• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mankoto

Kimi no Iru Machi 01

I...don't remember the last time I felt so defeated after watching something, literally everyone is completely uninteresting, not to mention the production values are virtually nonexistent, this is gonna be rough
You can do it. I believe in you.

Yeah, the whole Dezaki style postcard kind of look to some scenes was nice. One I liked was the panning shot with Yanagi standing at the bridge with her umbrella waiting for Yukinari.

That particular shot I'll agree was a little strange. I got a bit of a chuckle how it manages to make a more mundane scene seem all dramatic.
I generally like all of these shots. But now we're just getting weird with them. That one and the one at the very end where it started to zoom in on Touko's face where just funny.

IIRC, you see how good she became with guns in one of the OVAs, it's not shown in the main series.

You probably won't have much to say about episode 8, but the episode after that one....oh man. My favourite episode in the entire show.

I probably won't know until tomorrow since today I gotta go have lunch with older sis, then come back & play with TitS, and later tonight watch the newest episode of The Strain. And as long as episode 8 has a message to it that I can find, I'll be entertained enough.

kinger256

Soredemo Machi wa Mawatteiru

This is amazing. I haven't had this much fun with a cast interacting with each other for a long time. Probably the best comedy from shaft. Unfortunately a sequel being created seems nigh impossible, so I guess I'll start reading the manga.

I've liked pretty much all Shaft shows except for the two most recent ones, Nisekoi and MekakuCity Actors. But is it fair to give fault to the studio for an adaptation if the source material also happens to be terrible? I'm assuming that these studios have some contractual obligation to follow the source material pretty strictly in terms of writing, so I feel it's not entirely their fault creating a soulless show like Nisekoi.

Syrinx

This is amazing. I haven't had this much fun with a cast interacting with each other for a long time. Probably the best comedy from shaft. Unfortunately a sequel being created seems nigh impossible, so I guess I'll start reading the manga.

I've liked pretty much all Shaft shows except for the two most recent ones, Nisekoi and MekakuCity Actors. But is it fair to give fault to the studio for an adaptation if the source material also happens to be terrible? I'm assuming that these studios have some contractual obligation to follow the source material pretty strictly in terms of writing, so I feel it's not entirely their fault creating a soulless show like Nisekoi.
You could fault them for adapting bad material in the first place.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I've liked pretty much all Shaft shows except for the two most recent ones, Nisekoi and MekakuCity Actors. But is it fair to give fault to the studio for an adaptation if the source material also happens to be terrible?
Yes. Shaft are lazy shitters.

CorvoSol

New Sunrise anime coming this Fall.

Looks like an all girl cast with mechs and...mech dragons? Source is from yaraon, but I know that site has some NSFW stuff on it so I didn't post a link.

Oh ew, her mech is a cgi Freedom knockoff with a maiden like a pirateship on the front. Who even designed this shit?

Also: Why can't CGI robot shows ever feature robots that aren't overdesigned, busy as fuck pieces of shit? I swear Zoids is like, the only one I've ever seen not do that.

Gundam Reconguista in G
Buddy Complex S2
Gundam Build Fighters Try
Crossange Tenshi to Ryuu no Rinbu

The anime Sunrise is doing this Fall. Hmm, somehow I don't view this as a good thing.

Hey but Gundam Build Fighters is on that list! And Reconguista in G could be good!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-ange-original-tv-anime-with-1st-promo/.77243
Yoshiharu Ashino (Tweeny Witches) is directing the anime at Sunrise, and Tatsuto Higuchi is handling series composition. Yuusuke Matsuo is providing the concepts for the characters, while Sayaka Ono is designing the characters. Singer and songwriter Akiko Shikata (Ar Tonelico series, Tales of Symphonia the Animation: The United World Episode theme song performance) will be scoring the soundtrack. Nana Mizuki will perform the opening theme song, while Eri Kitamura will perform the ending theme.

The rest of the staff is as follows:

Creative Producer: Mitsuo Fukuda
Barameiru Design: Junichi Akutsu
Dragon Design: Kazutaka Miyatake
Costume Design: Heiin
More on Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryū no Rondo.

I haven't watched Tweeny Witches but this seems like a big step down for the director.

More crap.

Blue Blazes

Yano is so based. Gallant Char theme for him and three times faster! The whole sequence in the manga club was awesome, and the end with the camera showing Yano bigger than Honoo. Good stuff.

Whatisthis.

Kino's Journey 7: Colosseum [part 2]

If I had to complain about one thing, it might be how awkward this looked

that body bending

Lol, that has to hurt. A lot.

Sabagebu 5

Momoka is evil. A lot.

Aldnoah Zero 5

Yep, this is being worse and worse. Inaho Batman level is off the charts, even other characters are noticing, maybe it's a plot point and he will be the product of a government experiment or whatever. Meanwhile... Slaine talks to the Emperor and.. wait. How the bad guy knew about Slaine discovery? Totally unexplained. The only thing I can think of is, the moment was recorded by some systems of the mech they recovered, but you know, it's a weird choice to not show that and keep it for the next episode.

Glad you liked it? (?) It's a pretty interesting anime and very unconventional. I'm still not entirely sure what I think of it.

I've been neglecting watching anime and I haven't event started your watchbet. I'm going to see if I can juggle two at once and to catch up to you.

I'm not 100% sure what to think myself. There's both things I like about it and some things I couldn't get into. Leaning towards liking it, but I don't think it's really great.

cajunator

Banned
Ugh it looks so good, no idea why Mutsuki's there but hey

I doubt she'll be in, she's still fairly new and they have too many to pick from as it is, she's not even that popular

I know. But it was nice to hope :/
Im sure I can pick other nice Kancolles.

It looks kinda generic but still fun. The style looks familiar..

65LA4fO.jpg

You might be on to something here...

What the hell is this?
Obviously an episode of South Park but Ive never seen it.

A Huge Battleship posting about an anime with characters who are anthrofied battleships.

I've seen everything now

SO META.

Also: Why can't CGI robot shows ever feature robots that aren't overdesigned, busy as fuck pieces of shit? I swear Zoids is like, the only one I've ever seen not do that.

I guess when it comes to CG mechs, there's a lot more possible things that can be done that are normally really difficult to animate in 2D. So they decide to go all out and just pile more stuff on top of it as they can, thinking the more they add, the more awesome it will look.

But no, it doesn't look awesome. Like a kid messing around with the level creator in a video game, they put so much crap on that thing that it's nothing but a generic boring mess.

What the hell is this?
Obviously an episode of South Park but Ive never seen it.

It's an episode of South Park where Mr. Garrison creates this vehicle because he's tired of being treated like total shit by airplane companies at the airport. You drive it by
sticking the seat in your ass, then sucking on the mouth piece while also jacking back and forth the two handles

The whole joke in the episode is that as people are uncomfortably driving it they still acknowledge that "it's still better than dealing with airplane companies". I love me that South Park on-the-nose commentary.

It's an episode of South Park where Mr. Garrison creates this vehicle because he's tired of being treated like total shit by airplane companies at the airport. You drive it by
sticking the seat in your ass, then sucking on the mouth piece while also jacking back and forth the two handles

The whole joke in the episode is that as people are uncomfortably driving it they still acknowledge that "it's still better than dealing with airplane companies". I love me that South Park on-the-nose commentary.

I hope this vehicule was patented.

/XX/

Yano is so based. Gallant Char theme for him and three times faster! The whole sequence in the manga club was awesome, and the end with the camera showing Yano bigger than Honoo. Good stuff.
Oh, yes! Each actor's casting has seemed so appropriate. The characterization is spot-on for its added silliness, and maybe the style of the late-70s/early-80s helps very much to that! Can't wait to see none other than Toshio "Otaking" Okada in the series... just compare the actor that will incarnate him with the actual man legend during the GENERAL PRODUCTS store era:

ゼネラルプロダクツ - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwZIvEHcU8#t=100

Just...why Tonko-san needs to sound so...dumb.
And her eyes, those fixated eyes with a expression that can pierce souls... argh!

Whatisthis.

As it seems there isn't much interest for it at the thread dedicated to 'J-Drama' on this forum, I'll continue pimping the Blue Flame live-action adaptation series here... because, for real, there are many Japanese animation elements people from here will truly appreciate. Just looking at the OP one is sure of that:

「アオイホノオ」 OP - YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk5LDYeFRyQ

I mean, look at it; a 're-mastered' Hideaki Anno flip-book, all those homages to 'Kanada-style' cuts from Mr. Imaishi & Aninari with those poses, the research work in general and in particular that characterization with the added smugness from the graphic novel still intact... sublime overall!

Oh, yes! Each actor's casting has seemed so appropriate. The characterization is spot-on for its added silliness, and maybe the style of the late-70/early-80s helps very much to that! Can't wait to see none other than Toshio "Otaking" Okada in the series... just compare the actor that will incarnate him with the actual man legend during the GENERAL PRODUCTS store era:

ゼネラルプロダクツ - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTwZIvEHcU8#t=100

And her eyes, those fixated eyes with a expression that can pierce souls... argh!

Haha, he looks great!

I wonder why, but when I saw Tonko-san in the article in her manga form she looks normal...but her dorama one is...argh...but her Kansai-ben is fine.

Midonin

Captain Earth 18

The Outback is dangerous enough on its own, it doesn't need tanks blowing up things to make it so. The show's getting closer and closer to revealing exactly what's up with Hana. A bit actiony at this part, and the big Kiltgang attack seems to not be happening just yet, so I say it was I said it before. It's the one mecha series I'm watching right now, and I'm overall satisfied with it.

Nafe

We'll get you yet Nafe. Just you waiiiiit.

The Mazinger game actual runs on Cave 1 hardware! Really I don't blame you though. They were cheap cash-in anime shmups. Nothing to really write home about. They are pretty much clones with an anime skin laid on top so only really worth it if you like the property.
That being said, you might actually be interested in their Sailor Moon Side-scrolling Beat-em-up. It is pretty much a Bare Knuckle 2/Final Fight clone.

Ah, okay. I actually just found out about that beat-em-up not that long ago. It would be neat to try it and apparently the Sailor Moon RPG game isn't too bad either and maybe one of the better Sailor Moon games.

It has become the anthem of my life!

Speaking of that, have you talked with zeroshiki lately? I don't think I've seen him post for a while now. Is he just busy or did he get caught looking at NeoGaf at work again and he's banned from using the computer again type thing.

Oh yeah, that reminds me that I just saw this picture. It's like waifu's and husbando's but for 2D people or something,haha.

cajunator

Banned
Thanks for linking that

It was a cute read

I happened across a manga that seems to be about fox girl yuri. It was super cute!
I hope it becomes anime.

Kino's Journey 6: Colosseum [part 1]

Damn, Kino went full Gladiator. There wasn't so much a message or meaning to the story this episode (that I could see) besides a story that wanted to be told about barbaric hobbies coming back in this relatively futuristic/modern setting. Cycle of time I suppose.

The animation during some scenes in the battle was pretty well done, this is the first time we get to see just how much of a badass Kino is (besides being drenched in guns that one episode). Just when I thought the story couldn't get better they introduce this badass looking tall guy wh-

oDKh1Cv.jpg

I-Is that a talking dog? A TALKING DOG?!

SA6s0mD.gif

Gonna go ahead and finish part 2, see how this all ends.

OH yes. One of my favorite episodes. Kino just given free reign to demolish shit.

Kino's Journey 7: Colosseum [part 2]

Nothing much to say about this arc. It was entertaining. A story of life, death, revenge and betrayal. Very Hamlet-like feeling, but more than anything it didn't deviate much from many stories in western and eastern tales alike about protagonists being forced to fight in colosseums. This actually made me miss fighting in one in Elder Scrolls games, since Skyrim didn't have one.

Shizu and Riku were pretty awesome characters, have a lot of potential. If this were any other show they would have come along with Kino and Hermes and become part of the regular cast, shame that with 5 episodes left in the anime I doubt they'll make much of a comeback. Again, shame I really liked them. But thems the breaks with Kino. I wonder if we'll ever see how she became so good with guns.

If I had to complain about one thing, it might be how awkward this looked

that body bending

It wasnt as philosophical and definitely more action oriented than the rest of Kino's
However it still had something of importance to say. themes of class warfare and gladiator like ways of human entertainment at the expense of peoples lives. It really happens and has happened and thats the most sobering thing.

End of an era. Completely expected though. Hopefully it doesnt trickle down to normal anime studios though. Im sure it will send shockwaves and discourage animators.

I probably won't know until tomorrow since today I gotta go have lunch with older sis, then come back & play with TitS, and later tonight watch the newest episode of The Strain. And as long as episode 8 has a message to it that I can find, I'll be entertained enough.

Episode 8 is another of my favorites without a big message to say. It is a cute story of innovation and the spirit of invention. Really enjoyable episode.
The show has several darker episodes coming up though. You wont believe some of it.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-ange-original-tv-anime-with-1st-promo/.77243

More on Cross Ange: Tenshi to Ryū no Rondo.

I haven't watched Tweeny Witches but this seems like a big step down for the director.

Tweeny witches is legit. Studio 4C worked on it and its a really quirky yet enjoyable story set in a witches' world. Its actually called Mahou Shoujo Tai Alice.
In some ways it reminded me of Studio 4C's short animation called Noiseman Sound Insect, which really excited me when the show was announced.

Busaiku

Man, this latest episode of Haikyu!! looked so terrible.
It was pretty bad the last few episodes, but this was just much worse.

jman2050

Sabagebu 5

Momoka is clearly the greatest anime villain of all time. Also considering that this anime probably has a lower budget than your average Subway franchise, that third part was pretty entertaining to watch.

Poor Urara, this is why we need infrared toilets!

Sabagebu 5

Momoka is clearly the greatest anime villain of all time. Also considering that this anime probably has a lower budget than your average Subway franchise, that third part was pretty entertaining to watch.

Poor Urara, this is why we need infrared toilets!

But what are the odds of someone breaking a handle like that? Lower than Infrareds busting up.

Funny thing though. We recently had our bathrooms renovated at work, fitted with Infrared sensors, AND A FAIL-SAFE LEVER/BUTTON in case the thing is busted. And yet everytime I use it, it flushes before I even trickle :/

fertygo

Man, this latest episode of Haikyu!! looked so terrible.
It was pretty bad the last few episodes, but this was just much worse.

Previous week episode is pretty good looking, this week isn't though. Still far better than average KuroBas episode though.

Sailor Moon Crystal 3

I actually like this version of Rei a lot better, ever if Usagi's obsession with how beautiful Rei is was weird. If I didn't know that was the death of Jadeite I'd honestly have no idea with how the anime depicted it. Oh well can't win them all I guess

fertygo

Sailor Moon Crystal 3

I actually like this version of Rei a lot better, ever if Usagi's obsession with how beautiful Rei is was weird. If I didn't know that was the death of Jadeite I'd honestly have no idea with how the anime depicted it. Oh well can't win them all I guess

What? that guy's dead? not escaping teleporting or something like that? the hell..

well nisemonogatari was mostly shit, big let down from bakemonotagari.

8 episodes into the second season and it's seems like a return to form.

question though, the monogatari series has to be extremely popular in Japan right? the budget has to be fucking insane! the production value is so high for every episode, all the backgrounds,art, edits and the animation, fuck man. It made more sens with the two previous series weren't very long but are they gonna keep this up for 26 episodes?

CorvoSol

well nisemonogatari was mostly shit, big let down from bakemonotagari.

8 episodes into the second season and it's seems like a return to form.

question though, the monogatari series has to be extremely popular in Japan right? the budget has to be fucking insane! the production value is so high for every episode, all the backgrounds,color and the animation, fuck man. It made more sens with the two previous series weren't very long but are they gonna keep this up for 26 episodes?

But how do you feel about dental hygiene?

Kimi no Iru Machi 01

I...don't remember the last time I felt so defeated after watching something, literally everyone is completely uninteresting, not to mention the production values are virtually nonexistent, this is gonna be rough

I think I should make you watch a different anime before you get in too deep. Since the show you gave me is really great. How about D-Frag if you wanna change.

fertygo

Sup, psy..

Monogatari series is gewd, but seem like you tricked by SHAFT trickery because its should've obvious the show kinda cheaply made lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom