• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arcadius

Banned
Little Snow Fairy Sugar

Welcome to another magnificent anime by the cute masterminds of Broccoli.

Unlike Pita Ten that I watched, Snow Fairy Sugar has a cast that I would say is pretty much perfect for what Snow Fairy Sugar wanted to be about. It also has a story, even though it's simple, it works really well and may even bring out some feels. In the world of Snow Fairy Sugar, Fairies are the reason for seasons (weather too) occurring. The clouds, the wind, the warm sun, the snow, the rain... they're all handled by fairies.

Snow Fairy Sugar is about two girls, a human girl named Saga and the Snow Fairy, Sugar. They're the two main characters of the show and being the mains, there is a lot of focus on them. Saga is a perfectionist, heck she's more than that, she's a super perfectionist having her entire life scheduled out to the minute. Her schedule and plans are interrupted one day when she sees Sugar lying on a box, starving for food. The start of a beautiful friendship happens at this very moment.

Sugar, the Snow Fairy, is quite the hectic little girl. Being an apprentice, Sugar and her two friends are in search for "twinkles" that can only be found in the human world. Once "twinkles" are found, they'll become full-fledged fairies, how neat!

There are two main supports for each girl in Snow Fairy Sugar. Salt the sun fairy and Pepper the wind fairy who support Sugar and each other in the search for "twinkles". They're all very cute and have differing personalities, Pepper is refined, Salt is a little brash and Sugar is quite eccentric.

With Saga we have Norma and Anne, her best friends that help her when she's in trouble.

This .gif really encompasses how cute and adorable Little Snow Fairy Sugar can be (Sorry 'bout the quality)
3BUWGPg.gif

The art style used in Little Snow Fairy Sugar is really really cute. The colors are light and vibrant, but not pastel or eye popping, slightly subdued from that nature. The characters are drawn in a simple manner, never over drawing more detail than absolutely necessary. The backgrounds are beautiful water paint-like drawings. Animation involved is also simple, but everything is smooth and there doesn't seem to be any issues involved at all.

Sound.... This is one of the best things about Snow Fairy Sugar, the music involved.... all of the BGM is orchestral based. Beautiful and harmonious strings accompanied by a soft and touching piano. Saga's mothers song on the piano serves as the basis for most songs that you will hear. All the fairies songs are based on it and the song will appear often as BGM; this is pretty fantastic because the simple melody is really sweet and for 24 episodes, I never got tired listening to it.

Story.... Although the story is really simple, it's a very endearing and touching story about friendship and the creation of "twinkle". It won't take long for the viewers to figure out what a "twinkle" is in Snow Fairy Sugar, but don't let that deter you from watching. The way that Saga and Sugar's friendship is tested and trailed upon ever corner due to small problems is really great; I'd go as far as saying there are certain arcs that occur that could be realistic in how it's handled.

Bringing up arcs, the most interesting and unique thing about Snow Fairy Sugar that I've seen is the multiple small arcs and over arcing story that is told. It's the first Broccoli anime I've seen that cared to create something memorable in this regard.

Another unique aspect to Snow Fairy Sugar is the locale; it's not in Japan or anything, but in a small rural town based on Germany. The signs are Germanic, the clothing gives off an old German feeling, the streets and buildings seem very European and German. Big props for having a new and interesting place for an anime to be located in.

The ED and OP of Snow Fairy Sugar is pretty incredible too. Sugar Baby Looooooove (said like that), is the start of the OP, bright, bubbly and most astoundingly cute, it could overwhelm the members of AnimeGAF. The ED is really peaceful and much more sincere, using the piano, some light vocals and a super cute vocalist to end the episode, it's incredibly peaceful.

Comparing Pita Ten to Snow Fairy Sugar, I'd have to say if you're interested in one of these two shows, watch Little Snow Fairy Sugar first. It's comedic, it's sincere, it's well put together and doesn't have any annoying aspects at all. It's a fantastic anime.

:D

Yay! Also I am really happy I have a three day weekend to make good on my watch bets and other obligations. ^_^

That's great! Enjoy the weekend Ninja!

My Wife is the Student Council President!

Episode 1 - So nipples get sucked on, that's what matters here. Cute face and all, this will be fun.

Ninja Slayer 12

This show is something else. The first scene is a lobster dude choking out some other guy and random cuts to Nancy tied up in rope bondage style and yelling. ????????

Ninja Slayer kills Lobster because Ninjas will perish. Except Lobster is a Lobster. Lobster doesn't think to bring up this fact, though.

Darkninja-san slowly walks onto a boat and then after 10 seconds it blows up. Then he walks back out. Amazing.

Some scientist we've never seen makes another Lobster and the same scene basically happens.

I don't know what this show is.

I'd say Slaine had a good life compared to Guts.

Snake has suffered a lot but is it really even close to Guts suffering.
I mean the guy saw his best friend rape Caska while being surrounded by demons. His birth wasn't the greatest thing ever as well.

Big Boss is an eternal failure and literally everyone he ever cared about died, most of the time it was either his fault or he killed them. All of his political theories were failures and he got the shit beaten out of him by his son who he didn't know existed.

Ninja Slayer 12

This show is something else. The first scene is a lobster dude choking out some other guy and random cuts to Nancy tied up in rope bondage style and yelling. ????????

Ninja Slayer kills Lobster because Ninjas will perish. Except Lobster is a Lobster. Lobster doesn't think to bring up this fact, though.

Darkninja-san slowly walks onto a boat and then after 10 seconds it blows up. Then he walks back out. Amazing.

Some scientist we've never seen makes another Lobster and the same scene basically happens.

I don't know what this show is.

This show is NGAAHH!

It's pretty fun though, it definitely doesn't deserve the hate that it's been getting. Ninja Slayer just has a very wierd sense of humour but it really delivers if you're into that kind of stuff.

All the ED's are also pretty tight.

Baalzebup

I've been wondering this but has there ever been a character that has suffered more than Guts from Berserk? I'm trying think of any anime but I really can't think of any, even manga as well.

Any suggestions or is it out of question?

I'd argue that the alien race from Soukou no Strain had it worse collectively. The MC didn't exactly lead a happy life either, but she didn't quite make it to Guts' league.

Ah, Sakura Matou of FSN. Ever since getting her new surname, her life hasn't exactly been a very happy one. I'm not exactly sure if one can REALLY say who has it worse, her or Guts.

cajunator

Banned
So, I guess LWA 2 backers will get there digital reward tomorrow night. They did say that the digital version would premiere alongside the screening, which is tomorrow night (9 pmish).

Haha, I see that the LWA 2 premieres at the same time as the dub premiere for Sailor Moon Crystal. Fans won't know where/what to do.

Eeeeeeeeee!!!

kwyJZ5Bl.png

This is the best voice cast in anime.

Actually...yes. yes it really is.
All the english dub cuties are there!
Like a who's who of dub voice actresses in anime.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I've been wondering this but has there ever been a character that has suffered more than Guts from Berserk? I'm trying think of any anime but I really can't think of any, even manga as well.

Any suggestions or is it out of question?

Mainstream manga/anime, or does hentai count? If it's hentai, it's very easy to mention a few...
anyway Rin from daughter of msymone have suffer more damage than guts, and her being immortal mean she lost quite few of her friend during her lifetime...
oh yeah, Sakura from fate have shitty life since childhood

Also, if you want to watch two guys on their path in the criminal underworld, instead of Gangsta watch Gungrave.

First half is decent when it's a mafia anime, from rags to riches and all. In fact it's the closest I'll ever get to the Godfather/Sopranos of anime.

Then it goes full anime. That's the problem with anime. We can't have a grounded story without somebody having to introduce fucking creatures and zombies and ridiculous costume designs. Or 1000 year old loli dragons

Just swap out the setting and it's basically the Golden Age arc.

I mean thinking about it there are a lot of similarities outside of the ending to the golden age arc.

Aoi Hana - 11 [Final]

One of the best anime romances I've seen with just all around good writing, pretty visuals and solid direction. Every somewhat important character is multifaceted, all of them are sympathetic to some degree and the struggles these people have to face are simply there because life isn't simply, neither is love. A grounded show like this needs too feel natural and really does feel super natural! ... No wait, it's very, very natural!

Unfortunately this show does end kinda in the middle of nowhere, even though there's closure in certain regards. Hence these two quotes from a bit ago.

Come to think of it, this is an anime that got as close to an
anime original ending
that they possibly could have. It makes the series better.

It is based off a manga as I recall.

I really would've liked to follow this story further :/

Time to read the manga then I guess? Have to do the same for KareKano too still. Can't say I'm an avid manga reader but for those two I'll gladly do it.

Oh and overall, great show, 8/10. Could've been a potential 9/10 if it kept going at this quality.

Also, nice to see it ranked #2037 on MAL because fuck no, wouldn't wanna produce quality shows when you can have Key shit writing, harems and whatnot.

Rampo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 1 Human Chair, Part 1
Tohya's va for Hashiba, the StuCo president is a great voice and character. Though Kobayashi seems to just be focused on "the game", Hashiba at least has all those lovely emotions a lead would have getting angry, being happy, being agitated. I like this more than Kobayashi though who seems a bit bordering crazy due to how he is.

Anyway, favorite parts were the scenes when Akechi or Kobayashi went over the evidences in those scenes that looked like the stage of a play or something.

Great start to a great mystery.

Also SimCity ftw.
CI7kwJLWgAEV0Fk.png

javac

*Added Yatterman and Ninja Slayer and added for the new page.
BD sales data:
19,371 血界戦線 (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
11,478 やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。続 (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!)
*8,598 SHOW BY ROCK!! (Show By Rock!!)
*7,649 響け!ユーフォニアム (Hibike! Euphonium)
*5,957 ハロー!!きんいろモザイク (Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic)
*5,784 終わりのセラフ (Seraph of the End)
*5,588 シドニアの騎士 第九惑星戦役 (Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine)
*5,334 ふなっしーのふなふなふな日和 (Funassyi no Funafunafuna Biyori)
*5,275 ニセコイ: (Nisekoi 2nd Season)
*5,135 ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうか (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
*2,853 てさぐれ!部活もの すぴんおふ プルプルんシャルムと遊ぼう (Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou)
*2,155 長門有希ちゃんの消失 (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan)
*2,142 Gunslinger Stratos THE ANIMATION
*2,113 プラスティック・メモリーズ (Plastic Memories)
*1,756 放課後のプレアデス (Houkago no Pleiades)
*1,667 ニンジャスレイヤー フロムアニメイシヨン (Ninja Slayer From Animation)
*1,377 トリアージX (Triage X)
*1,015 夜ノヤッターマン (Yoru no Yatterman)
**,840 レーカン! (Re-Kan!)
**,554 俺物語!! (Ore Monogatari!!)
**,505 ミカグラ学園組曲 (Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku)
**,494 えとたま (Etotama)
**,453 旦那が何を言っているかわからない件 2スレ目 (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread)

Also a breakdown of Dogakobo Studios Sales from a poster on 2ch.
(2007) **, *** Myself; Yourself
(2008) * 1,746 Ryōko Yakushiji's Strange Case Files (Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo)
(2008) * 4,295 Koihime†Musō
(2009) * 3,058 Shin Koihime†Musō
(2009) **, 255 11eyes
(2010) * 2,375 Shin Koihime†Musō: Otome Tairan
(2011) * 1,278 Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
(2011) * 8,365 YuruYuri
(2012) * 7,289 YuruYuri♪♪
(2012) **, 302 Natsuyuki Rendezvous
(2013) * 3,275 GJ-bu
(2013) **, 339 Mangirl!
(2013) * 3,650 Majestic Prince
(2013) * 3,205 Love Lab
(2013) * 1,140 Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist
(2013) * 1,043 Lovely Movie: Lovely Muuuuuuuco!
(2014) * 6,225 Engaged to the Unidentified (Mikakunin de Shinkoukei)
(2014) 10,322 Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun)
(2014) * 2,797 Laughing Under the Clouds (Donten ni Warau)
(2015) * 2,113 Plastic Memories
(2015) **, 505 Mikagura School Suite

Exalted

Gangsta 1 It was somewhat different than I thought it would be, so i',m kinda disapointed. Artstyle fells somewhat bland, and i just can't get over how stupid that sword vs guns fight was. He was just standing there in the street and no one fired a shot at him. They had plenty of opportunities to shoot him quite easily.

Arcadius

Banned
BD sales data:

Wooooow, Yuri Yuri did incredibly well back in the day, that's amazing, fantastic show! Love Lab should have done better... =(

phaze

BD sales data:

Yoru no Yatterman selling worse than Ninja Slayer is like the ultimate insult.

Love Lab got robbed too.

Robotguy

Aoi Hana - 11 [Final]

One of the best anime romances I've seen with just all around good writing, pretty visuals and solid direction. Every somewhat important character is multifaceted, all of them are sympathetic to some degree and the struggles these people have to face are simply there because life isn't simply, neither is love. A grounded show like this needs too feel natural and really does feel super natural! ... No wait, it's very, very natural!

Unfortunately this show does end kinda in the middle of nowhere, even though there's closure in certain regards. Hence these two quotes from a bit ago.

I really would've liked to follow this story further :/

Time to read the manga then I guess? Have to do the same for KareKano too still. Can't say I'm an avid manga reader but for those two I'll gladly do it.

Oh and overall, great show, 8/10. Could've been a potential 9/10 if it kept going at this quality.

Also, nice to see it ranked #2037 on MAL because fuck no, wouldn't wanna produce quality shows when you can have Key shit writing, harems and whatnot.
Glad you enjoyed it. Wish there were more anime's like this. Do wish it had another season to finish the story. Not the worst ending, but I didn't find it all that satisfying. One of the few times when I actually did read the manga after the anime ended.

I wanna rewatch/ read this now.

Mandelbo

(2007) **, *** Myself; Yourself
(2008) * 1,746 Ryōko Yakushiji's Strange Case Files (Yakushiji Ryōko no Kaiki Jikenbo)
(2008) * 4,295 Koihime†Musō
(2009) * 3,058 Shin Koihime†Musō
(2009) **, 255 11eyes
(2010) * 2,375 Shin Koihime†Musō: Otome Tairan
(2011) * 1,278 Hoshizora e Kakaru Hashi
(2011) * 8,365 YuruYuri
(2012) * 7,289 YuruYuri♪♪
(2012) **, 302 Natsuyuki Rendezvous
(2013) * 3,275 GJ-bu
(2013) **, 339 Mangirl!
(2013) * 3,650 Majestic Prince
(2013) * 3,205 Love Lab
(2013) * 1,140 Makai Ōji: Devils and Realist
(2013) * 1,043 Lovely Movie: Lovely Muuuuuuuco!
(2014) * 6,225 Engaged to the Unidentified (Mikakunin de Shinkoukei)
(2014) 10,322 Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (Gekkan Shōjo Nozaki-kun)
(2014) * 2,797 Laughing Under the Clouds (Donten ni Warau)
(2015) * 2,113 Plastic Memories
(2015) **, 505 Mikagura School Suite

Glad to see that Nozaki-kun sold so well... not so glad that Love Lab didn't do nearly as well as it should have done. 11eyes being the worst selling of them all doesn't exactly surprise me since it's, well, 11eyes.

OceanBlue

Yeah please inform me if it's good. I would gladly appreciate it considering its one of my highly anticipated anime.
Yeah I'm looking forward to it too. It's been a while, but I've read the first LN translation so hopefully I can give a good estimate on how quickly they'll get through volume 1.

cajunator

Banned
Glad to see that Nozaki-kun sold so well... not so glad that Love Lab didn't do nearly as well as it should have done. 11eyes being the worst selling of them all doesn't exactly surprise me since it's, well, 11eyes.

If makes me wonder why some shows come out very quickly on bluray and some can take years if ever. Sales dont seem to factor in much.

Gangsta 1 It was somewhat different than I thought it would be, so i',m kinda disapointed. Artstyle fells somewhat bland, and i just can't get over how stupid that sword vs guns fight was. He was just standing there in the street and no one fired a shot at him. They had plenty of opportunities to shoot him quite easily.

But stupid american bullets can't hope to beat glorious nippon steel

I find it bizarre Kekkai Sensen ended up outselling Yahari and Euphonium by a large margin in BD sales. I mean Yahari and Euphonium were predicted to sell more than Kekkai because they are the type of shows that usually sell well. But the opposite occurred and Kekkai ended up selling about 20K.

Seriously what happened?

I find it bizarre Kekkai Sensen ended up outselling Yahari and Euphonium by a large margin in BD sales. I mean Yahari and Euphonium were predicted to sell more than Kekkai because they are the type of shows that usually sell well. But the opposite occurred and Kekkai ended up selling about 20K.

Seriously what happened?

attractive character designs.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace Episode 1:

I am actually not sure what to make of this show yet, I wasn't expecting things to get that dark though. I shall watch more though.

duckroll

Seriously what happened?

Is Euphonium really the type of show that usually sells well though? People thought the same thing about Tamako Market after the success of K-On. KyoAni just hasn't managed to recapture that sort of success.

Meanwhile, Free was a runaway success for KyoAni, and it has a bunch of hot guys. BBB seems to have a bunch of female fans who also dig the male characters. I'm sure that's a factor.

(I'm not saying that I would have predicted BBB being as successful as it is, but that's a possible angle as to why it sold well.)

Mandelbo

Seriously what happened?

Kekkai Sensen's popularity caught me off guard as well, especially since the show more or less passed me by last season. I was just minding my own business and then all of a sudden I turn around and it's at the top of the charts!

First half is decent when it's a mafia anime, from rags to riches and all. In fact it's the closest I'll ever get to the Godfather/Sopranos of anime.

Then it goes full anime. That's the problem with anime. We can't have a grounded story without somebody having to introduce fucking creatures and zombies and ridiculous costume designs. Or 1000 year old loli dragons

Was it really half of the anime? I remember the first episode being basically unrelated to the origin story itself which is most the the anime, and then in end part (the last two or three episodes) it comes back to the present continuing that first (bad) episode.

But I watched it many years ago so maybe I misremembering the bad part and remembering more strongly the good part. Maybe it was because the separation in time and style between both parts makes it easy to ignore one and just like the other.

The friend who showed me the series explained it to me what it's based in a video game, that's divided so strangely in the mafia story and the "full animu" part, which the latter part being faithful to the video game and the rest is basically invented by the writers.

Ascheroth

Is Blood blockade battlefront really a good show?

Yes, one of my favourite shows last season along with Soma, Gintama and Yahari.
But it's certainly not for everyone, especially if you are looking for a deep story.
Personally I categorize it as highly entertaining chaos :p It's basically hijinks of fun characters in a crazy setting, interesting direction, amazing soundtrack and stylish action with a bit of an overarching plot here and there.

javac

Winter 2015 (first volume sales)

Code:
40,874 The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls
34,163 Tsukimonogatari
23,997 Kantai Collection
22,829 Kuroko’s Basketball 3rd Season
12,901 Saekano: How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend
11,166 JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders - Egypt Arc
10,464 Fafner in the Azure: Exodus

<10k line>

*8,683 Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE!
*7,990 Aldnoah.Zero 2nd Season
*7,228 Durarara!!×2 Shou
*7,013 Dog Days’’
*6,401 The Testament of Sister New Devil
*4,746 Q Transformers: The Mystery of Convoy
*4,731 Assassination Classroom
*3,304 Tokyo Ghoul &#8730;A

<3k line>

*2,022 Gourmet Girl Graffiti
*1,757 Shounen Hollywood - Holly Stage for 50
*1,576 Absolute Duo
*1,493 Seiken Tsukai no World Break
*1,365 Kamisama Kiss 2nd Season
*1,314 Yurikuma Arashi
*1,231 Unlimited Fafnir
*1,209 The Rolling Girls
*1,084 Isuca
*1,015 Yatterman Night

<1k line>

**,982 Tantei Kageki Milky Holmes TD
**,923 Death Parade
**,648 Samurai Warriors
**,620 Maria the Virgin Witch
**,553 Military!
**,472 Ketsuekigata-kun! 2
**,333 Comical Psychosomatic Medicine
**,146 Doamaiger D

While I'm here,
Top Selling Blu-rays (Oricon All Time)
Code:
2,395,556 [B]Frozen[/B] (7/16/2014)
464,375 [B]EVANGELION:2.22 YOU CAN (NOT) ADVANCE.[/B] (5/26/2010)
400,952 [B]EVANGELION:3.33 YOU CAN (NOT) REDO.[/B] (4/24/2013)
274,579 [B]Big Hero 6[/B] (4/24/2015)
208,044 [B]Cars 2 DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (12/2/2011)
203,398 [B]Monsters University[/B] (11/20/2013)
181,935 [B]Toy Story 3 DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (11/3/2010)
181,935 [B]EVANGELION:1.11[/B] (5/27/2009)
160,762 [B]Tangled DVD + Blu-ray set[/B] (7/20/2011)
154,042 [B]Puella Magi Madoka Magica the Movie: Rebellion Limited Edition Blu-Ray[/B] (4/2/2014)

Top Selling DVDs (Oricon All time)
Code:
2,401,992 [B]Spirited Away[/B] (7/19/2002)
1,608,743 [B]Finding Nemo[/B] (6/18/2004)
1,250,737 [B]My Neighbor Totoro[/B] (9/28/2001)
1,223,370 [B]Howl's Moving Castle[/B] (11/16/2005)
912,860 [B]Ponyo[/B] (7/3/2009)
779,137 [B]Castle in the Sky[/B] (10/4/2002)
757,428 [B]The Incredibles[/B] (6/15/2005)
667,504 [B]Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind[/B] (11/19/2003)
571,467 [B]Monsters, Inc. Special Edition[/B] (9/20/2002)
536,691 [B]Kiki's Delivery Service[/B] (6/8/2001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom