantly evil monsters of early Mecha shows. Except that the enemies in early mecha anime weren't blatantly evil, and were rarely ever that hard to understand. The Dinosaur Empire, the Mycenaeans, the Zeon, whoever the villains happened to be, they were almost always presented as an incredibly human group of enemies whose motives were plain and nearly as just as the heroes' themselves. The Angels, on the other hand, are almost incomprehensible for much of the series, and lack a strong leader figure to govern them like Dr. Hell, Ghiren Zabi, Emperor Gore or the like. They're almost a force of nature, rather than a specific, organized threat.

Over the course of the series, Shinji attempts to undergo more or less the same path that all hot-blooded mecha heroes do. He rises, only to fall so that he may burst from the ashes and prove his true worth. For much of the series, though, Shinji fails again and again at doing that. When Shinji attempts to be a hero and save Toji and confront his father using Unit 01, for instance, Gendo quickly gains the upper hand both times. When Kaworu presents Shinji with an unwinnable conflict, rather than doing the impossible and finding a win-win situation, Shinji gives in to one of the two choices. What's most interesting of all, however, is that where much of the series is spent showing how the standard conventions of a giant robot anime would have terrible consequences or be moments of unfathomable horror, the show's ending is almost complete turn about. Shinji's realization that he can change, that he can find love and that he can overcome pain is his doing the impossible and finding a way out of the set parameters.

EDIT: I forgot to add this in earlier, but for posterity's sake, I'd like to further add that a large part of the deconstruction is that of the relationship between Shinji's status as a pilot and his role as a pilot. Mecha anime frequently uses the machine itself to establish the hero's identity. Hell, that's pretty much the entire point of the genre. Whether you're Domon Kasshu or Simon the Digger, your mech is your self, and Anno takes great pains to demonstrate just how that can go wrong for all three of the main pilots in the show.

In Mazinger Z vs The Great General of Darkness shares a number of similarities with Endless Evangelion. Kouji's victory of Dr. Hell and the victory over the Angels both open the doors for the invasion of an unexpected army (the Mycenaean and the MP EVAs from SEELE) against whom they (Kouji and Asuka) cannot win. The battles are interrupted by the arrival of a colossal foe whose power is equal to the Gods (The Great General of Darkness and Rei) and victory is achieved with the arrival of unexpected backup (Tetsuya and Shinji). Shinji's transferal to the role of Tetsuya is notable because the finale is almost about Shinji becoming the kind of hero Tetsuya was. The End of Evangelion is essentially the same as any other SR show: Shinji has reached manhood and comfort in his own self, and is therefore able to handle whatever the world wants to throw at him. Hence the congratulations at the end of the series.

Whether it was Anno's intent to turn things back at the end and show that there's Shonen Heart even in a lump like Shinji, or whether it was simply intended as a sign of hope at the end of a series dedicated to tearing to shreds the infectious hope so inescapable in other mecha series I cannot say. But I find that often ways the best way to end a tragedy is exactly that: with one spark of hope. Regardless, though, I definitely find myself much more appreciative of what Evangelion is now that I know what the shows it was seeking to deconstruct were like.

BluWacky

These guys are pretty good; I haven't watched/barely remember some of the TV series they worked on, but some of those pieces don't look like they'd be used as is in an anime episode. At least, I don't remember Ano Hana being that striking:

From seeing the movie a few months back I recognise that second shot - it's the shrine in the flashback when they're playing hide and seek. Not sure about the first one, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom