• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ginko is just such a great character. Couldn't ask for someone more fitting to this kind of episodic content. I love it when he's straight with someone like in that episode. Often times he simply has no other choice than telling people how it is and hope they'll see reason.

that's dtl, just go with it, don't try to understand dtl, only read
I know DTL , we talked about showsmultiples timeshere.
Still , that character treatment in the show is trully pitifull, he is not even the regional champion, just the finalist , he didn't win ANY duel in 200 episodes of the show , aside from random no-name noobs.
They didn't even try to make him sympathic ( jokes/cleverness, ect) ..he basicly interract with no one , except that insect guy , but that guy at least won some duels! that guy was actively trying to ruin other character cards .. he was evil ..but dinosaur dude ??Hum he did nothing. Even DTL admiot that he was more intrested in mokuba ( a much more active character compared to this dude )

Yona of the Dawn 11-15

Continuing to be a great show with Yona really coming into her own.

However I really didn't like episode 15 or how it was paced. It really felt like a filler episode and I don't like the fact that this show is making this Su guy have some comic relief around him. It went way too overboard with it. I didn't laugh at all with anything because from the get go he is a character that the viewer is supposed to view as the "evil" guy who in the opening moments of the show
murdered and usurped the previous king
. Now they tried to fill an entire episode with hijinks centered around him? Thanks but no thanks. Let's get back to the conflict at hand. It really was a poor attempt at selling me on the comedy from him and his generals. I don't mind if the main party does it or even if he does it sparingly but not an entire episode filled with it. Really dragged the show down for an episode and I am not very happy about it.

Otherwise the show has been pretty ace. Episode 15 just dragged it down a bit.

Episode 15 is there to change your perception of the show a bit.That guy did murder the previous king , but he didn't do it for the crown only ( after all , he just had to wait a bit , and he would have got it naturally ).Your perspective of suu-yun must change or must be open to a certain change now.

Man, between the Clannad and Clannad After Story sets and this one, I really wish I had some disposable income to support the industry.

There's always some way to support the industry. Watching shows via Hulu is definitely one easy/cheap way as the ad revenue goes to the licensor (or in some cases the original company who holds the rights such as Bandai/TMS). While it sucks to watch ads, it's one easy method to say "I'm trying to give back" instead of heading to an illegal site which doesn't give any revenue. We, as Westerners, are a supplementary market, regardless of how many shows have foreign companies on the committee or shown before Japanese broadcasts. There's not the financial support from us to prop up the medium above the domestic money.

Every time you buy a Crunchy subscription or watch a show on there with ads, you're giving back to the production. It might not be as much as someone buying the JP BDs (or whatever a show is made for), but it's something worthwhile and something to shoot for at minimum for any show you watch.

School Live! 1

Don't judge a book by its cover, indeed. This starts as the cutest thing ever, and stays that way for almost the entirety of the episode, then BAM!, reality smacks you in the face.
Poor girl(s) and dog. :( That is one (unfortunate) way to cope with things.

Anyway, I love it. The whole premise is awesome and completely unexpected. Can't wait to see more.

Hosada's new film, The Boy and the Beast was a monster at the box office this week. It was seen by 494,170 people earning 667,035,100 yen in only two days.

This shows the power of having a TV station promoting your film to a broader audience compared to the late night crowd we typically discuss. NTV's definitely earning a lot from this push. While Fuji's doing well (nearly 1 billion yen for each of their films), it's nowhere near what NTV can do. Those two are on a different level than most shows.

While I'm not a fan of the franchise, it makes me appreciate the success of Love Live's film much more. That didn't have nearly the amount of promotional support that something like K-On! or Madoka had (TBS promoted K-On! heavily and Madoka had some spots on MBS and another channel iirc), but it's rivaling those with box office revenue.

Cornbread78

There's always some way to support the industry. Watching shows via Hulu is definitely one easy/cheap way as the ad revenue goes to the licensor (or in some cases the original company who holds the rights such as Bandai/TMS). While it sucks to watch ads, it's one easy method to say "I'm trying to give back" instead of heading to an illegal site which doesn't give any revenue. We, as Westerners, are a supplementary market, regardless of how many shows have foreign companies on the committee or shown before Japanese broadcasts. There's not the financial support from us to prop up the medium above the domestic money.

Every time you buy a Crunchy subscription or watch a show on there with ads, you're giving back to the production. It might not be as much as someone buying the JP BDs (or whatever a show is made for), but it's something worthwhile and something to shoot for at minimum for any show you watch.

That makes me feel a little better since I think I've watched thousands of commercials between Crunchyroll and Hulu, so I guess that I've helped a little bit then... I wonder how much actually goes back to them per commercial you watch.

Gotta say I'm not really that fond of any of Hosada's movies (the ones I've seen anyways). May have enjoyed Digimon the most but that's partially the case because of how good the TV series was. TGWLTT and Wolf Children are both good, but not great to me. Summer Wars I downright despise.

That said, it's not because of his direction but rather the stories in his movies which I don't find particularly engaging or well thought through.

Mandelbo

Gotta say I'm not really that fond of any of Hosada's movies (the ones I've seen anyways). May have enjoyed Digimon the most but that's partially the case because of how good the TV series was. TGWLTT and Wolf Children are both good, but not great to me. Summer Wars I downright despise.

That said, it's not because of his direction but rather the stories in his movies which I don't find particularly engaging or well thought through.

The only one I've seen is Summer Wars, and I'm inclined to agree with you. My memories of it are a little fuzzy because it was years ago that I watched it, but I remember none of the characters being particularly fussed that a huge satellite was about to crash into earth and were much more concerned with the baseball. It was dumb in a bad way iirc.

The only one I've seen is Summer Wars, and I'm inclined to agree with you. My memories of it are a little fuzzy because it was years ago that I watched it, but I remember none of the characters being particularly fussed that a huge satellite was about to crash into earth and were much more concerned with the baseball. It was dumb in a bad way iirc.

You should watch Wolf Children.

Dynedom

Aishiteruze Baby ep.7-12
ec9c467111fd95932664298a5bb393de.jpg

Man, this show is such a whirlwind of emotions to watch each episode. They really do a great job depicting each characters emotional situation; the ups, the downs and everything in between. That train moment tore my heart in two. I really wasn't expecting this much thought and emotion to be poured into this, but it is really, really good at what it sets out to do. Plus, Yuzuyu is a cutie..

Obligatory best song

Summer Wars isn't Hosoda's best work. Wolf Children and TGWLTT handle character much better.

Gbraga

Well, Summer Wars wasn't really up there with his best works, you should still give TGWLTT and Wolf Children a shot, they're really incredible.

brassica

So, I just watched the second episode of Shimoneta, and hearing that girl at the end, I was thinking : "damn, that voice totally looks like Kuroko from To aru series
(and Peke from To Love)
"
Turns out I was right : same voice actress
I don't often recognize them, even with watching tons of shows, but some voices are really unique.

It's one of the most trope riddled films I've seen, with a vast but weak cast of characters and it fails at portraying its themes meaningful whatsoever. The whole 'almost everything is digitally connected and controlled' theme, which the Digimon movie(s) executed better on btw., was handled so damn poorly. The movie goes it's way to demonstrate how intricately everything's connected, traffic, hospitals, electricity grid (I think) and so on, then, as a major plot point, wants to show how everything goes to shit when someone just hacks all this stuff or a virus is at play and...in the end, it had no consequences. There were absolutely zero casualties from this major disaster. Why? Well probably because it's a kids movie and you can't have anything dark happening or so. It's pretty much just abused as sorts of upping the ante before being tossed away as inconsequential.

So at the end a TV newscast outright tells you 'no casualties' and all that's left to do is watching the MC get a nosebleed as he's getting flustered because huehue, what a fantastic anime trope that is.

You're talking about M3 aren't you? The one she wrote alongside Wixoss? I always wondered how that turned out.

M3 is really good though. Best nano song, Maaya Sakamoto Replica is fantastic, the story is up there with Seraph of the End and Gods Eater for best post apocalyptic scenario, and all the kids are really well developed, the adults too. Its one of the most overlooked mecha I can think of.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
While I'm not a fan of the franchise, it makes me appreciate the success of Love Live's film much more. That didn't have nearly the amount of promotional support that something like K-On! or Madoka had (TBS promoted K-On! heavily and Madoka had some spots on MBS and another channel iirc), but it's rivaling those with box office revenue.
I'm assuming it's people watching the film over and over again. I have no doubt it has its fans, but I don't know how much appeal it generally has.
Certainly the game's numbers are inflated by people using scripts to continuously make starter accounts at the very least. lol

Ushio to Tora 02

Something about this show just feels right, I don't know what it is exactly but for starters I'm really enjoying the cast's interaction with Ushio, he's such a likeable main character.

I hope we'll see some real combat soon, this fight was more character development than actual fighting.

Gatchaman Crowds 02

The best part about this show is the first 40 seconds of the OP.

New girl is cute. I still don't know how those speech bubbles exactly work. Which color is the "best" ?

It's possible to win with a "monster only" deck but only with special conditions ..same with a "trap only" deck ..thsoe are special decks and the cards for making those decks didn't exist when this season was airing. so he is technically right.

Also Ryuzaki is one of the weakest players of the entire franchise...
even in fillers arcs he can't win a duel
So i don't know how you managed to make him a favorite. he was so unpopular that in many countries his face wasn't on the deck packs being sold ( for dinosaurs card )

Dinosaur theme was such a cool theme though. I would always make one dinosaur deck in the Tag Force games.

Moaradin

How is Ace of Diamond compared to other sports shonen like Haikyu and Kuroko? I loved those shows so I would like to watch other similar stuff.

fertygo

So is this season worth watching? I gave up, but I'm willing to be convinced otherwise.

I'll not gamble to say you will not regret it because its pretty much same old same old, but there's nice progression for some character and I think the senior group are more fun with Miyuki and his vice dynamic for their effort to carry the new team.

I think you should came back with marathon the show when you really got the itch.
How is Ace of Diamond compared to other sports shonen like Haikyu and Kuroko? I loved those shows so I would like to watch other similar stuff.

Haikyuu are like Tier 1

And Ace of Diamond are like tier 2-3 for me objectively speaking

but I'm sucker for sport show so I still enjoy it immensely.

Saudades

The only thing I remember about Summer Wars is the super plot shield that the villain has.
Love Machine is being pounded by King Kazma? Let's have some kids distract Kazuma IRL so he can absorb some random avatars and turn the tables!
Love Machine is being locked in the watertight castle? Let's have the douchebag policeman uncle unexpectedly doing something kind-hearted that inadvertently screws up the plan for everyone!
Love Machine is losing to Natsuki at Koi-Koi? Worry not, let's have Natsuki being distracted by the clock alluva sudden, costing her the game so we can have another moment of 'everyone is connected' rammed down our throats!

I'm gonna watch Perfect Blue first :p
Can't go wrong with either one, really.

Jakku

Oh man, Charlotte was great. I wasn't expecting much after the train wreck that was Angel Beats, but I really enjoyed those first two episodes.

<Throws in moral support.> Roundabout is a fun song and makes for good and one glorious transition to ED but that's about it.

Thank you. Like I said, I don't hate it but it was just very middling. I still haven't gotten past episode 3 because I am trying to finish up Yona of the Dawn, but I am sure it will grow on me like most OPs do.

Episode 15 is there to change your perception of the show a bit. That guy did murder the previous king , but he didn't do it for the crown only ( after all , he just had to wait a bit , and he would have got it naturally ).Your perspective of suu-yun must change or must be open to a certain change now.

Linkman informed me that episode 15 is part of a two episode arc that should get more clarity in the next episode after I posted. Which is unfortunate because I watch the show in 5 episode chunks. Regardless, we will see what happens in episode 16 to see if it balances out episode 16.

In my mind it's really hard to justify what he did. Like you even said, he would've gained the throne naturally if he had waited only a little longer. I don't know if my opinion will change about him by the end but it will be extremely difficult to justify what he did to his friends. I don't mind them making him more than just a "bad guy" and implementing some comedy with him. I just thought they went overboard this last episode with it.

For better or worse my Anime list for this season is bigger than the last. Better or not, I have so much to watch, specially on Saturdays. Good thing it's summer and I don't have school, or else dear god.

Prison School 01

Hey, this is a marked improvement over what I remember from the manga. Three reasons:

The pace is fine. It's good, even. Yeah, it's fast, but I like this rhythm in comedy, with the jokes coming like a sudden fast jab. In fact it could be less funny if you make it slower, giving time to the viewer to ponder how ridiculous and insubstantial is everything. Here the plot moves forward in a good pace, not letting you get bored. And it isn't like the series needs a slower pace to enjoy the deep characterization or detailed setting.
Never mind that the manga is in fact pretty slow sometimes. Some chapters actually represent 60 seconds of scene in "real time". This isn't new, it's also something I remember from Me & the Devil Blues, where a volume could be just three "scenes"; so of course if you take the manga and make an anime that doesn't put filler with cameras looking at the sky while you hear cicadas is going to be able to put a good number of manga chapters per episode.

The voices improves the comedic effect in some moments that weren't that funny to me in the comic. All the acting, the even more exaggerated violence, reinforces this is just a ridiculous comedy.

The censoring helps focusing the series in the humor and less in the fanservice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I had no idea that there were going to be two Chihayafuru live action movies. Hopefully this means that they'll actually end the story
by having her end up with the only real choice Arata
and skip all the boring sports stuff.

lol

I feel you. Haven't watched Wolf Children yet but his stories are lacking.

javac

Well, I know what I'm watching tonight (or tomorrow night.)

One of my favorite films of all time. The amount of emotions that it pulls out during its run-time is remarkable and really shows off the potential of animation at its best as a medium.

Fbh

The 2 I've watched so far:

GOD EATER 01
I really liked the animation and visual style of this one. I also liked how they made the main character part of the god eater group (or whatever they are called) from the start and didn't go through a long arc of him having to go through tests to become one.
Seems like it might have some good action scenes later on which will be awesome with the trademark Ufotable production values.

OverLords 01

Not too convinced about this one yet. I like that it's a different take on the popular "trapped inside an MMO" genre with the main character basically being the final boss and "bad guy" of the world.
But looking at the cast I'm afraid it might turn into yet another one of those "main character surrounded by cute girls" type of show, and the fact that one of the first things he does it touching the breasts of her second in comand really doesn't give me much hope.
But hey, 3 episodes rule, it might yet turn interesting.

People hating Summer Wars?

I haven't seen it, but I was under the impression that it was really well received in here.

Like, ToonamiGAF had a blast with it if I remember correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom