• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enron

Banned
Have to say though, I'm not sure what to think about those bath/shower self-reflection scenes in HIdamari Sketch. I mean these girls aren't all that young, they go to highschool after all, however, the art style makes everyone look somewhat young and childish. So to have these scenes where the camera does occasionally focus on their boobs and other areas is a bit questionable. I mean yeh, they don't draw nipples but that's hardly an excuse.

It's not like those scenes are directed in a very sexually alluring way or anything but it's there to some degree.

SHAFT gonna SHAFT

fertygo

Aria the Natural - 07

Man, I really don't expecting the show will have such a engaging overarching plot.. what a pleasant surprise.

The atmosphere also stepping up to became otherworldly since then, awesome stuff.

I'm just glad no one is saying "Why are their heads so wide?" because that would force me to burn down this entire thread.

xBn98Uh.gif

/XX/

27th Tokyo International Film Festival | 27th TIFF to Shine a Spotlight on Animation Films: “The World of Hideaki Anno”
http://2014.tiff-jp.net/news/en/?p=6728

Most interesting thing to note from this planned screening of Hideaki Anno's works is that it will showcase "around 50" of them, and by that sheer number which will include CMs, PVs and his student shorts one can expect how some long-hidden gems among all of those will resurface in better quality than ever. T. Ishikawa speculated with the presence of his The Invention of Imaginary Machines of Destruction animated short as an example, and there is nothing I'd love more than that!

Have to say though, I'm not sure what to think about those bath/shower self-reflection scenes in HIdamari Sketch. I mean these girls aren't all that young, they go to highschool after all, however, the art style makes everyone look somewhat young and childish. So to have these scenes where the camera does occasionally focus on their boobs and other areas is a bit questionable. I mean yeh, they don't draw nipples but that's hardly an excuse.

It's not like those scenes are directed in a very sexually alluring way or anything but it's there to some degree.

Sure, that's a way to oversell the short scenes.

Mr.Jeff

SO the clock has once more turned to the day of birth.
Happy Birthday to yourself and Chickdigger.

ZachDeKoromaru said:
Just give me a Houkago Play anime so I can [REDACTED] to delicious tall girrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl.
Considering its length, I'm not sure how much material there is to work with but I surely would be interested in seeing that.

DedicationThroughLight said:
Both artists did music for Mirai Nikki Op and Ed.

I cant wait to watch it for Faylan!.
Can't complain about another Yousei Teikoku single even if all of their anime based stuff thus far has been for middling to bad shows.

Branduil said:
I would, but I should really finish my other watchbets first.
I skipped a number of threads since it was first started but did you ever finish your watching of RahXephon without subs? As I recall it was a product of an argument about how you could watch a fairly complex series and still infer what was happening without understanding the dialogue because it was a visual medium.

duckroll said:
I really hope Yuasa continues to come up with cool stuff for Ohira to animate though. Ping Pong and this episode of Dandy are some of his best work.
It's interesting to see someone say this when before his Kickstarter there was that quote about him wanting to leave the industry after feeling too discouraged. (I've paraphrased it but largely along those lines)

Chariot said:
And what good original show did ufotable made so far? I didn't hear from then until Fate Zero hit. Just let them make type-moon stuff and hope for the best.
While I can't claim it to be an outstanding show as such, Futakoi Alternative certainly took an abhorent, by the numbers garbage harem series of Futakoi and turned into something a lot more interesting and enjoyable to watch. Granted it falls to pieces for it's latter half but the first few episodes I still highly rate! I might see if I can create some webms for it later.

How is the Yoyo to Nene movie? Good, watchable, mediocre?
I don't think people replied to this but it's a relatively enjoyable movie with some great visuals. I think it's a bit overlong but most impressions have been good overall.

(I've got another post to go mainly about Aria but I didn't want to make this overlong)

Mr.Jeff

[Advance warning for the blow - I'm not particularly coherent in my points in the following posts]

Sketchbook: Full Colors – 8-13 END
Sketchbook tends to flip flop between these two tones multiple times in an episode. Sometimes it changes things up like having Sora go off and do her own thing entirely or switching the focus from the art classmates to a group of talkative cats, but that basic structure remains true throughout. It never really tries to blend the quietly introspective side with the loud, comedic side as organically as it could. If anything, it tries quite hard to distance the two as much as possible.

But with that being said, I dig the small town mono no aware side with Sora quite a bit, and I’ve been vocal about it in the past. It makes me want to check out Tamayura more than anything. But the same can’t be said for the comedy, which is what made me go back and forth with my thoughts on the show as a whole. The comedy may very well just not be for me, but I do still think there is an underlying problem with the handling of it that undercuts the other half. Unfortunately, it resulted in a less emotionally resonant finale. More focus and less trying to do too many things would have done this show a world of good.

I'm sure we covered this last time but as the series comes from a purely 4koma background, I find what the adaptation manages to do quite remarkable.

The main thing is that while Sora is viewed primarily as the central focus of the show with her having the greatest number of scenes and her narration closing and ending the episodes, the ancillary cast is as important role as hers. Her character by and large is a fairly quiet and insular one so these other people are vital to help develop her along.

It's quite telling that despite all this, Sora is still quite happy to go off on her own and leave all this behind. Personally this is what I like the most; the regular day to day stuff is there continuously but she's still willing to go off and do things by herself.

I will agree that there is definitely a disparity in the introspective moments and the comedy elements. The comedy stays a lot truer to it's original source for these as it strings numerous strips together to become a more coherent product.

For the others though, it's a lot harder to gain a sense of the tranquility when you're trapped in a rigid format with a prescribed beginning, middle and end. This is where the anime comes more into it's own and expands these out into more full fleshed segment that have far greater impact - like the rainy day excursion.

While I keep bringing the manga to anime adaptation disparity, the series is most often brought up as a comparison to Aria since both are seen as "healing" series but this always strikes me as a bit unfair when Aria's source is a more properly formed series of events in each chapter and Sketchbook's is a continual series of one shots about day to day events.

Thanks for the write up though! It's always interesting to read other people's takes on it.

firehawk said:
I know some people are watching Aria and you should definitely watch Tamayura if you liked what you've seen. It's a perfect complement to the show.
My biggest bugbear to the show is the character who is overly infatuated with Potte's younger brother. It's overly obnoxious and annoying especially when delivered by the ear gratingly annoying VA that voices Index.
It's also slightly uncomfortably creepy although this is probably more down to being oversensitised by bad anime that treats such things as overtly sexual than anything truly malicious.

When I can finally get over that, I look forward to watching more!

-----------------
The bit where I multi-quote Syrinx

Syrinx said:
Aria: The Animation 6

Alice can be pretty weird, even though she's kind-hearted. And Maa-kun is a funny looking cat. Even moreso than President Aria
The important thing to remember is that Alice is still really young* - early teens as I recall so a lot of these absurdities are just from youth as well as Alice's own situation of being apart from others.

*The real interesting point is the characters real ages. Alice is meant to be ~14 years old but is originally from Aqua which has a year equivalent to 2 of Earth's. So is her 14 years the Earth standard which has been enforced onto Aqua as a means of continuity and really she's only 7 Aquan years or is it 14 Aquan years and really she's 28 years old in Earth time.

Syrinx said:
Aria: The Animation 10

Show uses such wonderful scenery. Loved the end with the snow bugs all returning to the ash trees.
-------------------
Aria: The Animation 12

That's one funky bridge...

But I really, really did like this episode, with Akari getting a firsthand look at Aqua before it became a land overflowing with water, and when the people were hopeful yet unsure about its future. She meets a woman on the other side who had just recently settled there, and who like Akari had things to get used to.

Aria the Animation - 12

Shyamalantwist.jpg

Wow that came out from left field, dayum... I don't expecting dem feels delivered this way.
These things only really ever interest me since most people in the thread try and disconnect the manga from the series and treat it on it's own merits but both of these episodes are interesting because ep10 is one which has been changed from its original subtly and ep12 is one that was entirely invented for the anime series.

For the former, while the same overall conclusion is there, in the latter half of the anime episode, it focuses more on Akari's development as an Undine, the manga's tone is a lot more bittersweet as it focus' more on the aspect of loss.

The latter episode always interests me because it sticks out for a number of people due to it's content. It's a thoroughly enjoyable episode regardless and perhaps telling that it blends in well with the series they've crafted so far. Far more so than say, episode 4 with the letter.

Aria: The Natural 3

Damn, Al really is tiny. Dude stands up to Aika's shoulders.
It's still sad that the 3 major male characters of the show all get sidelined and their characters never fleshed out as much as they deserve.

Aria: The Natural 6

Athena is a mentor to Alice in a bit of a different way then Alicia is to Akari or Akira is to Aika. Alicia wants to fully encourage and embrace Akari's personality and positive outlook on life, while Akira serves to keep the fire under Aika lit and help her (and the others) to become the best undine she can be.
I'd never considered this before but you're right about the mentors! The marriage of personalities for all 3 of the trainees is reflected in the teachers they've been assigned:
- Alicia matches up with Akari well because her world view matches up quite neatly and is more teaching her how to express this through her work.
- Akira's ethic or hard work ties in with Aika since while she may long for the romanticism of Alicia's teaching's, she is someone far more prone to doing things through hard work and effort.
- Athena matches up with Alice as her slightly goofy and ditzy mirrors Alice's own unique habits, developed through her life of self-imposed isolation and that these differences shouldn't stop her from being more open with people.

Thank you for the Aria impressions! It's one of the only series where I've had some excessive familiarity with it so I like reading people watching it. (firehawk! Read the manga you slacker!)

Hyouka 02

It really does look darn good. And man what a cliffhanger, good thing I'm able to binge watch this instead of waiting for weekly releases.

mankoto

Zankyou no Terror 4
I like how Nine tells Twelve not to interfere with whatever Lisa is doing and yet he does it anyway. I can understand the concern though. They've been doing everything perfectly so far so if she were to slip it would be the end of it. Alternatively, he doesn't want a repeat of what happened those years ago. I take it she collapsed due to not eating properly.

As for the riddle section... Wow. They shouldn't have cheated.

/XX/

It'll be this year. You'll see. You'll all see!
Well, SHAFT isn't that busy right now:

Twitter / Yuyucow: As of now (unless there's a ...
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/482909706647011329

And there is also this:
Twitter / Yuyucow said:
Twitter / maunou777: ふう…今日は尾石さんの「作ってます」短冊が見れて満足です!( ...
https://twitter.com/maunou777/status/485982410505347073
Someone saw Tatsuya Oishi's (Bake's director, missing since then) tanababata strip with "I'LL DO IT" so people are believing in Kizu again.
https://twitter.com/Yuyucow/status/486207805112979456

So... could it be the time of a return?

Midonin

Two more anime with singers announced.

Waremete has Satomi Satou on OP and Kaori Sasahara/Yui Furukawa on ED.
Denki-Gai no Honya-san has Ayana Taketatsu on OP and the main cast on ED. (Minami Tsuda, Taketatsu, Natsumi Takamori and Mai Aizawa.)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Log Horizon 1

wow that was really bad, especially after the jexhius hype

pervert pervert pervert secret pervert glasses pervert everyone loves akatsuki

FIN

that was basically what happened

Log Horizon 1

FIN

Honestly keep watching. It gets so much better once the opening arc is done. But I guess it all depends how fascination you find the world's economics and seeing Shiroe's genius unfold.

Kino's Journey 3: City of Prophecy

Amazing episode. I wasn't sure where it was going to at first, as it was the first episode so far that took the 'collection of short stories' to heart and had Kino visit multiple 'countries'. I guess I'll have to become used to this show calling a city a country, unless they're implying that Kino is traveling huge distances to go from one country to the other, but that implies the whole country acts and thinks the same as the city she visits.

Regardless I'm not sure of what to think of this episode's message. It seems both clear and murky what the writer was trying to convey. I'm now more convinced than ever that this is Gulliver's Travel in anime form. My interpretation of the major plot point would probably be that it's a commentary on Christianity and/or other major religions who believe in prophecies, and the commentary was that one religion's prophecy may have a completely different meaning for another, and stem from yet another country's completely different history. Interpretation is key.

Kino's Journey 3: City of Prophecy

Amazing episode. I wasn't sure where it was going to at first, as it was the first episode so far that took the 'collection of short stories' to heart and had Kino visit multiple 'countries'. I guess I'll have to become used to this show calling a city a country, unless they're implying that Kino is traveling huge distances to go from one country to the other, but that implies the whole country acts and thinks the same as the city she visits.

Regardless I'm not sure of what to think of this episode's message. It seems both clear and murky what the writer was trying to convey. I'm now more convinced than ever that this is Gulliver's Travel in anime form. My interpretation of the major plot point would probably be that it's a commentary on Christianity and/or other major religions who believe in prophecies, and the commentary was that one religion's prophecy may have a completely different meaning for another, and stem from yet another country's completely different history. Interpretation is key.
Took me a while to get used to that as well cause I kept getting caught in thinking: "Jesus how far is she actually traveling?"

Midonin

SAO II 05

Already a much more exciting tournament arc than Mahouka. Everything I've come to expect from this show, both strengths and flaws are present, but I don't really see Sinon as "part of the harem." She's a confidant, and so far, just that. Sure, Kawahara was an amateur when he wrote this series, but amateurs can improve. And I'm already seeing some better storytelling in this arc.

Kino's Journey 4: City of Adults

Probably the most heartbreaking episode of the show so far. It isn't necessarily gut-punching go home and cry, but man it encapsulates the show's darker tones to a tee. This is a flashback episode on
how a little 11 year old girl with a name she wasn't keen of met a handsome and charming traveler named Kino
. Their relationship
as short as it was
was very a much a typical father-daughter type, and seeing the young version of her was absolutely amazing, she was so different. How this world must've changed her. I don't tend to say this much but man the death of innocence has never been so literal.

The whole
do an operation that is basically a lobotomy on children to have them smile regardless of their job
is as fucked up as it gets for me, especially since in reality finding a job that truly makes you happy is really rare for so many. It sounds good on paper in its ideology form, but the reality of how it's done and the consequences (as seen by what the adults attempt later) is as fucked up as it gets.

I truly felt sad when
Kino sacrifices himself to save the little girl
and at least it wasn't in vain since
the motorcycle he fixed comes to life and convinces her to run away.
And thus, we learn about Kino. And where she hails from. The other episodes have been amazing, but this one gets a 10/10 by itself.

After this episode I might take a break from Kino for the rest of the day lol, that was a bit more emotionally invested than I was planning to get on a show for the week. Guess I'll now move on to Sword Art Online 2. There's poetry to this I guess. I'm going from what is probably considered one of the masterpieces of anime, to something that is considered the microwavable corn dogs of anime.

Jex

Log Horizon 1

FIN

You really gonna just do this to me after one episode?

Do you have so little faith?

I truly would not recommend the show if it didn't think it was great. I've practically watched the entire series in a single week and I rarely do that for any anime. If I had watched it when it was airing it would have been in my top ten shows of the year list and that was a very crowded list.

You just have to get to the point when you realise the show is kind of like Twelve Kingdoms + Spice and Wolf + .hack//SIGN + Legend of the Galactic Heroes with a dash of Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Branduil

I guess it might just be me, but I have a hard time viewing the Hidamari Sketch bath scenes as fanservice, given that their bodies are just undefined blobs.

Defuser

Sword Art Online II ep 5
After witnessing Sinon's booty ass Kirito acquired the power to super hear his opponent and dodged more insane bullets proving even in a shooting game he still the numero uno in being a gary stu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom