• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Akagami no shirayukihime - 02

Things that i liked.
-The escape plan
-The quick improvisation with the lamp
-Shirayuki herself

Things i disliked
-The explanation while the gas was in ( what for , lol ? )
-Shirayuki incredible naivety
-The obligatory male lead rescue

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Red Hair not Princess

shoujo levels achieved this ep: 1 independent MC standing up for herself, 1 kidnapping of the MC, 1 bad but handsome boy doing the kidnapping, 1 scene of the MC helping the kidnapper at the end, several slo-mo scenes where the MC goes all doki-doki and gets tears in her eyes, and 2 wall slams

verdict: dangerously shoujo

God Eater-1
Very, very solid write up, if I wasn't already a fan of the series, and if I hadn't seen the episode for myself I would have been sold lol.

Just a side question did you study film or animation, you seem to know a lot about this stuff

Hyouka - 1

All right, first thing's first. The animation. WOW. The backgrounds, the movements, the everything! Like, I'm at a loss for words. If I were to go into more detail about this I'd probably be writing this post all night. This is beautiful.

Characters are all right. Nothing exactly gripping about them yet, but given how much I've heard this show is a slow boil, I don't expect much right now.

All in all, it's a simple but decent setup. I think I'll be just fine with this show.

Yessss. One more watching Hyouka. Enjoy!

Wow, GE does not look like I expected.

Also, this

is from the PSP game's OP, which is amazing.

Best OP in gaming.

Cornbread78

Dog Days'' 2
Wolf Girl and the Black Prince 1

This was funnier than I thought it'd be given the premise.

Wolf Girl and the Black Prince 2

Everyone is so fucking awful to one another in this so far. I hope it stays this way. :lol The overly serious previews just adds to everything too.

Wolf Girl and the Black Prince 3

They drove home that lack of maternal element with that snowman flashback. :lol

Wolf Girl and the Black Prince 4

Takeru's an amazing addition to the cast.

It's amazing how much of a piece of crap she is treated as. It's pretty funny throughout but gets better towards the end as well.

fertygo

I really like it, looks pretty distinct, the shading makes it kounda cg-y;

too bad it's God Eater...

Its looks weird at first, but I started to dig it.

I wish its actually full 3DCG tho, its GREAT progress if CG anime actually look like that.

but the white outline thing is sucky tho

Lupin The 3rd: The Castle of Cagliostro

vunb2i8.png

Hayao Miyazaki's first movie and like most of his flim's that I've watched it was a fun film. Everything I've watched related to the Lupin Franchise or Hayao Miyazaki has been a fun watch and this is no exception.

True some characters don't act the way they normally would. Most of the characters in general are more friendly and easygoing, Lupin is less lecherous and more heroic while Fujiko doesn't even seduce anyone in this film (Or betray Lupin for that matter). But I say it as Miyazaki adding his own interpretations to the characters and never detracted from the film. Cagliostro makes for a good villain and Clarisse has her character rather than being a standard damsel in distress but otherwise the movie original characters aren't that notable.

Castle of Cagliostro definitely has Miyazaki's style shown throughout the movie. The use of planes, the castle being surrounded by nature, characters at great heights or at the edge of a precipitous drop. Feels like I'm watching a Studio Ghibli film rather then a Lupin film at times.

I watched the family-friendly Manga dub new to the 35 anniversary release. I'd recommend watching The Castle of Cagliostro either with that dub or the original Japanese over the not very good Streamline dub or the "look at me I'm so edgy with my unnecessary swearing" Manga dub.

So yeah, overall I really liked The Castle of Cagliostro. It has the same charm Miyazaki films have with an extra flavor of Lupin thrown in for good measure.

Dresden

umaru - 1

It takes a little too long to get to why Umaru is likable at all. Also kinda drags early on - as cool as the tantrum scene looked it was super annoying as well, way too bratty early on with none of the charm to balance it out. At least it looks great with nice playful animation.

stuff I'll bother watching next week

Ushio and Tora
Prison School
Umaru

Crocodile

Are you just talking about the premise? God Eater's story seems like a pretty standard chuuni tale.

I'm not super familiar with God Eater but I mean they are similar in that they are both shows with heavy CG elements (RWBY is all CG whereas it looks like God Eater is a mix of CG and 2D animation?) about a military group that employs a group of teenage soldiers who use super-powered, ridiculous weapons to fight a mysterious monster race (though the monsters aren't the only foes in RWBY but may be that's the same in God Eater too?).

You say "chuuni" but doesn't that apply to hyperactive imaginations and awkward LARPing? How does that apply to God Eater?

Could someone offer me a suggestion for a show?

For the past few days I've been looking for a good Zombie Apocolypse Anime. Something like The Walking Dead with a band of survivors trying to survive and along the way characters face hardships, possible die and maybe replaced. Any ideas?

Puruzi

Banned

For the past few days I've been looking for a good Zombie Apocolypse Anime. Something like The Walking Dead with a band of survivors trying to survive and along the way characters face hardships, possible die and maybe replaced. Any ideas?

Highschool of the Dead

CorvoSol

Tetsujin 28 Go! Series review

I'm honestly not certain what to make of this show, now that I've finished it. I don't mean for that to sound negative, only that I'm still trying to put together the finale's point. Tetsujin 28 Go is Imagawa's crack at the popular Tetsujin 28 series. Starring the original Shota, Shotaro Kaneda, a boy detective who just happens to also have a giant robot at his disposal. A lot of this series seems to be the base of Imagawa's more famous Giant Robo work. Character designs from this series appeared in that work in different roles.

One of the central themes of this work is the reconstruction of Japan following the end of US occupation. If I had to, I'd pin it as the main theme of the entire story, really. As such, Tetsujin is cast as Professor Kaneda's WMD to thwart the Allies and end war forever. The series unfolds into a spiraling network of mad scientists developing ultimate weapons intended to end war. Weapons which Tetsujin and Shotaro must fight. In a way it reminded me of other works that ponder on the mass of weapons that the Cold War left behind.

For me, at least, Tetsujin is very much so the work of an old man. It's an old man's story. Every aspect of the show focuses upon the horrors the war left in the world, and despite his youthful pluck Shotaro is frequently made to suffer for the sins of his forebears. A lengthy period of the show is spent dwelling on whether or not Professor Kaneda was a traitor to his country, and on the undeniable horror of the weapons he built in the name of peace.

Indeed, there's a continuing focus in the show on the continued need for giant robots in the world. From Murasamke Kenji's crusade against Tetsujin in particular, to the literal trial and debate over Tetsujin's true nature (weapon or tool), the show is almost relentless in pursuing this question. I believe the reason for it comes in the finale, when Shotaro refers to Tetsujin as his other half. It's not just an inquisition into the machines man builds, but into man's true nature. And it is for this reason I'm still a little confused, because part of me feels that the series' conclusion is that man is the weapon, not the tool, or rather, man is a force for ill, and not for good in the world. Even if that reading is wrong, the imagery of
Tetsujin's immolation
and the message that that sends about how best to move forward in our lives and as a society is decidedly somber.

I'm not really sure what I think and how I feel about the show, just yet, but I definitely came away from it feeling more heavy than anything.

Squishy3

Gintama 233-238

This arc was amazing, just parody after parody after parody. And then after the arc finishes I get a 2 parter shogun appearance? Sunrise you love me too much.

Prisn School 1

Better than I expected it to be. The faces are really good. Voice work is pretty outstanding too. Censoring hurts it but at least the faces are there. Hope there's some BD corrections though.

Shimoneta 2

Not that pool! Another fun episode.

GATE 1

Think this will be my guilty pleasure show this season. Which is weird to say considering I'm watching Prison School and Shimoneta.

I'm not super familiar with God Eater but I mean they are similar in that they are both shows with heavy CG elements (RWBY is all CG whereas it looks like God Eater is a mix of CG and 2D animation?) about a military group that employs a group of teenage soldiers who use super-powered, ridiculous weapons to fight a mysterious monster race (though the monsters aren't the only foes in RWBY but may be that's the same in God Eater too?).

You say "chuuni" but doesn't that apply to hyperactive imaginations and awkward LARPing? How does that apply to God Eater?

I was using chuuni as a "genre" descriptor, namely for power fantasies about teenagers getting magical powers and being incredibly special. Edginess and overuse of foreign words and names generally come with the territory. Think of things like Type Moon works or Code Geass.

Crocodile

The overimaginative LARPers like shows like this with cool mysterious characters with named weapons and attacks.

I was using chuuni as a "genre" descriptor, namely for power fantasies about teenagers getting magical powers and being incredibly special. Edginess and overuse of foreign words and names generally come with the territory. Think of things like Type Moon works or Code Geass.

Doesn't that make basically almost every shonen action show a "chunni" show? I thought "chunni" had a very specific meaning and application.

fertygo

Doesn't that make basically every shonen action show a "chunni" show? I thought "chunni" had a very specific meaning and application.

Probably yeah, because anime action show most likely closer to DragonBall/Onepiece fantasy style than something like Black Lagoon.

Andrew J.

The overimaginative LARPers like shows like this with cool mysterious characters with named weapons and attacks.

Yeah, in this context a "chuuni" anime is an edgy action show with outlandish costume design, high melodrama, inexplicably foreign proper names, and elaborate-yet-somehow-familiar worldbuilding.

cj_iwakura

Maria The Virgin Witch 10-11

Tying itself up with a neat little bow, but I'm okay with that. Kind of gives me ideas for a Mage campaign based around the Inquisition.

Sterok

Sugar Sugar Rune 37

Robin and Glacier are close. Very close. You can tell they used to work together. The cat is a traitor? And just who is she really? Chocolat is finally able to tell Pierre to go screw himself without extra help. Nice to see she's finally progressed. And in the background, no one can tell what troubles Vanilla. It is kind of messed up that Queen Candy is blatantly favoring Chocolat over her own daughter. Pierre makes the move I suspected he'd make.

Sugar Sugar Rune 38

And here we go. I guess Vanilla was more desperate than I thought. Blanca kind of sucks for not noticing this earlier. Though I did think her not showing up much is odd. Candy is just cold to her daughter. Act like you care woman. The show did a pretty good job of building up Vanilla's loneliness and resentment, but she jumped to Pierre's ship a little too fast when she knows perfectly well how dangerous she is. A student council election between someone whose heart clearly isn't in the race vs someone who wants to abolish tests. Great choices. I guess the former would win here, and she probably didn't need Ogre cheating. Best friends are enemies. Things are ramping up fast.

Non Non Biyori Repeat 2

Based Nii-san. It's about time he got some screen time, I always knew he had amazing skills. Hopefully this season provides more of him, considering he's like the darkhorse of this series. Yeah it really seems like this season is filling the gaps of season 1. I mean season 2 is called Repeat. Anyway it was a really enjoyable and comfy episode. Loved the star gazing segment.

Akagami Shirayuki-hime 2

Shirayuki is definitely a great MC. She's such a independent and strong female. When she was caught never once did she think about Zen or anyone to help save her, but instead she used her wits and herbalist skills to outsmart the kidnapper. I'm loving how both leads can normally talk to each other without being awkward or that blushing shyness nonsense. The comfy and relaxed atmosphere the series oozes is just great, plus the OST helps elevate it as well. Anyway I can't wait to see Shirayuki progress in being a Herbalist.

Gbraga

Jitsu wa, watashi wa 2

Eeeh, not that fond of the "everyone finds out their secret and is also a supernatural being" thing, it's a bit stupid to me, but we'll see, at least they're going with it right away, instead of giving us time to get used to having just the two of them in the known and then suddenly aliens.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I started watching Yamada and the Seven Witches. Up to episode 3. I like it so far. The change in the character's mannerisms and voices when they switch is pretty hilarious.

Saudades

This season's
Gakkou Gurashi
Or High School of the Dead, if you don't mind physics-defying boobs.

Also Casshern Sins is a good post-apocalyptic anime with something pretty close to zombie but not quite.

Jarmel

Banned
Just a side question did you study film or animation, you seem to know a lot about this stuff

Other than taking a few college film classes, not really. There's a lot I could learn about different types of camera lenses and shot types. It's just practice, that's all it is.

wonzo

Banned
umaru - 1

It takes a little too long to get to why Umaru is likable at all. Also kinda drags early on - as cool as the tantrum scene looked it was super annoying as well, way too bratty early on with none of the charm to balance it out. At least it looks great with nice playful animation.

stuff I'll bother watching next week

Ushio and Tora
Prison School
Umaru
rip wakako-zake

Cornbread78

I started watching Yamada and the Seven Witches. Up to episode 3. I like it so far. The change in the character's mannerisms and voices when they switch is pretty hilarious.

This was my spring surprise anime, I really liked it a lot because outside if the fun stuff it had a good plot and a good romance element to it that didn't overpower the story.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ushio and Tora 1

Fights with dad before breakfast? giant monsters sealed underneath the family temple? seals being broken?

Shounen level: 90's

TraBuch

Banned
Is Log Horizon better than SAO? I liked the premise of SAO, not so much the characters, or the weird turn it took midway through.

Moaradin

Is Log Horizon better than SAO? I liked the premise of SAO, not so much the characters, or the weird turn it took midway through.

Yes. Log Horizon actually understands what MMOs are. SAO is hardly about the actual game, and more about the dumb harem.

sonicmj1

Yes.

It doesn't have the easy hooks of "escape the game" or "If you die in the game you die for real!" but Log Horizon is much more focused on the actual political struggles resulting from dumping bunch of MMO players into MMO fantasyland, and the characters reflect that. Could be exactly what you're looking for, depending on what you were hoping for from SAO.

Spice & Wolf 7

Another show I've started a while ago that I'm planning to finish. The episode I'm (re)starting off isn't from the LN's but it's still an enjoyable watch. Hopefully going forward, the rest of the show will be as good as the LN's.

Classroom Crisis - 01

This is fun.

The synopsis of this one definitely had me a bit worried, I was concerned that the SciFi space background that the story was set in would ultimately take a backseat to whatever highschool drama they wanted to insert to appeal to whatever demographic they were aiming for. I came away instead with a surprisingly optimistic view of the way it handled that part of the show.
qgaKj5V.jpg

Samurai Flamenco?

Our protagonist, for once, is actually the teacher of the class and I didn't realize how something as subtle as taking the main point of view away from some generic self insert student to a generic self insert authority figure leading the class could feel so refreshing. I can almost forgive the show for the hamfisted style of character development near the beginning where they clearly layed out the protag's hopes, dreams, and overarching goals in a single sequence. Fortunately that was probably the only clear low point in the episode and the second half delivers on what I had picked up the show to begin with for.

The fucking space part. The second half has the series delving into the main conflict of the episode as first introduced in the show's opening moments. A mission that has our characters making use of
their prototype ship in order to stage a rescue mission
. While certainly the show isn't what I'd call a "looker", with a lot of the background art being serviceable at best, I found the moments where you're switching between ground control and the view of the cockpit to actually be quite exciting. While I could certainly criticize the "SciFi" aspect of the execution of the mission (an asteroid belt with that much debris would most certainly land you in a situation where any number of small objects would kill you in moments which directly conflicts with a protag who values "Safety First") I found myself ignoring all that because this show is in space. And space is fucking cool. What it solidifies in this moment is something that I really value in shows like this though, that this isn't a one man show. That our protag is going to ultimately be leaning on the strength of others in order to achieve his goals. Also the transfer student is great.

Don't go in expecting something on the level of Planetes in terms of attention to detail or competency in its execution though, cus this shit aint that.

Pooya

red damsel in distress- 2

*groan* I will watch this because still looks kind of pretty (there were some quality shots this week though..) and music is nice, this is twenty something episodes right? well, I hope it gets better.

god eater 1

I don't like their shading one bit, looks so bad. I'm quite familiar with the game so I didn't have any expectations for the story or character, just for some good action which I think it will provide still, that art style though, characters over backgrounds look horrible and makes it look extremely cheap but it's not really cheap. bad choice.

Cornbread78

Night and day in regards to tone, characters and presentation. No love stories in LH.

I liked SAO better, but for different reasons.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

Yes, yes it is, but you got to stick with it, the show isn't very flashy or visceral. It is the difference between eating a fast food burger against a finely cooked slab of steak.

cajunator

Banned
People hating Summer Wars?

I haven't seen it, but I was under the impression that it was really well received in here.

Like, ToonamiGAF had a blast with it if I remember correctly.

It is. Summer Wars is pretty well liked here.

Aishiteruze Baby ep.13-END:
tumblr_mn79jj2c6Q1spviuxo1_400.gif

hqdefault.jpg

So cute...

Alright, I had to finish this one up before I moved on back to watching Full Moon Wo Sagashite. Man, This one is a crazy ride of feels throughout. Even the side stories that are added about other family members like the cousin and lil' brother are touching and add an additional emotional layer to everything. Especially the story of the cousin; I'll be damned if I didn't tear up a little bit at that one. The series goes through many problems kids and parents both face in regards to social acceptance, balancing work and life commitments and putting someone else first; those and of course, LOVE. This was definately a good series to watch if you love kids and have a soft spot for a good love story of family as well as a side romance, that is sweet at it's core. There is actually character developement in this one for our heroine and MC, as well at the star of the show, the little girl, Yuzuyu. The animation is damn ugly at times, but the framed moments and touching tone that the anime portrays makes it well worth it... Great story over all, but, I'm surprised they actually stopped it here. I'm wondering if the manga carried the story further, especially with the Kippei/Kokoro romance, but who knows, it was a good ending as it was. Excellent. .

Yeah it ends on a good note. There should be a youtube video with just moments from Rin or Yuzuyu being adorable.

So I took a listen to Danmachi's OST and it's really good which is no surprise considering the the first few minutes of ep1 BGM intro was a good indicator and gave me a good feeling of this show.

Just like the show's RPGness it's BGM is a reminiscence of those fantasy JRPG game soundtracks.

I suggest you guys take a listen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2M9Wi4Zu60&list=PLx3S9kLyu2fJw4jd3JkMDJkgSR6OqXHwG&index=2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7GN2gKrhVA&index=3&list=PLx3S9kLyu2fJw4jd3JkMDJkgSR6OqXHwG

It was a decent soundtrack. Kind of generic but it worked well for the fantasy setting.

Full Moon Wo Sagashite ep.19-21

Ok, now their kicking up the feels a little bit with the reveal ti sensei and her manager, Takuto singing her song and the time spent with her friends (Meruko and Takuto's make-up) I'm not ready for the second half of this series as I can already tell..

Nice progress. Right now you are in the middle of everything, and mostly focusing on Mizuki's career as an idol singer and a few drama bits here and there. You can pretty much take your time with these episodes as they are kind of day to day slice of life stuff.

Worrying, given this is the second episode!

LIKE DIS IF YOU CRY EVERY TIME ;_;

(Why is Narag related to bullying?)

I think its mostly from his avatar punishments in NFL thread. Definitely a bully.

Just finish watching You're Under Arrest TV series Season 1. Man...the fun ride have to end eventually and this is the end of this series. Will post my impression soon.

A funny note: Because I own the Animeigo You're Under Arrest DVD box set, they is an extra episode. Look like it's the mini special. Can't say right now but if it's, kinda funny they add it on the DVD box. Will watch to see..

Im so glad you liked it! Theres plenty more YUA series to watch too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom