• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised you're still watching this. I commend your patience.

As dumb as it is there's something strangely endearing about it. Probably doesn't help that Aldnoah Zero isn't really doing anything to blow me away and as a whole the mech anime in the past 2 years have been largely meh outside of Gargantia (which is more a slice of life anime then a mech anime) and Gundam Build Fighters which is basically YGO with gunpla.

My hope is that eventually the MC will figure out how to use his super robot and begin to just wreck with it. That's all I really want :|

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Stuff like that is pretty much for hardcore collectors that would be willing to put up the price. And they know there are fans out there who will pay that much.

Hell, I payed $550 for the TTGL BD-Box and have zero regrets.
I wish I could be hardcore.

XFGiC9a.jpg

cajunator

Banned
AnimeGAF, please enlighten me.

I'm not too much into anime but I just heard about the planned Digimon Adventures sequel and stumbled across the 15th Anniversary box. Since I loved Digimon Adventures back in the days I actually thought about importing it just because. But - 54,800 Yen?! What the hell. Who can afford to pay that price for a single season? Or am I missing out on something and they include some special stuff in the box that justifies the price?

yeah thats basically a normal price. Anime is a niche product and sold mainly to collectors. Otaku will pay these prices for a small production run.

Mature

never watched these two, Kaiba and Kemonozume?
should I?
Kemonozume is certainly worth a watch, especially if you're looking for something uniquely Yuasa. It has a few narrative quirks and goes off the rails in a questionably way in the end, but it's ultimately a great watch. I've heard good things about Kaiba, but haven't watched it myself.

Thoraxes

Speaking of Yamato 2199, volume 4 is out in a little over 3 weeks! Hell yeah.

Only 5 months till my collection is complete.

::Looks at Sailor Moon Crystal:: Er, yea, you might want to get worried, really worried for Digimon.

Yeh, noticing it's from the same studio is the reason I am worried now.

While they mostly do big, mainstream series, I think they do put out some great and creative work every now and then. Apart from Kyousogiga, they also did Mononoke and Trapeze (Kuuchuu Buranko), both of which I'm very fond of.

Looks like I'll just have to pray they do supply the budget and a long enough production schedule for that season then.

Digimon was never a pretty anime.

Yup. Was looking at the first couple episodes of Tamers two days ago and... damn. Not quite how I remembered it looking. I'm hopeful they can up the ante quite a bit though these days. Hopefully we won't get the exact same closeup sequence every time a Digimon uses an attack :p

Also really curious how good they can make the digivolve sequences these days.

Jintor

That might be the biggest downside to it, but the unnecessary curvy outfits and a 'look at how sexy she is' scene here and there hopefully don't detract from what is a very solid sci-fi anime. Easily my AOTY.

If you look at it another way it's very classic sci fi to be suuuuper sexist

It doesn't help, of course

Glasslip 5

Still really, really pretty. This show is a slow burn. Things are progressing, just very slowly.

I like Toko, Hiro and their respective interests. I know some don't like it but I really like Toko's little "Ehhhh?!?!" personality quirk about her. Hiro's sister is also legitimately funny. I like their conversations. The thing is the big problem hasn't reared it's head yet. Usually shows have that big drama or problem that unfolds and that hasn't really happened yet. I hope it comes into play soon. Because honestly everything about this show is fine. You have characters that I have been sold on since episode 3/4, animation is beautiful, music is superb and the OP is pretty great. Now they just have to execute. It still feels like they're still setting up everything. Hopefully they do something to change up the show soon.

Rhapsody

Banned
Glasslip 5

Still really, really pretty. This show is a slow burn. Things are progressing, just very slowly.

I like Toko, Hiro and their respective interests. I know some don't like it but I really like Toko's little "Ehhhh?!?!" personality quirk about her. Hiro's sister is also legitimately funny. I like their conversations. The thing is the big problem hasn't reared it's head yet. Usually shows have that big drama or problem that unfolds and that hasn't really happened yet. I hope it comes into play soon. Because honestly everything about this show is fine. You have characters that I have been sold on since episode 3/4, animation is beautiful, music is superb and the OP is pretty great. Now they just have to execute. It still feels like they're still setting up everything. Hopefully they do something to change up the show soon.
It's pretty interesting that it's almost the opposite of Hanasaku Iroha. That one seemed to have drama coming up in every other episode (not that I didn't enjoy it).

But yeah, I'm surprised at the lack of it after 5 episodes in. It's definitely not turning out how I expected.
Lol

And there's still more to come. 2 more volumes of Monogatari S2 should be out this year too!

I couldn't do that (with the money I have). My money goes towards games instead of any other hobbies. And I'm glad I'm not a PVC collector too.

Games, anime, PVCs, I don't have that kind of cash.

Syrinx

Dirty Pair 15

They took being had by that old man pretty well. Too well, frankly. Hunt that bastard down and get your end of the deal, dammit!

Yesterday I binged through Attack on Titan. All 25 episodes.

I'm still reeling. This is the first anime series I've watched since DBZ probably 15 years ago or whatever.

God damn that was good. I have some theories I posted in the OT. It reminded me a lot of Big O (I lied, I watched that too after DBZ)

Jeezus. Anyone else got any realllly good anime suggestions?

I'm still reeling. This is the first anime series I've watched since DBZ probably 15 years ago or whatever.

God damn that was good. I have some theories I posted in the OT. It reminded me a lot of Big O (I lied, I watched that too after DBZ)

Madoka Magica and Gurren Lagann.

Watch them. They're amazing.

Thoraxes

I couldn't do that (with the money I have). My money goes towards games instead of any other hobbies. And I'm glad I'm not a PVC collector too.

Games, anime, PVCs, I don't have that kind of cash.
I don't do figures, but I do buy games in addition to anime. I have a list of about 10 or so to get by the end of the year. But with games there are tons of ways to save lots of money on video games, so it's easier with them.

Figures are too much for my budget... right now at any rate.

Vylash

Have you seen School Days?

Edit: I do want to start by saying I'm glad that my theory of 'Attack on Titan is the best gateway anime' is holding true.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Fate Zero
3. Berserk (both manga and the three movies released)
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
7. Steins Gate
8. Yamato 2199
9. Baccano
10. Gintama
11. Black Lagoon
12. Monster
13. Ghost in the Shell (SAC and sequel)
14. Psycho-Pass
15. Space Brothers

AoT was pretty grimdark fantasy, so Berserk might be your best bet there. Though Fate Zero is also pretty dark themed, but that's more modern fantasy.

Sword Art Online.....

Bwahahahaha. I am just kidding. :3

Well.... if you really haven't watched that much anime, I would say start off with FullMetal Alchemist.

And then as you watch more shows like FMA you'll probably have a craving to watch psychological thrillers, RomCom's and Slice of Life's.

I was going to recommend more but if AoT and DBZ is really the extent of your anime viewing than just start with FMA. Maybe Death Note right after since AoT is directed by the same guy who directed DN.

Thoraxes

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

You seem like someone who may enjoy Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Hellsing or Hell sing Ultimate. Jojo is great too. More actiony type stuff.

Clov

If you're going to watch Berserk, watch the TV series. Much better than the movies with their terrible battle CG. I love Studio 4C, but they were not the right people for that project.

The Netflix PS3 app is pretty bad for watching anime. :| It can't display dialogue subtitles and text subtitles at the same time so one ends up dominating and the other disappears. Usually it is the dialogue subtitles that get kicked off the screen.

Moaradin

All you need is Hunter x Hunter.

If he's as new to this as he says he is, starting off with that much crazy might be a bit too much ATM. :p

You're evil.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Fate Zero
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
7. Steins Gate
8. Yamato 2199
9. Baccano
10. Gintama
11. Black Lagoon
12. Monster
14. Psycho-Pass
15. Space Brothers

AoT was pretty grimdark fantasy, so Berserk might be your best bet there. Though Fate Zero is also pretty dark themed, but that's more modern fantasy.

Yeah Fate/Zero and FMA are good ones for people just starting out.

Blue Blazes 01

It was curious.

I have an existential question. Why do they ham it up so much?

I get it's supposed to be exaggerated like an anime or a manga but I would say it's even more exaggerated than your average anime or manga!

Because there is no real value in the interpretation, direction, photography, etc, this would be better as a documentary about the people of these groups in that era, which is the interesting part.

If you're going to watch Berserk, watch the TV series. Much better than the movies with their terrible battle CG. I love Studio 4C, but they were not the right people for that project.

If you're going to watch Berserk don't, read the manga neither the original anime nor the CG movies does the series justice

But that one is more censored if I recall correctly. Not to mention I'm not sure how willing he is to watch an older looking anime. Plus that ends in a horrible cliffhanger, while the films don't. I'll always recommend the films over the tv series for these aspects.

edit: though the manga is always the best option.

Also when you become more comfortable watching anime you should really look into watching Key/KyoAni anime.

Especially Clannad After Story and Hyouka. :)

Try this.

Uchouten Kazoku
Hunter x Hunter
Shinsekai Yori
Gurren Lagan
Tsuritama
Fate Zero
Steins Gate
Level E
Madoka
The Tatami Galaxy
Full Metal Alchemist
Ghost in the shell SAC
Planetes
Gankotsou
FLCL
Cowboy Bebop
Gunslinger Girl
Golden Boy
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Code Geass

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Also when you become more comfortable watching anime you should really look into watching Key/KyoAni anime.

Especially Clannad After Story and Hyouka. :)
Seeing as KyoAni's Haruhi was one of my first shows and Nichijou was one of the first shows I watched while it was current and got me into following seasons I don't really see why their shows can't be seen as "beginner friendly". They have good animation and are pretty inoffensive.

Clov

If you're going to watch Berserk don't, read the manga neither the original anime nor the CG movies does the series justice

But that one is more censored if I recall correctly. Not to mention I'm not sure how willing he is to watch an older looking anime. Plus that ends in a horrible cliffhanger, while the films don't. I'll always recommend the films over the tv series for these aspects.

edit: though the manga is always the best option.

I'm not someone who's read the manga, but I thought it was fantastic. Even if it's not as explicit with its violence. You recommended a bunch of older anime, plus they've seen Big O; I'm sure they'd be fine with something from the late 90s.

The way I see the Berserk TV series is that it's a sort of character study. We start with Guts as this very enigmatic figure in the future, and the rest of the anime goes to explain what made him like that. It's true that it may leave the audience on a cliffhanger with regards to the overall story of the Berserk universe. However, the story of how Guts became the Black Swordsman, a question that lies at the core of the anime, is resolved. That story on its own is wonderful enough to make the original Berserk anime worth watching, I think.

Edit: I do want to start by saying I'm glad that my theory of 'Attack on Titan is the best gateway anime' is holding true.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Fate Zero
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
7. Steins Gate
8. Yamato 2199
9. Baccano
10. Gintama
11. Black Lagoon
12. Monster
14. Psycho-Pass
15. Space Brothers

Sword Art Online.....

Bwahahahaha. I am just kidding. :3

Well.... if you really haven't watched that much anime, I would say start off with FullMetal Alchemist.

And then as you watch more shows like FMA you'll probably have a craving to watch psychological thrillers, RomCom's and Slice of Life's.

I was going to recommend more but if AoT and DBZ is really the extent of your anime viewing than just start with FMA. Maybe Death Note right after since AoT is directed by the same guy who directed DN.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.

You seem like someone who may enjoy Darker Than Black, Black Lagoon, and Hellsing or Hell sing Ultimate. Jojo is great too. More actiony type stuff.

All you need is Hunter x Hunter.

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

When I said I watched DBZ, I meant that was one of the few anime series I watched through completion.

Back when I was in elementary school over 15 years ago I did watch Sailor Moon but I barely remember any of it. I also watched a little bit of Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, etc...I think you can see where I'm going with this. Basically shows that were on Toonami. I tried watching Samurai Champloo a few years back but never finished it. It didn't "hook" me as well as AoT did. I'll definitely give all these suggestions a shot though!

Thanks everyone!

Theonik

Physical media prices in general are much higher in Japan than in the West. The problem is compounded by the fact that commodity pricing in the anime industry is already designed around exploiting a relative handful of obsessive and affluent collectors, and it's not uncommon for anime series to be broken down into two-episode volumes sold at nearly $100 per volume. This box set is actually a "discount" on a per-episode basis since it's a compilation rerelease of an old series, but still absurdly expensive by any reasonable standard.
It's even cheaper than other 50 episode series boxesets! The (80s/90s) Gundam sets were released in 2 30K yen volumes!

Stuff like that is pretty much for hardcore collectors that would be willing to put up the price. And they know there are fans out there who will pay that much.

Hell, I payed $550 for the TTGL BD-Box and have zero regrets.
You know I was making fun of you for that. (hell I still am. The price is dumb even by Japanese standards for what is offered) but having just spend $210 for what is basically 4 episodes (5.5 on usual 20 min standard or 12 10 min episodes) of RGZ I kinda lose some of my right to.

Few and far between mostly
Business as usual basically.

Seeing as KyoAni's Haruhi was one of my first shows and Nichijou was one of the first shows I watched while it was current and got me into following seasons I don't really see why their shows can't be seen as "beginner friendly". They have good animation and are pretty inoffensive.

Well he's insinuated that he's just started and only watched DBZ and AoT. So I wanted to recommend "beginner friendly" shows that were up his ally (Shonen shows) that's why I said FMA and Fate/Zero were good choices. He may like Death Note because the AoT director directed that too. If he likes DN or any other SoL/RomCom I will know that I can recommend him stuff that is more like the shows I love like KyoAni shows.

I mean by all means if he wants to watch Haruhi Suzumiya, Clannad, Kanon (2006), Hyouka, Toradora, AnoHana, Baka & Test or Sabagebu I will be thrilled. But I wanted to recommend something that, given the current information about him, I know for a fact he would like.

Vylash

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

When I said I watched DBZ, I meant that was one of the few anime series I watched through completion.

Back when I was in elementary school over 15 years ago I did watch Sailor Moon but I barely remember any of it. I also watched a little bit of Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, etc...I think you can see where I'm going with this. Basically shows that were on Toonami. I tried watching Samurai Champloo a few years back but never finished it. It didn't "hook" me as well as AoT did. I'll definitely give all these suggestions a shot though!

Thanks everyone!
I was kidding when I said School Days, please don't watch School Days

Clov

A mistake you should correct right now my friend. Go read it. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT. JUST DO IT. NIKE STYLE.

I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually, but with how long it's taking to finish I might be better off waiting a couple more years
/decades

Shortpants, as another recommendation, if you want a really fun shounen anime to watch, I'd recommend Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012).

Barakamon Episode 5

That was a really great episode, so good. This beach episode was well done with everyone once again acting realistic and the way there interactions was conveyed as plain fun was great. I'm shocked and also grateful that this episode didn't contain a bit of fanservice. Considering that most beach episodes in anime contain fanservice. Also that serious scene was nicely done as it actually made me feel a bit tense. That ending scene with Madao was hilarious, that frizzy hair.

We also got to see Handa's tsundere side.
tumblr_n9qbg0heAR1r2gwz1o1_500.gif

The OST in this episode was nicely added and helped emphasize some of the scenes. And the ending song for some reason always gets me.

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 5

iNwh75QeIOpfk.gif

The little bit of goodwill generated from the previous episode has been jettisoned out the space lock.

Hey show, remember when you depicted
tons of people falling to their deaths in the previous episode?
Well, it kind of weakens your tone and credibility when you have an episode right after that with unnecessary fanservice. Fucking anime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom