• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Unlimited Fafnir ep 1-3
tumblr_nhyli6Cnpy1sqbbypo1_500.gif

Unlimited%2BFafnir%2B1.gif

Ok, so this was this week's divergence anime to watch and I must say I really like the first three episodes so far. I'm sure there is a lot of crap that happens in the coming episodes for people to hate it so much, but a good mix of action and comedy so far. I throw the "romance" aspect out since I know this is a harem anime, lol. The MC is acruelly pretty good so far and has a confident and cool side to him and the girls are all cute, of course, lol.

Unlimited Fafnir ep 1-3
tumblr_nhyli6Cnpy1sqbbypo1_500.gif

Unlimited%2BFafnir%2B1.gif

Ok, so this was this week's divergence anime to watch and I must say I really like the first three episodes so far. I'm sure there is a lot of crap that happens in the coming episodes for people to hate it so much, but a good mix of action and comedy so far. I throw the "romance" aspect out since I know this is a harem anime, lol. The MC is acruelly pretty good so far and has a confident and cool side to him and the girls are all cute, of course, lol.

Unlimited fafnir is alright ... there are 2 episodes rough around the edges but overall the show was above average...
Watch it without too much worries.

Qurupeke

Kokoro Connect

I finished this the other day, so I thought of posting some impressions in case someone is interested. Spoilers of course but if anyone is interested I could post some spoiler free impressions. I wanted to watch this for some time now but I only recently found the chance.

First, it seems like a second season isn't coming, a real shame. About the show, I liked the premise despite being general but I loved the fact that the show focused on the relationships of the characters more than paranormal phenomena themselves. Love is part of the relationships but I didn't really like it that by the end this was the main focus. The personality switch arc was the best and it didn't focus much at this. Instead, it had Taichi solving the problems, most of them being way more serious than what I'd imagine in such a series. The climax of this arc was really great and it actually felt sudden(in a good way) and a real twist. I think the series should have followed this arc more, as far as the tone in concerned. The "villain" felt extremely threatening on this one.

The second arc(desire unleash) wasn't exactly bad, but very underwhelming. Drama became kind of insufferable there. The phenomenon couldn't cause as much trouble as the other ones if everyone was careful and worked together. Instead, Yui decided to shut herself and Inaba ignored everyone despite opposing to this at first. Aoki was pretty much non existent there too. Despite preferring Inaba, I didn't really like the way it was revealed that she liked Taichi. Iori was the best in this arc and the one that essentially saved the group but nobody really cared.

The third arc, while not bad at all, wasn't as good as the first. The time reversing phenomenon was interesting and worked really well, but the only real problem there was the fact that someone would see them. But nothing really happened. There were some nice moments and Inaba x Taichi became even more prominent and that's it. When the Second punished Taichi, I hoped for something more threatening but again nothing extremely important happened. The ending was satisfying though.

The extra 4th arc was really, really weird and mediocre. The phenomenon itself was certainly not something threatening but you had Iori become something entirely insufferable for no reason. I understand that she was treated like rubbish and had suffered the most but her change was sudden, in certainly no a good way. But others characters kind of sucked there too. Aoki did absolutely nothing, Inaba was causing more problems than good and Taichi was useless for the first time. Iori returned to her normal self on her own and this was followed by a lame kidnapping.

Generally, I'd say that it was nice but I wanted more. Too much focus on love triangle, while Yui and especially Aoki barely had any time. Aoki's plot was generally very stupid but this is what happened to all the characters in the end.

kokoro-connect-himeko-inaba-evik-grin.jpg

Cornbread78

Unlimited fafnir is alright ... there are 2 episodes rough around the edges but overall the show was above average...
Watch it without too much worries.

Sounds good. It's a short one so I'm not too worried.

Classroom*Crisis ep.2
Damn, go get 'em Sensei! That ending actually got me pretty pumped up. Not just with sensei sticking up for his beliefs, but also fir the students. Also, there is clear dissention in the corporate office, so that will be a nice side plot watching the sibling rivalry there. Overall, I'm not sure why this episode got so much hate, yes, there wasn't much action, but it was a complete story/plot setup for the rest of the show. It serves it's purpose well. The romance will be Sensei's little sister and Nagisa for sure as the seeds have now been sown. This is definitely going to be a pretty good follow if they stay on this path.

Actually, I Am ep.2
How cute was that tentacle, lol. Seriously, I know I'm going to be pissed at the end of this season since this is a promotional anime for the manga and it won't have a true ending, but the first two episodes have both been fun to watch with lots if comedy and insane hijinks. There is a one sided romance involved, but meh, keep focusing on the fun for this pne.

Is Log Horizon better than SAO? I liked the premise of SAO, not so much the characters, or the weird turn it took midway through.

No its much worst. The only time Log Horizon is as good as SAO is when its focused on Tohya's crew otherwise, the only reason to watch is just to hear Ittoki Otoya's va in the lead role.

/XX/

Reminder that this week in Japan (July 17, to be more precise) comes the new wave of Ghibli Ga Ippai Collection digital disc releases, and I wanted to clarify about how I wrongly assumed at the time that the works from the old TMS Entertainment catalogue would have practically the same authoring process done as the ones already available on Blu-ray Disc, that were published by them on their own... the truth is that supposedly a new higher-quality encoding was now achieved instead, by using the very same techniques researched by Panasonic Hollywood Laboratory as usually done in the more recent titles of the collection. Better incentives to get them, for sure!

For animation, this is maybe a big side you notice from the OVA. Because this is the TV show, the quality of the animation drop quite a bit from the OVA. While the OVA is detail on both background and character, the TV series, try to keep it simple so, those detail you see on the OVA is now reduce quite a bit. This might be a huge drop when you're coming from the OVA into the TV show like me as I am watching it from my Animeigo DVD box set, but it won't really ruin the show and you don't really think too much of it as you're keeping watching.
In contrast to that, probably the most spectacular stretch of animation from the whole franchise came in the form of legendary Norio Matsumoto and his failed attempt to do a complete 'solo' episode for the first season of the TV series!

Even if just half of the planned content ended up 'on air' in time, this effort nicely represented how there is no need of only doing a pursue for detail on draftsmanship for animation when dynamism (just think of that background animation through a 'fisheye-lens style' wide angle in comparison to what anything else would have not accomplished for the intended cut, as much more detailed as it could possibly would have been instead) and impactful timing on the delivery can supply a much heightened impression, like this does.

Hey guys, back to the anime thread to ask some little things! Hope someone can answer then.

First, from Aquarion Logos... what the fuck is this supposed to be? I watched EVOL and the episode 00(EVOL OVA) of this was some weird crossover between the older one, EVOL and some characters that I've never seem... So, is this show actually very related to the old ones or was this just a "fan-service" OVA?

And, more of a curiosity, in Gangsta, is the sign language being done properly? If so, that's pretty cool.

Gbraga

Actually, I Am ep.2
How cute was that tentacle, lol. Seriously, I know I'm going to be pissed at the end of this season since this is a promotional anime for the manga and it won't have a true ending, but the first two episodes have both been fun to watch with lots if comedy and insane hijinks. There is a one sided romance involved, but meh, keep focusing on the fun for this pne.

Does the manga actually go anywhere though? I don't read Nisekoi, but from what I've heard, if they just end it without a proper resolution just to promote the manga, we won't really be missing any actual story progression.

John Blade

youre-under-arrest-diverting-traffic-at-the-beach-3389.jpg

This will be a short impression as they isn't much to say really. It's a one off special episode which is include in the DVD box set. Overall, it's like the typical TV show episode and really if you like the TV show, you will like this.

The story line is simple to understand. Miyuki and Natsumi have to work in the beach road to direct the traffic for people who are going to the beach for summer vacation. Along the way, both of them will fight a crime and save a someone who is downing in the water while at the same time try to look sexy in they work. That's is the man idea of the show. Like I say, it's like the average TV episode story line. Still, love some Miyuki and Natsumi action chemistry in this episode.

The only downside might come down to animation. For some reason (don't know the reason), they mix hand drawn animation and computer animation (not as CG but more like scan the animation into the computer style) together. Unfortunately, it doesn't look that good and feel out of place as you're watching it. Fortunately, it's like 25% hand drawn and the rest is 75% computer so, you won't notice it too often but when you do, it look really weird and feel like the people who making this short might have run out time to get this out.

For the computer animation, it's one of those early work style, not too detail but have this bright color look. It's okay but kinda miss the old style hand drawn look from the TV show.

Another thing I notice which you didn't see in the previous You're Under Arrest show before hand is how the character design make Miyuki and Natsumi look even sexy by adding a much bigger breast on them. You see it in quite a few scene in the short. I am guessing it's trying to please the fans who like the show which is normal at that time.

Overall, it's a fun short. If you're a fan of the show, go watch it. Just be prepare for the odd animation look when you're watching.

duckroll

Whats going on with the last episode of Blood Blockade Battlefront?

First it was delayed because they were still working on it. Then they announced that it would not be broadcast at this point because they worked so hard on it that the length surpassed the TV broadcast slot, so they'll be airing it later on as a special. No date has been set.

I think it's all PR bullshit. They probably still haven't finished making it. :p

First it was delayed because they were still working on it. Then they announced that it would not be broadcast at this point because they worked so hard on it that the length surpassed the TV broadcast slot, so they'll be airing it later on as a special. No date has been set.

I think it's all PR bullshit. They probably still haven't finished making it. :p

I hope Funi gets it on time.

It's been so long now that I am not even that interested in watching it anymore. BBB was cool and all but it definitely wasn't my favourite show of last season. With this huge break the tension from the cliffhanger just isn't there for me anymore. I think that was handled pretty badly, but hey if BD sales are of any indication folks in Japan loved it so I may just be the odd one out.

Cornbread78

Does the manga actually go anywhere though? I don't read Nisekoi, but from what I've heard, if they just end it without a proper resolution just to promote the manga, we won't really be missing any actual story progression.

I'm not really sure. I've just been told that the manga is still ongoing so to not expect an ending at all. Typical of an an anime created to promote the manga only.

lonely

SPOILERS FOR THIS WEEKS ISSUE OF ACTUALLY, I AM/ JITSU WA WATASHI WA
He confessed to Yoko at the end of this weeks chapter!

fertygo

It's been so long now that I am not even that interested in watching it anymore. BBB was cool and all but it definitely wasn't my favourite show of last season. With this huge break the tension from the cliffhanger just isn't there for me anymore. I think that was handled pretty badly, but hey if BD sales are of any indication folks in Japan loved it so I may just be the odd one out.

I surviving worse thing from certain title at 2007, this is natink

OceanBlue

I surviving worse thing from certain title at 2007, this is natink
Lol are you talking about E7? Madoka was pretty bad about this too right?

Didn't realize people hated Classroom Crisis ep 2. It wasn't that good but I still think the show is going to be really good. Really hyped for the next episode. :D

Acosta

Forget duckroll and his fastidious realism.

The reason of the delay is that they are working extra hard to create an ending worth of the greatness of this show, once this fantastic finale meets with raving critics and succesful sales, they'll start working in S2 right away.

Believe.

:(

Word on the street is that, as of last week, Rie Matsumoto still hadn't finished the storyboard for the last episode.

Lol are you talking about E7? Madoka was pretty bad about this too right?

Didn't realize people hated Classroom Crisis ep 2. It wasn't that good but I still think the show is going to be really good. Really hyped for the next episode. :D
I didn't hate it but I certainly found it boring. We just got a shitload of exposition via an interview tape pretty much, and the plot only really moved forward a tiny bit at the very end. Also I still have trouble understanding who the real MC or MCs are. The show is labelled as a romance too, so I am guessing it's gonna be a romance between CEO-kun and either She-Inaho or the blonde girl. Certainly not Sensei right, although he kinda does feel like the main character in this.

OceanBlue

I didn't hate it but I certainly found it boring. We just got a shitload of exposition via an interview tape pretty much, and the plot only really moved forward a tiny bit at the very end. Also I still have trouble understanding who the real MC or MCs are. The show is labelled as a romance too, so I am guessing it's gonna be a romance between CEO-kun and either She-Inaho or the blonde girl. Certainly not Sensei right, although he kinda does feel like the main character in this.
I think it makes more sense to think of the main stakeholders in each subplot rather than the main character as a whole, since that's the direction I see the show going in (although IMO the main character is Nagisa).

I guess I'm just pretty lenient to some forms of exposition dumping since I agree with Cornbread on the episode. We got a good look into how each character is handling the inciting action (sorry for describing it with a lit 101 term lol) and how they view Nagisa. It wasn't handled in the most elegant way, but I appreciate having the relationships clearly defined between each character.

phaze

Mushishi 15

Goddamn you Ginko for breaking my OTP.

I like that even when he succeeds in fixing the situation, Ginko is by no means infallible. Add to that, the amount of times when he is unable to help or even where fixing the Mushi problem doesn't mean a happy ending and you have a series that, despite my early fears, stays unpredictable and manages to avoid making Ginko into Deus Ex Machina.

Saudades

Word on the street is that, as of last week, Rie Matsumoto still hadn't finished the storyboard for the last episode.
And I just got to the Shirobako ep in which the director shirks his duties too.
35tL1sL.jpg

Next thing you're gonna tell me they'd aired a recap episode in place of the last one.

Edit: Damn, beaten.

fertygo

35tL1sL.jpg

Next thing you're gonna tell me they'd aired a recap episode in place of the last one.

They pretty much pass off the airing date brah, its up whenever they decided to I'd guess.

phaze

35tL1sL.jpg

Edit: Damn, beaten.

They already did a recap before the penultimate episode.

Matsumoto should go back to Toei. Clearly they schedule shows more sanely there. ;p

I think it makes more sense to think of the main stakeholders in each subplot rather than the main character as a whole, since that's the direction I see the show going in (although IMO the main character is Nagisa).

I guess I'm just pretty lenient to some forms of exposition dumping since I agree with Cornbread on the episode. We got a good look into how each character is handling the inciting action (sorry for describing it with a lit 101 term lol) and how they view Nagisa. It wasn't handled in the most elegant way, but I appreciate having the relationships clearly defined between each character.

Maybe things will get a bit clearer this week. This is why I am reserving my judgement, so far we were only given an episode introducing the MC(Nagisa?) and another showing us who the characters are and why we should care. The real plot should begin on episode 3.

Cornbread78

Maybe things will get a bit clearer this week. This is why I am reserving my judgement, so far we were only given an episode introducing the MC(Nagisa?) and another showing us who the characters are and why we should care. The real plot should begin on episode 3.

I don't know, to me Sensei is the MC and I think the plot moving forward was pretty much laid out clearly. Good things to come.

phaze

Shin Mazinger Z 01

I don't have a suitable gif for this.

I'm going to assume this was, chronologically, pretty much episode 25 out of 26 ep long series and the next episodes will be one giant flashback leading into this. Because surely, even this show isn't insane enough to drop the viewer right into what seems to be the very climax of the series, introducing 82 weird ass characters and their conflicts in the span of 20 minutes.

Frankly, I'm not quite sure this is my cup of tea. Giant Robo's oldschool silliness already rubbed me of wrong way and this seems to crank it up till infinity. Dr Evil, a guy who rides a lion into the battle, Zeus himself, pilot cockpits located in robot's breasts ? I'm not sure my brain is equipped to deal with this amount of insanity. Will give it a few eps I guess.

I don't know, to me Sensei is the MC and I think the plot moving forward was pretty much laid out clearly. Good things to come.
I'll be honest I'm watching a ton of stuff and this is the only show of the bunch that I am still not 100% sure about. I usually like this type of slice of life show as you know very well, but something seems a bit off and I can't quite put my finger on it. Again, hoping this week makes it clearer for me.

OceanBlue

I thought about this for a bit too, but Nagisa is more involved in the story right now IMO. Episode 2 was basically establishing his relationship with his brother, the classmates (especially the main two) and the teacher. The teacher does draw on his motivation at the end, and it does seem like Nagisa is the antagonist in the class shutdown subplot (which you can kinda see in the OP). This is one of the reasons I think this show will be interesting.

cajunator

Banned
Well, I would hate to have someone as spoiled as Umaru as my sister, that's true, but since I'm just watching the situations and laughing at the crap she puts her brother through, I think she's adorable.

She is. I almost had a younger sister to grow up with, but she only lived for a day. It would have been neat to have one.

shirobako-episode-5-4.jpg

The actual fun part of Shirobako...

Always hilarious when they locked him in there. How does such a lazy guy even get hired?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom