• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt35ZGDCEAIsuuj.jpg:large[/IMG]

Why isn't this an actual link though, I want to see these PUA characters.

I bet Kirito is one of them.

Tried watching the first 5 episodes of Marvel's Disk Wars: Avengers. Wish I was younger to enjoy the show more. Vastly better than the serious attempts at Marvel's universe by Japan a few years ago but man... they could have tried a bit harder with the attacks. "Loki uses Cane Blast~o!" ...really?

Guess the Digimon team was pretty bored though.

Even worse is I think this is the best show airing right now... Sword art online 2 put me to sleep in the first 3 episodes. Figured it would get interesting... kinda did... then threw it right out the damn window as expected. Too let down to watch anything else this season lol.

When's Build Fighters coming back?!~

Man you should really watch Terror in Resonance, Barakamon, and Nozaki-kun.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm trying to figure out if pualingo.com is satire, because there's no way that list can actually be serious. There are anime characters who are legitimately PUAs, and employ the same kind of psychological manipulation crap PUA literature expounds, but PUAs that list clearly isn't.

Except for Gene Starwind, I guess.

fertygo

Aria the Animation - END

What a wonderful show, even after only finishing its first season I can safely say this is my favorite slice of life/cute girl doing cute thing show, despite its low production value is very visible on visual front, like the animation that seem like just simple photoshop work for moving vehicle, everything else is magnificent.

The sublime atmosphere and likeable character making the slow pace in every episode is engaging despite "nothing happen" but I'm also surprised nearing the end of the show, they also showing they capable providing exciting twist and supernatural subplot behind this show fascinating world, and gonna unravel little by little like episode 1 of S2 shown, its so damn exciting to think this kind of show gonna have some kind of "grand scheme" later.

Btw the ED from Round Table feat Nino deserve its own mention, its goddamn fantastic.. and I always felt obligated to watch it because its always send off every episode in good note.

Aria the Animation - END

What a wonderful show, even after only finishing its first season I can safely say this is my favorite slice of life/cute girl doing cute thing show, despite its low production value is very visible on visual front, like the animation that seem like just simple photoshop work for moving vehicle, everything else is magnificent.

The sublime atmosphere and likeable character making the slow pace in every episode is engaging despite "nothing happen" but I'm also surprised nearing the end of the show, they also showing they capable providing exciting twist and supernatural subplot behind this show fascinating world, and gonna unravel little by little like episode 1 of S2 shown, its so damn exciting to think this kind of show gonna have some kind of "grand scheme" later.

Btw the ED from Round Table feat Nino deserve its own mention, its goddamn fantastic.. and I always felt obligated to watch it because its always send off every episode in good note.
Another one joins the fold! Glad you liked it!

Midonin

Diamond Dust Drops ~Atsuko~

When a story is linear, the strength lies in people focusing in the flow of events. When a story is episodic, the strength lies in people focusing on the characters. When a series is an anthology, the strength lies in people focusing on themes. Themes are one of the toughest things to draw out of a work and talk about, since it requires a more abstract thinking than the other two. Yet, that's why I like anthologies. Sengoku Collection is wonderful. As for this, I know it's based on a social game, and from my impression of the first two tales, it appears to be equal parts romantic drama, advertisement for Hokkaido and anthology. There's very little about it that couldn't work in live action, though the animation looks nice enough - not always with the most amount of movement, but it looks good enough - to fit the atmosphere.

This isn't normally my forte, but I chose the first volume as a prize back at Supercon, so I should revel in my winnings. Atsuko was pretty likable, and I appreciated seeing a story about marriage that ended with the girl asserting a degree of independence for herself. Then I saw the previews were done by her VA, Eriko Ishihara as herself, and her story is more interesting than anything that happened to her character.

Diamond Dust Drops ~Karin~

While I liked Atsuko better as a heroine, I felt that Karin's arc had the better story so far. The hospital patient is a time-worn storytelling device by now, yet I was satisfied with the conclusion of the story. The themes I'm getting so far are about moving forward, and noticeably, everyone seeking the diamond dust is only looking for it after they've already achieved their goals through other means. The drama hits hard enough without becoming melodrama, and overall I'm interested by what I see.

That OP, though. That's way more poppy and peppy and cheery than I was expecting for a drama series. The ending theme is more in line with the kind of tone the rest of the series has.

Syrinx

Dirty Pair 8

Poor Billy. And poor Yuri. I guess Kei had ultimate faith that Yuri would come back to get her when she told Yuri that Billy was on the ship and followed it by saying that some things are best left unknown. Cause she would have learned the truth the minute she entered that ship.

Still, the whole "promise we made when we were little children" thing is stupid.

Corded phones and phone booths are apparently still a thing in the 22nd century.

Poe's Law in full effect right now.

A bit off topic but there was those two shows/movies recently dealing with Poe. And neither of them were about Poe as a noir detective in a trenchcoat with a raven sidekick who quothed witty retorts.

Is that so much to ask american television? If the Big Bang Theory can stay on the air for as long as it did, can't I have this? I mean you wouldn't even let me have THIS

A bit off topic but there was those two shows/movies recently dealing with Poe. And neither of them were about Poe as a noir detective in a trenchcoat with a raven sidekick who quothed witty retorts.

Is that so much to ask american television? If the Big Bang Theory can stay on the air for as long as it did, can't I have this? I mean you wouldn't even let me have THIS
"Put the bite on crime."
I-I-I can't...

What is up with you and dogs.

Of course, and since 2003 too! As I mentioned before, during the RENEWAL OF EVANGELION project there was done a "HD24P" (that if not specified a number, most probably makes reference to a 1080p resolution) transfer after that new 'Telecine' process for the 35mm film negative. An original press release made mention of that (http://www.tokyo3cn.com/bbs/thread-200-1-1.html), although I can't find anymore another source of it I had saved.

As a bonus, here you have photographies of Mr. Anno having fun during the dubbing of new dialogue for the mix of the new '5.1' track, present on the DVDs that came from that project.

So it really is already done? That makes it even more frustrating. Hurry up and put this out, Anno!

Also, I'm kind of surprised Eva was done on 35mm. For some reason I thought it was done on 16mm, like Nadia.
The three film portions (Death, 25', and 26') were filmed on 35mm while the TV series (broadcast and DC) were filmed on 16mm. As per the press release, the former used the HD24P process (though, as you said, not clarifying which resolution it was done at) while the latter simply says they used standard wetgate telecine transfer to have it be higher resolution (not saying HD). I'd wait to see what Starchild (and Otsuki) put out for the inevitable BD-Box before jumping to conclusions.

Though to be honest, I'd rather have Starchild handling it than any other company at this point. I'm glad they'd do it instead of a lot of other companies.

I-I-I can't...

I know right? I mean we can have a billion movies about golden retrievers doing shit people do, or Johnny Test still existing and pretending it isn't stabbing me in the eyes and the brain, but I can't have this?

Somebody dun goofed.

What is up with you and dogs.

That's like the third time you've asked this. This has nothing to do with the dog as much as the ridiculous premise.

CorvoSol

Poe's Law in full effect right now.

vBIIObN.jpg

Ojamajo Doremi - 3

All right, character rankings as of episode 3:

Hazuki > Aiko > Doremi

Come at me. :p

This show is actually kind of nice. Despite the obvious fact that it's aimed for children, I feel that it's less in-my-face about it than Precure is. Which I like.

Aiko's backstory has an air of sadness to it and any adult can see
that her cheerful attitude only serves to hinder the pain of having no mother that she tries to hide not just from others, but from herself as well.
There's some decent subtlety and atmosphere in this show. Such a shame that 4Kids had to be the ones to get their hands on it and do what they usually do. Ugh >_<.

I remember the first time I watched Eva I thought all that Christian symbolism had some deeper and I got really into looking into it.

Then the overall feeling I came away with after looking into it was basically "Nah bro Anno just threw that shit in there. That Christian symbolism is not nearly as deep as it looks."

I know right? I mean we can have a billion movies about golden retrievers doing shit people do, or Johnny Test still existing and pretending it isn't stabbing me in the eyes and the brain, but I can't have this?

Somebody dun goofed.

That's like the third time you've asked this. This has nothing to do with the dog as much as the ridiculous premise.

Why was it cancelled unless it didn't air on TV.

Yikes, the first episode of GTO is 48 minutes long.

There better not be a scene where two guys are walking around somebody in circles while spewing exposition Woofington. :p

Yikes, the first episode of GTO is 48 minutes long.

There better not be a scene where two guys are walking around somebody in circles while spewing exposition Woofington. :p

Nope. But word of warning Onizuka is a bit perverted at points, but don't think that's the whole show. It's not even about that. Ignore the few lewd scenes the show has.

Branduil

Terror in Resonance 4

Shibazaki and the police continue to be at least one step behind Sphinx. Essentially everything so far has gone according to whatever master plan they're working towards, so it'll be interesting to see what happens once that changes. It's nice to see Lisa finally interacting with the other characters again.

The storyboarding, editing, art direction, and sound design of the show continues to be nearly perfect. The last five minutes were sublimely executed.

Terror in Resonance 4
Interesting puzzle though I figured it was about time for
an information bomb. A little disappointed in them not revealing anything more damning. This is completely a game though with that solution
. Lisa is practically on the cusp of joining them too but I bet most expected that.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
For all the befuddled reaction .gifs I thought the motorcycle scene in Terror was incredibly dumb. Neither character has showcased anything emotional that would earn a scene like that, and the ties between the two are tenuous at best. Top it off with the pointless and illogical police presence and you wind up with a scene that feels like it existed well before the rest of the plot. And honestly the dialogue is some of the cheesiest stuff imaginable. The whole, "I haven't laughed this way in so long" bit had me laughing. Genuine human interaction is such a rarity in the series at this point that I guess it doesn't take much for people to be impressed. Nice song though I guess.

Branduil

For all the befuddled reaction .gifs I thought the motorcycle scene in Terror was incredibly dumb. Neither character has showcased anything emotional that would earn a scene like that, and the ties between the two are tenuous at best. Top it off with the pointless and illogical police presence and you wind up with a scene that feels like it existed well before the rest of the plot. And honestly the dialogue is some of the cheesiest stuff imaginable. The whole, "I haven't laughed this way in so long" bit had me laughing. Genuine human interaction is such a rarity in the series at this point that I guess it doesn't take much for people to be impressed. Nice song though I guess.

But you didn't fast forward through it!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Of course not. It was the only thing that could be interpreted as a personal moment in the show. It also felt new, which was surprising for a series that seems to repeat itself so much.

zulux21

tokyo ghoul episode 5

This episode is a mixed bag for me. On one hand a lot happened, on the other hand some of it happened to fast.
I also question gourmet's actions here... I mean despite his creepiness I feel that he is an intelligent character... and that if he ate all of this special meal right now he wouldn't be able to have any later... so why not abuse ghoul regeneration and just take him prisoner and remove some of his flesh, let it regen, and do it repeatedly?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I find your dismay so very amusing, that I would dare fast forward though shit I thought was tedious to get back to the part I liked watching.

Branduil

Anastasia is a clumsy attempt to ape Disney movies that trivializes real historical people and a complex, violent revolution from less than a century prior.

Terror in Resonance 3

somebody put Shibazaki's head on this:

tumblr_inline_mj9a8s6hPd1r80p9c.gif

Hahahaha. Nice. That's actually what I was thinking about when I watched the episode earlier today.

Fast forwarding or playing a show and walking out while it's playing doesn't do anyone any favors. Especially when your trying to give impressions on an episode. Why should anyone take your impression seriously when you do any of the above?

Branduil

I find your dismay so very amusing, that I would dare fast forward though shit I thought was tedious to get back to the part I liked watching.

I feel like the problem is that you're viewing it as a "budding romance." Then again, I guess it's natural to misunderstand characters if you fast-forward through all of the scenes with them!

tokyo ghoul episode 5

This episode is a mixed bag for me. On one hand a lot happened, on the other hand some of it happened to fast.
I also question gourmet's actions here... I mean despite his creepiness I feel that he is an intelligent character... and that if he ate all of this special meal right now he wouldn't be able to have any later... so why not abuse ghoul regeneration and just take him prisoner and remove some of his flesh, let it regen, and do it repeatedly?

He'd have to be very sadistic. Instead he's a pervert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom