• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Uh oh I think I started a war

Animegaf is always at war with itself.

Hanayamata - 01

Decided to give this a look after firehawk12 made the claim that it was a show that both of us could support. If you know firehawk12 and myself, that's a bold statement to make! First episode was really enjoyable. The main leads seem interesting enough, the purity is present, and the visuals are godly.

You win this round firehawk12! :p

This show is just gorgeous looking. Even if it has a cute little shark monster girl in it.

Martian Successor Nadesico

So, before I lay this series the rest of the way to bed, I wanted to take a minute to talk about one of my favorite parts of it. Early on, Yurika Misumaru, the titular Nadesico's captain, wonders what her role as captain is on a largely autonomous battleship. Ruri Hoshino, the resident brainiac, responds that originally captains were older men who could inspire their crews, but with advances in battleship technology, they had become more and more simply young, sexy people for whom crews could pine, rather than fear and be inspired by.

It should be no surprise that Martian Successor Nadesico is commenting on the state of affairs in anime at this moment, since the show dedicates a fair amount of time to doing precisely that. (From Akito's speech about last minute resurrections being a sham to Akatsuki's quip about anime in which both sides have just reasons for fighting
Both being subverted when the Admiral comes back from the dead anyway and when Akatsuki's reasons for his own actions are shown to be selfish and ambitious
), but I hadn't ever really considered this particular line as relative to the progression of Captains in anime.

I confess I'm not much of an expert on this subject, but I kind of see the point Nadesico's making here. In older anime I've watched, the captain usually looks like this:

And in newer anime the captain tends to look like this:

And of course, Yurika Misumaru herself introduces herself to her crew like this:

Now, obviously the law isn't ironclad, and the examples I've provided are more indicators of a progression of visual trends than of actual competence of the captains, since I think that Tessa does a splendid job as Captain of her sub (note: FMP came out after MSN so it doesn't figure in much anyway, I guess.). And of course, their are exceptions to even the time of all this. I mean look at this guy:

But the point of Bright is to be young and incompetent at first, and to grow into the role. All the same, what I really like is that Nadesico points this out and then decides to give Yurika hell for it for the rest of the series. At first brush she's everything wrong with an anime captain: A spacey, flighty young woman who is annoyingly talented, allegedly intelligent, and more often than not too busy trying to fuck her best pilot to notice that things are going batty onboard her own ship. What I love about Yurika, though, is that at the moments when nobody expects anything more than this of her, she often proves to be every bit as worthy a captain as her bearded predecessors. When her own father is attempting to commandeer her vessel, Yurika promptly makes an enemy of the entire Earth Forces to defend her crew. When Akatsuki thinks to manipulate her into surrendering the ruins to him, Yurika begins to fire upon them in an effort to end the war herself. At frequent points she manages to outwit enemies who underestimate her specifically because she's a flighty young woman.

In a very real sense, Yurika is the main attraction of Nadesico. It's her ship, and she owns it. When her crew dies, she feels it, and when they're in danger she steps up to the plate to save them. Though young and occasionally rash, Yurika is also remarkably level-headed at times (like when she opted to be left behind by Akito until he could reach the ship and bring back a rescue for her.) I don't really know or think that the show is out to make a huge statement, but I do appreciate how much effort goes into proving that despite her appearance, Yurika is a capable captain and not just eye-candy on the bridge for the sake of an added curve.

I prefer the newer captains. In particular the one named after a Ferrari.

SVfgudz.jpg

PRISON SCHOOL ANIME

Whats this? Looks ever so slightly intriguing.

I'm trying not to be too negative about the Prison School anime, but the more I think about it the more disappointed I know I'll be when the art won't get anywhere near the manga's quality and the lewd will almost certainly be toned down massively. It's such an important part of Prison School.

Oh well. Prison School's a great manga so I should try to be optimistic.

Theonik

I'm trying not to be too negative about the Prison School anime, but the more I think about it the more disappointed I know I'll be when the art won't get anywhere near the manga's quality and the lewd will almost certainly be toned down massively. It's such an important part of Prison School.

Just do the sensible thing and tone your expectations down so that you even forget it's coming till you see impressions in here.
It's the pro way of doing it.

Just do the sensible thing and tone your expectations down so that you even forget it's coming till you see impressions in here.
It's the pro way of doing it.

I guess.

As Dimb said, the studio will make or break it. It needs a studio that's either incredibly technically good or a studio with such a strong style that they can adapt it in a way that works for anime.

Like, who is ever going to do a scene like this justice in terms of art?

Basically what you guys are trying to tell me is that I shouldn't read prison school?

you should absolutely read Prison School. It's one of the greatest comedies of our time.

Theonik

Basically what you guys are trying to tell me is that I shouldn't read prison school?
We are saying you should and be enlightened.

I guess.

As Dimb said, the studio will make or break it. It needs a studio that's either incredibly technically good or a studio with such a strong style that they can adapt it in a way that works for anime.

Wait and see and don't succumb to hype. The manga isn't going anywhere.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Depends on what you want from prison school.

A deeply nuanced story? No.

Great art? Yes.

No fanservice? No.

Twisting the notion and concept of fanservice to an absurd extreme that it turns into a sort of surrealist humour? Yes.

Being fucking hilarious in general? Yes.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I guess.

If it happens they're never going to get to this part, but I would love to see how the fuck would anyone animate this scene.

Great art? Yes.

No fanservice? No.

Twisting the notion and concept of fanservice to an absurd extreme that it turns into a sort of surrealist humour? Yes.

I started the manga time ago, but I dropped before what it seems the redeeming factor, the surrealist humour, started. From what I've seen in the manga thread there are some funny and really surreal shit in the later chapters. But the first ones were just ewww.

/XX/

Mizushima should be busy with the Girls und Panzer movie. Looks like fake.
Depending on what season this will be planned to air in I find it possible... remember this is workaholic Mr. Mizushima who handled simultaneous production time for Rakugo Girls, the Squid Girl OVA and Girls und Panzer (add to this last one planning & pre-production, with an emphasis on military equipment research, that was probably several times larger being a original work) while coming from handling two previous series in consecutive seasons as were Another and the second season of Squid Girl TV series too.

Don't you trust in the strength and might of our C.O.? :-D

BluWacky

I'm only vaguely aware of KanColle - it's some kind of mobile naval strategy game where the ships aren't ships but cute girls, right? So the draw is the myriad waifus more than anything else, presumably, ergo not my cup of tea unless this adaptation has some particularly entertaining plot line.

I don't have a big issue with the CG here - I actually think it looks kind of good and the action animation isn't bad at all in my opinion (it's not very interesting, but it's dynamic at the very least). It's everything else that doesn't really look up my street.

fml i wish there was a way to disable gifs on webgaf as well as mobilegaf... tethering from my limited phone plan atm and animegaf is going to become a hazard zone until I get my hikari net hooked up

need to watch nozaki-kun ;___;
Same thing .I often do it on my phone when i'm travelling.

I'm IN.
So much IN ..

I mean i was waiting for it already but now . ALL IN

The only thing not going my way is that log horizon 2 won't have database OP.

That's a high bar to overcome

Nothing will be able to top "database" , so as long as they try to get close to it , it'll be alright

Jarmel

Banned

Great art? Yes.

No fanservice? No.

123987-swiggity-swooty-comin-for-dat-hRxY.gif

cajunator

Banned
Imagine the suspenseful intensity and escalation of Death Note combined with lewd. Also the art is amazing.

You've got my attention

Hanayamata - 01

SHow is good. Glad i watched it.
This is some good friendship that is starting

Our transfert student is quite energic and ressourcefull , something is wrong here.
Not to mention her face .. i hope i'll be able to get used to it.

Other than that it was good . Yep there is potential in this anime.

Hanayamata is gorgeous beyond belief. Naru is squeedorable like Fujimiya in One Week Friends.

True.

Girl is cute, will watch.

I concur, MR BEAR
Are you getting a special package today or tomorrow?

I've been looking for another show to pick up this season, is this it?

Hell yeah it is!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Btw, Prison School win 37th Kodansha Manga Award for general manga

Judging members: Yuma Ando (Psychometrer), Miwa Ueda (Peach Girl), Tohru Fujisawa (GTO), Kousuke Fujishima (Oh My Goddess!), Takeshi Maekawa (Ironfist Chinmi), Akemi Matsunae (Renai Naika 25 Ji), and Norifusa Mita (Dragon Zakura)

Previous winner of this award: Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Mushishi, Moyashimon.

It's legit a great manga though i have to admit, early chapter is kinda weak, then the prison thing happening...

Btw, Prison School win 37th Kodansha Manga Award for general manga

Judging members: Yuma Ando (Psychometrer), Miwa Ueda (Peach Girl), Tohru Fujisawa (GTO), Kousuke Fujishima (Oh My Goddess!), Takeshi Maekawa (Ironfist Chinmi), Akemi Matsunae (Renai Naika 25 Ji), and Norifusa Mita (Dragon Zakura)

Previous winner of this award: Vinland Saga, Vagabond, Mushishi, Moyashimon.

It's legit a great manga though i have to admit, early chapter is kinda weak, then the prison thing happening...
Hot damn if Vagabond and GTO are in the same vicinity I'mma start today yo.

Also i need to actually read vagabond I stopped for no reason.

Nordicus

I've personally always been so sure that Prison School would never ever ever be adapted because of how constantly and overwhelmingly lewd and beautifully drawn it is (how the fuck is that weekly???), so even if the anime is watered down and just plain trash, it can't hurt the manga in my mind. It's just so untouchable

e_i

The first Kancolle anime advert looks stupid as shit.
And freaking awesome. Needs some Shimakaze and Yuubari though.

There is a good reason for stopping reading Vagabod: it was on hiatus for a long time.
I stopped way before the latest chapter though. I don't mind catching up with manga on hiatus/moving slowly. Did it with Berserk so I can suffer with my brethren. Well depends.

I'm only reading one currently running western comic, fables. And that's not too many issues away from finishing. So instead of catching up and having to wait like basically a whole year I'd rather wait till there's like 2 months left and catch up.

Ojamajo Doremi 30
After 30 episodes, Umakoshi finally got off his lazy ass and actually worked, lol.
As expected, it moves more than usual, has stronger drawings in general and it's really a kick to watch. Igarashi delivers again from the director spot and rounds off the antics and comedy with a solid episodic story that hits all the beats it needs to.

The step up in visual fidelity is really noticeable when both the director and the sakkan for an episode are extremely talented. Umakoshi not only directs the animation, he provides KA himself and calls up his buddy Sushio to help out!

Gotta say, ever since the mid-season climax started, the show has kicked into high-hear. The comedy in these later episodes is as good as the show's ever been, and there's always a great deal of characterization sprung around episodes. I don't think they'll be able to ride the momentum until the finale, but there's still a couple of Igarashi and Satou episodes left as well as the two Yamauchi ones which I'm very much looking forward to.

I tthink it was either 34 or 35 which I consider one of the best eps for this season.

Why is that?
Because it's an Aiko episode, which probably will set the true tone of what to expect with her.

I have 200MB on my mobile data plan...

Now you know why I'm a stickler for keeping gifs small.

That a lots of big gifs can slow down even the fastest of machines

200MB? I have 3GB! Get on my level!
Both of which are awful

Prison school, Gangsta, Terra Formars all getting an adaptation is so fuckin awesome. Like hell this made my day.

Now all we need is a Shokugeki no Soma adaption. I believe it will happen one day.

mankoto

Aldnoah.Zero 5

I understand that Slaine is supposed to be an emotional person which makes him an opposite of Inaho in a sense... But now you messed up Slaine. You messed up big time. He should've gotten evidence of some kind when he had the chance instead of opening his mouth.

Aldnoah.Zero 5

I understand that Slaine is supposed to be an emotional person which makes him an opposite of Inaho in a sense... But now you messed up Slaine. You messed up big time. He should've gotten evidence of some kind when he had the chance instead of opening his mouth.

The grandpa showed an inclination to stop the war and search for facts about her granddaughter death, so it seems he would side with Slaine. Problem was, the bad guy got earlier than him.

Mokoi

Banned
Aldnoah.Zero 5

You reminded me how dumb this episode was. It's really stupid how Inaho is the only person who knows how to use evasive maneuvers. Sure he supposed to be badass numero uno, but still I find it stupid.

Edit: Also I get the feeling that gramps may be senile.

mankoto

The grandpa showed an inclination to stop the war and search for facts about her granddaughter death, so it seems he would side with Slaine. Problem was, the bad guy got earlier than him.
Yeah I know. But if he hadn't gone there the decision more than likely wouldn't have been reversed.

You reminded me how dumb this episode was. It's really stupid how Inaho is the only person who knows how to use evasive maneuvers. Sure he supposed to be badass numero uno, but still I find it stupid.
I wouldn't even say evasive maneuvers. He's the only one who knows how to think straight apparently. Besides the king I guess, but now he's listening to the wrong people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom