• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Prison School 2
Yours truly was impressed with this...episode!
Pacing was still fast, but at least it was better than the first...episode!
Also, Hana best...girl!

chairmanthumbsupu3uqv.png

I don't know what the chief writer of Shin Mazinger Z was smoking when writing this sublime piece of art but I want some.

Fairy Tail Series 2 Episode 67 – Tartaros Arc: Let Live or Kill

The way the ed song cuts in is the best part of the new ed song, however I dont think I like the whole song.

Intense arc. We need to hurry and get to the Silver and Gray stuff though.

This is really the bitter pill for me; I'm very poor at separating the logic of "a new anime season won't really help grow this LN anymore" from the wishes of "but why not make a Hataraku Maou-sama (or whatever) S2 when it sold comparatively well and got a good reception?" On the other hand, part of the problem there somewhat stems from the fact that a domestic viewer who just wants to see how the story continues can just pick up the source material easily and go from there, whereas even if an overseas fan just wanted that, they're often screwed. But I guess increased manga and LN licensing does seem to be gradually mitigating that? At least for the most popular series. Though you run the risk of a poor translation (I don't know how Yen keeps pumping out stuff at a regular pace and keeps adding more superlong series) and it doesn't beat seeing it brought to life in animation, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I've also got a whole other set of depression reserved for the North American anime industry, but that's another topic entirely.

Man, I'm rambling quite a bit, aren't it.
I give a lot of props to many in the NA manga industry for coming back after the huge bubble popped in the late 2000s. We're in a steadily growing manga climate and publishers are acting wisely. Focusing on cross-promotion with anime titles to cover non-animated content is a very intelligent decision and they've started to do well with that. If there were better connections between the manga/anime industry, some nice things could occur (like joint-releasing manga-only OVAs easier). I'm not as worried with Yen's translations as most translators are freelance and so they can hire more. Sometimes it doesn't work out as nicely (I've heard about the NGNL, but I can't say anything personally), but most of the time it's fantastic.

Committee:
NBC Universal (video/music publisher/distributor)
Hobunsha (print publisher)
Showgate (rental discs/international rights)
Nitroplus (digital software)
Studio Hibari (animation production - owners of Lerche)
Sotsu (advertising)
AT-X (primary broadcaster)
Medicos Entertainment (merchandise)
Passione (animation contractor)

Definitely good for one, but let's see if others see benefits as well.

Jex

Folks seemed to be wary of this show when it first aired, but as the weeks went by I am starting to see more and more positive comments like this. I totally agree, This last episode totally sold me to the whole thing. Now they just gotta keep the momentum going. I like how Alex acts as a personification of us the viewer in that world, trying to explore more of everything around her, asking the same questions that we are wondering about in our heads as we watch. Plus the OP is great.

This isn't really a commentary on Gangsta, or any show in particular, but there's generally a reason why the tone of commentary for anything usually shifts over time. Namely, if people don't like something when it first airs they stop watching, leaving only the people behind who actually enjoy viewing the programme.

Of course, there are some exceptions to that such as when people 'hate watch' something, but that only seems to occur with the most popular and noteworthy titles (e.g. SAO).

Aoharu x Machinegun Episode 3 – It'll Become Your Greatest Partner
CKMhbNAUEAEx7Ew.png

Everyone but Hotaru is good in this anime. The pairs on each team are all perfect and ones I would support alot.

Kind of wanted some gun action this episode.

Sailor Moon Crystal 26 End

Wow its finally over. Pretty awful anime. Jadeite was the only reason to watch, while Tuxedo mask seemed enslaved to Usako ruining it since it seemed he was purposely made to be weak.

Hopefully a Magical boys sequel will come so I can wash this anime away.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sailor Moon Crystal 26 End

Wow its finally over. Pretty awful anime. Jadeite was the only reason to watch, while Tuxedo mask seemed enslaved to Usako ruining it since it seemed he was purposely made to be weak.

Hopefully a Magical boys sequel will come so I can wash this anime away.

I have some bad news and some worse news for on that end.

fertygo

Gangsta - 01

Worth to watch if only to hear Junichi Suwabe voice..

Man.. I love Suwabe and Koyama Rikiya's job for this season.

Hellraider

Sailor Moon Crystal - 26

I can't believe I managed to finish this. What a waste of a freaking year. Boring art, boring animation, boring music, boring characters, boring plot development. Everything was so boring I don't even feel like using another adjective.

Mandelbo

Kitakubu -END-

Eh, it was alright. The comedy was very hit or miss for me because the sections that were brilliant (of which I can't actually think of any examples, but they were there!) were balanced out by the sections that fell completely flat. The seal that kept showing up did nothing for me and usually felt like it was trying too hard to be funny and endearing. The puns probably work better if you have a better understanding of japanese, but unfortunately I don't, so they didn't. My other annoyance with the show was its tendency to try and do heartwarming "friendship is great!" moments which were often played completely straight and felt utterly out of place, ending up being corny and, again, a little forced. After all, for the majority of the time the relationships between the characters are played for laughs, and the characters themselves were fairly one note - which is fine, because that's the kind of show it is, but that just made the moments where the show drew attention to their friendship stand out even more as being weird.

Overall it was fairly middling. It was decently entertaining some of the time, but it wasn't really anything special imo.

Death Note 2
CKKAqnpUcAE99bT.jpg

Will we get L changing shirts scenes every episode, need.

Ryuk dancing to Misa Misa was the funniest moment and then the time when he rolled off the building and fell, or the time eating the other students apple, or making Light scream shut up in the middle of the lecture. lol good comedy.

Seemed like lots more changes especially with Raye Penber, liked it though how will they bring it back to canon?

Conan-san

Sailor Moon Crystal.

What can be said? Toei have shown themselves up to be woefully lacking. I genuinely hope that this is the last we'll see of Sailor Moon animated as long as Toei are involved.

I hope Naoko sues them into the ground.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If there's anything even remotely close to a loving god, maybe.
I'm surprised they aren't dragging this thing through the entire run of the manga, unless they covered all of it?
I stopped basically after Mercury showed up, so I don't even know why it's bad. lol

---

Denpa Kyoushi 15
So this is what Japanese Cline-ism is like:
JcZbROml.png

T67k1HGl.png

Also somehow you play FPSes at an arcade like you would a fighting game... with one stick...
GCrDvFSl.png

JCYAoQsl.png

Anyway, I called this GTO but with an otaku premise, but now it's just GTO with a harem. I don't know how I feel about this, since I probably would be better off just watching the original GTO at this point, and sunk costs and all that, but what am I going to do? Stop watching it? lol

They basically are running through the gamut of nerd professions that his harem can be involved with though. He's got a meido, mangaka, seiyuu, and now game designer. I guess he's missing an idol, but I have no idea what they could come up with after that. Maybe it'll go back to its GTO premise and there will be some more male characters. (Yeah right lol)

Everyone's favourite anime aka Tokyo Ghoul will get a second OVA. Focused on this guy's past seemingly.

Even I didn't ask for this.

What they're making a second OVA? They should of adapted the novel that told a bit about Uta's past with his Human tomboy friend. Oh well I think they're trying to cash in some money with Tsukiyama.

I have a terrible feeling that this is gonna lead to a anime adaptation sooner or later by Studio Pierrot. The manga sales aren't slowing down either. Fuck me.

phaze

Baron Ashura's Tale 16-18

I love you Ashura, please forgive me for saying your shtick was getting stale, I was a dirty heathen unworthy of your h̶a̶m̶ glory.

After previous few, increasingly disappointing, episodes this was a welcome return to form. Wait no that doesn't decribe it properly. It was more like a jump to a previously unexplored heights. I lack the gifs or words to fully describe what has transpired in these two episodes but it started out with something resembling ME's repears fused with a throwback toFiend Without a Face and it only got crazier after that. Bizzarro alliances, time travel, bloody Tristan&Izolda shoved down into Greek Mythology, naive moron Zeus duking it out with Hades + Ashura flashback and subsequent meltdown. Into my veins please.

I hope there will be more of 4th wall being shattered in the future. My favourite bit so far was Kabuto Kouji arguing with the narrator in the midst of a fight.

Gate: 03

I came for Military Vs Fantasy and they're delivering on that, cool. One day they'll slay that dragon.

The girls aren't bad which suprised me.
We haven't seen much of them though besides the cheeky goth lolita who's the best of the bunch.
Probably because she's Erina

cajunator

Banned
So would you guys still watch a anime series even if you were spoiled ahead of time about a plot development or something?

I mean I was spoiled on Code Geass
about Lelouch dying.
Then again it was partially my fault because I still haven't finished the series yet even though it's been some time since I watched it and I stopped for some reason.

It depends on the spoiler, but usually it doesnt make me stop watching something if it is good enough.

Gate 3

Waifu of the year all years forever and ever

At last I have discovered love. What a wonderful feeling.

Lol. She is quite amazing. I called it! The rule of gothic lolitas.

Welcome, come by again next time you hurt yourself watching anime, lol.

If the show is as nationalistic as people say, he's not going to be switching sides, especially after what the ruler of the kingdom was doing during ep.2.

Yeah, I can see that harem, but it will probably be comedic than anything...

Fatal has actually been on Gaf a long time. He rarely stops by in here but posts a lot in FGC>

Soma 15

I've been saying it the last 15 weeks and I will continue to say that this show is really, really great. It's so fun.

However, I hate the new opening. I much preferred the last one. I can see how Shonen fans might appreciate it but I really liked the first OP.
The fact that they replaced the Spice ED with this weak ED should be a crime. Both the new OP and ED have weaker songs to go with them too. This is really the first time I have been disappointed with this show about something.

Yeah I still cant forgive them for changing from Spice. I cant.

Yeah, I guess I can invoke the "fun things are fun" clause for the stuff I do enjoy; it just sucks that the final decisions for some shows aren't more "let's make this show the best it can be" and instead more "let's do whatever's best for business". Not that they don't fortunately overlap sometimes, though to what degrees varies from show to show.
As a side note, I don't really care how they promote stuff -- the only place where it really starts to encroach on what I'm watching is if the in-show fanservice is extra gratuitous or seems severely out-of-place. And I tend to steer clear of shows where it looks like that might be a problem anyway.

This is really the bitter pill for me; I'm very poor at separating the logic of "a new anime season won't really help grow this LN anymore" from the wishes of "but why not make a Hataraku Maou-sama (or whatever) S2 when it sold comparatively well and got a good reception?" On the other hand, part of the problem there somewhat stems from the fact that a domestic viewer who just wants to see how the story continues can just pick up the source material easily and go from there, whereas even if an overseas fan just wanted that, they're often screwed. But I guess increased manga and LN licensing does seem to be gradually mitigating that? At least for the most popular series. Though you run the risk of a poor translation (I don't know how Yen keeps pumping out stuff at a regular pace and keeps adding more superlong series) and it doesn't beat seeing it brought to life in animation, but I suppose it's better than nothing.

I've also got a whole other set of depression reserved for the North American anime industry, but that's another topic entirely.

Man, I'm rambling quite a bit, aren't it.

Arti, if anime makes you depressed nowadays perhaps its time for a less damaging hobby to you?
I dont want you to force yourself to do something if you dont enjoy it :(

Prison School 2
I didn't know R Kelly was in this. This anime is...I don't even know you guys. It's filthy.

Monster Musume 2
#Dead. This show is the funniest shit I've seen in a long time, and maybe the best harem anime since Urusei Yatsura.

best harem anime since UY? thats an interesting claim...
UY was a pretty great harem though.
I think Tenchi was better overall though.

Time for the movie.

Ohhh man. I dunno if they are ready for that. Is it possible to be ready for that?

Watched EVO for the whole day, so drained. Maybe I should start the third season of Working!!! tho.

I heard EVO was crap this year. SOmething about the format or certain popular games not being featured. I just know some FGC friends didnt like it much.

Shokugeki no Souma 15:
This show feels so lacking without Spice ending it.
New OP was cool though.

Spice really tied the show up in a neat bow. Its unfamiliar territory and will take some time to adjust.

i miss the first shokugeki ED already

:(

Baron Ashura's Tale 16-17

I love you Ashura, please forgive me for saying your shtick was getting stale, I was a dirty heathen unworthy of your h̶a̶m̶ glory.

After previous few, increasingly disappointing, episodes this was a welcome return to form. Wait no that doesn't decribe it properly. It was more like a jump to a previously unexplored heights. I lack the gifs or words to fully describe what has transpired in these two episodes but it started out with something resembling ME's repears fused with a throwback toFiend Without a Face and it only got crazier after that. Bizzarro alliances, time travel, bloody Tristan&Izolda shoved down into Greek Mythology, naive moron Zeus duking it out with Hades + Ashura flashback and subsequent meltdown. Into my veins please.

I hope there will be more of 4th wall being shattered in the future. My favourite bit so far was Kabuto Kouji arguing with the narrator in the midst of a fight.

Now you're getting to the really good stuff. :)

-Minsc-

GATE 1

So just to be clear, protag was already in the military before the Stargate opened, correct? That was the job that funded his hobby? That's the only way I can make sense of him knowing how to fight and how to handle the situation.

Regardless, that was awesome. I can already tell I'm gonna like this.

One does have to do a bit of a double take for that to sink in. I'm not accustomed to seeing a non-teenage protagonist who's actually realistically experienced. What's more jarring is he's my age (33). For an older MC I would have expected him to be in his 20's.

cajunator

Banned
Sailor Moon Crystal - 26

I can't believe I managed to finish this. What a waste of a freaking year. Boring art, boring animation, boring music, boring characters, boring plot development. Everything was so boring I don't even feel like using another adjective.

Thats unfortunate, but at least we have gotten a rerelease of the original this time uncut.
The new series was fraught with problems from the start, and for a while we didnt even know what episode format it was in. I didnt have much expectations to begin with but I do share in the disappointment that it wasnt at least pleasantly surprising.

Himouto Umaru-Chan 01-02
I relate to Umaru on a spiritual level, only I prefer diet cola.

Lol same, only I drink green tea like she downs soda.

Sterok

The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 16

Kyon-kun denwa. Brings back memories. The Endless Eight stuff was great. Romance not so much. This show does comedy so much better than romance.

Thus ends Haruhi season 2.5. If you want more Haruhi or liked alternate Nagato, it's a decent watch. It never did serious stuff well, but the funny bits were fine. It's not a real season 3, but you work with what you've got.

jbug617

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 15

Soma is really naive about his father when all the signs are in front of him.

They are skipping the Karaage Wars Arc it seems. Maybe it's going to be an OVA.
It's too bad would of like to see more Meat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan 16

Kyon-kun denwa. Brings back memories. The Endless Eight stuff was great. Romance not so much. This show does comedy so much better than romance.

Thus ends Haruhi season 2.5. If you want more Haruhi or liked alternate Nagato, it's a decent watch. It never did serious stuff well, but the funny bits were fine. It's not a real season 3, but you work with what you've got.
Oh wait, that's the end? What a weird episode order.

But that said, it makes the ending that much more amusing.

Oh wait, that's the end? What a weird episode order.

But that said, it makes the ending that much more amusing.

Yep. Kadokawa had the extra slots/finances from Prism Illya being 10 episodes, so why not put them on a title you'd think would sell (except all trends pointed downward and Producer Ito fails yet again).

Shokugeki no Soma 15

You mean Master Chef father who sent me to this Master Chef school once went to said Master Chef School?!

Really Soma it was kinda obvious.

Also the Tsundere levels are off the charts with Erina

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yep. Kadokawa had the extra slots/finances from Prism Illya being 10 episodes, so why not put them on a title you'd think would sell (except all trends pointed downward and Producer Ito fails yet again).
Ah, it's a bomba? Too bad. I thought the show was fine as a shoujo with obtuse references to the "mothership".

But you know, the idea of just buying a load of slots and splitting them up between different shows seems like a good idea. There's no reason shows need to be 12/13 episodes other than disc sales, but why not have 10+16 or 8+8+8? It'd let shows be as long as they need to be, and theoretically you can pimp more IPs.

Bakemonogatari 11

Weird OP, that one. But I liked it.

Well, I figured there was more to Hanekawa, but I certainly
wasn't expecting her to be a furry an awesome looking, possessed, spirit kitty.
It was also great to get a little bit more background on Shinobu.

Bakemonogatari 12

Oh man, that was awesome; such a beautiful episode. ;_; The car ride was awkward as hell & pretty funny, and the stargazing part was really nice. It felt like a calm before the storm, though.

One does have to do a bit of a double take for that to sink in. I'm not accustomed to seeing a non-teenage protagonist who's actually realistically experienced. What's more jarring is he's my age (33). For an older MC I would have expected him to be in his 20's.
Yeah, it's not something you see all too often. It'd be great to get more adult protagonists in anime.

BluWacky

Ah, it's a bomba? Too bad. I thought the show was fine as a shoujo with obtuse references to the "mothership".

I've noticed you mention you think Nagato Yuki-chan is a shoujo series before. What gives you that impression? Although demographics are meaningless blah blah blah it's originally a seinen series; is it purely the focus on relationship drama that makes you treat it like its target audience is female?

Yona of the Dawn 18-22

This is a long series of episodes just to get the green dragon but they have been relatively enjoyable compared to episode 15-16.

I planed on only reporting until I finished the series but episode 22 was very gratifying and one of the best episodes of the show. Really elevated the show! And the cliffhanger at the end of the episode was awesome. I did not see it coming until a few seconds before it happened. Really great. So I am assuming since there are only 2 episodes left that they won't be finding the
yellow dragon.

PK Gaming

I'm looking forward to it quite a bit but I promised a friend I'd watch it with her this Sunday. It's taken all my willpower to not trudge forward alone.

It's a good thing you're watching it with a friend because both of you are going to need to need to immediately talk to each other after it's done

Get ready for... something.

Charlotte 03

Man, these kids are just straight up thugs. What happened to keeping your powers a secret?

New girl is pretty interesting I guess, I still don't like the sister though, when she isn't on screen the show instantly improves.

Charlotte 03

Man, these kids are just straight up thugs. What happened to keeping your powers a secret?

New girl is pretty interesting I guess, I still don't like the sister though, when she isn't on screen the show instantly improves.

I'm really curious on who Charlotte is.

It turns out everything was just a dream envisioned by Charlotte from the very beginning.

I'm really curious on who Charlotte is.

It turns out everything was just a dream envisioned by Charlotte from the very beginning.

There's this long haired girl in the intro, I think she's Charlotte.

SO0E90Vh.jpg

Here, she shows up right after the main cast.

I also have a stupid theory that Charlotte is the name of a comet which is giving them their superpowers.

Gakkou Gurashi! - 01

I was , like Bored during this first episode....

But then the last 4 minutes were worth it ...
Would have probably have dropped this show already if that part wasn't there.

Wait the pink teacher
isn't real ? WTF

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've noticed you mention you think Nagato Yuki-chan is a shoujo series before. What gives you that impression? Although demographics are meaningless blah blah blah it's originally a seinen series; is it purely the focus on relationship drama that makes you treat it like its target audience is female?
I mean, it uses and subverts a lot of shoujo tropes purposefully, but also the moments when it uses Nagato as a POV character it definitely drops into the same shoujo aesthetic as say Ore Monogatari. Heck, even when it's Kyon, it can feel like Ore Monogatari.

At some point I've separated the demographic and the aesthetic/genre, since there are times when the two don't necessarily fit each other. I guess you could say the show is a seinen with shoujo aesthetics, but that seems to be an unnecessary detail for the sake of discussion.

That and I don't really know where most of these mangas are originally printed. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom