• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saudades

I don't really feel like its 'nitpicking' to criticise a show's:

- Direction
- Animation
- Art Design
- Colour Design

These are all fairly fundamental aspects of the production. I'm hardly going out of my way to find fault here - these are all glaringly obvious things which a casual watch of the episode will reveal.
I agree. Not pointing fingers at anyone here, but from what I've seen recently (from reactions to Mad Max Fury Road for instance) people seem to put too much weight on plot and tend to ignore those crucial aspects of a production. Of course plot is vital to a film but in a visual medium like this it is nice and thoughtful to see how these aspects are designed to enhance the story and the viewers' experience.

I also want to say that I've always enjoy reading your anime analyses Jexhius, as well as many other posters' here. The stuff about direction, cinematography and other technical aspects are always interesting and educational to me.

I agree. Not pointing fingers at anyone here, but from what I've seen recently (from reactions to Mad Max Fury Road for instance) people seem to put too much weight on plot and tend to ignore those crucial aspects of a production. Of course plot is vital to a film but in a visual medium like this it is nice and thoughtful to see how these aspects are designed to enhance the story and the viewers' experience.

I also want to say that I've always enjoy reading your anime analyses Jexhius, as well as many other posters' here. The stuff about direction, cinematography and other technical aspects are always interesting and educational to me.

There are very insightful comments of 'oh my god yuri hngggggggggg' to name a few, so stick around ;)

I'm not even watching 'shitty' Agents of Shield THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I'm watching shitty True Detective S2 where nobody has a sense of humor and Vince Vaughn can't show emotion.

the fucking Rock football Entourage show that aired that same day entertained me more.

I'm also watching Hannibal which if anybody calls shitty they have no taste... for flesh

I've heard that Hannibal was good though I haven't seen it yet, but is it really that good?

I've heard that Hannibal was good though I haven't seen it, but is it really that good?

Does the non-religious bear shit in the christian woods and go to reddit's atheism board to brag about it?

Yes it's that good. Mads Mikkelsen is fucking AMAZING. The creator is Bryan Fuller whose previous work was the fantastic Pushing Daisies. And it gets really grotesque at points. God damn I love that show. S3 has been more artful than the other two, and it's still amazing.

I have no doubt in my mind that Netflix or Amazon will snatch up the show since NBC didn't renew it for a fourth season.

Pundere

Guess I'll give this a shot:

Gatchaman Crowds 1-2
Oh my god Hajime is my favorite anime protagonist in years. She's adorable while still being competent and doesn't force the story to a grinding halt every time something new has to be explained.

Oremonogatari 1-2
Also quite good so far. I'm enjoying this running gag of every female on the planet acknowledging how hot Suna is.

Does the non-religious bear shit in the christian woods and go to reddit's atheism board to brag about it?

What is this analogy lol

Guess I'll give this a shot:

Gatchaman Crowds 1-2
Oh my god Hajime is my favorite anime protagonist in years. She's adorable while still being competent and doesn't force the story to a grinding halt every time something new has to be explained.

Should I watch this before the new season starts?

Gangsta 01

Mediocre. Very.

I'll let Jexhius do the visual analysis, I will just say that the script and characterization were pretty bad. Zero effort in it.

For curiosity I checked the manga, the adaptation is pretty faithful. Not that it's something good in this case.
I did read a few more chapters and well... (spoilers of what's to come?) this is just another
garbage 'adult' shonen, including fighting other "special" people which are conveniently ranked in power, lol. Said "special" people are, in words of eyepatch-guy, "awesome" with their great battle skills but at the same time they are ostracised by lots of people and they are a dying stock, in fact they are referred as Twilight. Oh woe is me.
Pure schlock.

Gangsta 01

Mediocre. Very.

I'll let Jexhius do the visual analysis, I will just say that the script and characterization were pretty bad. Zero effort in it.

For curiosity I checked the manga, the adaptation is pretty faithful. Not that it's something good in this case.
I did read a few more chapters and well... (spoilers of what's to come?) this is just another
garbage 'adult' shonen, including fighting other "special" people which are conveniently ranked in power, lol. Said "special" people are, in words of eyepatch-guy, "awesome" with their great battle skills but at the same time they are ostracised by lots of people and they are a dying stock, in fact they are referred as Twilight. Or woe is me.
Pure schlock.

Somebody else with my same opinion of 'shonen action with an extra sprinkling of EDGY"

my man

Tenumi

Banned
Gangsta: 01

Yeah... no. Sure, it seems kinda interesting potentially world-wise, but there just isn't enough to keep me watching. Also is kind of a turn-off as well, so that doesn't help.

Jex

I have no doubt in my mind that Netflix or Amazon will snatch up the show since NBC didn't renew it for a fourth season.

I don't want to be bearer of bad news but, er check out the threads. Netflix can't pick it up because it's on Amazon. Amazon don't seem to want it. The contracts for the cast have now expired so they're off to do other things.

It's dead.

I've been wondering this but has there ever been a character that has suffered more than Guts from Berserk? I'm trying think of any anime but I really can't think of any, even manga as well.

Any suggestions or is it out of question?

Jex

Should I watch this before the new season starts?

Yes, just remember to watch the 'true' ending which is only present on the home media release.
Gangsta: 01

Yeah... no. Sure, it seems kinda interesting potentially world-wise, but there just isn't enough to keep me watching. Also is kind of a turn-off as well, so that doesn't help.

Now, this is more like actual nitpicking, but what about the world looked potentially interesting? It can't be the bland visuals. Is it the characters? All the crime cliches? I couldn't see anything.

Tenumi

Banned
Yes, just remember to watch the 'true' ending which is only present on the home media release.

Now, this is more like actual nitpicking, but what about the world looked potentially interesting? It can't be the bland visuals. Is it the characters? All the crime cliches? I couldn't see anything.

I guess... well, I'm not sure. Nothing in particular to be honest.

I've been wondering this but has there ever been a character that has suffered more than Guts from Berserk? I'm trying think of any anime but I really can't think of any, even manga as well.

Those guys in that skeleton vortex that comes around in the first volumes of the manga aren't exactly the most happiest bunch of guys. Lots of people in Berserk have it pretty bad.

Edit: Any fan of Berserk is suffering the most.

Madoka Magica Spoiler:
What about Homura or something, seeing your friends die over and over again doesn't seem like fun to me.

Is that Gatchaman Embrace? Do you think that it's important to watch before season 2?

javac

BD sales data:
19,371 血界戦線 (Blood Blockade Battlefront)
11,478 やはり俺の青春ラブコメはまちがっている。続 (My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU TOO!)
*8,598 SHOW BY ROCK!! (Show By Rock!!)
*7,649 響け!ユーフォニアム (Hibike! Euphonium)
*5,957 ハロー!!きんいろモザイク (Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic)
*5,784 終わりのセラフ (Seraph of the End)
*5,588 シドニアの騎士 第九惑星戦役 (Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine)
*5,334 ふなっしーのふなふなふな日和 (Funassyi no Funafunafuna Biyori)
*5,275 ニセコイ: (Nisekoi 2nd Season)
*5,135 ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうか (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
*2,853 てさぐれ!部活もの すぴんおふ プルプルんシャルムと遊ぼう (Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou)
*2,155 長門有希ちゃんの消失 (The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan)
*2,142 Gunslinger Stratos THE ANIMATION
*2,113 プラスティック・メモリーズ (Plastic Memories)
*1,756 放課後のプレアデス (Houkago no Pleiades)
*1,377 トリアージX (Triage X)
**,840 レーカン! (Re-Kan!)
**,554 俺物語!! (Ore Monogatari!!)
**,505 ミカグラ学園組曲 (Mikagura Gakuen Kumikyoku)
**,494 えとたま (Etotama)
**,453 旦那が何を言っているかわからない件 2スレ目 (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread)

Defuser

Any suggestions or is it out of question?

mkpEtW6.jpg

Arcadius

Banned
BD sales data:
*5,135 ダンジョンに出会いを求めるのは間違っているだろうか (Is It Wrong to Try to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon?)
*2,853 てさぐれ!部活もの すぴんおふ プルプルんシャルムと遊ぼう (Tesagure! Bukatsu-mono Spin-off Purupurun Sharumu to Asobou)
*1,377 トリアージX (Triage X)
**,840 レーカン! (Re-Kan!)
**,494 えとたま (Etotama)
**,453 旦那が何を言っているかわからない件 2スレ目 (I Can't Understand What My Husband Is Saying: 2nd Thread)

Wow, good job Show By Rock. Unfortunate for Etotama and Plastic Memories. Kiniro also did well, good to see.

Cornbread78

Darkness is way less tame then TLR. Like, way less tame. Like the difference between a 14 year old tabby housecat and a tiger fed nothing but meat laced with cocaine. Even for me I wonder if it's going too far sometimes.

Well, I guess I have a lot to look forward to then. Does it stay fun to watch with no plot?

Are you watching the right thing? Rito's harem is everyone in the galaxy.

I'm only at ep.18 so I have a lot if catching up to do. So far, the harem is small but fun so we'll see where it goes..

Let's just remember happier times at Manglobe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQf-NkWz7Yo

The sad part is I don't think we won't see anymore good productions from them because the Studio is almost dead. Samurai Flamenco bombed really bad and they haven't had any financially good successes in a long long long time.

BD sales data:
*1,377 トリアージX (Triage X)
**,840 レーカン! (Re-Kan!)
**,494 えとたま (Etotama)

I feel that second season for Kekkai Sensen coming. This is Bones second best selling series and its about to hit 20K. I really hope the finale turns out great.

Tenumi

Banned
My Wife is the Student Council President!: 01

Another short show, but it certainly got through what it needed to in the time it had. Sure wasn't expecting the lewdness to be the level it was at, though. I mean, well, breast sucking... Not complaining, though.

I'll definitely give this some time, see if it remains entertaining.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well, I guess I have a lot to look forward to then. Does it stay fun to watch with no plot?

I'm only at ep.18 so I have a lot if catching up to do. So far, the harem is small but fun so we'll see where it goes..

I don't remember shit about original TLR, but even then he had a humongous harem.

Jex

I remember you voicing a severe dislike of Ergo Proxy so it's not like those times were consistently happy either !

I might criticise Ergo Proxy for being a complete narrative mess, but both in terms of the visuals and the direction, I would consider it a good looking show.

Himegoto 13 End They were going to fondle him, fully knowing he is a boy. Esto no bueno.
k5IYTDxm.png

Wasn't a fan of this one at all. Between the student council being utter assholes to the main guy and the transphobic nature of a lot of the jokes, I was wondering why I even considered giving this a chance.

Tenumi

Banned
Maybe it'll start to explode soon. As of right now, there are two throwing themselves at him and the Haruno, whom is his real love interest... Lala was an "accident" lol.

At the point you're at, it would be Haruna and Lala, though I think I'd probably include Yui as well
and Mikan

Tuck

BD sales data:
*1,377 トリアージX (Triage X)
**,840 レーカン! (Re-Kan!)
**,494 えとたま (Etotama)

No arslan?

Cornbread78

At the point you're at, it would be Haruna and Lala, though I think I'd probably include Yui as well
and Mikan

Yeah, that's about right, I'm enjoying the comedy and Haruna awkward moments more than anything right now, lol. That sports day was hilarious, lol. Still don't know how to clasify Ren though, lol...

But Gungrave is a just a remake of Bersek in a different setting.

Looking it from that perspective, it's true it lacks originality, but successfully imitating the best Berserk Arc already puts it above most other animes!

I wonder if there are more films or comics with a similar plot structure. They have to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom