• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.
But would SHAFT go into the insane detail of said fanservice? THAT'S THE QUESTION

Prison School will pretty much make this place a graveyard I bet

fertygo

This shiet sure something that SHAFT would put hand in.

Terraformars and Prison School airing in same season? Anime finally ded for good.

Hanayamata - 01

SHow is good. Glad i watched it.
This is some good friendship that is starting
Hanayamata%20-%2001.jpg

That's the thing you'd ask to a fairy ?

Our transfert student is quite energic and ressourcefull , something is wrong here.
Not to mention her face .. i hope i'll be able to get used to it.

Other than that it was good . Yep there is potential in this anime.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Sounds bad.
I don't think a lot of people on here would like it. Most of the enjoyment I get out of reading it comes from the art and layouts, which seem like the kind of thing that'd be flubbed when Prison School is being translated between mediums. The manga has a fairly distinct visual style that seems like the sort of thing that an animation studio would white wash, but it's an essential component to some of the moments being over the top.

fertygo

Where the hell Swagmoto's anime adaptation then? proper anime adaptation might push it as 2nd biggest manga in Japan, does these publisher hate monies?

Wow that actually not completely rubbish

I don't think a lot of people on here would like it. Most of the enjoyment I get out of reading it comes from the art and layouts, which seem like the kind of thing that'd be flubbed when Prison School is being translated between mediums. The manga has a fairly distinct visual style that seems like the sort of thing that an animation studio would white wash, but it's an essential component to some of the moments being over the top.

Which is why it's a make or break situation with this particular show.

I actually watched Knights of Sidonia from beginning to end the other day; it wasn't terrible, but it wasn't that great. I couldn't help but think of it as a crappy version of NGE with a different art style and frame rate lag because why not. I was also super annoyed by the fact that all the characters looked like they were ice skating on concrete when walking around, and that apparently nobody in that entire facility has ever had human interactions that weren't awkward as shit. The writing was also pretty mediocre. And why was there a bear-person that didn't freak everyone out?

The manga has a fairly distinct visual style that seems like the sort of thing that an animation studio would white wash, but it's an essential component to some of the moments being over the top.

That distinct visual style is boobs and butts. I don't know how on Earth they're going to do an adaptation of this fit for human eyes.

Quasar

otoh this

Solid gold that is. Do wonder if someone will have enough balls to try and make an anime out of it. Ditto for Minamoto-kun Monogatari.

Edit: Guess there is someone will to try and make a Prison School anime. Look forward to the animegaf carnage.

_hekk05

Banned
2ch says prison school director is 水島努 (tentative)

No source, but here's his JP wiki

Code:
キヨシ 梶裕貴 
ハナ  花澤香菜 
会長  早見沙織

Jarmel

Banned

Code:
キヨシ 梶裕貴 
ハナ  花澤香菜 
会長  早見沙織

Mizushima? Oh lawd.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
That distinct visual style is boobs and butts. I don't know how on Earth they're going to do an adaptation of this fit for human eyes.
Forget that stuff. There's actually some legit background art and incredible faces.

KiN0

Hi, I don't usually post here but someone had posted a picture of a cartoon bird having an argument with her mate about the way he spends all his money on alcohol and I can't remember what it was called. If anyone here knows what it's called it'd be great if you would tell me.

_hekk05

Banned
Apparently there's a 監獄戦艦 craze on 2ch right now

Hail prison kancolles!

Also reminder there's no source! Don't lynch me if not true

Jarmel

Banned
Space Dandy 2-5

I really enjoyed this as a breather and also liked the artstyle especially near the end(it reminded me weirdly enough of Shel Silverstein's stuff).

Code:
キヨシ 梶裕貴 
ハナ  花澤香菜 
会長  早見沙織

Smells fake to me. But while I would normally have no interest in a Prison School anime, I would watch one for Tsutomu Mizushima.

TUSR

Banned
Hanayamata - 01

SHow is good. Glad i watched it.
This is some good friendship that is starting

Our transfert student is quite energic and ressourcefull , something is wrong here.
Not to mention her face .. i hope i'll be able to get used to it.

Other than that it was good . Yep there is potential in this anime.

I've been looking for another show to pick up this season, is this it?

Link Man

Banned
I've been looking for another show to pick up this season, is this it?

HaNaYaMaTa is a great cute girls slice of life. Watch it if that sounds good to you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nozaki-kun 5

It was a great episode! The tanuki...and the tanuki....tanuki....

Oh, but Maeno-san is pretty good. And did...did Nozaki just compare him to an elephant?

lol, the handcart.

Is it just me, or is this exercise starting to turn Mamiko into a shonen-type character?

8D

Shergal

Mizushima sounds fake as hell, and the kind of wet dream-esque unrealistic staff 'leakings' 2ch comes up with on a daily basis.

But sure, I'd be down for another Mizushima show. No clue about the manga, but the art looks fairly realistic and checking out some pages the humour seems to arise partly from the clash between said art and the over-the-top reactions. Mizushima is much more of a cartoony guy, I don't know how he would handle it, but in terms of understanding comedy I can't think of someone better in the industry.

Forget that stuff. There's actually some legit background art and incredible faces.

Oh no, there is, certainly. But it's going to be a task to make this into something they can air on television. This series sometimes doesn't seem too far off from an H-manga at times.

I'm sure we covered this last time but as the series comes from a purely 4koma background, I find what the adaptation manages to do quite remarkable.

The main thing is that while Sora is viewed primarily as the central focus of the show with her having the greatest number of scenes and her narration closing and ending the episodes, the ancillary cast is as important role as hers. Her character by and large is a fairly quiet and insular one so these other people are vital to help develop her along.

It's quite telling that despite all this, Sora is still quite happy to go off on her own and leave all this behind. Personally this is what I like the most; the regular day to day stuff is there continuously but she's still willing to go off and do things by herself.

I will agree that there is definitely a disparity in the introspective moments and the comedy elements. The comedy stays a lot truer to it's original source for these as it strings numerous strips together to become a more coherent product.

For the others though, it's a lot harder to gain a sense of the tranquility when you're trapped in a rigid format with a prescribed beginning, middle and end. This is where the anime comes more into it's own and expands these out into more full fleshed segment that have far greater impact - like the rainy day excursion.

While I keep bringing the manga to anime adaptation disparity, the series is most often brought up as a comparison to Aria since both are seen as "healing" series but this always strikes me as a bit unfair when Aria's source is a more properly formed series of events in each chapter and Sketchbook's is a continual series of one shots about day to day events.

Thanks for the write up though! It's always interesting to read other people's takes on it.

It's interesting you bring up the development of Sora coming into her own and, to an extent, giving herself the confidence to speak out. I can see flashes of that development in numerous episodes, which grounds those introspective moments when she shares them with another person like the Kurihara episode or the ones involving Negishi's younger sister. I wanted to try to incorporate my thoughts on how that crosswalk scene was handled in the last episode in my final impressions, but couldn't quite find the right way to fit it in. To me, I understood that it was supposed to be a big moment for Sora, but the focus wasn't quite there throughout the series, which resulted in it falling flat for me.

And regarding the Aria comparisons, I completely agree with you there. Unfortunately, I don't have quite the frame of reference for other healing shows yet. Some things still helped me with illustrating the point I was trying to go for.

I appreciate the reply!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom