• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I've only seen maybe an episode or so of Eva. Also haven't watched more than four or five episodes of Cowboy Bebop. Overhype kills these things for me - I don't want to watch them because everyone says they're amazing, basically. I do at least own the Bebop BDs but I just never get around to watching them.

I'm sure there are some other sacred cows I could think of - back when I got into anime it was admitting to not seeing things like Ranma, or Trigun, which of course have now both declined a little in terms of popularity. I've still only seen an episode or so of each of them.

Are you some kind of firehawk-alt???

wonzo

Banned
I just finished Eureka seven and now I want more.

How is AO and the movie?
e7mar.jpg

cajunator

Banned
Kino's Journey 1

Well you've got my attention anime. I feel like the show will be like a less depressing Casshew's Sin. In fact to be completely honest a lot about the dialogue, conversations, situation and tone felt like it. But it ended up being a show that didn't need to resort to the look-out-a-rainy-window depression. There definitely was melancholy to it, but never overly so. My biggest disappointments with the show right now are two nitpicks that should disappear with more episodes down the line:

1. The constant wisdom quotes. Both in how they're delivered and how it needs to be told back to me in quote form. Feels like whoever wrote the show really enjoys how poetic they feel and reminds you about the line later on. Maybe there's an actual use for these quote transitions outside of the explanation of the character and the world.

2. When I read the synopsis and I got to the part about the talking bicycle I wasn't expecting that voice to come out of it. I was hoping for one of those deep manly sounding voice AI companions. There was nothing inherently wrong with the VA, it just stands out a bit as of right now since the other robot/machines had voices that fit their role better. His sounds like anime Winnie the Pooh.

I really do hope the show keeps the Gulliver's Travels meets Fallout vibe to it and explores a sci-fi setting alongside different societies and their shortcomings. As to the shortcoming of this episode's people, well no duh. For a city with genius scientists who came up with that technology they really didn't seem to have practical people who could spot the problem miles away.

Hype! Looking forward to it this Saturday. My friends and I want to go early saturday to avoid huge night crowds. Great to see stellar critical scores in RT and people reviews in GAF. Also looking forward to the comedy. Did Vin Diesel and Bradley Cooper do a good VA job? It felt so weird to have their two biggest star powers behind CG characters.

The quotes show up now and then but dont really get in the way. Sort of unnecessary but given how good the show is, it never bothered me.
the motorrad voice is a bit weird but I prefer the english dubbed one.

Kino's journey has a lot of ways to shock and disturb hou under a veneer of normalcy. How nonchalantly characters will do or say things you never expect but in the context of the show it makes total sense.

there is a bit of sci fi element in some of the nations but its mostly a bit futuristic dystopia.

Did that ever get a BluRay?

Yes indeed it did! I was so happy too!

Jex

He/she is not wrong. There is a pretty boy pilot and... that's it. For the life of me I can't remember what else he is/did. It is about fifteen years ago last time I watched it though.

ur face bro

urrrrr faceeeee

(By which I mean thanks for the insight!)

jman2050

Anastasia is a clumsy attempt to ape Disney movies that trivializes real historical people and a complex, violent revolution from less than a century prior.

Still not as retroactively uncomfortable as Pocahontas.

It's actually kind of impressive looking back that that movie even got made.

Jex

interesting idea
poorly executed with terrible one dimension characters that they later try to add a second dimension to but more just feels like they broke and become different characters. pacing isn't great, and the ending is a train wreck due to them running out of budget. replacing the last two episodes with the movie instead helps but I don't think I would ever rate eva above a 7/10 even when I first watched it a decade ago. I probably consider it a 6/10 at this point which is just pretty average.

my general thoughts are about 15% of the story told is actually really solid story telling while the rest is just poorly done or pointless just there to fill out time. aka an above average setting with a below average cast and implementation of the setting resulting in an overall anime that really isn't anything special to watch.

note: I do still have to watch the new movies (I am waiting for them all to come out lol), and I have heard they do a lot better job with the characters where they actually feel like real characters instead of robots programmed to act a single way with an if command that if triggered they act a different way instead.
They are, doesn't change the fact that most people who love eva tend to try to dig really really deep to find more.
shinji = whiny bitch
asuka = bitch
rei = 0 (yes it makes sense that she is that way, and her story has more to it but the character itself really doesn't)
shinji's dad = dick
drunk girl who owns a penguin that starts with an m ... yeah she is pretty standard drunk girl
ect

they try in the second half to make them a bit more (
asuka becames a broken loser the rest stay about the same
) but in general they are horribly done and poorly developed.

PS: no need to try justifying that they have more depth then I give them... I have had people try I just don't see it and I don't care enough about the series to bother trying to see it anymore. If you find they are well developed characters, that's fine, I am glad you enjoy them, to me they are text book examples of how to make boring unlikable characters.

Well, thanks at least for explaining your position, but I can't really add much except to to say that I disagree with you on just about everything, apart from the fact that the show obviously had production problems. You are, however, completely and utterly and shockingly wrong about the characterisation, which is easily the strength of the show. Your crude, reductionist description of the characters seems to suggest that you didn't fully engage and understand the material because you appear to have a very limited understanding of it.

Jex

Dirty Pair 9

They just blew up a planet with thousands if not millions of innocent people on it by accident. Oh Dirty Pair, when will your silly antics cease?

The Dirty Pair are the two biggest mass murderers in all of anime. And it's always played off as a joke!

Narag

First they make us suffer through an already lengthy adaptation, now this? Yikes.

This fits with my theory that Iso has been animated all of Dio's World himself since the show first started with Phantom Blood and bahi deleted that cryptic tweet about seeing him. He's coming back to finish what he started twenty years ago.

CorvoSol

I just finished Eureka seven and now I want more.

How is AO and the movie?

From my ongoing catalog of shows I've watched:

The Book of Corvo said:
Eureka Seven Pocket Full of Rainbows- What if one morning you got up and someone had skinned your wife alive and then put her skin on and pretended they were her? And it was obvious they weren’t, but they insisted they were? That’s Pocket Full of Rainbows.

Eureka Seven Astral Ocean
- This show is like if someone raped your wife to death, while making your children slit her throat with plastic spoons. Then broke one of her ribs out, painted a picture of your mother on it with your children’s vital fluids, put your dog’s head on for a mask, then broke into the prison where you were being held and shanked you with it in the showers when you were at your weakest and most vulnerable. Then asked you why you didn’t love them.

So at roughly 2am, being unable to sleep and all, I checked this thread and see people calling Evangelion's characters one-dimensional, even going down that "Shinji's just a whiny bitch" route.

Just... no.

Calling Shinji one-dimensional and being a mere whiny bitch all the time is just something I cannot agree with, when this is a character that feels so very human and so, so very justified in his behavior. He also has plenty moments where he isn't just moping around for what it's worth. And moments like the one where he's relived and happy about finding Rei alive after destroying Ramiel feel so much more genuine than most other victory celebrations. After all, this is a character I can emphasize with.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Tokyo Ghoul - 5

It's been a while AnimeGAF. Life has been heavy with me but I still find the time to enjoy the finer things in life.

I just wanted to say: "The Gourmet" is a shit-hot amazing character <3

Shergal

Terror in Resonance - 4
Is it possible to only be watching a single series this season and be 100% sure that it's undisputedly the best thing airing?
It is definitely possible, as illustrated by your post, but you're also prone to being wrong. Space Dandy is currently on the air.

zulux21

Your crude, reductionist description of the characters seems to suggest that you didn't fully engage and understand the material because you appear to have a very limited understanding of it.
more like limited memory of it, not understanding >.>;

in my defense it's been 10+ years and 500+ anime series since I last watched eva, I don't remember the little details, I don't remember the conversations that went on and on with my friend about how deep and engaging the series was after I watched it and wasn't impressed by it even though I noticed most of the things he was talking about (I just remember they exist and he really loved Rei). I don't remember the characters that well aside from the fact that I hated every single one of them (aside from the penguin it's alright) and found them to be terribly written. That's the best I can do to defend myself now since it's been so long and the show wasn't that interesting when it was fresh. At this point all I really remember is my feelings towards the show (it's nothing special) my dislike for the characters and my disappointment that with such a interesting setting/premise that it fell flat on its face. I don't remember in detail why I feel that way though.

Shergal

more like limited memory of it, not understanding >.>;

in my defense it's been 10+ years and 500+ anime series since I last watched eva, I don't remember the little details, I don't remember the conversations that went on and on with my friend about how deep and engaging the series was after I watched it and wasn't impressed by it even though I noticed most of the things he was talking about (I just remember they exist and he really loved Rei). I don't remember the characters that well aside from the fact that I hated every single one of them (aside from the penguin it's alright) and found them to be terribly written. That's the best I can do to defend myself now since it's been so long and the show wasn't that interesting when it was fresh. At this point all I really remember is my feelings towards the show (it's nothing special) my dislike for the characters and my disappointment that with such a interesting setting/premise that it fell flat on its face. I don't remember in detail why I feel that way though.

If it's been 10 years and 500 series since your first watch, you might find something new if you go back to it.

EVA gets polarizing with many viewers and a reaction like yours is not uncommon on first viewing, but if approached with more intent to understand and dissect it pays off in other ways.

TBH I don't feel the script in particular is very good about characterization, but Anno and his episode directors go into great length to transmit ideas visually. Not just about characterization, either, EVA's directing even for the typical Robot moments is so flavourful it's hard to rival it.

Defuser

Tokyo Ghoul ep 5
Man, Miyano Mamoru is a fucking excellent choice to be the gourmet, I'm practically laughing at almost of all his scenes because he was hamming it up so awesomely.
FORTISSIMO!!!! TRESS BIAN!!!

Gazoinks

Barakamon 2-4

This show was a really nice surprise. Funny show, buoyed by a pretty charming cast of characters. Naru's one of the best child characters I've seen in an anime in a while. I like the small-town setting, as it lets the show set a relatively laid-back tone that makes it easy to relax and get into. Feel-good show of the season for sure.

zulux21

If it's been 10 years and 500 series since your first watch, you might find something new if you go back to it.

I do plan to watch it with my wife at some point, my feelings towards it being nothing special aside, due to my respect for what it's done for the anime industry and how popular it is in general I still feel it's a show everyone should watch at some point.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
I'm a massive-assive Fate/Illya fan. But due to certain circumstances, I've missed the last 2 episodes. I really want to see them, but I'm also really sleepy. Will they wake me up or are they kinda laid back?

Link Man

Banned
So it seems you can now watch Hulu on Android devices without needing to subscribe to Hulu Plus. This is a game changer for fans of anime.

BluWacky

The Seven Deadly Sins staff:

Director: Tensai Okamura
Series Composition Shôtarô Suga
Character design: Keigo Sasaki
Production: A-1 Pictures

Cast:

Meliodas: Yuuki Kaji
Elizabeth: Sora Amamiya
Hawk: Misaki Kuno

Okamura has me tentatively interested, but I assume this is a battle shounen?

Thoraxes

well AO can be somewhat enjoyed if you pretend its a completely differenf world from E7. Also if you really like Chiaki Omigawa (which I do)
Hell yeah!

Sometimes I feel like the only one who enjoys having a full adaptation of Stardust Crusaders.

You aren't alone. I'm someone not familiar with any of the material outside of the anime, so i've been enjoying how much there is. Every week is a new smile on my face with each new episode.

Soma

The Seven Deadly Sins staff:

Director: Tensai Okamura
Series Composition Shôtarô Suga
Character design: Keigo Sasaki
Production: A-1 Pictures

Cast:

Meliodas: Yuuki Kaji
Elizabeth: Sora Amamiya
Hawk: Misaki Kuno

Source: http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-25834.html
Staff seems pretty promising.

Looks like I got a Fall show to forward to besides Mushishi S2.

And Build Fighters Try whenever I get around to watching the first season

Terror Fun 4

Very well done end scene featuring characters I don't care about in the slightest. I'm really curious on how both sides will be portrayed when this is all over, because right now I got no idea. I'm expecting it to not really sit right with me, but at least the dynamic between Shibazaki and the terrorist duo remains interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom