• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2015 |OT| SharingMana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mandelbo

Oi, MVM announced Kill Me Baby for next year. What sacrifices must be made to please the Gods BGBW?!

Next year? Taking them an awfully long time. I mean, I imported the US release way back in 2013 - I didn't even know it was getting a UK release!

Squishy3

BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad

• Anime Limited announced that they've rescued BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad and it'll be released on DVD this November.
  • BECK will be released as a complete collection with all 26 episodes and will contain both English dub and the original Japanese audio with English subtitles.
if only this somehow resulted in the rest of the manga being adapted :(

it's a crying shame it ended after greatful sound

Aquarion Logos 4
PLgWyOn.jpg
DcY4XLr.jpg
Did Jun Maeda write this episode? I can't complain though, because this silly tragic backstory and its aftermath was the most entertaining part of it.

Mandelbo

I like Journey because it's a very good example of storytelling without dialogue by use of the game's mechanics. It's something that I feel could only work as a game, as opposed to something like The Order which simply imitates another medium. Plus it's damn pretty and the art style is phenomenal, not to mention the soundtrack.

Well...GX's logo is pretty much based on Hibiki's berserker mode...

also...some fans are pushing the idea that Micah
pushed the damaged gear back into Hibiki's body due to excessive force.
well no ..it wxould imply the same problem that they solved by a deus ex machina in season 2 ( or a convenient method ) .. as i said it would be a total regression and a impressive waste of time.

Journey [PS4]

AOTY. More emotional than anything a waifu could give

I love journey BTW , did the journey 5 times on PS3 , it's fantastic , but not sure "why the waifus" ???

Charlotte ep 4
Wow, talk about a show that doesn't live to the first episode potential. Still the subsequent episodes have been amusing enough to keep me interested. This week in particular, that baseball game was certainly fun to watch, even if the animation was seriously lacking.

Qurupeke

Charlotte 4

Probably dropping this if it keeps being like that. The first two episodes were really good but the latest two... not so much. The sister is still annoying and repetitive, I don't like the blond girl and it's still a "Character of the week" type of show. The premise was great and I found the first few abilities quite interesting, but as the show goes they become more and more common. I really hope they'll pull a dramatic twist that will shake things soon.

Hyouka - 8

CKxwt0ZWsAA1FD5.png:large

I don't know if this was intentional, but I found this to be a pretty neat subtle reference to K-ON! and Clannad, two other shows that KyoAni worked on.

I really liked the little touches KyoAni made as to intentionally make the movie look like it was made by amateur high-school students. Shaky camera, bad acting, it was all there.

I'm a little iffy on the fact that this arc has to do with solving a mystery that was written by another student. It doesn't seem to serve much purpose.

The last arc at least had something to do with Chitanda's backstory with her uncle. It felt like something was accomplished when that mystery was solved.

This...I don't know. I'm kinda with Oreki on this one.

But I'll see how it plays out.

Didn't the creator say that after episode 6 in Charlotte, things were going to change dramatically, or something like that? So far no one even knows why this show is called Charlotte lmfao.

JulianImp

Durarara!! x2 転 - EP16
This show never ceases to amaze me with how it can juggle so many characters at once and having them interact in really interesting ways. I knew Varona's fixation with Shizuo could lead to this kind of development, but it doesn't feel out-of-character for her at all so all's good.

The punks who had it against Shizuo had it coming to them when they decided they'd kidnap the four girls that were with him as soon as he left them alone for a second. A reminder that you should never mess with any named DRR character, or else you'll end up regretting it badly.

Cornbread78

Didn't the creator say that after episode 6 in Charlotte, things were going to change dramatically, or something like that? So far no one even knows why this show is called Charlotte lmfao.

Yeah, ongoing hypothesis is that something happens at the end of ep.5/6 to the lil' sis which kicks up drama-mode.. As an original anime, nobody really knows though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hyouka - 8

I really liked the little touches KyoAni made as to intentionally make the movie look like it was made by amateur high-school students. Shaky camera, bad acting, it was all there.

I'm a little iffy on the fact that this arc has to do with solving a mystery that was written by another student. It doesn't seem to serve much purpose.

The last arc at least had something to do with Chitanda's backstory with her uncle. It felt like something was accomplished when that mystery was solved.

Remember to watch 11.5!

Mandelbo

It kinda struck me as a little weird that he had to say that. Why tell us that there's going to be a dramatic twist? If he's afraid that the audience are gonna drop it because it's boring or something he could remedy that by making the episodes prior to six as engaging as what comes after it.

Durarara X2 16

A Shizuo focused episode. Simply put, they are always a fun watch, especially when you throw the twins, Varona and Akane into the mix. Their interactions with one another really made the episode for me.

Deadly

Charlotte 4
The teleportation part really made me laugh. The faces were great. Besides that kind of a meh episode. Speculation on
why she made him possess the baseball guy at the end?

Jarmel

Banned
So I wasn't really planning on writing anything up till tonight but Narag wanted me to do a report on this panel so I'll do a mini one. So this panel was a fan analysis of themes and interpretations of Kill La Kill and normally I wouldn't bother commenting on it but I feel it's important to highlight the dangers of overreading into a text.

One of the first themes was that Satsuki and Ragyo's relationship is to mirror Japan/United States's relationship in a post WW2 Japan. There are multiple problems I have with this, the first being that Ragyo obviously exhibits a dominating personality but that's more typical of the usual alpha parent rather than anything with her exhibiting American traits. In fact she's closer to France due to the fashion aspect and her usage of French. It's no different than Walter's relationship in Breaking Bad with his son. Not to mention that Nakashima isn't really political in that manner with his other works.

For the Honnouji Town itself, it's not so much an analysis of Buddha stratification but the usual class system found in almost all dystopias. I suppose you can trace the very initial depictions in science fiction to Buddhist elements but it's such a common theme that unless the show brings something unique to the table, it's not worth attributing to Buddhism directly compared to the hordes of scifi/fantasy stories.

Another example has to do with tying Ryuuko to the traditional depiction of oni. While there are definitely connections, it's more likely holdovers from things such as Female Convict 701: Scorpion rather than any sort of direct inference on the part of Nakashima.

Hyouka - 8

Don't worry, the film arc is a major bit of character development for Oreki, and to a lesser extent the other leads. It also expresses quite clearly the series' philosophical approach to the mystery genre. The payoff is killer. Hope you enjoy it!

Remember to watch 11.5!

Sorry, but 11.5 really is superfluous and weak. Sandwiched as it is between two rather strong arcs makes it feel all the more lackluster.

phaze

Hyouka - 8

If you won't like this arc you'll get eaten alive by Hyouka-Gaf.

No pressure !

firehawk12

Subete no aware
11.5 is a pretty important episode
It's like the Destiny of anime episodes!
(I don't know what that means)

I will. I kinda have to, with this being a watchbet and all, haha.
I'm sure some would encourage you to skip it, like so...

Sorry, but 11.5 really is superfluous and weak. Sandwiched as it is between two rather strong arcs makes it feel all the more lackluster.
lol

Of course I think the show would have been much weaker without 11.5, to the point where I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much as I did if I didn't watch that shitty Nico Nico rip at the time it aired.

Of course I think the show would have been much weaker without 11.5, to the point where I don't know if I would have enjoyed it as much as I did if I didn't watch that shitty Nico Nico rip at the time it aired.

You're a weird one, firehawk, that's all I can say. I would go so far as to call 11.5 the one genuinely bad episode of Hyouka - the nice water animation is the only thing it has going for it. Even 6 is more interesting.

Hyouka - 8

It might seem less important at the start, but don't worry. This arc is pretty great, and the final episode was for me the moment that Hyouka went from something that I really enjoyed watching to something that I was blown away by. The arc is really well put together.

Firemind

Prison School 3

That's was a whole lot of lowbrow humor, poop, ass and gay jokes. I mean, I still laughed so it's doing something right, but it's clear this isn't going to be a very sophisticated comedy series.
As if there was any doubt.

I'm liking the visual direction of the series, Madhouse is on point.
Bruh

JC Staff is your savior. Not Madhouse.

JulianImp

Charlotte - EP4
Another decent episode. I still don't get why the protagonist has mellowed down so much since EP1, though. For the most part it feels like the main characters aren't getting enough development as each new episode tends to focus too much on whichever teenager they've got to rescue each week.

Also, I feel like the little sister's speech patterns become grating to listen to after a while. Reminds me of Rika-chama with a sprinkle of Kenshin, but not in a good way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You're a weird one, firehawk, that's all I can say. I would go so far as to call 11.5 the one genuinely bad episode of Hyouka - the nice water animation is the only thing it has going for it. Even 6 is more interesting.
For me, 11.5 is like when
Michael Piller demanded that they write an episode that directly addressed the consequences of Best of Both Worlds Part 2.

I don't even know why I'm spoilering that, but I guess even the context of that production note is a spoiler for what happens in the film arc. lol

Don't worry, the film arc is a major bit of character development for Oreki, and to a lesser extent the other leads. It also expresses quite clearly the series' philosophical approach to the mystery genre. The payoff is killer. Hope you enjoy it!

Good to know.

If you won't like this arc you'll get eaten alive by Hyouka-Gaf.

No pressure !

I'm enjoying the show, but it's mostly because of the characters not being obnoxious and annoying like one would expect from a LN adaptation.

That and they're actually quite enjoyable characters too.

It might seem less important at the start, but don't worry. This arc is pretty great, and the final episode was for me the moment that Hyouka went from something that I really enjoyed watching to something that I was blown away by. The arc is really well put together.

I'm sure I'll enjoy it just fine. I've set my expectations accordingly when I started this show and the only thing that's disappointed me so far is the fact that the Hyouka mystery covered in the last arc won't seem to get much focus in the future.

I actually really enjoyed that mystery, and it seemed to be like a big thing regarding the school. I thought it was going to have an impact on other events that happened in the show with the show's title sharing the same name as the mystery.

Like WWII in Tetsujin where everyone's motives always drew back to that.

Or the Barbatos Island incident in Shin Mazinger Z.

But someone on twitter notified me that that way of thinking was the wrong way to go about it, so I won't hold it against the show if that isn't what it's trying to do.

Narag

11.5 rocked.

So I wasn't really planning on writing anything up till tonight but Narag wanted me to do a report on this panel so I'll do a mini one. So this panel was a fan analysis of themes and interpretations of Kill La Kill and normally I wouldn't bother commenting on it but I feel it's important to highlight the dangers of overreading into a text.

One of the first themes was that Satsuki and Ragyo's relationship is to mirror Japan/United States's relationship in a post WW2 Japan. There are multiple problems I have with this, the first being that Ragyo obviously exhibits a dominating personality but that's more typical of the usual alpha parent rather than anything with her exhibiting American traits. In fact she's closer to France due to the fashion aspect and her usage of French. It's no different than Walter's relationship in Breaking Bad with his son. Not to mention that Nakashima isn't really political in that manner with his other works.

For the Honnouji Town itself, it's not so much an analysis of Buddha stratification but the usual class system found in almost all dystopias. I suppose you can trace the very initial depictions in science fiction to Buddhist elements but it's such a common theme that unless the show brings something unique to the table, it's not worth attributing to Buddhism directly compared to the hordes of scifi/fantasy stories.

Another example has to do with tying Ryuuko to the traditional depiction of oni. While there are definitely connections, it's more likely holdovers from things such as Female Convict 701: Scorpion rather than any sort of direct inference on the part of Nakashima.

Thanks!

cajunator

Banned
Hyouka - 8

This is close to where Misaki shows up. the show gets better after that.

Sterok

Charlotte 4

Pizza sauce is the greatest enemy. Otherwise an amusing, but ultimately dull episode. Still watchable, but nothing that makes this a must see yet.

JulianImp

Gatchaman Crowds Insight - EP4
Can't say I didn't see this coming. It'll probably take two or three more episodes before the plot gets going in full swing, but it isn't like this first few episodes are snooze-fests either, luckily.

R.D.Blax

please no. stop the berserker mode..if they do it , that would mean that they really don't have many ideas left.
Is it even possible for her to go berserker now that she doesn't have any gungir shards in her body ?

Well...GX's logo is pretty much based on Hibiki's berserker mode...

also...some fans are pushing the idea that Micah
pushed the damaged gear back into Hibiki's body due to excessive force.

Considering they will use Dáinsleif, a sword which is like the embodiment of blood lust, I won't be surprised if everyone this time go berserk in a few episodes.

And then we get Genjuro vs all Symphogear user

Shimoneta 4

Well that escalated quickly.
Didn't think Anna would jump straight to attempting rape. And that's not getting into the stalking and erm, certain kinds of fluid.

Charlotte 4

Still highly enjoyable but I understand the comments about it not developing the characters much this episode. I think ultimately this episodes purpose was to show how the main four characters work together, now that we have the whole group. This was also an episode where Yu
questions why he was so happy to win the baseball game and help Tomori with her goal.

I think the next episode, if my theory is right, should change it up and start dropping hints about where the show is going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom