• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterok

Aikatsu 26

New op hype. Not as good as the first, but still good. New ed is definitely better. I'm liking Sakura already more than Otome and Yurika. Polite, strong-willed, and isn't dominated by her quirk. I'm mostly looking forward to red girl however. She looks fun. Overall, Ichigo is a solid protagonist, Aoi is the best and unstoppable, and Ran is great but was overhyped seeing how she never wins.

cajunator

Banned
Shimometa 04

ZogrUdQ.gif

More drool then Prisma Ilya.

So this is how it all ends

New Funimation announcements:

Liking the Black Lagoon Collectors edition. I might get that if I want to upgrade from the Geneon collection I have for the show.

Noein is a good pick up. Hopefully they'll keep the special features Manga had for thier release.

javac

Excited for Speed Racer BD, very surprised Funimation acquired and are releasing it.

Noein is a good pick up. Hopefully they'll keep the special features Manga had for thier release.
Never watched Noein, but I was just looking at the Japanese Blu-ray set last night coincidentally and just thought to myself how nice the artwork looked on it compared to the UK DVD set which made the series look like garbage and didn't sell it to me at all.

Holy fuck I just realized Young Handsome Gel-chan is voiced by Sugita.

First I thought she was a female than it was later revealed she's actually a male. Sweet Jesus Gatchaman Crowds Insight is becoming one hell of a ride.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
SenkiZesshou Symphogear - 02

Intresting Second episode.

Symphogear start is alright.

Like the show is so self aware that it has no basis in reality , it even make fun of itself and rolls with it ... Your attidtude doesn't make sense, no matter ..let's go !
3 different characters commented on it during this episode as if the staff was saying : " we know , it's plot hole HEAVY , but it's fun right ???"

SO yeah , quite enjoyable. i also like how episode 2 ended , i hope they take care of this problem quickly ..but i won't hold my breath ..

So like they are fighting AND singing at the same time ?? wouldn't their transformation run out with the slightiest concentration loss ?

Nevermind, plot hole , let's not talk about it for now.

================================

Looks like I need to check out Symphogear and Prisma Illya. :lol

Mandelbo

Either that or he's getting us mentally prepared to get our minds blown. I don't mind the pace the show has right now, but I am kinda curious because of what he said. Hope this isn't another Samurai Flamenco lmfao!

True. I just feel as if he should have a little more faith in his own story to hold people's attention 'till episode six :p
I'm gonna wait until the majority of the episodes are out before continuing to watch it, though. Rather watch it mostly in one go than stagger it out.

edit: that's the first spoiler tagged image I've seen since the fateful few days after they were implemented.

Razmos

Gatchaman Crowds Insight episode 4: I'm LOVING the way this is turning out.

Katze actually said something right in this episode, Gel Sadra IS going to be a huge problem. Katze's whole objective was causing widespread chaos and anarchy, and Gel is all about the total opposite, complete unity. Katze seems to be the first one to see this as a huge problem.

This is setting up some BIG parallels between Hajime/Berg Katze and Tsubasa/Gel Sadra. Especially with Hajime's cryptic conversation about conflict being good and the sparks that are caused by them. The entire framing of the conversation between Hajime and Tsubasa was to highlight that they are on completely opposite sides of this debate.

Hajime is chaos, we knew this from the first episode. It was always seen as her just being a bit ditzy and random but the show is actually addressing it now.
Tsubasa is all about order. We saw this from her first episode too, with all the breathing exercises.

The difference was also highlighted between Tsubasa's Grandfather and Hajime who both have grey Gel-Bubbles. Hajime is too chaotic to read, and Tsubasa-jii is too composed.

I honestly couldn't care less about the CROWDS story at the moment. I was hoping to see Rui more as a Gatchaman and less as the leader of the CROWDS, and I find this whole plotline pretty boring.

This was a slow episode, but a lot happened in the dialogue and in between the lines. The clever writing is why I love this show so much.

Shokugeki no Soma 16

In the world of shonen Soma got bodied by his father, a great reminder of how much farther he has to go as a chef. Another great episode glad to see they aren't skipping the kaarage arc.

Oh btw, I think some of the Summer animes deserves an OT dont you think?

Check the first post, lots of shows have OTs right now.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| Saiyan God Super Saiyan
Gatchaman Crowds Insight |OT| RETURN OF THE : >
Shokugeki no Soma Anime |OT| No man, foodgasms are TOTALLY a real thing
School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi) OT - A Perfectly Normal and Moe Slice Off Life Anime
Charlotte anime |OT| 5 Seconds in heaven; show me your power
Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER
Cinderella Girls |OT| A perfect fit for anime
Gintama° Series 3 |OT| It's Not Digimon Tri, But It'll Have To Do!
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!

Gangsta 04

So rather than just being really good at their job, Nic and the rest of the Dogtags are actually drugged up supersoldiers. This show is less grounded than I thought.

Also Worrick was a total fuckboy growing up.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kinda disappointed to discover that the School-Live manga is still running. That means either:

A. We'll get an anime-exclusive ending

B. We'll get a to-be-continued ending and the show won't get another season

or

C. Same as B. except we'll get another season like a year from now (if we're lucky)

I think this is a large part of why I mostly got out of anime about a year and a half ago (along with the whole burn-out thing). There's just no telling if something you like is actually going to continue past one season. I mean hell, Hataraku Maou-Sama/The Devil is a Part Timer, despite apparently selling really well, still hasn't gotten a second season after two years. I dunno. Unresolved stories are a huge pet peeve of mine, and that's what you seem to get a lot of the time with anime.

I'm gonna stick with School-Live because it's fantastic, but part of me can't help but wonder if I'd just be better off reading the manga.

Cornbread78

Shimoneta 4

Oh my goodness, that was something, lol. This show is fun stuff.

Kinda disappointed to discover that the School-Live manga is still running. That means either:

C. Same as B. except we'll get another season like a year from now (if we're lucky)

I'm gonna stick with School-Live because it's fantastic, but part of me can't help but wonder if I'd just be better off reading the manga.

And thar is exactly why we have the anime. I hate this about anime, a lot if it is manga advertising, unfortunately. It's ruined a lot of show with abrupt "non-endings"

Oh well, I still love the medium, so I'm part of the problem, lol.

Symphogear GX - 01

The moment I saw there was a mountain I went "they're obviously going to punch through it" and I was not disappointed! Hey Tsubasa maybe you should stop doing concerts, for some reason bad stuff happens.
New villain(s) might be cool with the whole dancing thing, the way she reflected bullets with the skirt was nice. Oh and there is a witch hat (!!!) in this, it looks pretty dope

John Blade

Well....watching Macross Plus The Movie is interesting. Post a quick impression in a day or so...

Also, need to get a new HD for my anime collection that I manage to convert.

There doesn't exist a set of parents in Shonen, it's always the father or the mother.

No Gohan doesn't count Goku is still the MC!

I was joking but I actually can't think of a shonen MC who has both parents now...
Even in JoJo when you know both of the parents you never see them because they are dead or don't matter, Jotaro's Dad/Jolyne's Mom/Josuke's Father don't matter and you never see them

Jarmel

Banned
There doesn't exist a set of parents in Shonen, it's always the father or the mother.

I was joking but I actually can't think of a shonen MC who has both parents now...
Even in JoJo when you know both of the parents you never see them because they are dead or don't matter, Jotaro's Dad/Jolyne's Mom/Josuke's Father don't matter and you never see them
Death Note

cajunator

Banned

Yeah. Always one or both missing. I guess that gives the protagonist some drive and independence.

KanameYuuki

The Umbrella episode 111 of Gintama was way too cute, Kagura is a little girl after all, Gin and Shinpachi really know how to make her smile, they way she fixed her umbrella, how she was mature and kind to give them that umbrella but still shy enough to just run away, and then that ending was just so lovely.

Dead

well not really...yet
?

That's almost certainly going to be an upscale and a bad one at that.
I can hope it'll at least be decent. Ive never owned the show :(, though I spent a ton of money on original Key Animation frames from the show back in the day

Soma

Check the first post, lots of shows have OTs right now.

Dragon Ball Super |OT| Saiyan God Super Saiyan
Gatchaman Crowds Insight |OT| RETURN OF THE : >
Shokugeki no Soma Anime |OT| No man, foodgasms are TOTALLY a real thing
School-Live! (Gakkou Gurashi) OT - A Perfectly Normal and Moe Slice Off Life Anime
Charlotte anime |OT| 5 Seconds in heaven; show me your power
Ushio and Tora TV |OT| ONE HUNDRED TIMES THE TESTOSTERONE OF DRAGON BALL SUPER
Cinderella Girls |OT| A perfect fit for anime
Gintama° Series 3 |OT| It's Not Digimon Tri, But It'll Have To Do!
Sailor Moon Crystal |OT| In the name of the manga, I'll entertain you!
+ my prison school ot
http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1078027

sonicmj1

A while ago, I made a watchbet with a close friend of mine. You see, I wanted him to start watching The Wire, a show both staggeringly brilliant and remarkably different from all the other anime/VN stuff that he consumes. I told him I would watch any show he asked of me. He decided that I would watch this...

Clannad 1-9

And while I don't regret making the bet (he's seven episodes into The Wire and loving it), I'm not enjoying myself all that much so far.

My biggest issue with Clannad, the thing that sabotaged this entire arc of episodes, and the thing it does so poorly that the Wire does so astonishingly well, is that (to this point) Clannad isn't about people. Certainly there are characters that look like people, and sometimes they even have human problems (Tomoya returning home and seeing his father in episode 1 is probably the most powerful moment in the show so far). But they don't act like people. They act like walking trope machines. And nobody is worse about this than the focus of the first major arc of the show, Fuuko.

e61DiSr.jpg

This is Fuuko. She is the worst. Episodes 4-9 are entirely about her problems.

Fuuko is allegedly a high school student. She stands about four foot six, speaks like she's in fourth grade, and has a tendency to become so enamored with things in her imagination that she completely loses touch with reality for a minute at a time. She has a starfish obsession and has decided that by giving people unmarked starfish sculptures, they'll remember to come to her sister's wedding ceremony. And also, she's a
coma ghost astral projection that is slowly forgotten and ignored completely by people, which is sometimes related to them visiting her comatose body in the hospital except when it isn't, and except sometimes she's only kind of forgotten, and sometimes people conveniently re-remember her.

MbvbdWm.jpg

An image of Fuuko, a character with green hair, calling Sunohara's hair color unnatural. Nobody else's hair color is criticized in this way, even when she meets people with purple or white hair.

Stories concerning loss of memory can be tragic and heartbreaking. The story in Hyperion of Sol's daughter gradually aging backwards and losing her memory of her prior life one day at a time tore me apart when I read it. But that was a story about a character written like a human being, with problems one can both imagine and relate to real situations (a loved one with Alzheimer's, for instance). Fuuko's story is none of these things. Much as I tried, I could never connect with her problems, and that wall, as well as the melodramatic convolutions introduced to attempt to pull at my heartstrings
(like Nagisa's mother breaking down as she tried and failed to remember Fuuko)
severely muted the impact of this arc's climax.

This problem frequently recurs in less extreme ways across pretty much all the characters in different ways. What seem to be the central cast (Tomoya, Nagisa, Kyou, Sunohara) are less affected, while Tomoyo, Ryou (why is she constantly at the center of LGBT-related humor?) and that library chick are worse. The library girl seems to be the subject of the next arc, which fills me with dread.

The humor is pretty all over the map, and very typical Japanese anime stuff, complete with characters falling down to accentuate punchlines. Sometimes it works, and most of the time it doesn't. The tonal ping-pong early on makes both the comedy and drama less powerful for me, though that evened out as the arc continued. There are also a lot of very visual-novel things going on, particularly the unnatural way the soundtrack is used. The character art is typical Key, and as such looks pretty off-putting. I can't get used to that eye placement.

aJLpl7R.jpg
VUy01a9.jpg

These title-earning moments may exist in the interactive visual novel, but they do not work at all in the context of an anime. They make no sense. They're basically achievement popups.

It's a shame because Kyoto Animation clearly put a lot of effort into the animation. Comedic moments are energetic and fluid. The prologue scenes in the first three episodes look like they're animated on ones, giving them a unique uncanny effect that made them feel appropriately otherworldly. When the show isn't doing plain wipes to pop from disconnected VN scenes, the direction can be fairly powerful. But I can't get behind the material at all.

I knew what I was getting into when I started this. Most of the posters whose tastes hew close to mine don't particularly like this show, and most of the posters who rave about it have very different tastes from mine. I'm going to keep going, because I'm obligated and I hear that After Story is the big payoff, but I find it very frustrating thus far. I can't wait until these anime caricature pseudo-humans get kicked to the curb, because the stories involving the more rounded individuals at the center of the show might actually be affecting.

A. We'll get an anime-exclusive ending

B. We'll get a to-be-continued ending and the show won't get another season

or

I think this is a large part of why I mostly got out of anime about a year and a half ago (along with the whole burn-out thing). There's just no telling if something you like is actually going to continue past one season. I mean hell, Hataraku Maou-Sama/The Devil is a Part Timer, despite apparently selling really well, still hasn't gotten a second season after two years. I dunno. Unresolved stories are a huge pet peeve of mine, and that's what you seem to get a lot of the time with anime.

Since the School Live/Gakkou Gurashi anime has already made quite a few changes and anime-original additions to the manga material, I'd say chances of it getting an anime-original ending are fairly high.

But yes, if you can't stand open endings you'll need to be very picky in what anime you choose to watch, and certainly should wait until after a series finishes airing to see how it ends. It's not only faithful adaptations that can fall prey to this, but even with anime-original endings or anime-original entire stories you can often get dangling plot threads, ambiguous and confusing finales, and lots of unanswered questions left over. I think some of this is due to production teams hoping for sequels that never come to pass due to financial concerns, and part of this is due to anime writers just not caring about wrapping everything up with a tidy bow. It's something you have to at least tolerate if you're going to follow anime closely. Of course, you can get anime with very conclusive endings - recent examples include Ping Pong, Pupipo, Shounen Hollywood, and Shirobako. Based on what you're saying, I would recommend that you ask people about the endings of finished anime and restrict yourself to watching those which you can verify match your criteria.

The one shounen manga with a realistic treatment of both parents of the protagonist that comes to mind immediately is Flowers of Evil. Kasuga's father and mother are both present in his life and react in believable ways to what happens with him. Of course, Flowers of Evil is an unconventional shounen manga in many ways, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom