• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terror in Resonance 4

Shibazaki continues to be the most interesting person in the show with his observations and nose to the grind stone approach to finding the boys. Whereas I feel Lisa continues to be forced onto the story to keep the two boys interesting and give them something to fight over.

Shergal

I suppose, ultimately, that all of it can be boiled down to interpretation, though. As it is, if we're following the crazy theory that ReBuild is a sequel to Evangelion, who can rightly say what the ending means anymore, but when viewed as an independent and self-contained work, I think it's impossible to say that Evangelion ends on a sour note when Shinji is applauded for his realizations and speeches are given about the will of all life on Earth to live and be reborn.

This is why I feel that the TV ending as a stand-alone becomes much tighter thematically. EoE casts all those doubts you expressed, because even if the 'main theme' is about one thing, there's all these other factors and issues highlighted by the film. This isn't a problem in the TV version because
-It's pretty much all about Shinji
-The way it's presented (a stroke of genius) is such that the thematic and character psychology concerns become all of the concerns. We don't have to deal with what happens to Asuka in the beach, or whether or not people in general will actually try to become individuals again.

Of course it also ends much more conclusively with the 'Congratulations', instead of two half-dead broken people trying to strangle each other on the beach of the apocalypse. I think, as a single piece of work, EoE is cooler than the TV show because it's a well-directed film with land-mark and revolutionary action animation, but as an ending to the 24 episodes that came prior, it's not nearly as powerful and lacks that boldness of the original (whether or not it was due to production constraints is perfunctory, really, considering they could've just done the same thing everyone else would do, release the episodes half-finished).
-------
...I feel like I insisted enough with this so I'll let it go after this post, lol.

CorvoSol

This is why I feel that the TV ending as a stand-alone becomes much tighter thematically. EoE casts all those doubts you expressed, because even if the 'main theme' is about one thing, there's all these other factors and issues highlighted by the film. This isn't a problem in the TV version because
-The way it's presented (a stroke of genius) is such that the thematic and character psychology concerns become all of the concerns. We don't have to deal with what happens to Asuka in the beach, or whether or not people in general will actually try to become individuals again.

Of course it also ends much more conclusively with the 'Congratulations', instead of two half-dead broken people trying to strangle each other on the beach of the apocalypse. I think, as a single piece of work, EoE is cooler than the TV show because it's a well-directed film with land-mark and revolutionary action animation, but as an ending to the 24 episodes that came prior, it's not nearly as powerful and lacks that boldness of the original (whether or not it was due to production constraints is perfunctory, really, considering they could've just done the same thing everyone else would do, release the episodes half-finished).
-------
...I feel like I insisted enough with this so I'll let it go after this post, lol.

Honestly I think the best choice is to watch both at the same time.

Acti

Tokyo Ghoul Episode 5

I know that the show is over rated by a lot of people, but holy shit. This episode was pretty awesome. And I thought that Nishiki was a giant prick, nice side story of his life. The final scene pretty nice. Sometimes I just forget that Touka Kirishima is half ghoul.

Question: Ghouls can't eat other ghouls right?

cajunator

Banned

-------

I liked the ending from the TV show better for that reason. Eva was always a psychological story disguised as a super robot show but even though it didnt end with a bang it said more about the main character than a thousand other shows. EoE was just made as a fuck you dismissal to the fans although I kinda liked that aspect of it too.
Overall though congratulations > strangulation at the beach

TUSR

Banned
I liked the ending from the TV show better for that reason. Eva was always a psychological story disguised as a super robot show but even though it didnt end with a bang it said more about the main character than a thousand other shows. EoE was just made as a fuck you dismissal to the fans although I kinda liked that aspect of it too.

I really enjoyed the EoE ending, Asuka and Shinji live and pretty much everyone else is a blob.
i know this isnt EXACTLY what happened, i wanted to keep it short

Clov

Eh, I don't see how it was a dismissal at all. It might be a bleak, ambiguous film but I don't see how that makes it dismissive to the fans.

"Congratulations" is definitely a good ending, but the beach scene is much more interesting I think. There's a lot you can read into that scene, even though only two words are spoken. A truly unforgettable conclusion, I think.

Gazoinks

I am an anime fan that has never actually sat down and watched Evangelion.

Only watched like, half of episode 1 years ago.

Me too. I watched the first couple of episodes years back, but I was too young to really get into it at the time. Need to really sit down and commit to watching it.

I still need to watch it too.
Me too. I watched the first couple of episodes years back, but I was too young to really get into it at the time. Need to really sit down and commit to watching it.
I envy you all, because you can potentially wait until the inevitable Blu-ray release to experience it for the first time.
Haven't watch either evanjelly or ghosty in the shellsy.
I don't think either one would be up your alley.

As you know I am not a big mech fan anyways. So it should come as no surprise that I haven't watched Evangelion. Always been interested to watch it though.

But then again I have always heard...... not so good things about it. I don't know.

Clov

I envy you all, because you can potentially wait until the inevitable Blu-ray release to experience it for the first time.

It'll probably be a few more years before they finally get around to it. I'm guessing they'll do it around the time of or soon after 4.0's release.

The series would look great in HD. More importantly, it needs to happen so EoE can get a BD. That's one film that really needs a BD release; especially in the West given how bad the quality of Manga Entertainment's DVD is.

cajunator

Banned

Its worth your time. I watched it at the height of its popularity and that was pretty enjoyable seeing how people reacted to it for the first time in the US. It made some incredible waves.

It'll probably be a few more years before they finally get around to it. I'm guessing they'll do it around the time of or soon after 4.0's release.

The series would look great in HD. More importantly, it needs to happen so EoE can get a BD. That's one film that really needs a BD release; especially in the West given how bad the quality of Manga Entertainment's DVD is.
Don't remind me. :| Everything is probably already remastered and they are sitting on it.

Tokyo Ghoul 5

Whoa whoa here she comes! Watch out anime character she'll chew you up! Whoa whoa here she comes! She's the maaaaaaaaaaaan eater!

This show continues to balance on the fine line of MEH. I am only watching it now because I keep being told MC turns into a badass. I'm waiting. Everything else is just eh.

cajunator

Banned

So around the time I am 50.

BluWacky

I've only seen maybe an episode or so of Eva. Also haven't watched more than four or five episodes of Cowboy Bebop. Overhype kills these things for me - I don't want to watch them because everyone says they're amazing, basically. I do at least own the Bebop BDs but I just never get around to watching them.

I'm sure there are some other sacred cows I could think of - back when I got into anime it was admitting to not seeing things like Ranma, or Trigun, which of course have now both declined a little in terms of popularity. I've still only seen an episode or so of each of them.

while I can respect what eva was trying to do, and it's overall effect on anime in general... it really isn't anything that special in general.

i know it gets weird later on, but up through episode 12 it's pretty much just been monster of the week stuff. i put it on hold quite a while ago so i'm probably gonna have to rewatch it if i want to get back into it.

Kokoro Connect Episode 10 E

Sheesh Balloon Vine is one emotionless troll like Kyuubei from Madoka.
Making Inaban panic over Taichi falling. Furthermore Inaban and Nagase are gonna fight fair and square on wining over Taichi.
It was nice seeing Yui and Aoki interact together.

The best part of this episode was seeing Inaban get emotional and that smile of hers was great too. I gotta say Miyuki did a really great job in her role especially in this episode.
Yeah if Inaban is not the best girl I have nothing to say. Like what does Iori have over her.

cajunator

Banned
I've only seen maybe an episode or so of Eva. Also haven't watched more than four or five episodes of Cowboy Bebop. Overhype kills these things for me - I don't want to watch them because everyone says they're amazing, basically. I do at least own the Bebop BDs but I just never get around to watching them.

I'm sure there are some other sacred cows I could think of - back when I got into anime it was admitting to not seeing things like Ranma, or Trigun, which of course have now both declined a little in terms of popularity. I've still only seen an episode or so of each of them.

Forgive the cliche but these are really shows that if you didnt watch them in the 90s or early 2000s you probably wont appreciate them as much now that many other shows have come along and diluted the formulas.

Clov

Don't remind me. :| Everything is probably already remastered and they are sitting on it.

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Want to know what's worse though?

After it eventually comes out in Japan, it'll still be a while before it officially releases in the West. For reference, look at how long it's taking Funimation to even release 3.33 here.

Nafe

Narag have you seen this Mazinger Z vertical shooter from 1994?

I just relate everything to Robot Girls Z since I haven't seen any of the shows. The mid-boss in the first level is then more "that's the robot representing the girl in the black leotard and vest. The other one is the girl with the cute snake hand sock puppet things she uses to talk with.",haha.

The boss of the second level is a robot disguised as a flying statue of liberty,haha. Does that happen in the show or is it just something they put into the game for some reason?

It honestly wouldn't surprise me if that's the case. Want to know what's worse though?

After it eventually comes out in Japan, it'll still be a while before it officially releases in the West. For reference, look at how long it's taking Funimation to even release 3.33 here.

isn't that more of a dubbing thing, though? unless they opt to redub the series (which they very well could), i don't think the wait should be terribly long.

Clov

isn't that more of a dubbing thing, though? unless they opt to redub the series (which they very well could), i don't think the wait should be terribly long.

3.33 was already dubbed a while ago, for the limited theatrical release it had earlier this year.

How should Neon Genesis Evangelion be watched? Through the TV series or the Movies. I've been wanting to watch it but I don't know which version to see first.

Clov

How should Neon Evangelion Genesis be watched? Through the TV series or the Movies. I've been wanting to watch it but I don't know which version to see first.

First watch the original TV series, then watch the movie End of Eva. The movie Death and Rebirth isn't really necessary, I think. The Rebuild of Evangelion movies are seperate from the older stuff, and they're not nearly as good. 1.11 and 2.22 are a lot of fun though, so you can watch those if you like. Personally I'd do it after the original material.

Terror in Tokyo 4

While definitely one of the highlights of the season, what's preventing this from being a genuinely amazing show is the characters. If you're going to do a cops vs robbers show and going to focus as much as you are on the cops, you need to make them an interesting group of folks I could get behind. And they're not. Western tv already knows this, they've perfected cop dramas.

As to the terrorist kids, I still don't know all that much about them to care about their characters or their actions. I'm just watching events unfold in a Death Note fashion as one side tries to prevent the secret attacks of the other in a race against time. There's not a single character I like. Just like what's-her-face and her drugged up face the whole episode, it feels like that sort of high effect of looking at things but not processing what's happening.

The directing itself is great, so is the animation and art style. The writing wants to be more than it is, but it is failing. And I hope to be proven wrong. But get me excited or get me invested.

zulux21

How so? I have heard Eva called many things, average is not one of them.

interesting idea
poorly executed with terrible one dimension characters that they later try to add a second dimension to but more just feels like they broke and become different characters. pacing isn't great, and the ending is a train wreck due to them running out of budget. replacing the last two episodes with the movie instead helps but I don't think I would ever rate eva above a 7/10 even when I first watched it a decade ago. I probably consider it a 6/10 at this point which is just pretty average.

my general thoughts are about 15% of the story told is actually really solid story telling while the rest is just poorly done or pointless just there to fill out time. aka an above average setting with a below average cast and implementation of the setting resulting in an overall anime that really isn't anything special to watch.

note: I do still have to watch the new movies (I am waiting for them all to come out lol), and I have heard they do a lot better job with the characters where they actually feel like real characters instead of robots programmed to act a single way with an if command that if triggered they act a different way instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom