• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer 2014 Anime |OT2| Or, where Jexhius finally watches more Doremi for Hito.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMN

SVfgudz.jpg

PRISON SCHOOL ANIME

I just went ahead and read the manga, and to my surprise this is one of the two manga that make me laugh so much, the 1st being Gintama. I really hope that the anime do the manga justice, especially the character's expression XD

Akame ga Kill 5
Two upcoming antagonists introduced and the purple hair girl is a complete airhead and has a not really sad backstory

Spice and Wolf - 04

Decently entertaining so far. Can't say all this trading business is of high interest to me but it's good enough.

I have to say though, the character Holo just seems like easy pandering. I can try to find justification in round-about ways but the easiest explanation for this 400+ years old Wolf-God being appearing as this beautiful, young lady (with cat/wolf-ears and tail no less) with a lovable personality because it's guaranteed to appeal to a lot of people.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
To those who recommended Ping Pong, thank you so much. I have three episodes to go tonight, but it is always incredible to see when new and meaningful things are done within animation and its storytelling. Not only do I care about the characters, but I am actually rooting for most of them even when they are opposing each other.. Except Kazuma.. so far he's just kind of a dick and with only three episodes left.

mankoto

Pripara 5
All Lala wants is for Sophie to notice her so they can be friends forever but her impenetrable defense force isn't having it. Man, Sophie has some really weird taste in pizzas

PK Gaming

I'd recommend Kanon 2006 since the Japanese VA uses the same voice in that show, but since you've not watching it subbed...

Ahh... Yeah that doesn't seem like something i'd immediately watch unless I was super fond of the VA. Thanks for giving me the heads up though.

BTW, I just realized that Kushieda's english VA is Christina Marie Cabanos.

(*‿*✿)

Midonin

Blade Dance 04

A perfectly satisfactory conclusion to what looks like the first arc. Of all the MF shows, this one is the least standout, but that's not a bad thing. Magical battle harem shows like this are one of the things I like about anime. Glad that Claire has Scarlet back to its cuter, non-corrupted form too.

Jex

I'm trying not to be too negative about the Prison School anime, but the more I think about it the more disappointed I know I'll be when the art won't get anywhere near the manga's quality and the lewd will almost certainly be toned down massively. It's such an important part of Prison School.

Oh well. Prison School's a great manga so I should try to be optimistic.

In general I feel like most people with experience of manga adaptations just know from experience that they will not and cannot resemble the original art. I don't even imagine any anime series looking exactly like the manga (unless the manga has suitably simple character designs). It's just an inescapable part of the process to the point where I couldn't conceive of it working any other way.

Blade Dance 04

A perfectly satisfactory conclusion to what looks like the first arc. Of all the MF shows, this one is the least standout, but that's not a bad thing. Magical battle harem shows like this are one of the things I like about anime. Glad that Claire has Scarlet back to its cuter, non-corrupted form too.

I should have dropped it , but i guess i'm going to give it a chance with his second arc.

But i'm not getting my hopes up.

In general I feel like most people with experience of manga adaptations just know from experience that they will not and cannot resemble the original art. I don't even imagine any anime series looking exactly like the manga (unless the manga has suitably simple character designs). It's just an inescapable part of the process to the point where I couldn't conceive of it working any other way.

Which sucks because Prison School's art is one of the reasons why the manga is so great. And if the art sucks it's gonna be disappointing.

Theonik

It's not even just a matter of detail. Manga is created with the fact that the art is still in mind, so a lot of the gags and expressions as well as stylistic choices are done with that limitation in mind.
Transferring that to a moving medium often doesn't work.

Sailor Moon 26

Poor Luna, having to convince everybody that Usagi should be the team leader.

New friends in the previous episode and then helping out old friends in this one. A bit of a strange monster too. That final shot with the rainbow bridge was neat.

The sound quality on Hulu hit a new low though, now it's not only sounding like it's playing in a tin can at times, but there's also audio popping all the time.

Conan-san

Gundam Build Fighters: Episode 21: Amid the Glittering Particles
I honestly just like it because it covers a controversial topic in Gundam such as the CyberNewtype and in the end resolves it by basically turning the whole affair into the last bit of Bugsy Malone where all sense of plot is lost and the kids just start pie fighting in a glorious Kid-safe orgy of shaving foam filled violence.

But with Gunpla.

Midonin

M3 16

"Do you remember that we created the Lightless Realm?"
Okay, my interest levels are very gradually rising. The more things are fleshed out, the more I'm finding this show to be at least average. Having some more backstory helps a great deal.

Necrovex

This is my fear if a PunPun anime ever comes into fruitation.

Midonin

Hanayamata 05

Seeing pro yosakoi-ers in action reminds me of the club that Banri and Koko were in in Golden Time, only here it's the entire focus. Seeing the club start in earnest, and the way the episode concluded with Naru's passionate speech about exactly why she's feeling motivated to dance now, made for a wonderful episode of what is one of my favorite shows of the season. It's not quite the same, but it's getting very close to channeling some of those same feelings that K-ON! did. It's a lot more kinetic and the method of expression is different (plus K-ON! really had no one like Hana/Hannah), but it's the closest thing I've found in the years since it went off air.

It really warms the heart.

Spice and Wolf - 07

My my, this time around Holo is especially tsundere.

I think I can't find myself caring for the characters very much. Lawrence is a pretty generic good guy and Holo is mostly pandering. She hasn't got any flaws. She can be snarky and cunning but constantly shows her cute and playful side as well. When the circumstances demand it though, she can also be quite serious. She's of course beautiful and doesn't mind showing skin. And would you know it...she loves drinking alcohol and stuffs herself full of food haha! So kawaiiiii.

Oh you want to know her weaknesses? Hmm... she doesn't actually have legit ones (so far). Her weaknesses aren't in her personality, they're all inherited from the fact that she's a Wolf-God. So we get these 'oh god you're afraid of my other self', 'I'm lonely, people fear me', 'how can human and Wolf-God live together?!?' dilemmas for easy drama. Part of that was visible already but I'm gonna expect this to come up more towards the end.

The business talk is still only somewhat interesting and yeh, while on the surface this is some cute and enjoyable character pairing going on, that aspect feels rather shallow to me.

Plot and pacing seem also somewhat lacking. The way the action scenes were resolved last episode was somewhat unsatisfactory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom