• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Midonin

Aikatsu! Akari Generation 140

Another episode like Vampire Scandal, in that it plays up the actress aspect of being an idol, in this case having the main cast act out a story taking place at a restaurant. Featuring Akari as a detective, Kokone as a "super waitress" and Juri as the main character, among other things. I like that it was explicitly presented and framed as a stage play, too. The mediums are kinda bleeding into each other, but the final effect of it all is worth it. And right on the heels of this Juri episode is... another Juri episode. I'm okay with this.

Well I knew Gangsta would be nitpicked a whole lot so I'm not surprised, this is AnimeGaf after all. I'll just enjoy the shows I watch nothing to be worried about.

Though it doesn't give me a lot of hope for the other shows for Summer, with the exception of maybe Ushio no Tora, Umaru, and Rokka.

Like always AnimeGaf has taught me that every season is shit. Now if only my computer got fixed.

Mandelbo

Ah, that's something I forgot I was interested in - Ranpo Kitan: A Game of Laplace. Given that it's based off the works of Edogawa Ranpo, who's supposed to have been really influential in Japanese mystery fiction and was heavily inspired by Edgar Allen Poe, I have hopes that the story will be interesting and well thought out!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
kwyJZ5Bl.png

This is the best voice cast in anime.

Arcadius

Banned
Well I knew Gangsta would be nitpicked a whole lot so I'm not surprised, this is AnimeGaf after all. I'll just enjoy the shows I watch nothing to be worried about.

Though it doesn't give me a lot of hope for the other shows for Summer, with the exception of maybe Ushio no Tora, Umaru, and Rokka.

Like always AnimeGaf has taught me that every season is shit. Now if only my computer got fixed.

Think that's for the best with shows that get nitpicked, not to worry about it.

You need to undo what AnimeGAF has taught you, every season is amazing!

Hey I liked it a lot. I remember you telling me about it a while back, I posted my impressions on the previous page, but I can't wait for more.

Hey I liked it a lot. I remember you telling me about it a while back, I posted my impressions on the previous page, but I can't wait for more.

Think that's for the best with shows that get nitpicked, not to worry about it.

You need to undo what AnimeGAF has taught you, every season is amazing!

Don't worry nothing will get me down after that amazing news that occurred yesterday about D-Gray Man continuing. I'm so happy that I'll enjoy the shows that Summer will provide.

Jex

I don't really feel like its 'nitpicking' to criticise a show's:

- Direction
- Animation
- Art Design
- Colour Design

These are all fairly fundamental aspects of the production. I'm hardly going out of my way to find fault here - these are all glaringly obvious things which a casual watch of the episode will reveal.

It really doesn't help that Manglobe look like they're on their last legs with this production which shares a number of (unfortunate, for this anime) similarities to their earlier show, Michiko e Hatchin. It just makes me feel sad to see how far they've fallen.

Arcadius

Banned

I go on this every day to hear her say uguu~. I love Kanon so much. So freaking much. Uguu~ Anime of the Forever. Well I love Kanon, but I looooove Ayu so much too.

Don't worry nothing will get me down after that amazing news that occurred yesterday about D-Gray Man continuing. I'm so happy that I'll enjoy the shows that Summer will provide.

That's good to know!

Aoi Hana - 07

God damn, diverse characters who each got an actually family, lots of progress without feeling too fast paced and proper handling of lesbian relationships that I seriously haven't seen like this in any capacity in another anime yet.

Shame I'll get only 11 episodes of this :(

Mandelbo

Princess Tutu 03

u1fXCOd.png

Yup, this episode is still unsettling as hell. Ebine's true feelings
aren't as sinister as we're led to believe, however, so it all works out in the end.
This episode is one of the ones I have most clear memories of, and it's almost entirely due to that face and the unnerving nature of the picturesque restaurant with no customers... it's all very intriguing!

Has Chaos Dragon aired today?

I don't really feel like its 'nitpicking' to criticise a show's:

- Direction
- Animation
- Colour Design

These are all fairly fundamental aspects of the production. I'm hardly going out of my way to find fault here - these are all glaringly obvious things which a casual watch of the episode will reveal.

It really doesn't help that Manglobe look like they're on their last legs with this production which shares a number of (unfortunate, for this anime) similarities to their earlier show, Michiko e Hatchin. It just makes me feel sad to see how far they've fallen.

Maybe I should of worded it properly but yeah I do understand the criticism. Well I can't really blame Manglobe because unfortunately most of their shows have been bombing really bad. I can't even remember their last successful show (I think it was Samurai Champloo). I guess this is what happens when you adapt really obscure anime because it really doesn't make any profit like other series these days. I'm really suprised on how the Studio has survived till now.

Anyways I'll just enjoy the show for what it is.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Aoi Hana - 07

God damn, diverse characters who each got an actually family, lots of progress without feeling too fast paced and proper handling of lesbian relationships that I seriously haven't seen like this in any capacity in another anime yet.

Come to think of it, this is an anime that got as close to an
anime original ending
that they possibly could have. It makes the series better.

Ascheroth

Gangsta. 1

I really dig the concept of a
deaf protagonist. The way they use sign language and his speech at the end were really great.
The protagonist duo seems fun and I'm interested in seeing how this is going to continue.

Jex

[Doomed Megalopolis] - 1

Doomed Megalopolis is a four part horror OVA from 1991 directed by Rintaro. I initially thought I'd write about all the episodes but, after completing the series, I realised this would be unnecessary because every single episode has basically the same plot.

I only decided to check this out because I had gotten onto the Rintaro train with Bride of Deimos and this horror series was something I'd been meaning to watch for awhile, but hadn't. I can't really recommend this series to recommend to anyone else because while it does have some outstanding visual direction and amazing animation, it's ultimately a dull affair. Out of all the episodes, the first has the best direction.

There are a number of notable techniques on display in this episode. Firstly, there's an abundance of 'balanced' frames where the contents of the image balance out each other leading to a symmetrical picture. Sometimes there's also literal mirror / reflection imagery. Most of the time this imagery suggests a literal balance or stability, which the antagonists are looking to upset:

Sometimes symmetry is achieved through editing, rather than simply framing:

Still on the subject of frame, this episode has a really noticeable tendency to place objects of importance directly at the centre of the frame. This technique is certainly used in normal film making as well, but fairly infrequently because it can make scenes look somewhat 'staged' or unnatural. However, the direction of this episode practically calls attention to the technique on several occasions so that you have no chance to miss what's important:

Speaking to both of the above techniques, the bad guy breaks apart a symmetrical (and central) image, demonstrating how they are upsetting the order of the world:

The repetition of imagery can also have very negative connotations, such as how this scene:

Mirrors this one:

Leaving those repeated techniques aside, there are a bunch of other interesting flourishes throughout. Unique framing, powerful colour design and unexpected imagery:

Backlog season a go!

Yuri Kuma Arashi - 5

This show works better than Ambien.

Not a fun show marathon that's for sure.

I think this is right about the part where the show becomes mildly interesting, but it never really did much for me. As I stated in my impressions what I enjoyed most about the show is when they were bears and the I liked the hats the girls wore. Not a whole lot beyond that.

Puruzi

Banned
Okusama 1

I thought this was going to have full episodes. They rushed through some of the manga scenes hella quickly because of how short the episodes are. Oh well.

At least they had the nipple sucking scene in. Didn't really expect the anime to just straight up show them though. So that was kinda awesome.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Aoi Hana - 07

It is based off a manga as I recall.

Jex

Aoi Hana - 07

Enjoy what you have because they're never going to make another show like that again! Especially with actual production values.

TUSR

Banned
Okusama 1

I thought this was going to have full episodes. They rushed through some of the manga scenes hella quickly because of how short the episodes are. Oh well.

At least they had the nipple sucking scene in. Didn't really expect the anime to just straight up show them though. So that was kinda awesome.
Your avatar needs help.

Okusama 1

your avatar is hurting me

Robotguy

Aoi Hana - 07

It's great yeah. Wish they could have animated the rest of the manga, but for the most part I'm really happy with what we got.

I go on this every day to hear her say uguu~. I love Kanon so much. So freaking much. Uguu~ Anime of the Forever. Well I love Kanon, but I looooove Ayu so much too.

Clannad is the Anime of the Forever, but Kanon is a good choice too. :p

Numbers.

Thanks for these, I'll add them after work.

Yeah, sorry. I really should've clicked the link instead of assuming. That's what I get. :p

And no problem. I am here to help. ;)

You win this one woof I hope you're happy.

Now go back and watch your shitty Agents of Shield.

I'm not even watching 'shitty' Agents of Shield THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I'm watching shitty True Detective S2 where nobody has a sense of humor and Vince Vaughn can't show emotion.

the fucking Rock football Entourage show that aired that same day entertained me more.

I'm also watching Hannibal which if anybody calls shitty they have no taste... for flesh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom