• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ushio and Tora 2

those samurai masks always look ballin'

and of course the girls lose their clothes but Ushio didn't

shounen haato: max

Robotguy

12764620985_5cbdcf4aee_b.jpg
What is this?

Sterok

Go Princess Precure 23

You know, I think I can live with this. Op changes again. Towa doesn't really want to mope around too much, even though she has no idea of what to actually do. She was a princess. She's used to being treated like one. I like this personality. Meeting writer principal again. So that was the purpose of making her the principal. Lock is in charge. In charge of a 2-man team. Poor Shut. No one respects him. Fight is solid as usual. Holy shit Lock. Next episode is going to keep up this momentum.

I know we're not supposed to think about it, but how do all these Cures from other worlds get their paperwork and all that? Especially Setsuna, since I doubt Mrs. Momozono knows how to fake that stuff.

Classroom Crisis - 02

A couple of highschool kids got together one day 70 years ago and decided to revolutionize human space travel. Sure, why not?

CIVfRWE.jpg

Still the best.

The small amount of time the show spent this episode exploring the fun dynamic of having a transfer student thats simultaneously your boss and the little dash of internal company politics were about the only positive things this thing had going for it. What we're greeted with for the other 90% of the episode is some of the most hamfisted character development I've ever seen. It's 2 parts exposition dump and what feels like someone reading every defining character trait off of a fact sheet for every significant character existing in the show. "Lazy" doesn't quite capture the magic that comes with being bombarded with every detail about the world, its technology, and the internal motivations of all of its players in a single 15-20 minute sequence in what is literally presented as a documentary that other, even less important characters are watching while absolutely nothing goes on anywhere.

So yeah, that sucked.

Highschool of the Dead

This season's
Gakkou Gurashi
Or High School of the Dead, if you don't mind physics-defying boobs.

Also Casshern Sins is a good post-apocalyptic anime with something pretty close to zombie but not quite.

Thanks, Ill check them out. Actually the reason I've suddenly got this sudden 'zombie' craving is because I picked up
Gakkou Gurashi
this season. Funny how that works.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
whatever this bully thing is you're all running it to the ground

cajunator

Banned
Perfect Blue

Well, that was weird! But very good, as expected. There was a definite sense that every scene was important, every detail thought out - I was asking myself questions right till the end, and the film doesn't outright tell you everything. Just to make sure I'm thinking along the right lines,
the weird security guy was just a obsessed Mima fan who had more than a few screws loose, with Rumi manipulating him into doing a lot of the dirty work in order to torment Mima ("The real Mima emails me every day! She says you're dragging her down!") Rumi's motives for doing so were that she was living vicariously through Mima as an idol in order to live out her own failed dreams (which seems to made very obvious during the ending scenes), so when she gives up the idol business to become an actress Rumi sees it as a betrayal - hence why she essentially becomes idol Mima and declares the real Mima to be a fake. I'm not quite sure if Rumi committed all of the murders, but I think at the very least she murdered the photographer. The bag containing the bloodied clothes could be explained by the room not actually being Mima's as we later find out; it's a replica created by Rumi in order to further live out her life as Mima.
I think I'm right, but tell me if anything I gleaned from the film is incorrect!

I really loved the constant feeling that we were observing Mima's life, what with the frequent use of cameras, screens and the exterior shots of Mima's apartment. This also carried over into the
murder victims, who all had their eyes gouged out - perhaps this was done because they were observing the wrong Mima, and Rumi felt as if they were defiling her with their eyes, or something. I'm not sure, I need to think it over.

The photographer got
stabbed in the dick too! That's gotta hurt! I'm guessing that was punishment for using Mima's image for sexual gratification.

The film did a brilliant job of building tension and making me feel almost constantly uncomfortable. Perhaps my favourite example of this is the scene near the beginning where Mima's sitting alone in her apartment, and
she gets a phone call with heavy breathing down the line, and the fax that calls her out as a traitor.
Similarly,
when she first starts going through the Mima's Room site and the details it contains get slowly more and more intricate and personal is one of my favourite moments in the film.
That fake
rape scene was incredibly uncomfortable to watch too, which is only amplified when it gets mirrored in the climax of the film.

Even though the audio wasn't done by Susumu Hirasawa, it still leapt out to me as phenomenal, not only in the music itself but the use of volume and layers of audio to create a feeling of claustrophobia and anxiety. I particularly liked the scene with the CD player in the lift, where the music starts distant, then begins blaring out loud when the doors open. It was incredibly oppressive and the pop music juxtaposed with the tension of the scene, especially with what happened afterwards, was masterful.

A fantastic film overall - I kinda want to watch it again with the knowledge of what's actually going on to see if I spot anything new or if something previously innocuous pops out as significant.

(Yes Cajun, my next Kon related endeavour is going to be Millennium Actress! I haven't forgotten it!)

Yaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Sölf;171802418 said:
I just saw this. No idea if it was already posted. Kill La Kill english dub Bloopers from a Comicon panel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fd4UFoODdo

So gud. xD

reminds me of the Berserk ones. I love when the VAs do this. Its been a good while since Ive seen good ones. Another hilarious one is the Midori Days one.

Ushio and Tora 1:
This really does feel like a show from a long past era in many ways, both in the story as well as the visuals. I quite like the setup here. There's some good potential set up from the start, and the first episode was pretty enjoyable and had a lot of room to breath. I know the pacing will probably be faster in future episodes given that this was a fairly long manga series, but hopefully it's at a manageable level.

Thats because it literally is a show from a long past era. they did very little to change it to a more modern feel. Frankly, I really like that about it.
They have been very faithful to the original.

Inou Battle 7

Damn, that Hatoko scene was really feelsy. Poor girl.

Inou Battle 8

Oh look, things seems to actually be happening for once. (And I honestly wasn't expecting it to be something like
a dang Fairy war
. Color me surprised.) So maybe all these people aren't actually delusional.

I was gonna watch the whole series anyway as I do actually like it, but this episode may have actually "redeemed" it, assuming things keep moving forward from here.

Oh its THAT Hatoko scene <3
She tore him a new one hehee
Thats why she is the best!

youre-under-arrest-cover-870x400.jpg

Well, manage to finish this show after spreading it for around 2 months. I gotta to say, this is the most fun anime show I have for a while and might become one of my favorite franchise because of this TV show.

The story continue after the OVA leave off. You follow Natsumi and Miyuki in Bokuto Precinct police force, solving problem during they patrol or around they work with the help of they friend once a while. After work, you see them try to solve they personal problem they have along the show. That is roughly the majority of the show really noting too crazy when you think about it. What make it even work is how the episode is structure. Each episode have it's own story line which isn't hard to follow or too long. This actually make the show more easier to watch and more interesting (to even crazy dumb) idea bring into the show. This keep it more fresh as you don't have to watch back to back of the episode to follow what happened and more interesting idea to see of what Natsumi and Miyuki or even they friend do in the event of the episode. Not say it's will be like this all the of them as once a while, a two or three part episodes show will pop out mostly to develop the story or the character in the show. While is important.

For character development, because of how the show is setup, the development of the character is minimum but decent. For most development, it come down to the episode story as it will help develop the character for the episode (like an episode for Aoi and how a man want to proposed to her even though Aoi is trans woman). You will see them sprinkle around the series and it's design for specific character and try to develop them.

For some reason, the two main female characters work well like yin and yang. They chemistry work well in the TV series that you kinda want to see them to develop even more. Still, they're development for other main character in the show based on the episode which explain it. By the end of the show, you will like almost all the character in the show one way to another.

For music, like the OVA, it's from the time of the 90s and still sound good even today. This for both the music and the background music. Both sound well and match the mood of the scene when use. For some reason (maybe me), it doesn't match how great like the OVA for some reason. I am guessing they're more background music which is simple and generic but work. Still, fun to listen outside of the show for most of the song.

For animation, this is maybe a big side you notice from the OVA. Because this is the TV show, the quality of the animation drop quite a bit from the OVA. While the OVA is detail on both background and character, the TV series, try to keep it simple so, those detail you see on the OVA is now reduce quite a bit. This might be a huge drop when you're coming from the OVA into the TV show like me as I am watching it from my Animeigo DVD box set, but it won't really ruin the show and you don't really think too much of it as you're keeping watching.

Overall, love the TV show quite a bit. It's a simple show to watch and you don't need to spend too much time in the stroyline but still fun to watch. If you want to see Natsumi and Miyuki trying to fight crime or solve a mystery like in the OVA, then you will like this show much more. For people who never watch the show, go watch it as it's a simple and fun show to watch and you will enjoy it quite a bit like me.

If you enjoy this sort of anime buddy cop dynamic, you might actually enjoy Miami Guns. Its much more recent but still has some great comedy and charm. Not nearly as realistic of course.

Zenfalcia

This season is pure bliss~

Overlord
It seems promising, quite a bit of set up in the first episode. Skeleton man is the best main character ever.

Dandelion 02
LwRR62m.jpg

Low twintails are clearly better than high twintails though.

All these sibling interactions are pretty fun, though the latter half was kind of boring with the childhood friend romance.

This show is pretty much how I feel about a lot of shows this season. I can't say it's great or anything special, but am still having fun with it.

Kenstar

Don't go in expecting something on the level of Planetes in terms of attention to detail or competency in its execution though, cus this shit aint that.

No anime is or will ever be as Hard a space sci-fi as Planetes was

The show has them de-orbit stuff by correctly sending it on a retrograde (Opposite the orbit path) trajectory instead of a radial (pointing towards earth) trajectory like every other anime would

Inou Battle 12

I see. So this whole first season was basically just character growth and a setup for season 2, assuming there is one. Can't say I'm a fan of this approach, but if it means future episodes lean more towards the action and supernatural side, I'll be happy. If most of this season was like the last episode, I'd have enjoyed it a lot more. That's not too say I didn't like this show, but it was kinda underwhelming. This episode did get me excited for the series' potential, but I'll keep my hopes on check.

Kino's Journey 08

Kino's is stronger when it focuses on character stories. There was some questionable animation like the quick kiss and the flying sequence but the story of struggle, ambition and success was fantastic.

Game of Laplace 02

Wow, this is one fucked up show. I absolutely love it. From the gruesome scenes interjected with comedy to the totally Yandere MC, the show has enough fucked upness to really reel you in.

Rainy

Banned
Prison School 1

Never read the manga so had no idea what this was really all about. Interesting to say the least. The scenes did seem to change quite quickly though, so I guess I can see where pacing problems come in. Can't wait for next week though.

Hm might be time to start Aikatsu.

Exalted

GOD EATER 01:
Pretty sure this character type needs it's own term now.
Looking at your posted pics , God Eaters animation really stands out, compared to other shows. It's definitely very different than the norm , and it also looks high quality and expensive at the same time.

Quasar

Non Non Biyori Repeat 2 - Episode 2 was nice. The ruler (and eraser) games brought memories flooding back. First time I've really run into a obscure Japanese childhood game in anime that I played as a kid here in Australia, Well aside from rock-paper-scissors.

And Nii-chan was great.

cajunator

Banned
Wow, GE does not look like I expected.

Also, this

is from the PSP game's OP, which is amazing.

I like the character designs a lot but I have yet to actually watch God Eater. I always mix it up with Soul Eater.

Just goofy comic moments.

NO SALE :(

Yeah, in this context a "chuuni" anime is an edgy action show with outlandish costume design, high melodrama, inexplicably foreign proper names, and elaborate-yet-somehow-familiar worldbuilding.

ALways loved the concepts behind chuuni anime. But it didnt used to be called as such.

Ushio and Tora 1

Fights with dad before breakfast? giant monsters sealed underneath the family temple? seals being broken?

Shounen level: 90's

Its so 90s shounen that even I love it. Although thats kinda cheating since it IS a 90s show.

Is Log Horizon better than SAO? I liked the premise of SAO, not so much the characters, or the weird turn it took midway through.

Yes much much better!

Jintor

Non Non Biyori Repeat 2 - Episode 2 was nice. The ruler (and eraser) games brought memories flooding back. First time I've really run into a obscure Japanese childhood game in anime that I played as a kid here in Australia, Well aside from rock-paper-scissors.

And Nii-chan was great.

i've never played ruler fight before. wake me up when they play handball, wallball, or just start beating each other up like REAL AUSTRALIANS(TM)

seriously though

Non Non Biyori s2 02

I think the Ruler battle was proof that direction and voice acting can go a long way to making what could be a super boring scene really enthralling. Nii-chan is amazing.

Cornbread78

What is this?

A crazy girl doing crazy things. Both girls are really cute and completely mentAly unstable. Although, there are Gods influencimg her in School Live..

That reminds me I need to continue watching Monogatari series. I finished the first season but still haven't continued on.

Parts are cringe worthy, but it is worth all the craziness. I'm psyched for the continuation airing in Oct.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Umaru-chan Episode 1 was excellent.

She is the perfect girl.

A lady in the streets
An otaku in the sheets.

cajunator

Banned

DAT SNAKE

This season is pure bliss~

Overlord
It seems promising, quite a bit of set up in the first episode. Skeleton man is the best main character ever.

This season is off to a pretty great start!

best episode since Vampkatsu.

I dunno about the reasons for consistently DA BES CG but I'm not complaining when it's used for cute girls instead of bad late night anime.

That ponytail, man. you have great taste Zachy.

Kino's Journey 08

Kino's is stronger when it focuses on character stories. There was some questionable animation like the quick kiss and the flying sequence but the story of struggle, ambition and success was fantastic.

I looooove that episode! As someone with an interest in aviation technology and history, it kind of spoke to me. It echoed the same real sentiments of early pioneers that their ideas would never work or werent practical, only to be proven completely wrong and in the end, inspire the world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom