• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

Ojamajo Doremi 20
This is such a good episode on many levels. I really like that they acknowledged how Majo Rika's willingness to provide such constant stream of magical spheres and other stuff drove her into the red and the eventual necessity of trying to gamble out of it. It's not just that, the final outcome of the shop results from Majo Rika's own character flaw rather than external circumstances (i.e. addicted to gambling, she really doesn't know when to stop!). There are actual consequences for the actions of the characters which are felt in concrete ways here, which is the landmark of good scripting. It's no surprise then that this is one of the episodes written by Reiko Yoshida.
i4wgHDGShJL9P.jpg
ibgFwk8NMKKq9W.jpg

Life is hard when you gamble yourself to the ruin!
The episode is storyboarded and directed by Takuya Igarashi. His entries so far have always signalled a huge jump in quality, even moreso than Satou's eps, and this one stands out among them. It's funny and snappy, the cartoony faces are in full force, and it rounds off the emotional arc with sensible directing and good usage of the score. We get a feel for the characters' thoughts -the scene with Doremi lashing out was particularly deft in balancing two tones simultaneously-, and by the end we can tell that the bonds between Majo Rika and co. have deepened.

It seems this whole ordeal is going to be a two-parter (or more), so there's no actual resolution to the events established, but episode 20 stands as a really concise piece focusing on Majo Rika, a character that isn't normally given much spotlight otherwise. Definitely one of the best episodes in the show so far, if not the best.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess it's easy to figure out all the rest of the episodes. Next episode will be nice because I won't get ear cancer like I did with the western release of the game. Rie's singing voice is cute.
I assume it's pretty much all the exclusive Golden content with Marie shoved in when necessary.

[Uchû Kyôdai]
Brian Jay's death.
Are you saying that is what is about?
Because I feel like the series has covered and used that event fairly effectively and I'm not sure what you would get from covering that story from, say, his point of view. It'd also seem a bit fatalistic for the series, given how it is in part about how the program coped with that death.

I assume it's pretty much all the exclusive Golden content with Marie shoved in when necessary.

Because I feel like the series has covered and used that event fairly effectively and I'm not sure what you would get from covering that story from, say, his point of view. It'd also seem a bit fatalistic for the series, given how it is in part about how the program coped with that death.
They'll interweave it around an inspirational story of the young space brothers overcoming the tragedy and keeping their space dreams.

Moaradin

I'm thinking about watching Barakamon. Can anyone confirm that it won't turn into some weird shit that Japan is into? I just want a simple little slice of life.

I'm thinking about watching Barakamon. Can anyone confirm that it won't turn into some weird shit that Japan is into? I just want a simple little slice of life.

there will be some references here and there, but no, it won't(and didn't) turn into some weird shit.
That said, GO AND WATCH IT.

Mahouka 18

Kira Jesus Yamato had a good run. I need to get myself a new avatar fitting of Our New Lord and Saviour.

trust me, you haven't seen shit yet.
let's just say he blew something up. Sorry, TWO things up.

Erigu

Because I feel like the series has covered and used that event fairly effectively and I'm not sure what you would get from covering that story from, say, his point of view.
It will actually be about the direct aftermath of that accident, its impact on Hibito, etc.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
http://i.imgur.com/FgWkBzVl.jpg
My podcast cohost told me that the Hairy Bikers went to Japan and yep, they went to a maid cafe. lol
At least that was really the only "Japan is weird" thing that they do (Japan is obsessed with KAWAEE culture). The rest is more average Japanese cuisine... well, with the exception of cooking with some sumo wrestlers.
[post=103421438]Boooooo this man. BOOOOOOOOOO![/post]

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

The latest episode show beach episode without any fanservice. It's weird...
Barakamon is very family friendly anime, so i don't think you need to worry too much (assuming your 'weird shit' is fanservice)

Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu
Man, that uniform look so damn ridiculous

Gundam Reconguista in G
Buddy Complex S2
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu

The anime Sunrise is doing this Fall. Hmm, somehow I don't view this as a good thing.

So I guess this next Mahouka arc is all about wizard clan politics. Book readers where does that fit into the books? How far along are we?
Director Ono decided to adapt novels
1-2 (Enrollment, ep 1-7)
3-4 (9 Schools competition, ep 8-18)
6-7 (Yokohawa Incident, likely ep 19-26)

Novel 5 was a collection of shorts likely skipped to finish with that 2-part novel.

cajunator

Banned
You did not just insult Laura Bailey's singing.

Son I will fight you to the death.

Corvy you so crazy. Plus you were chilling on my car the other day in a parking lot.

Yeah its a cute slice of life. Nothing outrageous about it.

New Sunrise anime coming this Fall.

Looks like an all girl cast with mechs and...mech dragons? Source is from yaraon, but I know that site has some NSFW stuff on it so I didn't post a link.

Oh my. Im on board!

Rinne no Lagrange?

Yesssssssssssssssssssss
Please more like that!

Flowers of Evil 12

It's gone from somebody wanting to understand Kasuga to Kasuga wanting to understand somebody else.

He finally writes an essay too, and meets Nakamura's dad which seems to have given up on understanding his daughter.

Mokoi

Banned
Aldnoah Zero 5

I know Inaho is set up to be the badass who knows how to do everything , but really is he the only person who knows how to use tactics or fight at all. I mentioned this during the last episode too. It's just really dumb how nobody else knows how to pilot those mechs efficiently or fight at all. One part really bother me. I know you can argue that they don't have any fighting experience, but really
the soldiers are just going to stare at the turret being tossed at them instead of trying to move and dodge the martian coming for them. They switched their rounds, but doesn't help if your pilots are shit.
It just really bothered me, and the writing at times is just bad. Still enjoying it, but very weak episode with how dumb it was. Stupid emperor too.

Terror in Tokes 4

The only problem I have with this episode is that the little riddles are getting boring to me. The interactions between 9&12 during those videos are fun, but ehh it's already gotten old. Other than that fantastic episode with amazing musical direction. The soundtrack of this show is just so good! Glad I bought it, and I listen to it everyday.

This scene was great. Perfect song choice too. Also Spoliers!
http://a.pomf.se/imijnj.webm

Midonin

For KanColle, though I know nothing about the game, I'm hoping for a Strike Witches (with a dash of Koihime Musou) tone for the anime. For both this and Cinderella Girls, my relationship with them is more or less the same. When Shizuku/Shimakaze started showing up en masse on pixiv, that's when I started to realize they exist.

In other news, Tamayura is getting a finale in movie form. Big screen Junichi Satou.

The world needs more mecha shows that have mostly female characters and/or involve robots for things other than war. I'm happy this at least satisfies the first one.

Vylash

Kimi no Iru Machi 01

I...don't remember the last time I felt so defeated after watching something, literally everyone is completely uninteresting, not to mention the production values are virtually nonexistent, this is gonna be rough

phaze

This is the part where it start to deviate heavily from the book, and it shows. My favorite scene in the book is completely removed/changed in the anime, sadly.

Although the anime version of
Benedetto
was freacking awesome,

Best evil laugh in a long time. Can't even blame the guy much, considering what he's been through.

Gankutsuo 20-21

Great episodes. Monte Cristo's hammer of justice may not be the swiftest but when it finally strikes, it does so with style. Two side dishes are finally consumed and we're clearly in for the endgame.
Thought it was kinda dickish of Mercedes and Albert to not share their knowledge about return of Edmond Dantes and his thirst for revenge. Especially since Cavalcanti was introduced to society by him and he was clearly plotting something around Danglers and Albert's fiancee.

Yay for happy Eugenie ending.

Andrew J.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom