• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know people felt that strongly about it.

Regardless, I don't hate it. I am just very middling with it. I really like the show itself. As long as the show is great is all I care about. Yeah I care about OPs but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I typically love all kinds of OPs so maybe this will grow on me.

Roundabout is amazing man. Dat guitar playing before the ED is so good.

And how can one not get hyped after the SONO CHI NO SADAME followed by JOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

But regardless, I think OP2 is much better.

What? Mr. Iwata pased away, man is that sad. The president of Nintendo just passed away, RIP.

The last opening they used so far has to be the best.

End of ZA WAAAAARUDO was the hypest shit in the universe.

The lack of a Diamond is Unbreakable teaser had me worried. Don't do this to me, David.

I really like the last Opening, but damn imo nothing can beat Bloody Stream Opening especially with Joseph and Caesar being so damn fabulous.

Shimoneta 1 & 2

Holy crap you guys weren't kidding about this being hilarious. I was losing my shit throughout the whole thing. This one is definitely a keeper LOL.

Gbraga

Regardless, I don't hate it. I am just very middling with it. I really like the show itself. As long as the show is great is all I care about. Yeah I care about OPs but it isn't a deal breaker for me. I typically love all kinds of OPs so maybe this will grow on me.

I don't make promises cuz it's meant to be broken
trust is just a word, no describing to it, it's only proven
my path is the only path I can take ya'll know it's chosen
there ain't no easy road, gotta create it, it's not given
I'm just living

Kyuur

It's not really a feeling. It is fact that Jojo's OP/OP2 and ED are all fantastic.

cajunator

Banned
I don't really get the appeal. It's about cooking. What's the hook?

Well for one thing it has a shounen protagonist and storyline, which is pretty fun. It also deals with food and as a Louisianian, I am completely down with great food. It also has great art and a cool setting, and it reminds me a hell of a lot of Yakitate Japan which I also enjoyed greatly. Furthermore it has Megumi in it and we call all agree thats an awesome thing.

Aishiteruze Baby ep.7-12
ec9c467111fd95932664298a5bb393de.jpg

Man, this show is such a whirlwind of emotions to watch each episode. They really do a great job depicting each characters emotional situation; the ups, the downs and everything in between. That train moment tore my heart in two. I really wasn't expecting this much thought and emotion to be poured into this, but it is really, really good at what it sets out to do. Plus, Yuzuyu is a cutie..

She is. This show is so feel good it really made me happy watching it. The production values aint so hot but the heart of this show is immense.

Don't get me wrong. I adore cooking shows, but the key difference is they serve real food. Imagery that makes my mouth watery. A drawing does not. Plus, I have to imagine that the anime has to add commentary or monologues (or foodgasms in this case) to make the cooking battles actually understandable for the viewer when the result is a bunch of drawings. I suppose a solid cast goes a long way.

If the food imagery in this show doesnt make your mouth water I dont know what would.
It all looks delicious. The foodgasms arent necessary, but they are hilarious and add levity to the show. Sometimes I know exactly how they feel when I eat something particularly amazing!

All the OP's this season aren't very good =(

Even Arslan's was swapped for a lesser song.

Umaru chan has a pretty great one.
Its not for everyone though.

I enjoyed yakitate japan, guess I'll give soma a go, this season is turning out better than expected

If you liked Yakitate, you will LOVE Soma.

/XX/

This kickstarter seems pretty, er unfortunate https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/asterion/asterion-you-will-be-the-hero

I mean, by all rights, this should be a cinch. They only need 135,000 Euros to produce a 13 episode series. Which, compared to other anime kickstarters, is pretty damn reasonable.
Sincerely, after the difficulties the Yapiko-Animation & Co., bunch had in just achieving the modest goal from the first crowd-funding campaign I didn't think it was reasonable such 'all in' bet on this one. Banking it all on a more international reach with that bigger platform without preparing it along a local production company that could handle it appropiately seemed like a fatal error. A damn shame, really...

Oh, and why saying that the amount is the whole budget for the series this project had already planned? They mention that the money of the stated goal is for making the first (pilot) episode only!

daveo42

Banned
Last.Exile.full.146976.jpg

Well...just starting to watch Last Exile today and I am now finish 4th episodes of the show. It's actually not too bad. From what I heard, they're people don't like the show because of the slow pace. My early impression is it's actually not too bad and liking the air battle fight quite a bit. I am guessing they won't be tons of those in the show but for now, liking it so far. Going to keep on watching today and maybe finish half of the show by today (or more).

Oh man...love me some Last Exile. Still need to go back and watch all of Fam, The Silver Wing. Glad to see you are enjoying it so far.

-Minsc-

Roundabout is amazing man. Dat guitar playing before the ED is so good.

And how can one not get hyped after the SONO CHI NO SADAME followed by JOOOOOOOOOOOJO!

But regardless, I think OP2 is much better.

I can see how the openings may take time to grow on people. The second opening of Stardust Crusaders definitely took some time to absorb.

Speaking of Roundabout... I was sitting a bar with a friend last night and that song started playing. Made my evening.

cajunator

Banned
We seriously need an app on the ps4 for that. Hm.....I switched my iPhone couple weeks ago otherwise I would just air stream to my Xbox. Fuck....I'm lost on what to do

Good luck with that. They only stream one or two shows at a time. Not really worth making a console app for.

Cornbread78

She is. This show is so feel good it really made me happy watching it. The production values aint so hot but the heart of this show is immense.

Yeah, you can tell it's very old, however, the broad imagery is still well done. There is also definitely a lot of love in this one that isn't shoved in your face or feel forced. I'm really impressed with how they capture emotions for everyone in the cast.

ViciousDS

Banned
Good luck with that. They only stream one or two shows at a time. Not really worth making a console app for.

Well then at least have the website work in html5 for the damn things that would work!

Edit: website works just the episodes seem to be in flash.....so lame

Does the Crunchyroll queue have a max number of shows you can have in it? None of the shows I've recently added to my queue show up in it, but if I look at the show page it will say it's been added to my queue.

Edit:
Added another show and now everything's showing up. Weird, I was having the problem on android and web browser.

cajunator

Banned
Does the Crunchyroll queue have a max number of shows you can have in it? None of the shows I've recently added to my queue show up in it, but if I look at the show page it will say it's been added to my queue.

Not that I know of but you might have a huge amount of shows. Hw many would you estimate you queued?

John Blade

To everyone on Last Exile, still liking it still and I am almost done Episode 9 right now. This is where I stop for today and will watch 1-2 episode every day till I finish it. It's still interesting for me and hope it stay like that. Also have the sequel in my Blu-ray collection and will watch it once I finish this show.

Cornbread78

If you are switching between devices, back out of the second device and relaunch it, that should force them to pop up. I get that a lot switching between my Kindle, Phone and Vita apps.

cajunator

Banned
To everyone on Last Exile, still liking it still and I am almost done Episode 9 right now. This is where I stop for today and will watch 1-2 episode every day till I finish it. It's still interesting for me and hope it stay like that. Also have the sequel in my Blu-ray collection and will watch it once I finish this show.

Last Exile had some great world building. A lot of times for me personally good world building makes up for a few deficiencies otherwise.

John Blade

Last Exile had some great world building. A lot of times for me personally good world building makes up for a few deficiencies otherwise.

Yup, love quite a bit of the world that take place, ship that float on air, aircraft, military technique, etc. It's like steam punk as you say and it's something I am interested if it's done right. Still, I will keep an open mind when watching the show as I do hope it get much better after episode 9.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 2
CJwZp_wWwAYDYll.jpg

I was quite sure it is possible to win with a monsters only deck. Same for a trap card only and spell card only deck Im sure.
CJwauAAWUAAz0np.jpg

Dinosaur Ryuzaki was my favorite standard duelist back then (before mokuba was dueling). Ive forgotten what Dinosaur Ryuzaki does though, Ive only seen and reatched battle city and some random episode Kids WB would keep replaying over and over and over afterschool

Gbraga

Finally up to date with Shokugeki no Soma. What a ride! The highlight is definitely the sound direction, the way they use the opening and ending themes throughout the show is just brilliant.

Very excited for the next arc, it should be exciting as hell in the anime.

And WTF at Blanka Erina, lmao.

Hah, not sure why, but I'm surprised you're watching this.

I watched the first episode of Hanayamata when it aired, because I'm a fan of the director, Atsuko Ishizuka. I hadn't ever continued past that, and wasn't really expecting much when I came back to it now because it seemed to garner tepid response at best, but it's been better than I expected. It's fairly charming as school girls shows go, with a pleasant atmosphere. The characters are a little exaggerated - Hana being overly exuberant, Naru being overly shy, and Yaya being overly (and explicitly!) tsundere - but they have a good chemistry together, which is the most essential part of shows like this. I expect I'll finish watching it, as long as it stays at the same level.

cajunator

Banned
I watched the first episode of Hanayamata when it aired, because I'm a fan of the director, Atsuko Ishizuka. I hadn't ever continued past that, and wasn't really expecting much when I came back to it now because it seemed to garner tepid response at best, but it's been better than I expected. It's fairly charming as school girls shows go, with a pleasant atmosphere. The characters are a little exaggerated - Hana being overly exuberant, Naru being overly shy, and Yaya being overly (and explicitly!) tsundere - but they have a good chemistry together, which is the most essential part of shows like this. I expect I'll finish watching it, as long as it stays at the same level.

I just wanna know when blurays will come out. I neeeeeed them.

Mature

RIN-NE 3-14
I've been spamming my twitter about this, but I finally got around to watching more RIN-NE (see: Everything that's available), and I have to say I'm wholly surprised that I enjoy it as much as I do. My initial impression (even back when the Manga was first released state side) was that this was a sort of reskinning of Inuyasha and all the little idiosyncrasies that come with it. Glad to discover that this definitely isn't the case.

It's primarily a comedy, even when it's pretending like it isn't. In-fact, RIN-NE is more like a parody of the sort of stories Rumiko's been close to in the past. When a very typical shonen/Inuyasha-esq fight is happening, it devolves into Rinne's dilemma of being pathetically poor and the painful, boring minutiae of trying to figure out how to deal with spirits on a shoestring budget. When a romantic situation of misunderstanding that you might see in Maison Ikkoku pops up, it's played off for jokes and literally just references Maison Ikkoku. There's a whole lot of ridiculous circumstances played with a straight face by all parties, but in a very humorous, self-aware way. The clarity in the script can almost assuredly be credited to Michiko Yokote's involvement.

The technical production of the show is weak. Animation for more frenetic moments is reduced to stills. Compositions and backgrounds of a lot of scenes range from unexceptional to just ugly. The show skates by with reasonable character art and charm, but if you can look under the unremarkable veneer, there's a lot of fun to be had in this show. And if you're a hopeless Rumic addict like myself, you'll probably feel right at home with these characters. Very excited to follow this one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It was one of my top 10 shows last year, although last year was also pretty weak as well. Still I quite enjoyed it as far as healing four girl school girl anime goes.

daveo42

Banned
Arslan Senki Ep 14
Not as big a fan of the new OP nor ED, but I do like the direction the story is taking. Making friend with your enemies is always a good tactic if you can help each other out.

-Minsc-

RIN-NE 3-14

I've been spamming my twitter about this, but I finally got around to watching more RIN-NE (see: Everything that's available), and I have to say I'm wholly surprised that I enjoy it as much as I do. My initial impression (even back when the Manga was first released state side) was that this was a sort of reskinning of Inuyasha and all the little idiosyncrasies that come with it. Glad to discover that this definitely isn't the case.

It's primarily a comedy, even when it's pretending like it isn't. In-fact, RIN-NE is more like a parody of the sort of stories Rumiko's been close to in the past. When a very typical shonen/Inuyasha-esq fight is happening, it devolves into Rinne's dilemma of being pathetically poor and the painful, boring minutiae of trying to figure out how to deal with spirits on a shoestring budget. When a romantic situation of misunderstanding that you might see in Maison Ikkoku pops up, it's played off for jokes and literally just references Maison Ikkoku. There's a whole lot of ridiculous circumstances played with a straight face by all parties, but in a very humorous, self-aware way. The clarity in the script can almost assuredly be credited to Michiko Yokote's involvement.

The technical production of the show is weak. Animation for more frenetic moments is reduced to stills. Compositions and backgrounds of a lot of scenes range from unexceptional to just ugly. The show skates by with reasonable character art and charm, but if you can look under the unremarkable veneer, there's a lot of fun to be had in this show. And if you're a hopeless Rumic addict like myself, you'll probably feel right at home with these characters. Very excited to follow this one.

It's the simple touches of humour such as this scene which keep me coming back to this show.

RIN-NE.png

ViciousDS

Banned
Ep 1 Soma

Really guys? I can't make it five minutes into the anime without tentacle groping on an anime character lol.

Amazing reactions to the food already though, can tell this might be my non action anime to watch and keep up on.

Narag

Go! Princess Precure 8
There's a monster that's an existential threat to everyone but better not tell Haruka so she can finish her dress on time. Makes sense.

HIdamari Sketch 10
Poor Yuno, witnessing death of the author firsthand. Of course, the various interpretations of her unfinished work was nice since it spoke to the feelings evolved by it. Dracula conversation might have been one of the most natural things I've seen in this too as it seemed to be a perfect representation of friends shooting the shit about some sort of pop culture.

Hidamari Sketch 11
Finally the teacher was addressed! She's so eccentric I'm surprised it took this long. :lol Maybe it comes up sooner in a chronological viewing but she wouldn't be nearly as fun then.

Hidamari Sketch 12 FIN
The ending taking place just before holiday break and them going home seemed kinda inspired honestly. Probably since they're their own little family away from home and it's being broken up even for just a little bit.

===

Yeah, this ended up pretty great and I very much liked how the concept of nearly every ep was the passing of just one day. Anahcronic ordering ended up working really, really well because of this shot in particular:
It highlighted the time they spent with one another but also showed the individual episode content was some of the most important days they'd spent together over the past months. On top of that, the photos on the corkboard remind the viewer that they too shared in those memories.

Sora no Woto 7
fucking hell, I decided to wrap today up with an episode of this as I expected something light and reassuring like everything else I'd watched today....

N O P E

Instead I get a soul crushing examination of Filicia's internal struggles with PTSD which sort of explains the care she's shown for Kanata so far. Noel's taciturn nature might be attributable tot he same incident too. I'd mentioned in the past how the show keeps war in the periphery and away from the main cast but holy shit, I didn't expect them to visit conflict like this.

Yama no Susume 1-13 FIN
Immensely charming show that, along with Pupipo, can be pointed at as proof the short format can yield meaningful results.

daveo42

Banned
God Eater Ep 1
I'm interested in the the story and the world building I hope they do to help explain why God Eaters are needed to protect what appears to be one of the last bastions of human civilization. Art direction and a good deal of the shots are top notch, but I'm still struggling with the 3d character models over what appears to be 2d backgrounds. It blends okay, but I seem to be noticing it a lot and find it very distracting. There were a few times where it did surprise me.

Rumor - Final Evangelion Movie this Winter

Cool I have 4-5 months to start building up my disappointment

That shouldn't be all that hard after the 3rd movie. It might actually exceed my expectations at this point because I've got them set so damn low.

cj_iwakura

Maria The Virgin Witch 09

Wow, that went to some dark places. Glad it wasn't THAT dark, but still.

I can't wait for that inquisitor to get his.

VRMN

After the third one it can't get any worse can it?

I might be one of the few people who liked 3.0 for basically going "fuck it" and divorcing itself from the TV series in terms of chronology while adhering to its last third in broad themes.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters Episode 2
CJwZp_wWwAYDYll.jpg

I was quite sure it is possible to win with a monsters only deck. Same for a trap card only and spell card only deck Im sure.
CJwauAAWUAAz0np.jpg

Dinosaur Ryuzaki was my favorite standard duelist back then (before mokuba was dueling). Ive forgotten what Dinosaur Ryuzaki does though, Ive only seen and reatched battle city and some random episode Kids WB would keep replaying over and over and over afterschool

It's possible to win with a "monster only" deck but only with special conditions ..same with a "trap only" deck ..thsoe are special decks and the cards for making those decks didn't exist when this season was airing. so he is technically right.

Also Ryuzaki is one of the weakest players of the entire franchise...
even in fillers arcs he can't win a duel
So i don't know how you managed to make him a favorite. he was so unpopular that in many countries his face wasn't on the deck packs being sold ( for dinosaurs card )

Inou Battle 3

So do these people actually have powers or are they all just suffering from an extreme case of delusion? I really can't tell.

Inou Battle 4

"Lolicon is not a disease! It is a way of life!"

O...kay. Lol.

So my takeaway so far is that Chuuni dude is just helping people deal with their problems each episode. Ehhh, I guess I'll keep watching.

Dresden

prison school 1

fun; pacing's fine; people look at the chapter count and go nuts without realizing how many pages are devoted to showing multiple angles of the veep squatting or sitting; love the distorted, super-exaggerated reactions; Mizushima's love for ps1-era ground texture will never die.

snow white (shirayuki) with the aka (that's red) hair 1

it's okay; love the colors - very bright and cheerful, and the red is dominated by hair and apple; kind of dull otherwise. Why didn't they just drag her off at the start? The guy is scummy enough to give her a date rape apple, but not so much that he doesn't just order her to the palace right away? Zen's boring.

god eater 1

love the art; flat, pastel look that almost seems cg at times, but isn't; really liked the slip in and out of the black-and-white footage for the expository scene; otherwise fuck this because it's dumb as fuck and that's about as far as I got. God Eater sucks. What a waste of effort.

ushio and tora 1, 2

love it; glad asako is da girl; very fun, looks like the ippo dudes at Mappa at work???; the prospect of going through an entire battle shonen with no fat in the way is rather exciting. Really enjoyed this.

rokka -

this is ugly and the mayan/aztec/whatever architecture does nothing for me, because it has no bearing at all on the setting as a whole. It's lazy; why the fuck do they have horses then; the leads all look like clowns; is there any logic behind the naming scheme; whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom