• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

When I said I watched DBZ, I meant that was one of the few anime series I watched through completion.

Back when I was in elementary school over 15 years ago I did watch Sailor Moon but I barely remember any of it. I also watched a little bit of Outlaw Star, Rurouni Kenshin, etc...I think you can see where I'm going with this. Basically shows that were on Toonami. I tried watching Samurai Champloo a few years back but never finished it. It didn't "hook" me as well as AoT did. I'll definitely give all these suggestions a shot though!

Thanks everyone!

I used to watch anime when it was Saturday morning "cartoons" on WB Kids. Don't worry you're in good company.

And hey if you don't mind posting your impressions as you watch these shows that would be awesome. I would love to see what you think of these shows so in the future we can recommend better stuff for you.

I was kidding when I said School Days, please don't watch School Days

See what you've done?

I barely survived that. What happens if he watches it. He will swear off anime forever and I wouldn't blame him. :p

I was kidding when I said School Days, please don't watch School Days

Haha, got it!

I used to watch anime when it was Saturday morning "cartoons" on WB Kids. Don't worry you're in good company.

And hey if you don't mind posting your impressions as you watch these shows that would be awesome. I would love to see what you think of these shows so in the future we can recommend better stuff for you.

Definitely, will do!

Knights of Sidonia Ep. 5

iNwh75QeIOpfk.gif

The little bit of goodwill generated from the previous episode has been jettisoned out the space lock.

that's the one where he drinks her piss right?

Thoraxes

It's even cheaper than other 50 episode series boxesets! The (80s/90s) Gundam sets were released in 2 30K yen volumes!

You know I was making fun of you for that. (hell I still am. The price is dumb even by Japanese standards for what is offered) but having just spend $210 for what is basically 4 episodes (5.5 on usual 20 min standard or 12 10 min episodes) of RGZ I kinda lose some of my right to.

Business as usual basically.
Lol yeah. We all have the ones we really want. And it's good as long as we can justify it to ourselves.

TTGL is about the only series I'd ever spend that much money on though. I can't think of anything else, maybe outside of Bebop and Outlaw Star BDs that I'd spend that much for.

School Days helps you grow as a person.

Yes it made me grow...... and appreciate the anime I do love.

I still have mental scars but at least I can now laugh about it. Until someone tricks me into watching the last few minutes again....

That innocent act will get you nowhere, we know you want to fool some people into watching that.

Underneath all that innocence is a sadist. :p

Why can't harem shows just be good clean family entertainment like Girls Bravo?

LOL!!

It's the one where harem member #1 (or is she #2? I can't keep track of these characters) gives her filtered urine to the protagonist while blushing, among other things.

Yeah.

i thought that was hilarious because
not a minute later they find a water source, so they kinda just have that scene......because.
i think it's supposed to demonstrate their bond or something, but that's kind of impossible given the subject matter.

Durarara! 02

You play a dangerous game Nakura.

I think this has its hooks in me now. This was a great episode and I want to watch more. The beginning confused me though as it looks like they're telling a story about a girl and the trouble with her parents but then it switches to another girl during what happens in the present day.

Haha, got it!

Definitely, will do!

Hey if you do one day watch Gintama don't mind the 25 or so episodes as it's just basically introducing most of the characters. The series after all has like 264 episodes, but it's one amazing ride. One of the best Shonen shows out there with most impressions being positive.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Yes it made me grow...... and appreciate the anime I do love.

I still have mental scars but at least I can now laugh about it. Until someone tricks me into watching the last few minutes again....
I don't get why people don't like the ending. It delivered exactly what I wanted. It was a good ending. They often say anime is about the journey and not the ending (which is why so many end on a bum note) but School Days manages to tick both boxes, but you can only truly appreciate the ending if you go on that journey. This is why I consider those who only watch the ending a waste of space.

Irregular at Magic High School 18

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

"I'm just a regular high school student"

This after he's just massacred a room full of dudes with long range sniper magic that apparently is extremely difficult to use

And of course poor rival boy wants to dance with the sister so bad... and every girl in the school wants to dance with onii-sama, and the whole time they just think of each other.

That last dance with Tatsuya and Miyuki by the fountain that turns on when they being their last dance just LOLOLOL

Oh god this series I can't deal

It's the one where harem member #1 (or is she #2? I can't keep track of these characters) gives her filtered urine to the protagonist while blushing, among other things.

Yeah.

Oh god... for what it's worth, that's the worst scene in that anime. But holy shit...the way he was eagerly sucking away, no. No!

And the blushing is the worst thing in that show. It happens so frequently and LOOKS SO BAD. When you have to complain about awful looking CGI blushing you know something's off.

Personally I'll never let go how there was a talking walking robotic mama bear, and nobody even mentioned it. I understand you're used to weird shit fighting aliens and crap, but nobody could seriously ask "her?"

Personally I'll never let go how there was a talking walking robotic mama bear, and nobody even mentioned it. I understand you're used to weird shit fighting aliens and crap, but nobody could seriously ask "her?"

Is this series that bad? I was going to check out the manga, but decided to buy all eight volumes of Osamu Tezuka's Pluto manga instead.

I don't get why people don't like the ending. It delivered exactly what I wanted. It was a good ending. They often say anime is about the journey and not the ending (which is why so many end on a bum note) but School Days manages to tick both boxes, but you can only truly appreciate the ending if you go on that journey. This is why I consider those who only watch the ending a waste of space.

Oh no don't get me wrong the MC totally
got what he deserved
. That I didn't mind. What did me in though was when the
one girl dissected his head showed it to Sekai and them proceeded to kill and literally cut her open with a butcher knife
. That's when I was horrified.
No sympathy was shed for the MC when he died. Sekai and the other girl is another story altogether.

You wouldn't believe it but that character plays a semi-important role and is part of some flashbacks etc.

Yet, despite appearing a bunch of times, I don't think there's any explanation about her 'being' whatsoever.

You wouldn't believe it but that character plays a semi-important role and is part of some flashbacks etc.

Yet, despite appearing a bunch of times, I don't think there's any explanation about her 'being' whatsoever.
Its explained in the manga but yea I did find it weird they never explained it in the anime.

Like you just have to take it at face value.

cajunator

Banned
Yesterday I binged through Attack on Titan. All 25 episodes.

I'm still reeling. This is the first anime series I've watched since DBZ probably 15 years ago or whatever.

God damn that was good. I have some theories I posted in the OT. It reminded me a lot of Big O (I lied, I watched that too after DBZ)

Jeezus. Anyone else got any realllly good anime suggestions?

Watch From The New World. It is a decently complex story with some fascinating twists and a foreboding atmosphere. Very interesting series.

Edit: I do want to start by saying I'm glad that my theory of 'Attack on Titan is the best gateway anime' is holding true.

1. Cowboy Bebop
2. Fate Zero
3. Berserk (both manga and the three movies released)
4. Samurai Champloo
5. Great Teacher Onizuka
6. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood
7. Steins Gate
8. Yamato 2199
9. Baccano
10. Gintama
11. Black Lagoon
12. Monster
13. Ghost in the Shell (SAC and sequel)
14. Psycho-Pass
15. Space Brothers

AoT was pretty grimdark fantasy, so Berserk might be your best bet there. Though Fate Zero is also pretty dark themed, but that's more modern fantasy.

Also a good list. Good dog.

Durarara!! 03

This anime is going to turn into a "spot the Baccano! easter eggs" series for me.

A lot of character introduction and it looks like Izaya goes by many names. None of the main characters seem that interesting so far, hopefully that changes soon.

Necrovex

One Piece (The Kai Version); The Return to Sabaody Arc

I caught up on reading One Piece earlier today; I just reached the New World era. I read on here that a group of editors (One Pace) went and fixed the major pacing problems in latter parts of One Piece. Thus I decided to give the anime another shot.

Holy balls, no flashbacks, no dragging sequences, and no super awkward transitions. This edition is great!

Anyway, two years have quickly gone by. A group of phony ass pirates disguising themselves as Luffy's crew (no way that could have gone wrong!).
All the new designs look wonderful. I am ready to return to animated One Piece!

Oh no don't get me wrong the MC totally
got what he deserved
. That I didn't mind. What did me in though was when the
one girl dissected his head showed it to Sekai and them proceeded to kill and literally cut her open with a butcher knife
. That's when I was horrified.
No sympathy was shed for the MC when he died. Sekai and the other girl is another story altogether.

Sekai got what she deserved too

I wish more anime would take the 'my parents are dead' Batman drama. More often than not I see the parents being gone/dead as simply a method to have that character live by themselves and be independent. When every excuse isn't 'MY PARENTS. ARE. DEAAAD' then what's the point.

Oh shit Terra Formars TV anime is gonna air on September 26.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2014-08-02/terra-formars-tv-series-will-premiere-on-september-26/.77229

On that day so many people being buthurt shall commence or maybe August 20th.

Huh, so I guess they won't be doing the prologue chapter if they're starting with BUGS 2. Or maybe they'll do it in a short cold opening to give an idea of the roach threat.

Either way, kind of hard to cover the "Annex I" arc when it's the entire series after the single volume of BUGS 2.

I wish more anime would take the 'my parents are dead' Batman drama. More often than not I see the parents being gone/dead as simply a method to have that character live by themselves and be independent. When every excuse isn't 'MY PARENTS. ARE. DEAAAD' then what's the point.
Much like college, the typical anime audience wouldn't relate to a character having feelings about their parents.
Just search up the designs of the humanoid roaches and you'll know why.
Indeed, people are going to go into the show and quickly be put off by the ignorance on display.

Huh, so I guess they won't be doing the prologue chapter if they're starting with BUGS 2. Or maybe they'll do it in a short cold opening to give an idea of the roach threat.

Either way, kind of hard to cover the "Annex I" arc when it's the entire series after the single volume of BUGS 2.

Aren't the 2 OVAs covering that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom