• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

I know what itsl ike to be too busy to enjoy hobbies certainly. With few exceptions, I am at least a couple of weeks behind any broadcast, if not months.
At least you were able to still maintain yourself as a part of this community and enjoy the discussion here. Once I started working and my free time dried up, the same couldn't be said for me. Though I'd kind of exhausted my welcome and reputation here by that point anyway.

Shimoneta - 03

This keeps on being goofy, I really enjoy it. New character is fun, elevated by based satomi. Too bad there wasn't much sleepy-chan
Looking forward to what happens next with the awakening! RELEASE THE BEAST
lJsu3dD.jpg
r9kGqY6.jpg

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Episode 3

Pretty slow start but at least its kind of picking up the pace. I cant wait until all this character introduction stuff is over, I want real action and real plot.

KazenY2J

Having a lot of trouble finding shows to watch this season. I wrote off prison school initially because I read the manga and new it was going to be shit but oh man I'm genuinely enjoying it. Its taking itself seriously in a really dumb way, different from the manga.

Ore Monogatari and Prison School seem to be the only thing going this season though. Anything I'm missing?
Gangsta
Charlotte
Ushio to Tora
Rokka no Yuusha
Gakkou Gurashi
Overlord
GATE
Sore ga Seiyuu
Working 3 and Gatchaman Crowds also if you've seen previous seasons.

cajunator

Banned
Shokegeki no Soma - 1
I've heard really good things about this show on GAF, so I figured I would give it a try. I know it has a lot of fan service, which usually is a big turn off for me, but I was curious - same reason I watched Prison School's first episode, really.

Well, episode 1 was a hell of a lot of fun. Soma is cool, it was funny and the food all looked so good. As for the fan service well... the fact that its mostly reactions to the food sort of made it... ok? It made it... funny. I'm not sold on it. I generally try to avoid fan service and anything involving tentacles, but at least here I can laugh at it (Where as a show like Dog Days it just makes me shake my head and roll my eyes).

The last point is that its also a "high school" show which also really bugs me. I'm so utterly tired of that trope. The first episode only touched on it at the end but thats really what the show is about, it seems. Well, hopefully it can be like Kill la Kill in that regard and just be totally absurd.

Anyways, gonna keep going on this one. Wonder just what I've gotten myself into...

Youve gotten yourself into something wonderful.

The lack of Utsu-tsu screen time is absurd.

tumblr_mvt3z73PxS1smxftko1_500.gif

oh I can make that origami frog!

Articalys

There's a slight gap between Shounen and Seinen/Shojo and Josei where series could appeal to teens/young adults in either magazine category. Those labels aren't as strict as they used to be though. Essentially what gets animated is meant to appeal to teenagers/young adults and that's generally who buys the merch/music/video discs/etc. People can save funds to buy the discs, though with the increase in streaming services in Japan, the video disc market isn't as powerful as it was.
Yeah, genre definitions aren't really that rigid, though I guess I'm just disappointed that the need to appeal to both group simultaneously feels like it's holding back what can get animated just a little bit. Think I want more shows that can be straightforward mature like Death Parade was, so I probably need to rely more on original projects? Or maybe I'm just getting old or really picky about what I want to watch.

I'd thought that buying multiple BD volumes for a late-night show was outside the budget range of most teenagers though, unless they just get 1-2 series a year or something.

Is the highlighted, combined with the discussion I remember hearing about calls for better conditions for animators, part of what could lead to some industry shifting within a few years?

Tuck

Food Wars - Episode 2
Damn that was a great episode. Funny, and with a surprising amount of tension as she goes to taste the dish. And the ending where he fails anyways, haha. Love it, this show knows how to have fun.

Stuff I've been watching so far:

Wagnaria!!! S3 1-2

Awesome.

Himouto Umaruchan 1-2

Pretty funny. Umaru is adorable.

Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa 1-2

Cool series but I really hate the art style.

GATE Ep. 1

Kinda meh.

Rokka 1

Ehh.

Prison School 1

The anime does not do the art justice. Still hilarious though.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight 03

That twist near the end of the episode. That got me so good
but Rui totally isn't going to die
Gel's Gatchaman form looks like a villain a lot. I am so glad they kept the original transformation music.

Also something to note is that in the commercial break and return Insight is actually in sight. I dunno what what means.

Gatchaman Crowds Insight Episode 3:

I really hope you were not too attached to much of the Season 1 supporting cast because right now it is all about Gelsadra and Tsubasa hoovering up the screen time in earnest.

I only care about Hajime-ssu. Everyone else is expendable.

Szadek

Shimoneta - 03

This keeps on being goofy, I really enjoy it. New character is fun, elevated by based satomi. Too bad there wasn't much sleepy-chan
Looking forward to what happens next with the awakening! RELEASE THE BEAST
The show is so much better than it has any business being.

Yeah, genre definitions aren't really that rigid, though I guess I'm just disappointed that the need to appeal to both group simultaneously feels like it's holding back what can get animated just a little bit. Think I want more shows that can be straightforward mature like Death Parade was, so I probably need to rely more on original projects? Or maybe I'm just getting old or really picky about what I want to watch.

I'd thought that buying multiple BD volumes for a late-night show was outside the budget range of most teenagers though, unless they just get 1-2 series a year or something.

Is the highlighted, combined with the discussion I remember hearing about calls for better conditions for animators, part of what could lead to some industry shifting within a few years?

Rely on projects that lean heavily towards TV station input like notaminA (though that's half/half now with Aniplex and their funding towards movies) and NTV's output. They tend to focus on titles people want to see for advertising revenue and promotion towards live-action films. You may be getting picky, but there's nothing wrong with that. I'm very picky due to my tastes regarding photography now.

Most buyers only buy 1-2 series a year. It's the hardcore "live on ramen" fans who buy multiple series a year. This is changing though. One reason to get discs is a permanent way to not rely on AT-X re-airings or chance to rent a show, but now people can stream non-TBS shows very easily on Bandai, NicoNico, or danimestore. It takes a special show now to get buyers hooked.

Industry conditions for animators are not going to change unless you change the studios and how they get funded in the first place. With multiple committees wanting multiple projects simultaneously, there'll always be more projects wanting to get pushed ASAP. This is why I'm trying to support KyoAni going it (nearly) alone with their projects; they'll continue to pay liveable wages and properly schedule works. Additionally, there's no guarantee that going to a TV station funded model will work either. It's just very risky now for a lot of companies with how buyers are shifting around in purchasing methods. I used to admire Khara as a studio that took care of their employees, but due to how their projects aren't consistent, they'll hire staff as needed and let them go after. Things like Anime Mirai or the kickstarter dorms/projects/etc are at best a stopgap. You'd have to get studios to follow in the KyoAni/Toei/Sunrise model and there's not enough funding to support that from the fans (domestic and/or internationally). I can't say what the right move is, but it's going to hurt people one way or another.

Symphogear GX 03

CSH1KKz.jpg
rKqiekn.jpg
F30Ei3i.jpg

Relax Hibiki you just cut your finger geez

"We just got our asses beat by touhous and dancing robots"

next scene

"LETS SING ABOUT BEEF STROGANOFF LOL"

So now they have no one who can fight? I have no clue where this is going but I hope the commander beats some ass

Red Photon Zillion ep 2-10

I tend to marathon things quickly, so it's not surprising I'm 1/3rd done with the show after starting last night.

Zillion is definitely an 80s show. Between the music, photography, layouts, etc, it feels like a great example of what creators wanted to do with the medium at that time and the constraints of television. There isn't a big long-arc storyline beyond "we're in a war. The bad guys lose each battle" but the writing remains very different each episode so it feels fresh. My big complaint is how the scenario shifted from Champ being the boss and JJ having to take orders while being comedicly awful to JJ being serious and the boss and Champ doing stupid things while being pushed aside in episode 10. People who hate Kirito would have a field day with that episode.

Technically, I'm still impressed with the series. The future IG staff do a good job with the technical limitations of the era and allow the painting staff at Tatsunoko/KyoAni to shine with their techniques. The color design is very appealing and keeps things looking sharp each episode. Animation-wise, it's pretty good. Being limited with an actual camera means special effects/filters aren't used often, but they're effective when used. I'm pleased.

The OP/ED have a completely different tone to the rest of the show, but somehow remain catchy. King Records (I'm surprised NTV didn't use VAP given they own them) did a good job with the songs. Definitely 80s music though (which I confess to being fond of).

Only 1/3rd of the way though the show and I'm looking forward to what's coming up.

phaze

Think I busted a lung or something.

Having trouble breathing after that last bit.

So this is the mythical Ass Man?

I already consider him to be a hero.

And for at least one more week.

Yes that's him. You're about the last person I expected to not read the manga. Shameless behaviour for the supposed lord of smut.

I really dislike this gradient coloring thing they''re using for this.

MSMrRound

Symphogear GX Episode 3:

This show, this fucking show.

Delivering cooking recipes through song.

Symphogear GX Episode 3

I can't believe that Symphogear
directly refereced (in real life) Mizuki Nana's drawing that they used as inspiration for the design of the noise

This freaking show. Brb laughing and dying at the same time.

Oh, Kirika's transformation was very nicely done. Mmm love the focus on legs.

Symphogear GX 03

So now they have no one who can fight? I have no clue where this is going but I hope the commander beats some ass

Genjuro: "stand back! I got this!" *Bursts into Police Story yet again while hammering the baddies*. I'm okay with this.

Qurupeke

Gatchaman Crowds

That twist and stabbing at the end was expected but it really was amazing. Actually, I'd be fine if Rui died by the end of S2. He has fulfilled his purpose as a character. On another note, Gelsandra doing what people want is so easy to use to turn her bad. Just have here misunderstand people's desire. Tsubasa is pretty cool so far, she finally does something great, I hope her fight won't be interrupted. Hajime-ssu and Katze continue to be the best duo though. As long as every episode has Katze trolling, I'll love his part. I still want to know where they go with him though, as the VAPE leader is essentially his creation.

Charlotte

I didn't like the episode as much as the previous ones. The story was kinda dumb and they used their abilities without any secrecy. Unless the person responsible for the school has a memory altering ability or something, this would cause trouble. Other than that, it was okay. The abilities keep being interesting and new characters appear.

Shimosekai 03

Yeah I don't think this shows gimmick is going to wear off for me. It's pretty good.

Wait they are actually selling this? I don't even know where you would keep 7 meters, that's like three people. Also there's no point if it can't constrict you!

Cindurrelhurr Gals 14

Oh and we're introduced to Mayu Sakuma, who, reading that Wiki entry, is the scariest thing alive.

One of Mayu's in-game comments has her noticing the Producer with a new necktie, suddenly volunteering to fix it, and then questioning if it was a gift from another woman. The implication is she could easily strangle him if that's the case.

Yandere idols, it was only a matter of time.

Hyouka - 3

CKOsYfyVEAAF0aq.png:large

PRAISE THE SUNFLOWER

So there's a bigger mystery going on this show regarding Chitanda's uncle.

The guy who brought them the books sure went to a lot of effort to cover up the fact that he was smoking. One would think from the way he acted that he was doing something more extreme.

Decent episode.

Working!! S2 6

An episode that made me sad for multiple reasons but everything resolved by the end. Well... Except everyone being mean to Yamada. Sigh...

e_i

Gate episode 3

Rory GET. Her introduction was a lot less violent than the manga.
And the bandits weren't raping anyone either.

Ascheroth

Shin Mazinger Z 1

So, since it came up a few times in the last pages it got me interested and I decided to start watching it.

I have no words to describe what I just witnessed. I have no idea what the hell was going on, I only know one thing: I loved every second of it. This is the kind of hot-blooded crazy shit I need.

V4CixmD.png
CJPZkdM.png

Yes, I truly wasn't ready.

yami4ct

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

I sadly missed this in theaters and it took me a while to get around to getting the Blu-Ray. I'm really sorry I waited for so long. This film has instantly become one of my favorites. Not only is it one of the most stunningly beautiful films I've ever seen, but it tells a beautiful, emotional tale. I'm not sure what else I can say about it. It's a wonderful addition to the Ghibli pantheon and deserves to live on as one of their finest works. I'm so glad I own this film now.

Working!!3 Ep. 3

aMqh7AB.png

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS.

THE PLOT PROGRESSED.
GO SATOU GOOOOO!!!!

Damn I missed this show. Everyone is just so, so good. We also got like 5 seconds of Matsumoto as well. I also forgot that there's also a Soma and Tadoroki in this show too haha.

Can someone summarize Yachiyo and Kyoko's relationship with the siblings? I have a vague idea but I forgot. They were in a gang in school or something right?

The Tale of Princess Kaguya

I sadly missed this in theaters and it took me a while to get around to getting the Blu-Ray. I'm really sorry I waited for so long. This film has instantly become one of my favorites. Not only is it one of the most stunningly beautiful films I've ever seen, but it tells a beautiful, emotional tale. I'm not sure what else I can say about it. It's a wonderful addition to the Ghibli pantheon and deserves to live on as one of their finest works. I'm so glad I own this film now.

A masterpiece and quite the gut punch too. I felt a wide range of emotions watching this. Just loved everything about it.

Sterok

Charlotte 3

The individual story for this episode was nice. The whole thing between Yusa, Misa, and Sho was good. Hopefully the main plot starts soon. The main cast is playing off each other well. Misa seems really powerful though. What was the weakness of her pyrokinesis? She seemed to have pretty solid control of it.

yami4ct

A masterpiece and quite the gut punch too. I felt a wide range of emotions watching this. Just loved everything about it.

I found it hard to write anything more about it because it was so emotional affecting. It's truly one of the great works on every level.

Articalys

Industry conditions for animators are not going to change unless you change the studios and how they get funded in the first place. With multiple committees wanting multiple projects simultaneously, there'll always be more projects wanting to get pushed ASAP. This is why I'm trying to support KyoAni going it (nearly) alone with their projects; they'll continue to pay liveable wages and properly schedule works. Additionally, there's no guarantee that going to a TV station funded model will work either. It's just very risky now for a lot of companies with how buyers are shifting around in purchasing methods. I used to admire Khara as a studio that took care of their employees, but due to how their projects aren't consistent, they'll hire staff as needed and let them go after. Things like Anime Mirai or the kickstarter dorms/projects/etc are at best a stopgap. You'd have to get studios to follow in the KyoAni/Toei/Sunrise model and there's not enough funding to support that from the fans (domestic and/or internationally). I can't say what the right move is, but it's going to hurt people one way or another.
I think I need to go back and read that old ANN article about how anime gets made; I forgot how a lot of the committee makeup stuff works. I'd like to hope that animation studios as factories to crank out shows, leading to rushed productions, is an exception and not a more commonplace thing. I'm never really sure who to blame if a show consistently has weak animation or really off-model character design a lot of the time.
It's really the sort of thing that needs to get worse before it gets better, huh?

Re: the bolded -- I understand KyoAni well enough by this point, but how do Toei and Sunrise factor in? I though Toei was the company people joked about dreading to handle adaptations?

Kenstar

Working!!3 Ep. 3

aMqh7AB.png

YEEEESSSSSSSSSS.

THE PLOT PROGRESSED.
GO SATOU GOOOOO!!!!

Damn I missed this show. Everyone is just so, so good. We also got like 5 seconds of Matsumoto as well. I also forgot that there's also a Soma and Tadoroki in this show too haha.

Can someone summarize Yachiyo and Kyoko's relationship with the siblings? I have a vague idea but I forgot. They were in a gang in school or something right?

Yachiyo was saved from bullies by Kyouko, andbecame her #1 fangirl ever since. The twins were Kyouko's followers in their 'gang'. Yachiyo is called chief by them because she's the chief of staff, nothing to do with respect/rank or anything, which was confusing me and made me think yachiyo was the one in the gang for a bit

I think I need to go back and read that old ANN article about how anime gets made; I forgot how a lot of the committee makeup stuff works. I'd like to hope that animation studios as factories to crank out shows, leading to rushed productions, is an exception and not a more commonplace thing. I'm never really sure who to blame if a show consistently has weak animation or really off-model character design a lot of the time.
It's really the sort of thing that needs to get worse before it gets better, huh?

Re: the bolded -- I understand KyoAni well enough by this point, but how do Toei and Sunrise factor in? I though Toei was the company people joked about dreading to handle adaptations?

Nope, your metaphor of factories rushing to complete something on time is what really happens. The schedule breakdowns are very common (especially for places like A-1) and you need to contract out cuts to people who are already swamped and there's little time to catch up (see the delays people whine about from CR).

It's impossible for someone outside production to pinpoint exactly the cause of a delay. The "production manager/desk/etc" is your scapegoat in charge of keeping things on schedule, but if your big animators send you sub-quality work, you have to have it corrected, which takes time away from something else and then you have to balance quality/time. It's a tough position for anyone to be in. With revenue as fluid as it is, studios need to ensure they survive by taking on whatever they can, much to the detriment of the actual animator/painting/photography staff.

I mention Toei and Sunrise not because of their actual animation production style, but of being the driving force behind production in the re-make/Gundam sense. Those studios have enough financial support (from Toei Group/Bandai Namco respectively) to foot the bill of various shows and can push them much like KyoAni does on a smaller scale. Being able to be big enough to take those risks and pull it off is very rare for studios and it's why that model won't work for everyone. From a business sense, I'd love to see it happen, but realistically it wouldn't work due to the small buyers.

Yachiyo was saved from bullies by Kyouko, andbecame her #1 fangirl ever since. The twins were Kyouko's followers in their 'gang'. Yachiyo is called chief by them because she's the chief of staff, nothing to do with respect/rank or anything, which was confusing me and made me think yachiyo was the one in the gang for a bit

Ah yes, now I remember. Yeah, the siblings calling her chief confused me, thought they were talking about Kyoko. So Mashiba 1 and 2 are just over protective of Yachiyo.

yami4ct

DeNA confirms buying MAL.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2015-07-18/dena-confirms-myanimelist-buyout/.90591

How very interesting. Wonder if that will mean more money to develop it.

MAL is a great source of data, but they definitely could use a huge UI redesign. It's such an ugly and not easy to use site.

What the heck is Dena?

Japanese mobile publisher that's rapidly expanding into new territories like GungHo is also doing. Their the ones partnering with Nintendo on their mobile stuff.

A Smash Bros. anime would be just amazing. That Palutena reveal with Link vs Pit still gets me excited.

I just want to see Pikachu do the shaft head tilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom