• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gbraga

People hating Summer Wars?

I haven't seen it, but I was under the impression that it was really well received in here.

Like, ToonamiGAF had a blast with it if I remember correctly.

I personally don't hate it, but it was certainly disappointing after Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo.

duckroll

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 2

This is an enjoyable show, but it's really in no hurry to go anywhere. Another stand alone sort of story this week, with Shirayuki doing Shirayuki stuff, Zen being Zen, and a bit of suspense and action with yet another failed kidnap attempt by another moron. Ando's storyboards carry a brisk pace without feeling rushed, and that's always something worth appreciating in TV anime. Not a lot more to say here, but the episode was just as enjoyable as the first one. I really like the way the show uses color too. The ED song is kinda bad, but the art is pretty nice, especially the panels at the end. Kotomi Deai storyboarded and directed the ED, so hopefully she gets to work on some episodes of the show itself too!

Cornbread78

Aishiteruze Baby ep.13-END:
tumblr_mn79jj2c6Q1spviuxo1_400.gif

hqdefault.jpg

So cute...

Alright, I had to finish this one up before I moved on back to watching Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Man, This one is a crazy ride of feels throughout. Even the side stories that are added about other family members like the cousin and lil' brother are touching and add an additional emotional layer to everything. Especially the story of the cousin; I'll be damned if I didn't tear up a little bit at that one. The series goes through many problems kids and parents both face in regards to social acceptance, balancing work and life commitments and putting someone else first; those and of course, LOVE. This was definately a good series to watch if you love kids and have a soft spot for a good love story of family as well as a side romance, that is sweet at it's core. There is actually character developement in this one for our heroine and MC, as well at the star of the show, the little girl, Yuzuyu. The animation is damn ugly at times, but the framed moments and touching tone that the anime portrays makes it well worth it... Great story over all, but, I'm surprised they actually stopped it here. I'm wondering if the manga carried the story further, especially with the Kippei/Kokoro romance, but who knows, it was a good ending as it was. Excellent. .

Defuser

So I took a listen to Danmachi's OST and it's really good which is no surprise considering the the first few minutes of ep1 BGM intro was a good indicator and gave me a good feeling of this show.

Just like the show's RPGness it's BGM is a reminiscence of those fantasy JRPG game soundtracks.

I suggest you guys take a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2M9Wi4Zu60&list=PLx3S9kLyu2fJw4jd3JkMDJkgSR6OqXHwG&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GN2gKrhVA&index=3&list=PLx3S9kLyu2fJw4jd3JkMDJkgSR6OqXHwG

Snow White with the Red Hair - Episode 2

This is an enjoyable show, but it's really in no hurry to go anywhere. Another stand alone sort of story this week, with Shirayuki doing Shirayuki stuff, Zen being Zen, and a bit of suspense and action with yet another failed kidnap attempt by another moron. Ando's storyboards carry a brisk pace without feeling rushed, and that's always something worth appreciating in TV anime. Not a lot more to say here, but the episode was just as enjoyable as the first one. I really like the way the show uses color too. The ED song is kinda bad, but the art is pretty nice, especially the panels at the end. Kotomi Deai storyboarded and directed the ED, so hopefully she gets to work on some episodes of the show itself too!

One of the biggest things that plagues many Shoujo series. I'm glad this series is paced accordingly and isn't trying to go at a brisk pace and isn't in a hurry.

Dynedom

Aishiteruze Baby ep.13-END:
tumblr_mn79jj2c6Q1spviuxo1_400.gif

hqdefault.jpg

So cute...

Alright, I had to finish this one up before I moved on back to watching Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Man, This one is a crazy ride of feels throughout. Even the side stories that are added about other family members like the cousin and lil' brother are touching and add an additional emotional layer to everything. Especially the story of the cousin; I'll be damned if I didn't tear up a little bit at that one. The series goes through many problems kids and parents both face in regards to social acceptance, balancing work and life commitments and putting someone else first; those and of course, LOVE. This was definately a good series to watch if you love kids and have a soft spot for a good love story of family as well as a side romance, that is sweet at it's core. There is actually character developement in this one for our heroine and MC, as well at the star of the show, the little girl, Yuzuyu. The animation is damn ugly at times, but the framed moments and touching tone that the anime portrays makes it well worth it... Great story over all, but, I'm surprised they actually stopped it here. I'm wondering if the manga carried the story further, especially with the Kippei/Kokoro romance, but who knows, it was a good ending as it was. Excellent. .

The manga was still ongoing at the time I believe. It finished if you want to go and read it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
School Live 1
So the writer work for Nitroplus eh? I am not surprised with that development at all.

Ninja Slayer 13

Oh, it's Yamoto learning karate from an assassin soon to be death due to deadly disease. And of course his newest target is Yamoto.

Cornbread78

The manga was still ongoing at the time I believe. It finished if you want to go and read it.

Figured as much, I'll have to do some research and find out what chapter they finished the anime with.

I've never read manga before though, lol.

Well ToonamiGAF also likes SAO.

/s

Hilarious... Yeah, they hate it, but it's all good. I like to swing by the thread once the carnage is done. They are really going to be bored with a couple of the future arcs though as they are a lot less crazy and the series starts to change direction a little bit.

Saudades

Well, I know what I'm watching tonight (or tomorrow night.)
Good for you. Wish I could find a psychological thriller as good as that one.
People hating Summer Wars?

I haven't seen it, but I was under the impression that it was really well received in here.

Like, ToonamiGAF had a blast with it if I remember correctly.
Well it is pretty fun, even tho the story could use a lot more work.

Akagami no Shirayukihime - 02

I like Shirayuki. She's clever, curious and take matters in her own hands. I think she's the most interesting part about the show.
Which is why I felt unsatisfied when her own creative attempts failed - only to suddenly be saved by a knight on a stallion in the end.

That said I enjoyed the episode, but I hope things like this isn't going to be frequent, or I'm going to get tired real quick.

God Eater 1

Aside from some of the weird side shots the episode was really enjoyable. The direction is really solid and helps elevate the episode as well. While the art style will take some time to get use to, it looks unique and pretty damn good. Seeing some of the base's locations animated and brought to life from the game is just too good. Hopefully Bamco will localize God Eater 2 because I really want to play that game on my Vita in English.

Anyway is the anime 1cour?

I think there's a good chance we'll see something else. Hiroko Utsumi was not involved during the production of the Kyoukai films (but was on the production committee) or Sound! Euphonium. She's up to something. Additionally, the animation producer credit for the High Speed! movie do not list Animation Do unlike the two Free! TV series. There's reason to believe Do's working on something else. They've got an announcement that they hoped to make last month that they're planning on announcing this month, so that could be a new project.

Additionally, this is the 30th anniversary of Kyoto Animation's business founding (they were initially established as a small company in 1981 via Yoko Hatta's painting side-business, but were officially made into a small business in July 1985). There's likely to be an announcement very soon to celebrate that. Kigami's latest blog post said they were already at work on their next project (which wasn't stated) but High Speed's location scouting was sighted this week.

Furthermore, the KyoAni & Do event list Chuunibyou, Tamako, Free/High Speed, Kyoukai, and Euphonium as participating, but include "and more!."

Thus we're expecting something to be said very soon about a possible fall show, directed by Utsumi and heavy Do involvement.

Do's announcement was confirmed to be new Free! Eternal Summer merchandise (a clear file and a new set of acrylic charms)

Nothing was announced before/during/after the official 30th anniversary date, so the next potential date something could be announced would be Sunday during the Free! movie showings (all 12 episodes in one sitting, not the High Speed movie).

Do's announcement was confirmed to be new Free! Eternal Summer merchandise (a clear file and a new set of acrylic charms)

Nothing was announced before/during/after the official 30th anniversary date, so the next potential date something could be announced would be Sunday during the Free! movie showings (all 12 episodes in one sitting, not the High Speed movie).

I need those clear files and the new Free! fanbook?

Snow White with Read Hair 02

Nah. If this gets really good word of mouth I might pick it back up later.

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 02

Better then the first episode but don't know if I will continue.

I still haven't actually seen 3.33. It cant be half as bad as people make it oit to be.

It's about as bad as the Matrix Sequels or the Star Wars prequels!
In fact I think it's about as bad as Terminator 3 and I really, really hate Terminator 3!

cajunator

Banned
Ep 1 Soma

Really guys? I can't make it five minutes into the anime without tentacle groping on an anime character lol.

Amazing reactions to the food already though, can tell this might be my non action anime to watch and keep up on.

The tentacle thing is pretty over the top on purpose. Its supposed to be ridiculous and absurd. The rest of the show doesnt go as far as the first two episodes. That was mainly to hook otaku.

Go! Princess Precure 8

There's a monster that's an existential threat to everyone but better not tell Haruka so she can finish her dress on time. Makes sense.

HIdamari Sketch 10

Poor Yuno, witnessing death of the author firsthand. Of course, the various interpretations of her unfinished work was nice since it spoke to the feelings evolved by it. Dracula conversation might have been one of the most natural things I've seen in this too as it seemed to be a perfect representation of friends shooting the shit about some sort of pop culture.

Hidamari Sketch 11

Finally the teacher was addressed! She's so eccentric I'm surprised it took this long. :lol Maybe it comes up sooner in a chronological viewing but she wouldn't be nearly as fun then.

Hidamari Sketch 12 FIN

The ending taking place just before holiday break and them going home seemed kinda inspired honestly. Probably since they're their own little family away from home and it's being broken up even for just a little bit.

===

Yeah, this ended up pretty great and I very much liked how the concept of nearly every ep was the passing of just one day. Anahcronic ordering ended up working really, really well because of this shot in particular:

It highlighted the time they spent with one another but also showed the individual episode content was some of the most important days they'd spent together over the past months. On top of that, the photos on the corkboard remind the viewer that they too shared in those memories.

Sora no Woto 7

fucking hell, I decided to wrap today up with an episode of this as I expected something light and reassuring like everything else I'd watched today....

N O P E

Instead I get a soul crushing examination of Filicia's internal struggles with PTSD which sort of explains the care she's shown for Kanata so far. Noel's taciturn nature might be attributable tot he same incident too. I'd mentioned in the past how the show keeps war in the periphery and away from the main cast but holy shit, I didn't expect them to visit conflict like this.

Yama no Susume 1-13 FIN

Immensely charming show that, along with Pupipo, can be pointed at as proof the short format can yield meaningful results.

Sora No Woto isnt really a lighthearted anime for very long. Stuff can get real in a hurry. It is a war after all!
Anyway, Zachy Day is a good day!

Inou Battle 3

So do these people actually have powers or are they all just suffering from an extreme case of delusion? I really can't tell.

Inou Battle 4

"Lolicon is not a disease! It is a way of life!"

O...kay. Lol.

So my takeaway so far is that Chuuni dude is just helping people deal with their problems each episode. Ehhh, I guess I'll keep watching.

Theres one particular scene thats worth watching this for and unfortunately very little else. Hatoko is the best though.

:Narag

Dragon Ball Super 2

That was a enjoyable sol episode. Loved how super tsundere Vegeta was during the vacation. Always wants to be number 1 and defeat Goku. He never changes.

Beerus still blowing up planets as usual.

phaze

Durarara x2 14

You should know you have a problem, if in the cast that consists of: gangsters, wannabe gangsters, headless dullahan, cursed blade that possesses people, crazy scientist, crazy doctor, psycho killers, all of whom are only the tip of the mountain when it comes to Durarara's assembly of psychos, you still manage to come out as the unquestionable leader in the cray cray department. At least Mika won't be lonely at the top, her rival in love and her boyfriend sit comfortably in 2nd and 3rd spot.

Mushishi 02

Returned to this one after watching Ginko's backstory as I remembered there was some stuff about his eyes in this one. It's weird that as shown here, he clearly has the the knowledge to turn his artificial eye into the real one yet it doesn't seem like he ever did it for his own sake.

Mushishi 14
Strong Kaguya vibes in this episodes. I'm not sure if I can call this a happy ending but I will take what I can get at this point. lol

Cornbread78

Full Moon Wo Sagashite ep.19-21

Ok, now their kicking up the feels a little bit with the reveal ti sensei and her manager, Takuto singing her song and the time spent with her friends (Meruko and Takuto's make-up) I'm not ready for the second half of this series as I can already tell..

Go_Ly_Dow

I don't really get the appeal. It's about cooking. What's the hook?

I'm glad people here enjoy Soma, in the manga thread it's the most popular and well liked/read manga and has been for about a year

One Piece, Prison School, Kingdom, Jitsu wa Watashi wa and Onepunch-man are probably close to it though

So I guess I'll start watching food wars.....wasn't to sure on it but it looks like from this thread it's a great mix of comedy and seriousness

Edit: also how is God eater as an anime?

The hook is the creativity in how the food is made, and how the main character uses that creativity to succeed against seemingly impossible odds.

It's also the fact that the show has some genuinely likeable characters.

CAAAABBBAAASSSUU PINKU!

MAGICAL CABBASSU!

Non Non Biyori Repeat 02

In this episode they shoot rulers at other rulers for like 10 minutes, which is probably the most Non Non Biyori thing I've ever seen.

Looks like this is just setting up stuff that happened in the first season so far.

Mature

Shirayukihime - 2
Super cute. The world here feels very realized and tangible. The world building feels substantial without being heavy handed. If the kidnapping plots are just going to be constant, than that'll get a bit tiresome, but I still very much enjoyed this one. I like that we got to see Shirayuki using a bit of cunning. Cool herbalist trickery isn't something I knew I wanted from anime.

Very solid. Praise shoANDOjo.

cajunator

Banned
God Eater - 01

CHIAKI
OMIGAWA
AOTS

I have no interest in God eater but I love me some Omigawa. Conflicted.

Hell yeah, Ponycanyon US is releasing the Etotama BDs.

10/10/2015
Store Price : $71.98

http://etotama.us/bd_dvd/

Me and Cajun are going to save the show :D

Now if I could just get some Eupho BD dates...

Hell yes lets save Etotama!
Are you ordering straight from there or Rightstuf?

You should watch Wolf Children.

Great idea

I'm gonna watch Perfect Blue first :p

Decent idea but also add Millennium Actress to your list!

I had no idea that there were going to be two Chihayafuru live action movies. Hopefully this means that they'll actually end the story
by having her end up with the only real choice Arata
and skip all the boring sports stuff.

lol

I just wanna see Chihaya
become karuta queen

Rainy

Banned
Working'!! 5

This episode was really cute. The scene with Kyouko and the kid, the scene with Satou and Kyouko, Yamada seeking attention, all good stuff.

John Blade

Just finish watching You're Under Arrest TV series Season 1. Man...the fun ride have to end eventually and this is the end of this series. Will post my impression soon.

A funny note: Because I own the Animeigo You're Under Arrest DVD box set, they is an extra episode. Look like it's the mini special. Can't say right now but if it's, kinda funny they add it on the DVD box. Will watch to see..

Non Non Biyori Repeat - 02

The greatest ruler match in the history of mankind. It was pretty rad, I remember playing something similar back in the days.
I like how they used a more dramatic soundtrack for it, quite the contrast to the usual soothing stuff you hear. Hotaru and Komari segment was cute.

Hellraider

Ore Monogatari - 13-14

Yeah, series really needed these two episodes. As much as everyone likes the cute couple, doing cute things, while eating cute sweets, while looking cute, it badly needed to spice things up or it was dangerously moving towards boredom. Hope we get more Sunakawa siblings and Oda screentime.

phaze

Snow White with the Red Hair 02

Yeah, sign me up for the "this is dull" crowd. Will give it another ep but I don't foresee my opinion changing much.

Shimoneta truly the AOTS.

Snow White with the Red Hair 02

Show still looks beatiful. The story this time was more of the same.

Only difference was showing how capable Shirayuki is. But she had to be saved a the end.

It is slow as expected from a shoujo. Will still keep watching for Shirayuki <3

Durarara X2 14

An episode focusing on nearly everyone's least 3 favorite characters. It is also here where it becomes clear that 2 of them may be the craziest in the entire show.
Namie still really wanting to bang her brother, and trying to burn Namie's face off. Namie being a cannibalistic (sort of) psychopath who goes to great lengths to know what's going on in Ikekuburo.

Meanwhile Seiji continues to have the personality of a piece of wood with a disturbing fixation on someone's disemboweled head.

God Eater 1
i like the art style, and at least this episode direction is different when compared to other action anime that aired this season. Also i wonder why they decide to make kongou as mob enemies...
Let see if they include crazy bullet in later ep https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oSKyVXLvJ_E

The thing with God Eater's art was that it's so rich in lighting and shadows that after I watched it and I went to Arslan, which has none of the crazy shadows and lights, the latter looked plain lol. There's nothing wrong with Arslan but going from one style to the other made me kinda wish we had more anime with visuals like that. I know a lot of folks weren't fans of it, but it grew on me very quickly.

jordisok

All the talk last few pages has got me starting Yona tonight, first episode was pretty interesting
Soo-Won I knew you were a snake

also whats peoples opinion of Free! ?? Any good?/anything it can be compared to sports anime wise

Question: What would be the best suited English term for Mushishi? Mushi-Hunter/Killer/Expert/Exorcist?

Shi can mean death but am wondering if there's s.th. official or what would make the most sense.

Sound! Euphonium 11:

I got behind on this due to not really watching much anime in the month of June, but I think it's time for me to get back to the show and finish it up. This episode was definitely up to the normal standards of the show. I was unsure after Episode 10 which way the audition was going to go, but this episode made things clear from the start. It definitely made for a good viewing experience. The flashbacks did a good job, I think, at showing why Yuko is so dedicated to Kaori as well as why she really wanted her to play the solo part. There were a lot of really nice dialogue scenes in the episode. Kaori's conversations with both Asuka and Haruka were well written. The scenes did a good job at contrasting the characters, and they showed just what the relationships between all of them are like.

The audition itself was well done, and I liked how the show really made me feel how uncertain everyone was. It was a pretty quiet reaction all around, but it made sense given the tension that everyone must be feeling. The end result could be seen coming, but that didn't lessen the impact caused by the reaction to it. It was a very well done scene, and a well done episode. I felt like I was really living it.

I was also really impressed at several points with how gorgeous some of these shots were. KyoAni really are on a whole different level to almost anyone else. This show just looks too gorgeous, and when you combine that with the excellent music and good writing, you have a show that is really standing a cut above almost all of its peers.

Rainy

Banned
Working'!! 6

I mean even though they resolved their differences in this episode I still feel bad for Takanashi having to take all those punches...

OceanBlue

I can't believe I didn't think of The MUSHIM@STER.

Seriously though, if you really want to translate the shi part but leave the mushi part, a quick translation search comes up with master and teacher. To me, things like hunter are too aggressive considering that Ginko emphasizes to leave the mushi alone when possible and that everything is just trying to coexist. I have no good suggestions though, sorry.

Akagami no Shirayukihime 02

Jumping fences and walls again. It's actually a sad addiction for him. His guards are thinking of doing an intervention.

First part of the episode was a bit boring ..mmm plain should be the word.
Second part made my eyes roll. Two of two, really? Two episodes, two times
they kidnap the mc and make the prince rescue her.
It doesn't even matter who does it or why she is kidnapped, as it's super generic: some random dude to sell it somewhere because of her rare red hair. I think.
Well, in the last second when it doesn't matter a lot he gives her a bit of backstory but whatever.

I think the writer had the idea of having a willful, capable woman as protagonist of a shojo... and that's it, apart from that concept, it didn't have a lot more going for it, in characters or plot or setting. And ironically this is still a shojo where the guy rescues the girl with his swordsmanship so even that first novel point comes as a bit moot.

Bones production talent is wasted on this.
Par the course, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom