• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Aldnoah.Zero] - 5

This was really bad. If this continues to head down this route it'll find itself dropped.
Slaine is single handedly making me not drop the series imho. Nothing else besides the possibility of his side of the story being interesting is keeping me watching don't give no fucks about the earfff people.

Clov

Yeah, too bad they've not released 5cm/s on BD in the UK, only got the DVD of that. (And yeah, I know the Japanese one is region free)

It hasn't gotten a BD in North America either. After ADV died/went into legal limbo, Crunchyroll of all companies re-released it on DVD. Since I doubt we'll be seeing Crunchyroll putting out BDs anytime soon, it's unlikely that we'll see it get a North American BD release until Crunchyroll's rights expire. It might still be possible in the UK, though. It's a pity too, since I think this is easily Shinkai's best work. Much better than The Garden of Words to me.

The Japanese BD has subtitles though, so I might just end up picking that up whenever I go to Japan. So at some point in the next couple years.

Soma

Nozaki-kun Ep. 5

http://a.pomf.se/jmtaco.webm
I was laughing far more than I was expecting to during this entire scene.

Another great episode.

Next episode Waka shows up and holy shit it's one of my favorite scenes from the manga.

Can't wait.

izQXi2vjx0r57.png

cajunator

Banned
Is the art style in Satoshi Kon's movies unique to his movies or are they unique to Madhouse productions?

That particular look was Satoshi Kon's trademark. I dont remember other stuff looking that way. He also used a very specific electronic music composer.

Here's what it looks like in the manga

3OkdSpm.png

AZcqvZG.png

Now they could have Beryl kill him in the next episode for failing again like they did in the original series, but more likely they'll just show this scene from the end of the same chapter in the manga

sAQJgF9.png

Just started episode 3 with "I can't believe Jadeite got beaten by the Sailor Senshi" derp derp derp

I love how Toei just spoils the hell out of things with the episode titles.

wait, thats actually getting picked up?

I have no idea. I just saw it was really cute, squeed loudly at it and moved on.

Guys what if SHAFT and by extension Nisioisin are just huge perverts?

Well if CLAMP and Gainax were any indication...

Sword Art Online II 5

As long as Sinon is not falling in love with our lord and savior Kirito-kun I think I will continue to like her character. After that Kirito lost a few points with her.

Also it seems we've narrowed down the field of who Death Gun is. I'll admit that this revelation intrigued me.

Nice boat.

So happy I am at the point where I can laugh at this now.

I love how Toei just spoils the hell out of things with the episode titles..

To be fair the titles of the anime episodes match the manga chapter they adapt so far.

Aldnoah Zero 5

Inaho just needs to get a super robot already, yes it's fun watching him Batman the bad guys but him batmaning the bad guys in his trainee mech can only hold my attention for so long. Also poor Slaine is basically screwed as the Vers are pretty much content to war with the Earth period and will do anything even if he can prove the princess is alive and it was all an Orbital Knights plot.

Kino's Journey 8: The Country of Magicians

Hmmm. While by no means a bad episode, it's definitely the weakest episode of the show that I've seen. It just felt like a standard episode of an episodic show.

mankoto

Barakamon 5
The sea slug is one thing, but censoring the spew made the joke kinda creepy when Naru did it. Overall the episode was alright. Looks like we get to see new characters next week too.

Nice Boat
It better be filled with Nice Boats. You can't get to the island without one!

Nozaki-Kun - 05

That OP, can't resist listen to it before every episode. Also this was a stronger episode than the last two thankfully. So far my favorite anime this season although SAO 2 has better comedy.

It hasn't gotten a BD in North America either. After ADV died/went into legal limbo, Crunchyroll of all companies re-released it on DVD. Since I doubt we'll be seeing Crunchyroll putting out BDs anytime soon, it's unlikely that we'll see it get a North American BD release until Crunchyroll's rights expire. It might still be possible in the UK, though. It's a pity too, since I think this is easily Shinkai's best work. Much better than The Garden of Words to me.

The Japanese BD has subtitles though, so I might just end up picking that up whenever I go to Japan. So at some point in the next couple years.

What's really crappy is that it's released elsewhere in Europe, just not with English subtitles.

cajunator

Banned
Yeah I think that outburst towards the end is most folk's complaint.

I think of it similarly. I've given it a 8/10 on MAL in the end because the visuals are just so ridiculously damn good and I still quite like the characters and the story.

But the ending just pales so much compared to 5cm/s Though that one is just a bit stronger in pretty much every regard as far as I'm concerned (animation quality is rather equal to me, even if Garden of Words is obviously more detailed).

I honestly cant remember a lot about the movie, but I do know that it was Shinkai's prettiest movie to date.

Kino's Journey 8: The Country of Magicians

Hmmm. While by no means a bad episode, it's definitely the weakest episode of the show that I've seen. It just felt like a standard episode of an episodic show.

Yeah. As I said, one of my favorite episodes, but not nearly as impactful as other episodes. What youre about to see though..

The Garden of Words

Life is like a shoebox of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

This was on my backlog and forgot that it was pretty short, so I decided to watch it. Overall I really liked it. Getting the obvious out of the way, the animation is friggin' beautiful; the lighting/shading and backgrounds are fantastic. Despite feeling perfectly fine the movie is only 47 minutes long, had it been longer and spent a bit more time developing the characters that emotional outburst in the end would've felt more warranted. I still think the characters were developed pretty well and were very likeable together, but I can definitely see that final part coming off as a bit forced, though I do think that, even though I kinda liked it, mainly due to
Takao calling out Yukino

This movie also reminded me that chocolate beer actually exists.

Sabagebu 5

This episode was amazing. I laughed so hard. Part 1 was okay but part 2 and 3 were amazing. Part 2 I laughed so hard when the
helicopters were coming in and Urusu shot them down. Everyone's faces were amazing.
Part 3 was hilarious when her
Conscious shot her evil side and then Momoka shot her conscious in the head
. Truly an amazing anime.

Kino's Journey 9: The Country of Books
This was like The Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451 meets 1984 meets Shutter Island. Don't really get the message but I'm interpreting it as two things:

1. Commentary on the negativity of a Bureaucratic society, where all decisions being made by one group impact the people in a largely negative way.

2. That media in general can have such a profound effect on the audience to the point where regular life seems boring (chuunibyou?).

The whole reality vs fiction thing could've been explored further, and I'm sure the whole part of the book about everything in the world meant to say something?
Maybe that the world is at the end of the day about nothing?

Interesting episode. Was the author attacked by critics at some point? There were a lot of cheap shots, very hilarious if I do say so myself, at critics and their professions. Similar to A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its commentary on Philosophers.

edit: I have 4 episodes left it seems like, so I might do one episode per day and then do a series review on Thursday.

jgminto

DRAMAtical Murder 5
The Scratch scene was pretty awesome, definitely got the creepy vibe down. They should start to get into the better second half next episode, though it depends on what route the show is going down. I don't really have a good idea because they've shown multiple characters exclusive to different routes already.

This was like The Matrix meets Fahrenheit 451 meets 1984 meets Shutter Island. Don't really get the message but I'm interpreting it as two things:

1. Commentary on the negativity of a Bureaucratic society, where all decisions being made by one group impact the people in a largely negative way.

2. That media in general can have such a profound effect on the audience to the point where regular life seems boring (chuunibyou?).

The whole reality vs fiction thing could've been explored further, and I'm sure the whole part of the book about everything in the world meant to say something?

Interesting episode. Was the author attacked by critics at some point? There were a lot of cheap shots, very hilarious if I do say so myself, at critics and their professions. Similar to A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and its commentary on Philosophers.
I dunno considering the nature of the story and Kino herself I thought they explored it enough. I mean Kino isn't the type of person to pry too deeply into things, usually.

Vuze

AnimeGAF, please enlighten me.

I'm not too much into anime but I just heard about the planned Digimon Adventures sequel and stumbled across the 15th Anniversary box. Since I loved Digimon Adventures back in the days I actually thought about importing it just because. But - 54,800 Yen?! What the hell. Who can afford to pay that price for a single season? Or am I missing out on something and they include some special stuff in the box that justifies the price?

cajunator

Banned

edit: I have 4 episodes left it seems like, so I might do one episode per day and then do a series review on Thursday.

Yeah this episode felt very Fahrenheit 451esque but books arent taboo so much as heavily controlled. It was also a jab at censorship and bureaucratic control "for the greater good". The author was basically peoples struggle to escape from the reality of that world and create their own. Kino's journey is really what the viewer makes of it. Each episode tells a story but leaves just enough out that it can be interpreted a bunch of ways, which leads to repeat viewings. I havent seen anything else like it but Im sure something exists. If you or someone else can think of anything like Kinos journey that I may have missed, please let me know.

I'm not too much into anime but I just heard about the planned Digimon Adventures sequel and stumbled across the 15th Anniversary box. Since I loved Digimon Adventures back in the days I actually thought about importing it just because. But - 54,800 Yen?! What the hell. Who can afford to pay that price for a single season? Or am I missing out on something and they include some special stuff in the box that justifies the price?

Anime in Japan costs a lot.

Considering the Digimon Adventure announcement, is Toel animation actually a good studio these days or not? Kyousou Giga is supposedly pretty great but otherwise I have no idea.

This episode is my favourite because of how silly the premise was at first. I mean, there was a resistance organization for BOOKS.

Then everything just goes nuts later on with the Author, the Critics, and the like. So much existentialism as well. So good.

Thoraxes

Stuff like that is pretty much for hardcore collectors that would be willing to put up the price. And they know there are fans out there who will pay that much.

Hell, I payed $550 for the TTGL BD-Box and have zero regrets.

Nozaki-Kun Episode 5

That was a great episode. Having Nozaki imitate Mamiko was funny and also not considering Kashima's feelings was hilarious. The scene with Hori and Kashima was the best, I really do like their interactions together.

Clov

Considering the Digimon Adventure announcement, is Toel animation actually a good studio these days or not? Kyousou Giga is supposedly pretty great but otherwise I have no idea.

While they mostly do big, mainstream series, I think they do put out some great and creative work every now and then. Apart from Kyousogiga, they also did Mononoke and Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko), both of which I'm very fond of.

never watched these two, Kaibe[/B ]and Kemonozume?
should I?

Yes, you should! They're not perfect works (especially Kemonozume), but they're both wonderful and very unique. Kaiba's still one of my favorites from Yuasa, after Tatami Galaxy and Ping-Pong. They're both worth a watch.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

::Looks at Sailor Moon Crystal:: Er, yea, you might want to get worried, really worried for Digimon.

duckroll

never watched these two, Kaiba and Kemonozume?
should I?

I love Kemonozume. It's totally strange, very expressive, and one of the better love stories between two adults in anime. Just done in a really, really weird way. Think of it as Romeo and Juliet for adults in a monsters and yakuza setting with crazy Yuasa-isms all over. It's my favorite Yuasa TV series by far.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun Episode 5:

Ah, so we meet a vital process of the manga creation process, the editor, and I can too can be appreciative those who deliver things quickly. This may be the comedy with this sharpest writing overall this season but frankly it gets a little too meta-textual at times.

madp

The Light of El Cantare

Physical media prices in general are much higher in Japan than in the West. The problem is compounded by the fact that commodity pricing in the anime industry is already designed around exploiting a relative handful of obsessive and affluent collectors, and it's not uncommon for anime series to be broken down into two-episode volumes sold at nearly $100 per volume. This box set is actually a "discount" on a per-episode basis since it's a compilation rerelease of an old series, but still absurdly expensive by any reasonable standard.

Digimon was never a pretty anime.

I remember one episode though, when Tai is brought to the real world and the animation was amazing. It was just like the movie animation 0_0

YuruYuri 3

Probably shouldn't be watching this right after Sabagebu. Minute to minute laughs comparatively, there's more in Sabagebu than in YuruYuri although this show has it's moments. Hoping that the jokes pick up a bit more in the next few episodes and they stop recycling the same yuri jokes. The funniest ones have to do with Akari (especially when the show from time to time becomes self aware). So let's focus on that.

The best joke in the episode was a self aware joke when a character commented "Huh? But we're not that type of show..."

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 4

I kind of liked this episode. :( It scratched an itch I've had since Battlestar Galactica (2004). The flashback is just lazy storytelling and seems to me like it was an easy to way to trim the budget a little for this episode. The protagonist's inexplicable skills are groan worthy, he didn't even do anything that special. The only reason he was successful is because the hand of the writer protected him.

Nozaki-kun 5

While by no means laugh out loud funny, the writing is extremely well done, it has a clear sense of direction. The biggest downside to this episode is that by introducing the new characters (3 in total), we didn't have enough screen time for the students. Which imho are way better characters.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 4

I kind of liked this episode. :( It scratched an itch I've had since Battlestar Galactica (2004). The flashback is just lazy storytelling and seems to me like it was an easy to way to trim the budget a little for this episode. The protagonist's inexplicable skills are groan worthy.
Have you watched Yamato 2199 yet? That's the biggest itch scratch for BSG that I had in anime.

Vuze

Anime in Japan costs a lot.

Stuff like that is pretty much for hardcore collectors that would be willing to put up the price. And they know there are fans out there who will pay that much.

Hell, I payed $550 for the TTGL BD-Box and have zero regrets.

Physical media prices in general are much higher in Japan than in the West. The problem is compounded by the fact that commodity pricing in the anime industry is already designed around exploiting a relative handful of obsessive and affluent collectors, and it's not uncommon for anime series to be broken down into two-episode volumes sold at nearly $100 per volume. This box set is actually a "discount" on a per-episode basis since it's a compilation rerelease of an old series, but still absurdly expensive by any reasonable standard.

Duh. Thanks for the replies, sucks to hear this is basically the go-to pricing... no box for me then :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom